Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

luke111 wrote: »
    hi im moving to blacktrench naas,co kildare,im just wondering whats the best broadband to get in that area,i will be useing it for web and playstation

Hi Luke

Your options for broadband for your area are OK. However I'm nearly sure that DSL may not be available to you (subject to correction), as Eircom are very slow in upgrading the area. Available alternatives include Imagine Wimax, Wicklow Broadband, Ripplecom and possibly Digiweb's Metro service. All of these are fixed wireless and install a small aerial on your roof that connects to a base station. Some of them also offer a phone service too. Speeds also vary from 3Mb - 30Mb depending on provider.

Cunnijo

Lucario wrote: »
    I currently have Vodafone broadband but will be switching soon as they are just an awful broadband company. Broadband is constantly disconnecting and their customer care don't seem to give a shít anyway. I live in rural Clare and was wondering what would be the best to switch to? Thinking of Eircom but heard that has caused problems too, any recommendations?

Hi Lucario

As I mentioned in my response to luke111 there are other alternatives to DSL (Eircom, Voadfone, etc) in the form of FWA (fixed wireless access). So see what companies provide such a service in your area. There hopefully should be some. Check the following website for info.

http://www.uchoose.ie/compare-broadband

John

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I'm with Ripplecom in North Cork advertised as 8mbps - but actually speed is 4-6 mbps. Thinking of switching to Tooway Satellite as it's faster for the same price(in theroy!) they are advertising 18mbps.

Any anybody have an experience of Tooway - are their download speeds accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm with Ripplecom in North Cork advertised as 8mbps - but actually speed is 4-6 mbps. Thinking of switching to Tooway Satellite as it's faster for the same price(in theroy!) they are advertising 18mbps.

Any anybody have an experience of Tooway - are their download speeds accurate?

Some string and tincans would be better than tooway. Satellite is a solution for the mid-Atlantic but certainly couldn't be considered broadband by any stretch of the imagination. You'd be far better off with Ripplecom.

The data caps and restrictions are penal. Have a look at this :
    http://www.tooway4you.eu/en/tooway-internet/fair-access-policy

If you do any downloading at all, even service packs you'll be throttled.
    Then there's the ping times which are useless 600-800ms for one trip to the satellite so 1200ms (minimum) for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

Hi,
    What broadband providers in Ireland currently require you to already have a phone connection and what providers do not?

Reason I ask is I am moving to a new house which has no phone at the moment. So looking to see what my options are.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

attic wrote: »
    Hi,
    What broadband providers in Ireland currently require you to already have a phone connection and what providers do not?

There are basically 3 types of broadband connection (in order of speed) cable,DSL and Fixed wireless access (not to be confused with mobile 3G or mobile Wimax). Cable and FWA do not require a phone line.

Satellite and 3G do not really fit the definition of broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hmm I searched this thread and found only 1 mention of my town and it doesn't refer to service in the town. Will I get slapped for setting up a thread about reception in my town? If it's not in this thread how can I find the info. I need?

I'm looking to get a new broadband package and want to know about reception in the town. I don't believe the own network charts, they're BS.

Hmm I searched this thread and found only 1 mention of my town and it doesn't refer to service in the town. Will I get slapped for setting up a thread about reception in my town? If it's not in this thread how can I find the info. I need?

I'm looking to get a new broadband package and want to know about reception in the town. I don't believe the own network charts, they're BS.

Hi

Where is your town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi, I'm living in Balbriggan at the minute.

I'm solely interested in wireless devices, or anything without a contract. It's fairly likely I'll be abroad again within a year so can't do contracts.

Hi

As you mention that you do not want to be committed to a contract then mobile broadband is for you. All of the mobile operators will supply a USB dongle on a Pay as you go basis. You buy the unit and just pay for what you need, if it by the day, week or month.

Check out the diifferent mobile operators for further information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi

As you mention that you do not want to be committed to a contract then mobile broadband is for you. All of the mobile operators will supply a USB dongle on a Pay as you go basis. You buy the unit and just pay for what you need, if it by the day, week or month.

Check out the diifferent mobile operators for further information.

I'm currently looking into mobile broadband for the wife's parents. They live in Spain most of the year and will be coming home towards Christmas and will want some sort of mobile broadband to do them until they go back to Spain. What's the signal generally like with mobile broadband? Is there any provider particularly good or which one(s) should they avoid? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Stephen.

Location is key. It will depend on where your in laws live. If they are in or near a city/town then service should be good. The further out you go service can start to fade. The best advice is to visit the respective mobile company's websites, go to the mobile broadband (not voice) coverage maps and enter their location. The darker the colour usually means better service and coverage. From experience I have found O2 & Vodafone to be reasonably good but not Meteor, eMobile (both Eircom owned) & 3. Their service is not as good as they say.

Hope this helps
    John

Thank you for your reply.
    They're in Tallaght so should have a decent signal, although at the best of times it's difficult to get a good signal on a mobile phone. I'll check out the various websites for coverage information and best deals.
    Thanks again :)
    Stephen.

Location is key. It will depend on where your in laws live. If they are in or near a city/town then service should be good. The further out you go service can start to fade. The best advice is to visit the respective mobile company's websites, go to the mobile broadband (not voice) coverage maps and enter their location. The darker the colour usually means better service and coverage. From experience I have found O2 & Vodafone to be reasonably good but not Meteor, eMobile (both Eircom owned) & 3. Their service is not as good as they say.

Hope this helps
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stephen P wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.
    They're in Tallaght so should have a decent signal, although at the best of times it's difficult to get a good signal on a mobile phone. I'll check out the various websites for coverage information and best deals.
    Thanks again :)

When I was going for the mobile broadband I got a few people to check what kind of coverage they were getting in the house with their mobiles. Turns out Meteor had a really good signal so I ended up with them.

The data caps are crippling though.

Stephen

Something I forgot to mention in my last posting is that the mobile operators allow an average 7 - 14 day cooling off period meaning if their unit does not work that you get your money back.

Be warned though. Do not go by mobile phone signal quality alone, as the mobile operators give priority to voice communications over data services. This means you may have a good service to make and receive calls but no data.

So by all means test them all.

John

Thanks again for your help. :)
    Stephen

Something I forgot to mention in my last posting is that the mobile operators allow an average 7 - 14 day cooling off period meaning if their unit does not work that you get your money back.

Be warned though. Do not go by mobile phone signal quality alone, as the mobile operators give priority to voice communications over data services. This means you may have a good service to make and receive calls but no data.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stephen

John

I forgot to mention that, was getting mates coming over to check the kind of speeds they were getting on their smartphones, not the bars they were getting. I only have an old Nokia so I wasn't using the net or anything through my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

Hi folks, haven't a clue what my options are for broadband so maybe if I tell you what is like then someone might be able to help me as to what I might be able to get! I'm posting this from my phone, which is very slow when surfing the net, so I can't search thread to see has anyone already asked these questions.

All I want from broadband is something fast enough and with a decent data cap so that I can watch live sport/movies on SKY anytime on my iPad.

I'm based in South Kilkenny, very near Waterford City. There is an Eircom line in my house but I haven't turned it on yet, if I have to then I will and since I'm getting SKY next week then I presume I will have to.

I'm clueless as to what my broadband options are but after a quick call to Eircom they told me that I could only get 2Meg, basically I just want to know can I get better and faster wi-fi then that?

As I said I'd love to have wi-fi good enough to watch matches and movies on in Ballincurragh (near Kilmacow) South Kilkenny. The reception from mobile phone operators around here is awful (maybe something to keep in mind!).

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Hi folks, haven't a clue what my options are for broadband so maybe if I tell you what is like then someone might be able to help me as to what I might be able to get! I'm posting this from my phone, which is very slow when surfing the net, so I can't search thread to see has anyone already asked these questions.

All I want from broadband is something fast enough and with a decent data cap so that I can watch live sport/movies on SKY anytime on my iPad.

I'm based in South Kilkenny, very near Waterford City. There is an Eircom line in my house but I haven't turned it on yet, if I have to then I will and since I'm getting SKY next week then I presume I will have to.

I'm clueless as to what my broadband options are but after a quick call to Eircom they told me that I could only get 2Meg, basically I just want to know can I get better and faster wi-fi then that?

As I said I'd love to have wi-fi good enough to watch matches and movies on in Ballincurragh (near Kilmacow) South Kilkenny. The reception from mobile phone operators around here is awful (maybe something to keep in mind!).

Thanks!

Think of WiFi as being like a cordless phone signal from the base station in your hall to the handset.

It's just the local radio system that connects from whatever broadband router you have to your laptop, your iPad, or any other wireless device in your home or that allows computers in your home to talk to each other. It's a private network in your house, that you own and manage yourself and has nothing to do with the type of broadband you use.

If Eircom can only offer you up to 2mbit/s over your phone line, that's fairly slow and would indicate that you are very far from the exchange or that the line is of poor quality. It's more likely that you're just very far from the exchange. The technology used to deliver broadband over phone lines, DSL suffers serious signal deterioration over long lines so the speed drops.

If Eircom can only provide you with 2mbit/s than any other DSL provider using that line will be stuck at those speeds too. So, UTV, Vodafone etc etc will all end up with pretty much the same results as they use the same infrastructure to ultimately access your house - i.e. your eircom phone line.

If you're actually in Waterford City, is UPC Cable available? Check around with neighbours and also put your address into their website www.upc.ie ... If it is available, it's a drastically better option.

The next best options to consider would be:

Digiweb Metro - This is a wireless service provided using a small antenna on your roof and an adapted cable modem. It's an excellent setup and can provide your voice phone services too

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/
    Seems to be available in Waterford City areas.

Speeds of up to 30mbit/s on that with low ping times (good for gaming / anything like that) 100GB cap on top package (how much you can download)

There's Alphawave - but they only offer 3mbit/s and seem quite pricy.
    Cap: None specified on website but it's subject to an acceptable usage policy. Couldn't find specifics on that.

Permanet : http://www.permanet.ie/New/products_home.html
    Again, very slow compared to Digiweb Metro seems to max out at 4mbit/s
    30 GB cap on top package (that's very small)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

hi im just wondering can someone give me some advice.

im living in newbridge and am currently using a meteor internet stick which is pay
    as you go and works ok but i am buying a smart tv and the stick cant be used with it. so i would like to get in broadband. it will have to be fast enough for the smart tv and also in the house is a laptop and an android tablet. so the broadband would have to cope with a lot of usage. can anyone suggest a good provider? the house has a phone line connected to it but we have no phone in the house. can i get a package with just internet and no talk? i also have sky in the house if that makes a difference?

im just confused and dont know what provider or package to get so any help would be great

TB26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 smanet

Hello,
    I'm really new here and I would like to have some advices from you.
    I'm Italian and I'm moving to Dublin for work. I found an apartment for rent in Manor Square, Ongar Village, Dublin 15.
    I would like to know which broadband providers work there. I was able only to find out that it's covered by UPC but I'm wondering if there's something out there without or real unlimited data transfers. I saw and read here that Magnet could be the one I'm looking but I don't know if I could get it.
    I don't mind if it's only 8 Mbit line, as I have the same in Italy :)
    Thank you in advance :)

Sandro

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    hi im just wondering can someone give me some advice.

im living in newbridge and am currently using a meteor internet stick which is pay
    as you go and works ok but i am buying a smart tv and the stick cant be used with it. so i would like to get in broadband. it will have to be fast enough for the smart tv and also in the house is a laptop and an android tablet. so the broadband would have to cope with a lot of usage. can anyone suggest a good provider? the house has a phone line connected to it but we have no phone in the house. can i get a package with just internet and no talk? i also have sky in the house if that makes a difference?

im just confused and dont know what provider or package to get so any help would be great

TB26

Are you living in Newbridge town? If so UPC are a possible solution for you. They offer speeds from 25Mb -100Mb at a reasonable cost without the need for a phone line, a talk package is also offered which uses the same coax cable as their broadband Check out www.upc.ie for more info. If this is not available to you then Imagine Wimax might be an option www.imagine.ie. All their services are half price for the 1st year. Both companies offer a wifi router/modem so your smart TV and the other items you mention will work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Are you living in Newbridge town? If so UPC are a possible solution for you. They offer speeds from 25Mb -100Mb at a reasonable cost without the need for a phone line, a talk package is also offered which uses the same coax cable as their broadband Check out www.upc.ie for more info. If this is not available to you then Imagine Wimax might be an option www.imagine.ie. All their services are half price for the 1st year. Both companies offer a wifi router/modem so your smart TV and the other items you mention will work too.

yeah living in newbridge town. i went with upc in the end got 100mb broadband and channels for 86 euro a month. which was cheaper than i was paying for my sky channels alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

I live in the Republic of Ireland (Kilmacrennan, Donegal closer to Letterkemny though) I want to know what would be the best ISP for me? I currently have Eircom Next Gen Broadband Regular the 8Mb one and I was thinking of switching to either 50mb or 100mb UPC. What do you think? I usually get 4mb/s MAX. :/

I live in the Republic of Ireland (Kilmacrennan, Donegal closer to Letterkemny though) I want to know what would be the best ISP for me? I currently have Eircom Next Gen Broadband Regular the 8Mb one and I was thinking of switching to either 50mb or 100mb UPC. What do you think? I usually get 4mb/s MAX. :/

Hi

Firstly UPC is only available in some major towns and in all the cities. Check your address on http://www.upc.ie to see if their services are available to you. If they are then by all means go for it, as their speeds are generally close to what they say and the good thing is you can finally say goodbye to line rental charges. Their phone service come down the cable with the broadband.

If however UPC is not available all is not lost. Digiweb offer a fixed wireless service called Metro, which consists of a small aerial on your roof/chimney that connects to a small modem inside your home. They too offer a phone service with their broadband and their speeds range from 8Mb to 30Mb and prices range from €40.61 - €49.95 per month depending on package taken. They too have no line rental fees. Further details can be found on http://www.digiweb.ie.

I'm sure theer are other smaller wireless operators covering your area but I would suggest Digiweb (or UPC if available) as a much better alternative to Eircom.

smanet wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm really new here and I would like to have some advices from you.
    I'm Italian and I'm moving to Dublin for work. I found an apartment for rent in Manor Square, Ongar Village, Dublin 15.
    I would like to know which broadband providers work there. I was able only to find out that it's covered by UPC but I'm wondering if there's something out there without or real unlimited data transfers. I saw and read here that Magnet could be the one I'm looking but I don't know if I could get it.
    I don't mind if it's only 8 Mbit line, as I have the same in Italy :)
    Thank you in advance :)

Sandro

Hi Sandro

Most ISP's will put a cap on downloading. However UPC limit is 500GB per month and surely you will not exceed this? Forget DSL as companies like Eircom and others set their max limit to 250-350GB a month and charge for line rental. Other companies like Imagine Wimax use what is called a fair usage policy which seems to make no reference to download caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

Hi

Firstly UPC is only available in some major towns and in all the cities. Check your address on http://www.upc.ie to see if their services are available to you. If they are then by all means go for it, as their speeds are generally close to what they say and the good thing is you can finally say goodbye to line rental charges. Their phone service come down the cable with the broadband.

If however UPC is not available all is not lost. Digiweb offer a fixed wireless service called Metro, which consists of a small aerial on your roof/chimney that connects to a small modem inside your home. They too offer a phone service with their broadband and their speeds range from 8Mb to 30Mb and prices range from €40.61 - €49.95 per month depending on package taken. They too have no line rental fees. Further details can be found on http://www.digiweb.ie.

I'm sure theer are other smaller wireless operators covering your area but I would suggest Digiweb (or UPC if available) as a much better alternative to Eircom.
    Hi thanks for the info, does the dish make any huge differences for the digiweb metro Internet? And also, is there an option of unlimited usage instead of a cap? Thanks. Also what about Smart Telecom, how're they?

Hi

There is no option for unlimited usage with Digiweb Metro (nor for any of their other services for that matter). Smart telecom only uses phone lines (not fixed wireless like Metro & Imagine Wimax) and it too is now part of the Digiweb Group. A dish will not work with Metro, only their supplied 2 way radio antenna and modem along with any additional wireless routers if they are set up correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭*Miss Ní C*

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there are any providers that offer 9 month contracts? We want wireless internet with a fairly large download allowance, but we're students so we'll only be living in the house for 9months. Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there are any providers that offer 9 month contracts? We want wireless internet with a fairly large download allowance, but we're students so we'll only be living in the house for 9months. Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks. :)

Hi

To the best of my knowledge the answer is NO. Most if not all of the providers will usually ask you for a 12 month contract and their so called special offers reflect this. Also with a rented house you would proboaly have to get permission from the landlord first. If however the house your sharing has UPC then see if he/she will allow them to supply you.

If not you can get pay as you go mobile broadband with the mobile operators (Vodafone, Meteor, etc.) but their download limits are usually up to a max of 15GB a month.

Advertisement