Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Options

Comments

i know the part you're at, and i got stuck there for a while too. If it's the part i think you're on about, where you'd to fight a load of guys by about 5 boats and floating platforms, you....

Yep, that's the part, many thanks for your help. Seriously, I had a feeling it would be something small and annoying. I'm disappointed I was right. That's just poor game design in my book. Fighting those guys while dealing with the poor controls was bad enough, but I could have wandered around there for an hour looking for that way out and not found it. That kind of cheap level design is just a way to artificially extend the play time of a game and frustrate people in to the bargain.

This game is on its last warning. Any more of that kind of sh1t and it will be traded for MW3. As it is I can't wait to be finished it so I can get rid of it without feeling like I've totally wasted €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Is anybody but me really not enjoying this game? I enjoyed the other two but i just can't get into this. Bad controls, boring uninspired puzzles, too much wandering around doing nothing or wondering where I'm supposed to be going, no objectives or waypoints of any kind, even when you're hopelessly lost for ages, bad combat sequences, Stop-start action, loads of "learning by dying", irritating hit and miss chase sequences, and a good few wierd bugs and glitches thrown in for good measure.

It just seems to be frustrating me and taking me out of the game experience way too often for me to enjoy it.

I've just escaped from captivity and cleared out a shipyard, battling pirates and the control scheme, and then spent 15 minutes having no idea where I'm supposed to go, swimming and jumping around aimlessly looking for a cut scene, or a doorway, or something. There's probably some tiny inconspicuous ledge I need to grab somewhere. Seriously, would a waypoint hurt? Even a hint would be useful. They seem to come up every two minutes when I don't need them.

Can anybody help me out? Where am I supposed to be going? Its rare I would quit a game before I finish it, but I'm perilously close to trading this in right now just out of annoyance.

sounds to me like you suck at gaming.

mystic86 wrote: »
    sounds to me like you suck at gaming.

Wow. Flame baiters are coming up with such clever stuff nowadays aren't they? The quality of their material never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for your post. It's all so clear to me now, I'd never thought of that. Suddenly it all makes sense...

*roll eyes*

Wow. Flame baiters are coming up with such clever stuff nowadays aren't they? The quality of their material never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for your post. It's all so clear to me now, I'd never thought of that. Suddenly it all makes sense...

*roll eyes*

I was just being honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

No, you're being needlessly insulting because s/he has criticisms for a game you love. Good luck in life with that.

• Advertisement

No, you're being needlessly insulting because s/he has criticisms for a game you love. Good luck in life with that.

incorrect, policeman.

I have no problem with:
    "Bad controls, boring uninspired puzzles, bad combat sequences, Stop-start action, loads of "learning by dying", irritating hit and miss chase sequences, and a good few wierd bugs and glitches thrown in for good measure. "

That's his opinion. But to see this:

"too much wandering around doing nothing or wondering where I'm supposed to be going, no objectives or waypoints of any kind,

no idea where I'm supposed to go, swimming and jumping around aimlessly looking for a cut scene, or a doorway, or something. There's probably some tiny inconspicuous ledge I need to grab somewhere. "

imho - it's a problem with the gamer, when talking about Uncharted 3.

imho - it's a problem with the gamer, when talking about Uncharted 3.

Why's that? because it's a perfect flawless game, and shouldn't be criticised? Would you ever cop on?

Look, i didn't appreciate the game, you did, that's fine. And yes, i posted opinions. So did you, so does everybody here. We're perfectly entitled to disagree with each other, and that's all fine, but you WERE being needlessly insulting, as has been pointed out, and that's what i took issue with. It's clear i wasn't the only person who did so, and it's also clear that others agreed with my opinion on the part of the game in particular that my post referred to being frustrating.

Make your points, state your opinion, and back it up as robustly as you like by all means, but don't insult people needlessly by slinging mud and calling people's skills into question when you have no basis or knowledge to back your insults up.

Now, if you don't mind, i can't be bothered arguing with you anymore, I've wasted enough of my time on you already, so I'll bow out of our little téte-a-téte gracefully. Have a nice life, and enjoy being the world's best gamer.

Why's that? because it's a perfect flawless game, and shouldn't be criticised?

jumping to conclusions, I made no such claims. Nor do I agree with that. other people have pointed out problems with the game, of course they have. And you pointed out similar ones. And they are fair. But someone getting 'lost' in Uncharted 3? Ridiculous. Some of the puzzles fair enough but not what you described, that just seems like someone who is not very bright. Vast majority of people criticize it for being too linear and along you come with this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Thought uncharted 3 had a fresh take on the series with the puzzles than the previous games , in the past it was just swarms of enemies to take out and being more action packed , not thats that a bad thing uncharted 2 as i said still my favourite but through out uncharted 3 i was never bored..
    As for the complaints yes its not perfect but no game is , always bout the good overtaking the bad in the eye of the beholder .
    It balanced itself out with the puzzles, action and story blending in perfect together.

This is my game of the year

I just hope i dont see uncharted 4 for a few years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

God I really need to finish this, but have Skyrim and Assassin's Creed sitting there too and have barely had a chance to play anything all week and not looking much better for the next few weeks!

I gave up at a very frustrating part which is really putting me off going back to it though. Was a stealth part, and one of those annoying rooms wher ethey keep throwing armoured guys and snipers at ya. Drove me nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

While I do like the game [thanks to being in college during the week my gameplay is being extended], there do seem to be a lot more parts of the game I disliked rather than liked. Am in the ruined desert town now, and so far the only levels I really enjoyed were the French castle up until the fire, the Syrian citadel, ship graveyard, and any extended shooting pieces

I finished this last night. Overall I thought it was stronger towards the end. I thought the increase in set pieces, less focus on lacklustre puzzles and more on solid action and narrative saved it in the last act, but some of that may just be down to my personal preference in games. Having said that, my opinion that it's quite flawed in places still stands. I noticed a couple of annoying difficulty spikes in the last half and there were a few more bothersome glitches that interrupted the game experience.

At one point, one of the toughest gunfights in the game, when you're locked in a room with lots of tough enemies, snipers, armored guys, etc, I had thought I'd killed them all and spent ages wandering around looking for an exit or a way out with no success. Turned out there was one left, on an inaccessible balcony, stuck on a wall or something, not moving, not shooting, not saying anything, and completely out of sight. It was only after taking a shot in the dark and blind-throwing a few grenades up there that I heard him scream as i took him out completely by chance, and a door opened for me.

Overall, U3 is not a bad game, its just a little buggy with poor level design in places, less than perfect controls, and a bit less action in parts than it could have had for me. Its certainly not as good as Uncharted 2 though, the balance in that felt just right, and this one never quite hit the same sense of epicness or scale that 2 did for me. There was one moment in number 2 where you scale a tower and the city hundreds of feet below gives you an amazing sense of the perilousness of what you're doing. That set piece still stands as a yardstick for me in terms of immersion, storytelling, and scope in video games. Uncharted 3 tried a few times, but never matched that experience at any point.

Anybody need an online code? Am trading this in today and haven't used mine. GameStop won't offer me any extra for it with the code intact, so if anyone wants it, post in the next few hours, otherwise I'll just let it go to whoever buys my copy in-store.

Overall, U3 is not a bad game

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

There's always one.

Jesus dude will you let it go :(

The man is just giving his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There's always one.

I much prefered UC2 to it as well, better story, better setpieces (aside from the plane and capsized boat which were fantastic). There's a lot to love about UC3, it looks amazing,the voice acting is superb, some of the best of any game ever. plays really well aside from a few annoying sections. and you're playing it for the story as much as the gameplay. Its not flawless though, that shipyard section was seriously annoying in places and there's too many sections where the gunfights feel like a chore rather than something to be enjoyed. Sure a whole section of the game just involes the player holding up on the left stick for a good portion of it
    the wandering the desert scene, you do nothing really aside from push drake along until the next cutscene happens

Its a good solid 8/10 for me some minor quibbles, Skyrim takes GOTY for me thus far. with UC3 and Arkham closely behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Don't know how anyone's moaning about this. Its bloody fantastic. I haven't had any aiming problems, loving the story, love the interaction between Nate and Sully emphasized, love the set pieces, thoroughly amazing game.

krudler wrote: »
    There's always one.
    I much prefered UC2 to it as well, better story, better setpieces (aside from the plane and capsized boat which were fantastic). There's a lot to love about UC3, it looks amazing,the voice acting is superb, some of the best of any game ever. plays really well aside from a few annoying sections. and you're playing it for the story as much as the gameplay. Its not flawless though, that shipyard section was seriously annoying in places and there's too many sections where the gunfights feel like a chore rather than something to be enjoyed. Sure a whole section of the game just involes the player holding up on the left stick for a good portion of it
    the wandering the desert scene, you do nothing really aside from push drake along until the next cutscene happens
    Its a good solid 8/10 for me some minor quibbles, Skyrim takes GOTY for me thus far. with UC3 and Arkham closely behind.

Now you sir I respect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Been playing this a bit more the last day or so. I think it's excellent so far and as already said I'm loving the set pieces. So far the Chateau has been the highlight. Not too far in, only chapter 9 or 10 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tok9 wrote: »
    Been playing this a bit more the last day or so. I think it's excellent so far and as already said I'm loving the set pieces. So far the Chateau has been the highlight. Not too far in, only chapter 9 or 10 i think.

The chateau did feel a bit thrown in there just to have a foresty/jungle level though, i adds nothing to the plot at all. Naughy dog themselves said they came up with the setpieces first and then wrote the plot around them, it should be the other way around tbh. i cant even remember why you had to go to the chateau, something about TE Lawrence being there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just finished this, I started on hard because I was afraid that I'd breeze through on normal. It was a good choice, the game gave me a challenge.
    Finished it in just over nine hours.

I think it's a brilliant game. Not sure if I enjoyed it more than number two, it's close for me. The chateau, the sinking ship and the plane were all fantastic set-pieces, I thought. I remember thinking ''Ah, I'm safe now...'' around three or four times during the chateau fire before I was plunged back into danger again. Great buzz. I suppose having that experience early on might have taken away from the later set-pieces, you could kind of guess that something will go wrong just when you thought you were safe. But that's only a minor criticism really, it was still great fun to play through those sections.

Anyway, it's my game of the year.
    When Sully was shot, my reaction was: ''Bastards!'' They do a good job of making you connect with the characters. Thankfully it was all hocus-pocus anyway.
    One more thing, what's the deal with Drake and Elena? Were they married and split up between the second and third games? I never fully understood that storyline.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Was gonna do a crushing playthrough with the release of the new patch but i have so many damn games to finish at the moment I dont think i will. Im always indecisive about what to play and i end up playing nothing at all :rolleyes:

Was gonna do a crushing playthrough with the release of the new patch but i have so many damn games to finish at the moment I dont think i will. Im always indecisive about what to play and i end up playing nothing at all :rolleyes:

lol i finished it on crushing and it seemed easier than normal mode , maybe i knew what to do but i breeze through the ship mission didnt die once but in normal i died a million and one times, only part that was hard was the last 2 missions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Ooh, the first issue of DC's Uncharted comic series is out next Wednesday. It's a bit late to capitalise on the hype, but I'm gonna check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

krudler wrote: »
    So finally got around to finishing this tonight and I'd agree with this for the most part. I really did enjoy the game but I can't shake the nagging feeling that it was rushed to a certain extent. My issues all stem from areas that could have been improved with slightly more considerate design and, more importantly, time. These particularly revolve around the lack of interesting puzzles throughout the game and an overuse of combat in which neither the shooting, melee, enemy AI nor placement are particularly refined. It also feels more stitched together than the previous titles and the number of combat sections seem to have been increased in order to pad things out a bit, this leaves the game feeling considerably more disjointed, especially when compared to the fantastically paced UC2.

Overall though I still loved it, I guess when it comes to games of this caliber you're going to scrutinise them all the more. In my case when UC3 was at it's best it was utterly fantastic, a complete joy to play, yet when faced with some of the particularly poorly designed combat sections I was also frustrated to a similar degree. As for which feelings will stay with me the longest, well thankfully that's going to be the former ones. :)

When i went to complete crushing mode i skipped all cutscenes and bet the game roughly 3-4 hours , thats quite bad , kinda sick of cutscenes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

cloud493 wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone's moaning about this. Its bloody fantastic. I haven't had any aiming problems, loving the story, love the interaction between Nate and Sully emphasized, love the set pieces, thoroughly amazing game.

I just felt if it was a movie, and obviously it reeks of one it'd be something akin to The Adventures of Indiana Jones Jr. via Disney Pixar productions. Or maybe they're just not my kind of cast but obviously the gameplay is horrible too yet were never about that.. Felt like I'd been to an old mansion, an airfield and a barren desert and it were most uninspiring. The Atlantis hidden under the desert angle failed to fill the gap n fell flat on it's arse for me

don't know how anyone's not criticizing it tbh when it was so hyped / overrated

LH Pathe wrote: »
    I just felt if it was a movie, and obviously it reeks of one it'd be something akin to The Adventures of Indiana Jones Jr. via Disney Pixar productions. Or maybe they're just not my kind of cast but obviously the gameplay is horrible too yet were never about that.. Felt like I'd been to an old mansion, an airfield and a barren desert and it were most uninspiring. The Atlantis hidden under the desert angle failed to fill the gap n fell flat on it's arse for me

don't know how anyone's not criticizing it tbh when it was so hyped / overrated

because it's a brilliant game?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just picked this up in the gamestop.ie mega monday sale for 25 quid. Good deal. Now, I finally get to see what all the commotion is about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

because it's a brilliant game?

it really isn't. Super Mario Brothers 3 is a brilliant game. Uncharted 3 is a frustrating wannabe interactive movie, with broken controls, a dreadful story, randomly assembled set pieces and the most frustrating combat sections ever seen in a "game". If that's your bag, then cool, but it's not a brilliant game, IMO. It's barely even a game to begin with.

Advertisement