Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lorrscann

My experience would lead me to advise everyone to stay well away from UPC - they promise you everything and once they get you refuse to deal with you. Easily 10 if not 20 phone calls in the past 2 weeks and I am being passed from Dublin to Cork to Waterford and still no answer. The business park in Fairview told us that they are the ones who have to the work and they find the Sales people unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

UPC is brilliant in Sligo. I can max out the 100 Mbps anytime of the day, any day of the month. I can stop downloading and play lag-free online gaming at any time of the day.
    Broadband is epic. I would say it is very close to data-centre grade. I also have 10 Mbps upload for some reason instead of the 7 Mbps as advertised.

When I first joined UPC, I plugged the telephone into the wrong port on the router (number 2 instead of number 1).... the support guy was on the phone for 20 mins trying to find the problem and at the end of it all "accidentally disconnected me" 5 minutes after the telephone call ended. It took them a week and a half to get my broadband, tv and phone reconnected... 11 days I ended up paying for regardless.

UPC TV box is complete crap. TV menu takes 5 seconds to load. Impatiently pressing the menu button makes the menu open and close... taking anything up to 20 seconds to get the list. Programme recoding is problematic. Remote doesn't work for some hours randomly (with eco setting on TV turned off). Channel 4 and many other channels and skippy, some others are fine 24/7.

Phone service is fine. Quality is good and don't have any problems with it.

Bottom line: I'm paying 85 euro/month for TV, Broadband and phone. I'd pay 200 euro/month for just the broadband.

Yes but they won't contact me to sort out my issues so I see no reason therefore to pay them for their LIES and FALSE promises of a great deal

What issues are you having?

told I would get 4 digi boxes, phone and broadband for 45 a month - 65 for the first month. delivered 1 digi box - they refuse to respond to my query.. online bill shows €127 and i have not yet connected the phone or broadband - which they originally told me I could not do until I gave them my Eircom details. Keep promising me a call back and apologise for their colleagues not returning the calls but they are all the same - still nothing until today when I was told they could cut me off but I would still have to pay - for what>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I lived in hell on earth for several years with my Eircom dial-up connection. It could take me up to an hour even to get into my e-mail, because the damn thing kept cutting out. Calling Eircom and attempting to upgrade to ISDN and so on was really pissing against the wind. Then, a couple of years ago, a leaflet from the EU and the County Council arrived with a freephone number. I called it and talked to a really professional person in Mumbai. Following his advice, I bought a USB modem and he talked me through the installation. Now I have broadband (3), pretty good, when I'm in Ireland. It costs me around €20 a month and I don't know myself. I doubt whether anyone is even capable of grasping how good it felt to call Eircom and tell them to get their ******* landline out of my house!

well after my dealings with UPC without even trying their broadband even though I apparently will have to pay, I think Eircom are great never had any problem with them

lorrscann, that sounds like a very strange deal. One that I would be suspicious of. I think you might have been scammed by the sales rep who said 4 digi boxes for 45/month.... UPC charge for multiroom.

Ellis Dee, i've been there and done that to Eircom. I took great pride in snipping the phone wire in the attic too when they requested a "cancellation fee". What a joke when I was paying €150+ month for dialup.

yep I think I was but I have requested the phone transcripts - probably wasting my time but I have accomodated them with their box on the side of my house - no one else would as everyone in my estate stays away from them. They did need me but I think I will go for Free Air toAir and just cut their silly cabling down.

Try FreeSat. I'll be getting it when I move into my new house. From what i've heard it's got most of the same channels as Sky but without the monthly subscription. http://www.freesat.co.uk/

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Eircom. Their broadband in Tubbercurry, Co. Sligo is shockingly useless. It should not be called broadband, and it should not be being sold to everyone for at least around 50 euro a month.

• Advertisement

Would prefer Free Air to Air = you can get the irish channels with it also. A no of friends I know have it and they think it is great - once off payment and that is that. Will have to then look at alternatives for my broadband as it is expensive with eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

lorrscan - that sounds like nonsense. There's never been a UPC offer of anything like 4 boxes for €45/mo. Did you bother reading their website?

Just got UPC installed last week. They upgraded the local wiring about 6 months ago, but for some reason took until now to roll out digital services. I've gone from:

* Eircom €25/mo line rental
    * Eircom call charges (although I use VoIP which is practically free)
    * Eircom €50/mo broadband (supposed to be 8Mb but could only get 2Mb and Eircom said they couldn't do anything about it)
    * Sky €31/mo TV

to:

* UPC €75/mo for:
    * 50Mb broadband(!),
    * phone with free calls evening and weekends
    * all the same TV channels and features as Sky+

The broadband is practically flawless -- getting all the upload speed and most of the nominal download speed all the time. VoIP still works (in addition to the UPC phone service). VPN works. I was expecting the TV to be really clunky, based on reports I got from other people, but apart from a few warts it's better than Sky in many features. No remote record over the internet, but they say it's coming. Installation was quick and efficient. I've also had a few phone calls with their customer support which were a little trying, but again -- based on anecdotes heard -- I was expecting nightmares which did not materialise.

Very, very, happy customer so far, and delighted to be rid of Eircom at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Guys -

I'm looking for options:

want to get broadband into the house (there is no phone line at present) - its in Enfield Co. Meath.

At the moment I can only find two options:
    - Eircom
    - BT

Ideally a decent connection with upload and download speeds - it wont be used very often just to have it at home.... might be looking at watching movies streamed that kind of thing - not into the download thing so that doesn't bother us.

both myself and the girlfriend have O2 Dongles but to be honest ... they're slow and we want proper broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Guys -

I'm looking for options:

want to get broadband into the house (there is no phone line at present) - its in Enfield Co. Meath.

At the moment I can only find two options:
    - Eircom
    - BT

Ideally a decent connection with upload and download speeds - it wont be used very often just to have it at home.... might be looking at watching movies streamed that kind of thing - not into the download thing so that doesn't bother us.

both myself and the girlfriend have O2 Dongles but to be honest ... they're slow and we want proper broadband.

It's doubtful, but is UPC available in your area? If so, try go with them for BB.

If you have any neighbours with BB through the landline phone (DSL) ask them what speed they're receiving. This can give you a rough estimate on what you would expect to get through the phoneline. All DSL providers use Eircoms phone lines (Eircom, Vodafone, Gaelic, Digiweb etc) so expect the speeds to be the same between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

thanks for the input .

Dont think UPC is available in the area - even if they are we have free to air and they generally overprice their broadband on its own package so they can sell the multi package of broadband, phone and tv.

we only need broadband - I have had UPC in a previous home and never got near the speeds promised and had awful trouble with their Customer service if/when the network was down - very bad lack of communication from them.

Glad to hear UPC is making a good name for itself.

Eircom might be rolling out a new fibre service to compete with this, but do you really want to be with an ISP who "can't do anything" when problems like speed arise.
    The current eircom broadband was supposed to be "next generation". (of which much of the country still can't get yet) Are people really silly enough to jump on this train again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Dont think UPC is available in the area - even if they are we have free to air and they generally overprice their broadband on its own package so they can sell the multi package of broadband, phone and tv.

Shame, if they're not available there.
    I can't really say it's overpriced though.... of course, they'd lower the price in a bundle, but even UPC's lowest broadband offering (20mb) is only 25€ The highest (100mb) is only 55€, which is almost the same price as Eircom's highest, which is only 24mb.

Are you in a town or the countryside? If it's the latter, you might have a problem getting a decent speed through the landline unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Folks,

I was looking at the digiweb Metro value 5mb broadband for the Athlone area, has anyone ever used it around Monksland area of Athlone and how relaible is it? On o2 broadband stick and need to get off of it.

PS200306
    UPC have sorted out my problem so all is well. Sorry to dissapoint you but they have confirmed that my monthly bill for Digital TV(2 recorders and 2 ordinary boxes, Broadband and phone is €48 - had free TV as I accomodated them with their services on my house and around my back garden wall!

They have honoured their original agreement with me.

I obviously am aware of the real cost but just wanted to ensure that the original free service followed through on my upgrade which it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

goalie2 wrote: »
    Folks,

I was looking at the digiweb Metro value 5mb broadband for the Athlone area, has anyone ever used it around Monksland area of Athlone and how relaible is it? On o2 broadband stick and need to get off of it.

Digiweb Metro is extremely reliable,it'll leave your dongle in the ha'penny place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey guys, I live in the Cabinteely Area of d18, seem to be in a bit of a dead spot. Atm we're on imagine DSL, and its ****ing slow.

UPC or any other high speed wired providers seem unavailable.

Are there any wireless providers which would give half decent gaming pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Hi guys, I was thinking of getting UPC 100mb broadband and phone for 50 euro. This offer seems too good to be true as I'm paying over 60 a month with Eircom and getting about 4mb broadband at the best of times and it is always cutting out. Is there any catches to UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Maestro84 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was thinking of getting UPC 100mb broadband and phone for 50 euro. This offer seems too good to be true as I'm paying over 60 a month with Eircom and getting about 4mb broadband at the best of times and it is always cutting out. Is there any catches to UPC?

No catches, go for UPC, I have broadband and phone with them and couldn't be happier. great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 magicgumdrop

Greetings.

I don't suppose anyone has UPC's bog-standard 20Mb product? How is it? Given I've no interest in TV, I see no reason to pay an extra tender for the sake of 5Mb. Unless there's something nefarious and hidden I'm not seeing!

It does seem every other product comes with a WiFi router as standard, but there's no mention as to exactly what their bare-bones modem is. So in particular I'd like to know what kind of kit they send out, and whether anyone's had problems/ successes setting it up with their own wifi APs. I'm just intending to connect it via Ethernet to an old apple airport express I have lying around.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Does "Product Allowance - Unlimited" mean I have no monthly cap?

I am with Eircom and I checked my account on the site and it says that, I always thought we had a 30GB monthly cap and it says that that "Product Allownace - Unlimited" when I checked my monthly usage stats

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Siim

Looking for a unlimited (or atleast 450GB limit) broadband in Mountjoy Square, Dublin 1. It seems that UPC is unavailable. What is the next thing to get? Don't want to pay over €45/month. Magnet offered Simply Broadband for €45/month, but is there any other solutions for this location? DL speed should be atleast 10Mb/s.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Anyone know of good satellite broadband in rural Mayo?
    Currently with Westnet, but usually have half a Mb download speed but no upload speed.
    Thought about switching to Digiweb but they're download limit is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Anyone know of good satellite broadband in rural Mayo?
    Currently with Westnet, but usually have half a Mb download speed but no upload speed.
    Thought about switching to Digiweb but they're download limit is too low.

If you think that Digiweb's limits are too low you haven't seen how miserable most satellite limits are yet, often 4Gb per month and then there's the daily limits too.

Get onto Westnet and get them to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alt_M

****Advice needed!!***

Hey Guys,

So I'm moving to the Hampton Lodge apartments in Drumcondra (off griffith ave.)

There's no UPC (landlord said something about Smart having wired to building for themselves only...)

Is that my only option? Will I have to go with Smart? and if so... what is their service like around that area?

P.S. If anyone knows what Magnet is like around there also that would be awesome!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Looking for something better than standard ADSL.

It's to serve 30-35 people general email and light browsing.
    Ideally 50Mb down and at least 10Mb up.

What options are there in Dublin 2 (near Nassau St)?

Advertisement