Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

ok so at the moment im using meteor broadband to go. I get 7gb for 20euro month which is fine only thing is im afraid to use netflix or watch you tube because it will use up my data.

i have no home phone at the moment,i would like one as i have family to ring in Europe and they only have an Irish mobile.

could anyone suggest a good provider for me maybe with unlimited broadband free international calls to mobiles?if possible

i'm in meath and i'm sure we can get any provider not sure on upc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

"ecomdationd"

What ?

"ecomdationd"

What ?
    i know and i cant change it err it was supposed to be recommendations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

http://www.callcosts.ie/home/default.asp

Probably a good place to start.

Rgds

Clinton

http://www.callcosts.ie/home/default.asp

Probably a good place to start.

Rgds

Clinton
    excellent site thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭orwellg84

Anyone have experience of FWA or other solution in the New Ross area? Would be considered a reasonably heavy user, need for work and home, a bit of streaming and some large uploads and downloads. No gaming needed. Skype maybe occasionally.

a. I know that Eircom DSL is out because of way we are wired to sub-exchange.
    b. Mobile is hopeless, even if you camp beside the mast there far too much contention.

So FWA or Satellite seem to be only option.
    a. Want to avoid sat if possible, too many restrictions.
    b. FWA Eircom was available, very reliable but .5mbs down only. Think I need at least 2-3mbs consistent.

I see that Ripplecom and Permanet may be options. Don't mind paying a bit for reliability but the reliability is essential.
    Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jumpin jack

Quote:
    Wireless (Wi-Max) Providers:
    Need to write this up still, suggestions very much welcome for this.

Irish Broadband / Imagine Group (Most of the country)

Ripplecom (Most of the country)

Wicklow Broadband (Most of Leinster)

East Cork Broadband (East Cork)

Nova Networks (County Cork)

Hope this helps,

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lliu

Hi everyone,

I moved to Kilcoole, co wicklow for almost 3 years. First 2 years I used Eircom 2mb Broadband, but the download limit is 30GB which is not enough for me to go online watch movie everyday. Therefore i moved onto Imagine Wimax last year in May as they promised they can offer UNLIMITED usage. However, Wimax is not good as I think, the broadband speed never stable (i applied 3gb but sometimes only less than 1gb) and the unlimited usage is a big cheating!

Therefore, i want to moving out from wimax and looking for a best broadband provider. Can anyone suggest a good one? i know UPC is an option, but UPC broadband service is not covered in Kilcoole area. How do you think Smart Telecom? or shall i moving back to Eircom?

sorry, i am not an Irish, my English is not good enough, hope you can enjoy understand what I said.

Thank you so so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clyncher

Hi,

Really trying to avoid UPC but weary of using ADSL phone line with Magnet. Does anyone use Magent over a phone line? Any use?

C

Quote:
    Wireless (Wi-Max) Providers:
    Need to write this up still, suggestions very much welcome for this.

Irish Broadband / Imagine Group (Most of the country)

Ripplecom (Most of the country)

Wicklow Broadband (Most of Leinster)

East Cork Broadband (East Cork)

Nova Networks (County Cork)

Hope this helps,

Jack

Thanks JumpinJack

Out of the list you provided I guess for me
    1. Imagine you would think would be available but it is not.
    2. Ripplecom maybe as a couple of masts are close - hearing horror stories elsewhere of masts being shut off though - any new comments about that?
    3. I'll check out Wicklow Broadband as they just may supply having seen their site.

Rest of the suppliers are not available in this part of Wexford methinks.

I spotted PermaNET which may be an option but their offerings are looking a bit jaded, could be enough though if the reliability was there. Any comments about them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Oceans12

hi folks can someone recommend me a decent broadband provider in
    Thormanby road howth

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help! I'm not great with tech stuff so don't know where to start looking. We're currently paying 17e per month for 15 gig O2 mobile broadband. We have the hotshot so all our devices connect to it. Two phones, a tablet, a laptop and Apple TV. However, it's nowhere near enough so we want to get broadband in to the house. It's proving difficult.

UPC broadband is not available in our area, NGB with Eircom is not available, WiMax not available etc. We currently don't have a phone but there is a phone socket thingy in the hall so I presume we're wired for one.
    We need an unlimited package but can't seem to get it. The only mildly decent thing available to us is 60 gig with Three but I hate Three and I don't think it will be enough.

We're in Johnstown in Kildare, just outside Naas so hardly the back of beyond. Has anyone any ideas?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help! I'm not great with tech stuff so don't know where to start looking. We're currently paying 17e per month for 15 gig O2 mobile broadband. We have the hotshot so all our devices connect to it. Two phones, a tablet, a laptop and Apple TV. However, it's nowhere near enough so we want to get broadband in to the house. It's proving difficult.

UPC broadband is not available in our area, NGB with Eircom is not available, WiMax not available etc. We currently don't have a phone but there is a phone socket thingy in the hall so I presume we're wired for one.
    We need an unlimited package but can't seem to get it. The only mildly decent thing available to us is 60 gig with Three but I hate Three and I don't think it will be enough.

We're in Johnstown in Kildare, just outside Naas so hardly the back of beyond. Has anyone any ideas?
    Welcome to the reality of broadband service in Ireland. As you say you are not exactly in the back of beyonds but from a technology point of view you might as well be. Eircom may have a package available but given the way the network was created it is likely that the line is not suitable.
    I am in much the same position 2kms from local town but no broadband and you can see advice given to me about this above. I tried Three and was fine but is now hopeless in this area but may be better in other places (not enough masts [only 2 in this area verses 5 and 6 for O2 and Vodafone] and too much contention).
    Basically you can try getting quotes from several suppliers, I have contacted DigiWeb, Ripplecom and PermaNET (may not be in your area) who are FWA (wireless) suppliers who may be able to help. If you can ask for a referral or a neighbour in your area before signing up it might help. Satellite is crippleware so I won't be going there with so many rules and regs for a less than perfect solution.
    I'm in the process of moving from Three at the moment and will let people know how it goes.
    All in all it's a poor service to about 40% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on what DSL service to go with. UPC isn't available in my house so that's not an option. I've had a look around online and I think I've it narrowed down to 4 options:
    1. Smart
    2. Eircom
    3. Vodafone

At the moment I'm leaning towards Smart as they seem the best value for money and my local exchange is one of their tier 1 exchanges
    1) ADSL2+ LLU exchanges. These are exchanges where we have equipment in the exchange and connect to your line directly.

Does anyone have any advice on their service? Their tech support forums seem to be pretty good so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Eircom are Eircom. Price-wise they're pretty steep but is the service reliable?

Vodafone are kinda on here by virtue of offering free Xbox Live Gold accounts with their subscription. It might seem a bit of a weird reason but if I have to pay for it anyway then it might make sense (and this way the girlfriend will be paying some of it :D). Anybody got any feedback on their service?

Is there anybody I'm missing out on? In the Galway area so can't get Magnet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sweet dee

I've just cancelled my Three broadband account - they have the worst customer service philosophy I've ever come across! Ringing them does no good, submitting complaints via their website does not good (they didnt even have the decency to reply) and they have the rudest staff. Their coverage is good in larger towns but just hope you never actually have to contact them...

I never thought I'd hear myself say it but UPC if available or even meteor dongle are WAAAAAY better.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seano12

Currently have Vodafone at home Talk Anytime + Ideal Broadband Preferential Offer

Vodafone At Home Ideal Broadband
    Vodafone At Home Talk Anytime
    Unlimited Anytime Local & National Minutes
    Unlimited Anytime minutes to UK landlines
    200 Anytime Minutes to 3 Nominated Numbers

with additional calls its costing 60 upwards a month it has upto 300gb usage

anyone give me a cheaper alternative with up to 100 gb usage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jumpin jack

Hi there,

try www.wicklowbroadband.com, they are available in Naas , Johnstown and Kildare. I'd stay well away from Ripplecom and Three btw.

Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi, this has probably been asked before but it's a long thread so tl;dr!

Just wondering is UPC broadband available in Glanmire in Cork or is there anywhere on their site where I can put in an address and they tell me if UPC is available there?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, this has probably been asked before but it's a long thread so tl;dr!

Just wondering is UPC broadband available in Glanmire in Cork or is there anywhere on their site where I can put in an address and they tell me if UPC is available there?

Thanks

Hi guys it's ok ive found the answer to my question - NO! So annoying - can't believe UPC broadband is not available in Glanmire yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

hi folks,
    I'm looking for some advice on Broadband for a new business we are creating.
    we are establishing a new media company,based on Harcourt street D2.

We need solid,reliable Broadband primarily for upload of HD video (quite a good few GB's uploaded per day most likely)
    and large volumes of hi-res,uncompressed digital images.
    we aren't so much looking for great download speeds
    (as we will be primarily creating content as apposed to consuming it)
    but if we have regular issues or problems with the connection then it really could put the whole business at risk

right now we are looking at Imagine Breeze but I'd like some feedback first

cheers

Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Culcher

Hi,

I've just moved to Mallow, and looking up the options on bonkers.ie Smart Telecom have a package that works out at €90 a year cheaper than an equivalent one by Eircom.

Does anyone have any feedback on Smart Telecom's service in Mallow, or just in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

Hi there,
    Living in Trim. Up until now I was required to use broadband via the phone line for work purposes. This restriction has been lifted and my contract with Vodafone is up.

Currently we're paying approx EUR55 per month for 'Unlimited' local, national & UK phone calls, 7MB broadband with a limit of 130GB. Unfortunately, the broadband isn't great during the evenings and weekends.

CallCosts shows many options which don't seem to be available when I check out the various websites.

Anyone out there with any suggestions of reliable broadband & landline that costs no more than I am currently paying.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Laois...

anyone know what kind of an internet connection you could get for 30 euro a month in laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Laois...

anyone know what kind of an internet connection you could get for 30 euro a month in laois?

You'll have to check here for availability, but I was very happy with Smart Telecom when I had a 24Mbps connection with them. It's now 30 euros, including VAT, there's no line rental.

And when it said "24Mbps", I'd rarely get less than 18 or 19Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ciarachino

Evening all! Trying to find out my broadband options in Allenwood Co Kildare. No phone line wanted just the broadband!

Cheers

Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

Hi people! I just received an e-mail from UPC telling me that from August my bill will be higher. I was looking for another provider and I saw that SMART Broadband offers a better price than UPC (less than 30 Euro/month). Is anyone using SMART Broadband? Can you tell me something about it? Is it worth changing? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    Hi people! I just received an e-mail from UPC telling me that from August my bill will be higher. I was looking for another provider and I saw that SMART Broadband offers a better price than UPC (less than 30 Euro/month). Is anyone using SMART Broadband? Can you tell me something about it? Is it worth changing? Thank you!

It depends where you are living the quality of your service. If you are relatively close to an LLU exchange and can get <10mbs speed then it is worth changing if you want something cheaper imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

Thank you for your message. I live on Usher's Island, and I don't know if I live close to an LLU. The service is ok, just some problems lately, but it was fine until about a week ago. SMART broadband is about 5 euro/month cheaper but I don't know how is their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 luke111

hi im moving to blacktrench naas,co kildare,im just wondering whats the best broadband to get in that area,i will be useing it for web and playstation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

I currently have Vodafone broadband but will be switching soon as they are just an awful broadband company. Broadband is constantly disconnecting and their customer care don't seem to give a shít anyway. I live in rural Clare and was wondering what would be the best to switch to? Thinking of Eircom but heard that has caused problems too, any recommendations?

Advertisement