Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was to the cabinet but the engineer said the cabinet doesn't have it and may not for.sometime. What other options do I have, Digiweb can only offer me satellite broadband which is a lousy 20mb and likely slower in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It was to the cabinet but the engineer said the cabinet doesn't have it and may not for.sometime. What other options do I have, Digiweb can only offer me satellite broadband which is a lousy 20mb and likely slower in the evenings

Look at this map
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map#%2Fhome

• Registered Users Posts: 24 annaboniface55

Does anybody know which areas of Cork is covered by UPC?

Ultimanemo wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I looked up the map and its saying there is a mast approx 500m to the south. It says its served by Meteor, 3 and Vodafone. For some reason the map filter does not show the mobile signal for Eir but as said before I have Eir on my mobile and there is virtually no signal inside the house and limited 3G when I walk 50m away from it.
    So Im left thinking my only options really are mobile BB or Digiweb satellite BB. Both claim speeds up to 20mb and both are 45 a month. Given a choice which would be the better pick of the two?

Also I noticed one of the neighbours has one of those tiny round dishes (looks to be smaller than a dinner plate) on their chimney. Is the idea to boost the signal of mobile BB and what other equipment is needed? If there is a way I can invest in my own equipment for a one off cost of a few hundred I dont mind going down that route either.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. I looked up the map and its saying there is a mast approx 500m to the south. It says its served by Meteor, 3 and Vodafone. For some reason the map filter does not show the mobile signal for Eir but as said before I have Eir on my mobile and there is virtually no signal inside the house and limited 3G when I walk 50m away from it.
    So Im left thinking my only options really are mobile BB or Digiweb satellite BB. Both claim speeds up to 20mb and both are 45 a month. Given a choice which would be the better pick of the two?

Also I noticed one of the neighbours has one of those tiny round dishes (looks to be smaller than a dinner plate) on their chimney. Is the idea to boost the signal of mobile BB and what other equipment is needed? If there is a way I can invest in my own equipment for a one off cost of a few hundred I dont mind going down that route either.
    Check "call them" Regional Broadband and Wicklow Broadband both are wireless broadband providers.
    The tiny round dish could be one of wireless broadband providers.
    Also look at Three coverage map
    https://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/

And Vodafone coverage map
    https://n.vodafone.ie/network/coverage.html

Satellite broadband you go for it if there is absolutely nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone on Airwire fibre to the cabinet VDSL?
    How is it and how is their support?

Same questions about Digiweb, i believe they do have a FUP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MaudL

Hiya,
    I'm currently with Virgin Media, on a broadband+phone package; they just emailed saying the price is going up which essentially will make it 62euro a month for broadband and a phone line I don't use, so off I go to the competition :)

- I only want broadband (phone if necessary to get a good deal, but really I don't need it), no TV
    - We watch Netflix and Youtube a lot
    - Other normal internet usage
    - No gaming, streaming, downloading of movies, etc
    - I'm in Dublin 18

I've used the bonkers site and saw some good offers (Sky, Pure, Digiweb) but they're for 100mbps versus the 240mbps for Virgin and I have no idea if that would be enough for me?

Any and all input much appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

MaudL wrote: »
    Hiya,
    I'm currently with Virgin Media, on a broadband+phone package; they just emailed saying the price is going up which essentially will make it 62euro a month for broadband and a phone line I don't use, so off I go to the competition :)

- I only want broadband (phone if necessary to get a good deal, but really I don't need it), no TV
    - We watch Netflix and Youtube a lot
    - Other normal internet usage
    - No gaming, streaming, downloading of movies, etc
    - I'm in Dublin 18

I've used the bonkers site and saw some good offers (Sky, Pure, Digiweb) but they're for 100mbps versus the 240mbps for Virgin and I have no idea if that would be enough for me?

Any and all input much appreciated. Thanks!

It will depend in which part of Dublin 18 you live in. Eir's FTTH service is available in Sandyford and possibly Carrickmines and Clay Farm, Leopardstown. Siro is in Clay Farm and in time Carrickmines & Sandyford. Worth checking out.

cunnijo wrote: »
    It will depend in which part of Dublin 18 you live in. Eir's FTTH service is available in Sandyford and possibly Carrickmines and Clay Farm, Leopardstown. Siro is in Clay Farm and in time Carrickmines & Sandyford. Worth checking out.

Ah thanks but I'm mostly interested in reducing cost while still meeting my basic needs. These are quite expensive.

Really what I need to know right now is whether the 100mbps is enough ''power'' for my internet usage.

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Check "call them" Regional Broadband and Wicklow Broadband both are wireless broadband providers.
    The tiny round dish could be one of wireless broadband providers.
    Also look at Three coverage map
    https://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/

And Vodafone coverage map
    https://n.vodafone.ie/network/coverage.html

Satellite broadband you go for it if there is absolutely nothing else.

Just coming back to thank you again for your help on this. I went with Vodafone 4G in the end, its pricey enough at 45 a month for a 24 month contract with 150GB limit but tbh I didnt have much choice. The main thing is it works pretty well so Im happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

MaudL wrote: »
    Ah thanks but I'm mostly interested in reducing cost while still meeting my basic needs. These are quite expensive.

Really what I need to know right now is whether the 100mbps is enough ''power'' for my internet usage.

100MB is sufficient for the likes of Netflix or YouTube. Remember that is the max you will get depending in distance from cabinet or exchange. Contention may also be a factor.

There are deals with SIRO providers running at the moment. Digiweb are offering SIRO's 150mb with no phone for €29.95 for 1st 3 months and €45 thereafter (12 month contract). If available it is worth a look.

cunnijo wrote: »
    100MB is sufficient for the likes of Netflix or YouTube. Remember that is the max you will get depending in distance from cabinet or exchange. Contention may also be a factor.

There are deals with SIRO providers running at the moment. Digiweb are offering SIRO's 150mb with no phone for €29.95 for 1st 3 months and €45 thereafter (12 month contract). If available it is worth a look.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brooklands

Hey. I'm in monastery gate in Clondalkin d22.
    I'm just wondering if anyone is using Vodafone simply broadband fibre 100mb/s ??
    Or anyone using it around Clondalkin?
    Is it good or should I look elsewhere- sky fibre broadband increases after the first year after your contract expires, I guess you could cancel at 12 months...digit web/ pure telecom?
    My mobile is Vodafone and they keep ringing me asking about broadband.is there any better deal coming down the line in a few weeks from Vodafone/others?!
    .I've recently moved here and I'll need broadband. I don't want a package deal just broadband etc.any advice would be great..thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone know what sort of threshold Vodafone have on their "unlimited" Simply broadband package? Asked them on the Talk To forum, but they wouldn't give me a straight answer.

My Eir contract is up, and i'm looking at alternatives. Sky or Virgin are the other two options i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone know what sort of threshold Vodafone have on their "unlimited" Simply broadband package? Asked them on the Talk To forum, but they wouldn't give me a straight answer.

My Eir contract is up, and i'm looking at alternatives. Sky or Virgin are the other two options i think.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/fixed.html

This is what it is in the Simply Broadband section:
    The monthly allowance for this product is 15GB per month.

For their Gigabit service, that refers to all fibre products it's this
    18. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination.

/M

Also, there are lots of options. Here is a list: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

If you're on an older ADSL exchange, there should even be more options.

/M

15gb? Hah, that's absolutely pathetic. That's Vodafone ruled out anyway.

I'll take a look at the other options on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭brooklands

Hi asked the Vodafone seller over the phone was there a fair usage limit and when he said no, I asked him any maximum usasage limit, he just said no, unlimited....sneaky !..how could 15 gb be enough for all the people in a home a month?....and in my location, it seems I can't get the gigabit service from them either

brooklands wrote: »
    Hi asked the Vodafone seller over the phone was there a fair usage limit and when he said no, I asked him any maximum usasage limit, he just said no, unlimited....sneaky !..how could 15 gb be enough for all the people in a home a month?....and in my location, it seems I can't get the gigabit service from them either

Nobody knows what they're at. Worst case scenario, you always have to assume, what it says on the website. If not, you could wake up to a bad surprise and be stuck in an 18 months contact.

The sales people in Vodafone are not precisely known for having a clue on what they're selling.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vodafone's main VDSL fibre product which most people would be referring to has a supposed 1TB month FUP. I'm not a customer so can't comment on whether it is enforced nor not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

15gb? Hah, that's absolutely pathetic. That's Vodafone ruled out anyway.

I'll take a look at the other options on that list.

15GB limit a month! for fibre home internet ?
    are they taking the piss ?
    surely they mean mobile data ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

this question was asked on the Vodafone talk to forum here, 15GB is not correct, the rep advised that was for some legacy package and that the current product they do have a FUP, but a number is not disclosed

if you go over the magical unknown number they would contact you

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057918014

BArra wrote: »
    this question was asked on the Vodafone talk to forum here, 15GB is not correct, the rep advised that was for some legacy package and that the current product they do have a FUP, but a number is not disclosed

if you go over the magical unknown number they would contact you

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057918014

The problem is not, that it's correct or incorrect. The problem is that they can't give you a straight answer. How can you do business with a company that doesn't know, what they're selling you.

Either way, best case scenario, the limit is 1TB/month, which is the limit on their FTTH packages. That's still lower than a lot other options.

The other problem is, that this is what they publish on their own website. Worst case scenario, that's what they're going to charge you at. Are you willing to take that risk ?

/M

Yeah, i asked that question, and it's extremely frustrating to not be able to get a straight answer. I don't do anymore than 500gb a month, but they should be able to tell people what the actual limit is. I guess if they publish a limit, then they can't call it "unlimited".

Yeah, i asked that question, and it's extremely frustrating to not be able to get a straight answer. I don't do anymore than 500gb a month, but they should be able to tell people what the actual limit is. I guess if they publish a limit, then they can't call it "unlimited".

Even with a fair use policy, it's not unlimited. Even if they don't publish the limit, it's not unlimited. It's false advertising.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

Hello,
    I'm currently based in Springfield (Tallaght).
    After 10 years of loyalty to UPC/Virgin Media, I'd like to change broadband provider after yet another price increase, as you all know.
    I reckon I've only been getting 30Mb/s speed so far with VM.

I could live with 20Mb/s mininum, if the price is competitive. My usage is about 150GB/month.

Last year a Vodafone representative convinced me to switch to them, but just before the installation I was called by their engineer who advised me I would only get 3Mb/s speed, and he was honest enough to suggest I cancelled there and then, which I did.

My address is covered by fibre, according to the map on the fibrerollout website.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

This has been my experience with Broadband providers.

Virgin - Broadband was fine. There was an issue there a while back where it seemed they were deliberately slowing down Netflix as it was taking up too much of their bandwidth or something. That and a price increase led to be quit. I rang them as indicated on the letter I received about the price increase and I went through a cancellation process and guy on phone confirmed the cancellation. A month later I got a bill from them - got on and they said they had no record of my call. I told them to cancel the bloody thing. They did and then told me that the window to cancel after the price increase had now ended and I would have to pay a breakage penalty of about 200 euro. Anyway, it took about a month of hassle to get them to back down which they duly did. So I swore never again with them.

Eir - Was there a year. Price went up too high after the first year so I cancelled. They kept sending me emails saying I had a bill but when I clicked on the link it brought me to the website and asked me to log in but then said I had no account with them (Because it was now cancelled). So how was i supposed to see the bloody bills? Anyway, they were zero balance bills in the end so it wasn't an issue. Customer service looks awful there though I think.

Sky - They've actually been pretty good. The €50 setup fee was annoying. When I was ordering it, the woman on the phone referred to it as an installation fee so I said that seemed odd as all they were doing was sending me a box in the post that I would plug in so there wasn't any installation to talk of. So, then she just called it an activation fee. Anyway, Broadband has been fine and the customer service is quite good actually. The initial 30 a month deal has now ended and it has gone up to 55 (Broadband and landline only). I talked to cancellation dept and they offered me 47 but that still seems high. That said, they've been the most competent so far so I'm reluctant to leave.

Vodafone look like the next port of call. 25 a month for 6 months then 50 a month for another year. Anyone use them? I've not used Pure Telecom or Digiweb yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@ Kiith I believe Virgin is not available in the town yet.

I cant work out who is the best choice, ive considered vodafone,sky,digiweb,pure telecom,airwire all basically reselling eir`s up to 100mb package.

I was leaning towards pure telecom as i read about their good customer care only to research further and see a lot of bad rep for their customer care, seems if you dig deep enough they all have poor customer care.

Since i got eir to remove my FUP and im now unlimited and out of contract i can stay in a rolling contract until something else pops up.

It looks like anything faster than 100MB is a bit off here still though,, personally i dont mind, i just want a reliable service and decent support of something goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheNetworkGuy

Dcully wrote: »
    @ Kiith I believe Virgin is not available in the town yet.

I cant work out who is the best choice, ive considered vodafone,sky,digiweb,pure telecom,airwire all basically reselling eir`s up to 100mb package.

I was leaning towards pure telecom as i read about their good customer care only to research further and see a lot of bad rep for their customer care, seems if you dig deep enough they all have poor customer care.

Since i got eir to remove my FUP and im now unlimited and out of contract i can stay in a rolling contract until something else pops up.

It looks like anything faster than 100MB is a bit off here still though,, personally i dont mind, i just want a reliable service and decent support of something goes wrong.

Realistically all of them have poor customer service so instead, pick the one that will be the most reliable so you won't have to deal with customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Any suggestions for Monasterevin? I will be in Brocan Wood, and before buying checked the map and did a rough guess on how far the cabinet was which seemed all good.

I can’t get a speed online for my address but did for two of the neighbors. One was 7mb and the other 2. Absolute nightmare.

Is digiweb metro or anything like that available in the area?

Advertisement