Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Does anyone know if the ISP Smart Telecom provides broadband to Mayo? Castlebar to be more exact.
    Looking at a small map they have on their homepage it shows that they do but I can't be sure. I emailed them two weeks ago but they never replied, just re-sent the same email again but asking on here might get better results.

Another question.
    We had internet with Eircom about 7 or 8 years ago, when Dial Up was the main thing people used, but we cancelled it due to it not working properly for us.
    We still have the phoneline running into our house, but it is not connected to anything, as we are not with any broadband provider or phone company at the moment.

Would the likes of Smart Telecom be able to use this wire still or is there a new wire for broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

lads looking to get broadband in clonalvy co. meath, eircom reckon they dont have better than 1.5mb is there any other options?? ripplecom? rang ripplecom but couldnt get through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Living just outside of Newcastle, currently with Ripplecom and although it's fine most of the time, the random disconnects that last for several minutes are infuriating. We have had ADSL broadband before but could only get 1Mb speeds which is just dreadful considering the amount of stuff I download, especially through steam.

So, my question is, what alternatives do I have? I've rang UPC but they have no current plans to expand to where I live (Athgoe), Digiweb have download limits that are too small and IIRC we rang them and couldn't get their service out here anyway. Satellite broadband is also out of the question as we do a lot of gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

hello,

i am moving house witihin the next month and need advice as to what will be my best option for broadband(if any) i am moving to meelick county limerick and want to know what my best options are.

for anyone that knows the area my new location is directly acroos from meelick stores, there is a housing estate next to it called elton court.

i am directly across from there.

there is no phone line in the house and getting one is not an option. so my best bet would be to get something like bbnet(which is what i currently have but is not available in my new location) or i had ripplecom before in co clare(also not an option for my new location)

any help advice???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

If you in an housing estate with ducting or an apartment block. You can contact providers and ask them to install a wireless link and connect everyone to that link. Most providers wont charge you for the installation , if you can organise other poeple to sign up. We got quotes from Imagine Skyconway Digiweb. Ring them and see if they can help you out , it all depends if you have line of sight to their masts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭AustinByrnes

i am directly across from elton court housing estate its a house out on its own. nothing to left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Billtrip

Drugness wrote: »
    Hello all

I'm living in Islandbridge Dublin 8 and after trying O2, 3 and UPC, the only people I could get to provide a decent Broadband service in the apartment is a dodgepot crowd from Tyrone called Sky Conway. I've had multi problems with their BB, with them, their customer service is shocking (not to mention ignorant) and their IP is in NI, thus when i try to go on ebay, it tells me that i'm trying to log in from a sanctioned country! I can't even watch RTE player properly because of this. Plus Sky Conway have a shocking tv channel service. There's barely one decent channel in there.
    Anyway, i digress.
    Sky Conway appear to have some sort of monopoly on the apartments i live in. This is part of the problem and i'd like to sign up to another provider if possible.

I heard an advert on Newstalk recently for some new Irish broadband provider who say they work absolutely anywhere and everywhere in Ireland. Can't recall their name though. It wasn't Niall Quinns BB by the way!

So, I am thinking of asking UPC would they please please please try to install their BB again (they checked the area before and confirmed they couldn't). It goes to show how taken for granted a good provider is... in my case anyway.

In conclusion, if anyone can recommend a new BB provider I would love to
    hear about it

Apologies for my Sky Conway rant, but i'm sure their name has popped up before for all the wrong reasons :(

I believe the new Broadband you are talking about is Onwave. http://www.onwave.ie/packages/broadband

Dont fancy their download limits myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

"Super High Speed"
    "Unlimited usage"
    Combined with an amateur website. :eek: How do they have clients at all?!
    2012-02-01_2130.png

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

Hi all

I will be relocating to douglas, cork next month and currently looking for the best ISP I can get. I have checked my new address on UPC area checker and unfortunately it's not available, it is however available in other parts of the estate.

Would I be correct in assuming smart and magnet are the next best inline if available, Which would best for networking, gaming and media download

Thanks
    Col

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me. I need to get broadband but without a contract as i will be moving in a few months into a house that already has broadband. Im after broadband thats fast enough to get me online on a ps3, smoothly without disconnections if thats at all possible.

I live just outside clonmel, tipperary. I dont know much about mobile broadband but as far as i know, its pretty bad

Anyway any advice would be fantastic, so thanks for any replies in advance

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Starfox wrote: »
    Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me. I need to get broadband but without a contract as i will be moving in a few months into a house that already has broadband. Im after broadband thats fast enough to get me online on a ps3, smoothly without disconnections if thats at all possible.

I live just outside clonmel, tipperary. I dont know much about mobile broadband but as far as i know, its pretty bad

Magnet Entertainment currently provide a no contract service in Clonmel for €50 per month - if you would like to PM me with a contact number I would be happy to get someone to contact you to discuss the options available to you..........

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Starfox wrote: »

Magnet Entertainment currently provide a no contract service in Clonmel for €50 per month - if you would like to PM me with a contact number I would be happy to get someone to contact you to discuss the options available to you..........

Thanks, but I only need broadband, no tv, phone or anything and im hoping to get broadband solely, for around the 20 euro Mark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

Is UPC ever going to be available in Drogheda?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

If Drogheda is very densely populated it might be worth setting the necessary communications infrastructure in place. I imagine it is a very costly business to operate at the level UPC BB does.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Raleigh Row, Galway

Anyone know what the best option is for two houses near to each other in this area. Any way to get a aeriel that both could work off or some other options.

Currently both houses have 3 mobile broadband and it's awful slow. Crap is probably a better word

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭al-pal

Hi there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for wireless BB providers in Limerick, Rhebogue to be specific.

Looking to change from O2 Mobile BB as the speeds/allowances just arent good enough.

was contemplating eircom but with the cost of the Line Rental on top of the BB package it just seems a bit too expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JohnnyNoxville

Hi All

I am moving into a new apartment in Howth Co. Dublin. I had hoped to get a UPC Bundle TV/Phone/Broadband however they can only offer me TV as they don't have fibre optic in that area yet

So, what are the best options for digital TV and broadband if I can't go with the UPC bundle?

I can go with UPC TV and another provider for example?

Any suggestions...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Moved into new house on deansgrange rd Dublin & each provider we've checked with does not supply broadband to the house - tried UPC eircom Vodafone. Anyone able to clarify why it's so difficult to supply broadband here? As everyone I got through to was unable to explain why they could not offer the service. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DirtyDev

Ringaskiddy - Cork
    Available speeds : Eircom : 8mb/24mb NGB BroadBand
    Average line speeds in the area: 17mb max downstream 0.6mb upstream
    Average ping : 34ms for Irish servers, 56ms for English servers 83ms for French servers 134ms for US servers
    15 March 2012
    12:06

You will usually get a transfer rate of 1.7MB per second when downloading torrents/http downloads. For each 1 megabit of connection speed you can expect to get 120 kilobytes per second of real-world download speed meaning 17MB = 2040. Then take into consideration the location of the exchange, so your max speed (via speedtest.net) will end up as 14 MB per second. So when you download anything off the internet your speed will be on average 1.68 MB per second.

Eircom have reasonable prices. UPC will be rolling out lines within the next few months but for the moment it's only Eircom down here with those kind of speeds.

As always call Eircom before ordering online to see if it is available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

DirtyDev wrote: »
    Ringaskiddy - Cork
    Available speeds : Eircom : 8mb/24mb NGB BroadBand
    Average line speeds in the area: 17mb max downstream 0.6mb upstream
    Average ping : 34ms for Irish servers, 56ms for English servers 83ms for French servers 134ms for US servers
    15 March 2012
    12:06

You will usually get a transfer rate of 1.7MB per second when downloading torrents/http downloads. For each 1 megabit of connection speed you can expect to get 120 kilobytes per second of real-world download speed meaning 17MB = 2040. Then take into consideration the location of the exchange, so your max speed (via speedtest.net) will end up as 14 MB per second. So when you download anything off the internet your speed will be on average 1.68 MB per second.

Eircom have reasonable prices. UPC will be rolling out lines within the next few months but for the moment it's only Eircom down here with those kind of speeds.

As always call Eircom before ordering online to see if it is available to you.

Thats a myth. Digiweb and Vodafone do too as they use the same lines as Eircom. I have Digiweb at home and my mam has Vodafone in Cork and they're packages are cheaper than eircom with no sneaky charges for downloading over your allowance and no restrictions on where you can download from.

• Advertisement

I never tried Digiweb. I will never use Vodafone again, considering they asked me to fork €40 for a new router even when it was still in warranty. After contacting them again I was then asked to pay €80 for a new router as then it had been out of warranty for 1 month. I'm not going to stick to an ISP that doesn't respond to emails, offers no quality of service with constantly bad speeds (used to get a minimum of 7.1MB per second, after the first 9 months this was at a constant 4.2MB per second 24/7). But take into consideration that:

Douglas had NGB before I did. Why? Because their on a different grid than I am. Ringaskiddy is in the Lower Harbor Area of Cork (near the naval base to be exact) and is around 25 minutes away from the city (give or take maybe 9 miles, I'm not sure I don't drive much). So, different parts of Cork had NGB broadband before Ringaskiddy did. They only put in the lines around November last year. And why would Digiweb & Vodafone have access to the NGB lines that Eircom put down if UPC doesn't?
    Also, Eircom block one website in particular and it's very easy to get around that, but I'm not going to talk about that for fear of being banned :P And I don't think anyone here will be going over 250GB in a month with a minimum speed of 24mb

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

DirtyDev wrote: »
    I never tried Digiweb. I will never use Vodafone again, considering they asked me to fork €40 for a new router even when it was still in warranty. After contacting them again I was then asked to pay €80 for a new router as then it had been out of warranty for 1 month. I'm not going to stick to an ISP that doesn't respond to emails, offers no quality of service with constantly bad speeds (used to get a minimum of 7.1MB per second, after the first 9 months this was at a constant 4.2MB per second 24/7). But take into consideration that:

Douglas had NGB before I did. Why? Because their on a different grid than I am. Ringaskiddy is in the Lower Harbor Area of Cork (near the naval base to be exact) and is around 25 minutes away from the city (give or take maybe 9 miles, I'm not sure I don't drive much). So, different parts of Cork had NGB broadband before Ringaskiddy did. They only put in the lines around November last year. And why would Digiweb & Vodafone have access to the NGB lines that Eircom put down if UPC doesn't?
    Also, Eircom block one website in particular and it's very easy to get around that, but I'm not going to talk about that for fear of being banned :P And I don't think anyone here will be going over 250GB in a month with a minimum speed of 24mb

Sounds rough with vodafone, I wouldn't touch them myself and the contention ratios are very high. As far as I know the Ringaskiddy exchange has been upgraded to NGB. Digiweb support this along with Eircom, I don't think Vodafone do. I am happy with my pacakge €46 a month for line rental 8mb (averaging around 6.5-7mb) and 350GB allowance. I am trying to get my mam to change from Vodafone too but she is having none of it as she gets a good mobile deal off them and thinks she will lose that if she moves :rolleyes:

I think know digiweb offer the 24mb package as well. I had some bad experiences with Eircom and will never be going back to them (doubt they would have me back either) :p

Drogmal wrote: »
    Sounds rough with vodafone, I wouldn't touch them myself and the contention ratios are very high. As far as I know the Ringaskiddy exchange has been upgraded to NGB. Digiweb support this along with Eircom, I don't think Vodafone do. I am happy with my pacakge €46 a month for line rental 8mb (averaging around 6.5-7mb) and 350GB allowance. I am trying to get my mam to change from Vodafone too but she is having none of it as she gets a good mobile deal off them and thinks she will lose that if she moves :rolleyes:

I think know digiweb offer the 24mb package as well. I had some bad experiences with Eircom and will never be going back to them (doubt they would have me back either) :p

For some strange reason with Vodafone, I was getting charged from 65-80 euros a month for an 8MB package. I never went over the download limit. I threw the house phone out the window a year ago :P but the price always fluctuated. If things go south with Eircom my only option would be Digiweb or UPC (If they'll ever get to Ringaskiddy :pac: )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 jackwogan

Hi All

I am moving into a new apartment in Howth Co. Dublin. I had hoped to get a UPC Bundle TV/Phone/Broadband however they can only offer me TV as they don't have fibre optic in that area yet

So, what are the best options for digital TV and broadband if I can't go with the UPC bundle?

I can go with UPC TV and another provider for example?

Any suggestions...thanks

Have you tried Skyconway they are in the Findlater not sure about your apartment block

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

Hi, just wondering if someone could give me some advice as to good broadband in Clonakilty. The house I am in doesnt currently have a line in so someone said I would have to go with Eircom for first year. Is it worth going with the likes of Rapid Broadband or would the Eircom be better for strong fast broadband?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

UPC 50mb - Carlow - Get full speeds 99% of the time

UPC is easily the best broadband i've ever had, not just the quickest

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Trompette

Hi there,

I just rang my provider UPC as I will move soon.
    They can't provide Internet and phone in my new address.:mad:
    I don't need TV.
    I can't find a provider. I hope there are.
    Could someone tell me which providers are in the area of Furbo Co Galway, 1km after Connemara Coast Hotel to Spiddal. See here

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Trompette wrote: »
    Hi there,

I just rang my provider UPC as I will move soon.
    They can't provide Internet and phone in my new address.:mad:
    I don't need TV.
    I can't find a provider. I hope there are.
    Could someone tell me which providers are in the area of Furbo Co Galway, 1km after Connemara Coast Hotel to Spiddal. See here

Many thanks

I suggest you ask the people of the Connemara Coast Hotel who their BB provider is. Might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

Location = Ballygarrett, North Co. Wexford

We have 2mb broadband with eircom at the moment with telephone and our monthly bill seems to always exceed 60 euro as it is a business. We are 2 miles from the exchange and our wire coming into the house is old. is there a better or cheaper provider? Would satellite broadband be better suited? thanks for any help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Hullo hullo, 3 contract is up next month, so I'm looking for a better provider in the South Arklow area. Preferably without a limit as small as 60GB/mo, preferably with a decent ping time. DL speed isn't going to be a major issue so long as it's over 5mb/s, which was bloody hard to get around here two years ago, so we ended up on three.

In summary:
    Decent ping (80ish, minimum)
    Alright DL (8mb/s would be grand)
    No small limit on DLs (100GB/mo would be absolute minimum I'd take in a new contract)
    Arklow.

Price would need to be somewhat reasonable, say like 50€ish?
    Can it be done?

Advertisement