Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

a better provider in the South Arklow area.

You could try http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dorankarl

anybody know which internet dongle works best in rosslare co.wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My requirements;
    - Sutton (Dublin 13)
    - No download cap
    - As fast as reasonable possible (used for regular two-way video calling)

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Mayo, Bangor Erris.

Online gaming is a must so a cap would be a no.
    Any ideas?

I do realize Mayo is not bursting full of broadband options but any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ballsdeep

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Guys -

I'm looking for options:

want to get broadband into the house (there is no phone line at present) - its in Enfield Co. Meath.

At the moment I can only find two options:
    - Eircom
    - BT

Ideally a decent connection with upload and download speeds - it wont be used very often just to have it at home.... might be looking at watching movies streamed that kind of thing - not into the download thing so that doesn't bother us.

both myself and the girlfriend have O2 Dongles but to be honest ... they're slow and we want proper broadband.

Hi PCPhoto,

I live in Enfield as well and want to get fixed line broadband into the house, did you decide on a provider in the end?

If so, have you had any problems or any recommendations to report?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Shane.C wrote: »
    Mayo, Bangor Erris.

Online gaming is a must so a cap would be a no.
    Any ideas?

I do realize Mayo is not bursting full of broadband options but any help would be appreciated.

Try Westnet, low pings, no cap, but only choices of 1 or 2mb download speed.
    Fixed at 35euro per month for 1mb, 45mb for 2.

Its wireless connection, they charge 100euro to setup the ariel thingy at the side of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Thanks man, would it just get by with online gaming? I had a 1mb connection from Atlantek Computers situatedin belmullet and online gaming was fine after 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Shane.C wrote: »
    Thanks man, would it just get by with online gaming? I had a 1mb connection from Atlantek Computers situatedin belmullet and online gaming was fine after 1am.

Yeah its fine for online gaming, I play on PC with dedicated servers so its probably better for me, I usually get around 25ping, so thats great. But sometimes, not too often it is terrible and I do be getting pings of 1000+.

In general, its fine for online gaming. If your a professional gamer it wouldn't be up to par, but it gets a steady 3 bars on COD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OrmeSat

jor el wrote: »
    If you ring them up, they might tell you what's the maximum you can order. This can often be a bit of guess work though.

Hi all, don't know if this works in Ireland but here in Wales i use a site called Sam Knows. Apparently you can use it anywhere in Europe by just entering either your postcode or phone number. Click on the broadband checker button, enter phone No, it then tells you what services are available for your number. If it says you have adsl available click the adsl button, it then tells you what speed you should be getting. Here's the link or you can get link on my Facebook page: Fast Rural Broadband:
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_availability

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Hi guys

would like to hear about bb in Ballincollig. AFAIK there's no UPC in the are so just old school phone line + BB. 8 Mb would be ok i suppose but would need decent download cap as i enjoy Netflix, ping is not important.
    Thank you for thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

rai555 wrote: »
    Hi guys

would like to hear about bb in Ballincollig. AFAIK there's no UPC in the are so just old school phone line + BB. 8 Mb would be ok i suppose but would need decent download cap as i enjoy Netflix, ping is not important.
    Thank you for thoughts

Digiweb has 350GB cap for €46 a month on its 8mb NGB, including your line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Drogmal wrote: »
    Digiweb has 350GB cap for €46 a month on its 8mb NGB, including your line rental.

sound good value, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

Hi Folks,
    Can anybody advise me on what service provider would be best.

We are a sports club and are having security cameras which can be accessed remotely once the premises has broadband.

As we don't have broadband I will need to get it, there is no other real requirement for broadband so the cheapest would be best.

Regards,

WH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I'm in the CIE Estate and have never had broadband. The houses are very old with thick walls. I usually only get edge coverage with my iPhone. We don't have a phone line connected and don't have UPC (we have Sky). The UPC deal of €40.50 per month seems to be the best but what kind of speed could I expect? A slow connection is no good to me. Anyone live in the area with the UPC deal?

I'm in the CIE Estate and have never had broadband. The houses are very old with thick walls. I usually only get edge coverage with my iPhone. We don't have a phone line connected and don't have UPC (we have Sky). The UPC deal of €40.50 per month seems to be the best but what kind of speed could I expect? A slow connection is no good to me. Anyone live in the area with the UPC deal?

With UPC you can get just broadband, so you don't have to take the TV package. The 20Mbs bundle is only 25 + 7 yoyos.
    Most people get the speeds the pay for with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

bealtine wrote: »
    With UPC you can get just broadband, so you don't have to take the TV package. The 20Mbs bundle is only 25 + 7 yoyos.
    Most people get the speeds the pay for with UPC.

We don't need the TV package, we have Sky! The 40.50 price is for homephone and broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Had UPC tv & broadband - moved house out to skerries - switched tv but upc don't have broadband out that far.

Tried eircom site but even customising seems they wont let you not add a phone package.

Looked at magnet - €40pm looks expensive.

Any other options - around €30pm mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Had UPC tv & broadband - moved house out to skerries - switched tv but upc don't have broadband out that far.

Tried eircom site but even customising seems they wont let you not add a phone package.

Looked at magnet - €40pm looks expensive.

Any other options - around €30pm mark?

UTV broadband? for the price you're looking at you can get 12meg and a 50gb limit,I know its not great but its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

UTV broadband? for the price you're looking at you can get 12meg and a 50gb limit,I know its not great but its a start.
    Will have a look cheers.

Just to note i only use it for browsing - not gaming or downloads hence i was looking for something basic

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I've had bad experiences with sales pitches in the past and I've been charged for services that were virtually unusable. I don't want to get trapped in another contract where 'Unlimited' use is limited and 5-12kb/s is deemed to be an acceptable service.

So, what can I actually expect from company X when they say my phone number means I can get their 24mbit service?

I'm moving home from the UK in a little over a month and I've become quite attached to my connection. I'll be moving back to the Naul, I gather the cabinet is connected to the Balbriggan exchange. I'm under 2km from the cabinet.

Has anyone a decent connection in the area? Who do you use?

I'm a bit stuck as I need a fast connection to use VPN for a college network in the UK and I need to organise it before I get home at the end of next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 JoaoMLVF

Hi!

Im moving from Athlone to Tullamore, so would like someone to help me about what broadband to choose it.

Currently Im UPC client, and was more than delighted with the service, however seems they cant provide broadband in Tullamore, what is a disgrace since we live in 2012.

Like that I guess I need to search for another provider.

Im also Xbox live user, so what would be the best option in that zone ? (or less bad)

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

hey guys, moving into an apartment in Rathgar in a couple of days.

Anybody know best providers in the area, never set up an internet account for myself was always on the parents Eircom which was awful.

Need a decent download limit as I will be streaming alot of tv.

Any help really appreciated guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

hey guys, moving into an apartment in Rathgar in a couple of days.

Anybody know best providers in the area, never set up an internet account for myself was always on the parents Eircom which was awful.

Need a decent download limit as I will be streaming alot of tv.

Any help really appreciated guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lads my advice DO NOT GET UTV BROADBAND!!!!!!

pain in the arse that lot:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Lads my advice DO NOT GET UTV BROADBAND!!!!!!

pain in the arse that lot:mad:

True and they have the worst download cap for a Dsl provider!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

kowloon wrote: »
    I've had bad experiences with sales pitches in the past and I've been charged for services that were virtually unusable. I don't want to get trapped in another contract where 'Unlimited' use is limited and 5-12kb/s is deemed to be an acceptable service.

So, what can I actually expect from company X when they say my phone number means I can get their 24mbit service?

I'm moving home from the UK in a little over a month and I've become quite attached to my connection. I'll be moving back to the Naul, I gather the cabinet is connected to the Balbriggan exchange. I'm under 2km from the cabinet.

Has anyone a decent connection in the area? Who do you use?

I'm a bit stuck as I need a fast connection to use VPN for a college network in the UK and I need to organise it before I get home at the end of next month.

Naul wow your gonna run into trouble getting BB from that exchange i have relitives living there in Naul village and they can not avail of anything other than dial up no 3G coverage from any provider there also.

I have been told that Eircom have enabled the Naul exchange a couple of months back but im not sure if that is true or not.

Do let us know how you get on in getting a BB service in Naul

Seems Eircom dont even have county Dublin fully enabled for BB shows how useless our national bb provider is

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Does anyone have a list of routers Vodaphone support ?, parents modem died and they want a wireless router, but don't want to renew their contact. Wanna see how the routers they support compare price and performance wise to ones they don't.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

I have a friend moving to Eyeries village in West Cork and is looking for broadband advice. What options would he have?

I was looking at Digiwebs Tooway satellite broadband, is it any good?
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/

Cheers

Jilm wrote: »
    I
    I was looking at Digiwebs Tooway satellite broadband, is it any good?
    http://www.digiweb.ie/home/tooway/

The short answer is no...
    http://support.digiweb.ie/questions/3808/Tooway+Satellite+Ku+Traffic+Usage+%26+Fair+Access+Policy+Explained

Have a look at the hourly usage limits for instance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dub_25

Using a meteor dongle at the moment, but looking to order broadband for the house as there's two of us living here so it would probably work out cheaper. Was very happy with UPC's basic package previously, but they don't cover where i live now in chapelizod. also we've no phone which rules out a number of providers. I was looking at imagine wimax as they are so cheap but reading a lot of bad reviews online, but neither of us would download excessively and I got the impression a lot of the complaints may have been from people who download a lot and play games online. My boyfriend does download movies/music and stream movies to some extent, but not excessively and I would mostly be using internet just for email and browsing.
    Any opinions on what might be the best option?

Advertisement