Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Any chance you could post the text of the article into a post? I'm at work and can't access Destructoid.

Also, is this related to Sony's planned announcement the day after the Spike TV Awards?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

There ya go man.

Rumor: Uncharted 3 to be announced at VGA awards

The Spike Video Game Awards are as good a place as any to announce a new game, I guess. The rumor is that one of the bigger franchises will get a reveal on the December 11th show. Kotaku heard that it's going to be Naughty Dog announcing Uncharted 3. They say that some press have already played the unannounced title.

Speaking of an early hands-on opportunity, this rumor fits right in line with a media-only event hosted by Sony the next day. Many in the gaming press have received a "save the date" notice for a Sony event on the 12th. What are we seeing there? We don't know yet, but I think you and I are on the same page with our guesses. The notice says that it's an "exclusive PlayStation 3 reveal." Hmm.

Also, remember that the last Uncharted title was first shown off at the VGAs back in 2008.

Here's hoping it is announced. Didn't play much of the original(shame on me I know, I will do one day) but 2 was absolutely brilliant fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

UC2 is one of the best sequels ever, amazingly fun game to play, had a good story, funny script, amazing setpieces, the musical score is brilliant and its one of those games that you just dont want to end, cant wait to see what Naughty Dog do for UC3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Really looking forward to this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

The Uncharted 2 multiplayer game has me addicted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Uncharted 3 be awesome news.

Evan Wells did say uncharted 3 is inspired by ico which is awesome.

link below:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=275635

also did hear Left 4 dead could be announced for the ps3 on one disk

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

also did hear Left 4 dead could be announced for the ps3 on one disk

tumblr_kqs9elydjS1qzma4ho1_400.jpg

Frisbee wrote: »
    tumblr_kqs9elydjS1qzma4ho1_400.jpg

Ownage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can't wait, really looking forward to it. Hopefully all the main characters come back as well, especially Sully ''Goddamnit kid'' :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Give me the script and writing of the first game and the gameplay and setpieces of the second and I'll be a very happy man. Uncharted 2 was a great improvement and fixed all the problems I had with the first game, particularly the respawning enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

any idea which great explorer the 3rd installment will be based around?

matty55 wrote: »
    any idea which great explorer the 3rd installment will be based around?

Not sure about the explorer, but I saw a piece on Joystiq suggesting the game may be set in the desert. In this cae, they may ditch the 'follow the explorer' idea and just go with finding a famous artefact, possibly in Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Want.

More Victor "Goddamn" Sullivan please too, Naughty Dog.

Criminally underused character in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'm almost crying with happiness here...

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/09/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-coming-in-2011/
    Great, as if we're not already jealous of Entertainment Weekly for the easy access to the hunkiest actors and sexiest starlets of today and tomorrow, now we have to hate them because they've seen Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. The game, due in 2011, will feature Drake and partner Sully on a hunt for a lost city, a journey that leads them to the Arabian Peninsula and Rub' al Khali Desert. (Note the sandy "Exhibit A" above.)

EW's preview hints at a few new gameplay tweaks, most notably the ability to fight several enemies at once, and an expanded multiplayer offering.

Full article from EW.com
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/09/uncharted-3-first-look/
    'Uncharted' exclusive: Your first look at 2011's must-play videogame 'Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception'
    by Jeff Jensen
    Categories: An EW Exclusive!, E3, Exclusive First Look, Games, Movies, News, Videogames
    Image Credit: Sony Computer Entertainment AmericaIf Indiana Jones or Robert Langdon is your definition of treasure-hunting action-adventure, then either you watch too many movies or read too many books — or you haven’t met Nathan Drake, the hero at the center the blockbuster videogame franchise Uncharted, exclusive to the PlayStation 3 platform. Last year, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves garnered widespread critical acclaim, bagged bunches of major videogame industry awards, and sold over 3.8 million copies worldwide. Hollywood’s a fan: A feature film from Columbia Pictures — adapted by helmer David O. Russell (Three Kings), produced by former Marvel Studios honcho Avi Arad and rumored to be starring Mark Wahlberg, the headliner of Russell’s forthcoming Oscar-baiting drama flick The Fighter – should be shooting just as the next game in the series, entitled Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, hits stores late next year. EW recently visited the Santa Monica, California offices of Uncharted’s developer, Naughty Dog, for a sneak peek at the sequel, and we returned wishing “late next year” was right damn now.
    Here’s what we can tell you: First off, obviously the title is not “Uncharted 3: World of Deceit,” as has been rumored here and there on the Internet. Still: Good guessing with the “deceit” thing. According to Naughty Dog’s creative director Ann Hennig, the theme of deception plays out in multiple ways throughout the threequel, from Drake doing the deceiving to Drake being deceived to some mysterious deception about Drake’s very identity. The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter. (Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”; click the link for more backstory.)

Sony Computer Entertainment America
    Uncharted likes to keep one foot (or at least a toe) grounded in history (Nathan’s ancestor is the British pirate, explorer and Navy officer Sir Francis Drake) and the plot of Uncharted 3 draws more from Drake’s exploits as well as from the life of T.E. Lawrence – not from his militant days as the fabled “Lawrence of Arabia,” but rather the Brit’s early years as an archaeologist. The inspiration for the story, says Hennig, came from Naughty Dog’s desire to take on the challenge of conceiving and building out gameplay scenarios within a desert locale — “challenge,” because organic elements like water, fire and sand are technically difficult to credibly render with animation. Says Hennig: “When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone’s eyes light up here and go, ‘Yeah, that’s going to be really hard — let’s do it!’” Adds Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: “We’re a bunch of nerds. We just look forsomething that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we’ve never tapped into before.”
    Uncharted 3 — which aspires to be an “interactive cinematic experience,” says Hennig, marked with character-driven storytelling — will also make more expansive use of motion-capture filmmaking techniques (think: the way James Cameron shot Avatar) that will enhance the quality of character performance. (In fact, Naughty Dog’s new Santa Monica digs includes its own mo-cap studio.) The execs at Naughty Dog walked us through one of the game’s levels, and while we can’t tell you anything about the locale (it actually wasn’t the desert), we can tell you that it was quintessential Uncharted, marked by dynamic camera work and gameplay that requires you to jump and climb through treacherous spaces that are in an almost constant state of change — or in this case, catastrophic collapse. Innovations? Several, including enhanced backward climbing and the ability to fight multiple baddies at once. Finally, Wells stressed that much time and effort is being lavished upon expanding Uncharted’s online multiplayer and co-op capabilities, too; expect more details to come in the coming months. Doing so gives the consumer more value for their entertainment dollar — especially in a weak economy, and esepcially among videogame consumers more prone to buying just a few games a year. It also creates a market for additional downloadable content for purchase (Uncharted zombie maps, anyone?), and cultivates an avid community of what Wells calls “evangelists” that can help create buzz future products. “We want to take on the big boys of the multi-player genre,” says Wells, no doubt alluding to multiplayer giants Call of Duty and Halo. “It has become something here at Naughty Dog that will become an important part to all our games.”

Sony Computer Entertainment America
    Naughty Dog is remaining cagey about the release date for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, but expect it to drop around the same time that the first Nathan Drake novel, Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth, hits next fall. (According to Wells, 2011 marks the beginning of Naughty Dog’s push to make Uncharted a “transmedia” entertainment brand, with high quality, mythology-managed storytelling extensions of the Uncharted universe created for various entertainment media, i.e. Star Wars.) That said, Uncharted 3′s release date could be announced in the first trailer for the game, scheduled to air during the Spike Videogame Awards on Dec. 11. But lest we leave you dangling like Uncharted so often does with its hero, here’s a teasy little glimpse of Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Take a look, then sound off in the message boards below.

There's a teaser embedded on the EW.com site too, world premier at the VGAs.

EDIT: Obviously i did not see the other thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its just been announced, details below:

The story focuses on the hero’s relationship with his mentor and father figure, fan fave Victor “Sully” Sullivan, and has him searching for a legendary lost city that will ultimately take him to the Arabian Peninsula and the vast wasteland of the Rub’ al Khali Desert, also known as the Empty Quarter. (Said legendary lost city has been known by various names, including “Iram of the Pillars” and the “Atlantis of the Sands”; click the link for more backstory.)

The inspiration for the story, says Hennig, came from Naughty Dog’s desire to take on the challenge of conceiving and building out gameplay scenarios within a desert locale — “challenge,” because organic elements like water, fire and sand are technically difficult to credibly render with animation. Says Hennig: “When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone’s eyes light up here and go, ‘Yeah, that’s going to be really hard — let’s do it!’” Adds Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells: “We’re a bunch of nerds. We just look forsomething that will be a technical, artistic challenge, and allowed us to push into an area of the world and history we’ve never tapped into before.”

The execs at Naughty Dog walked us through one of the game’s levels, and while we can’t tell you anything about the locale (it actually wasn’t the desert), we can tell you that it was quintessential Uncharted, marked by dynamic camera work and gameplay that requires you to jump and climb through treacherous spaces that are in an almost constant state of change — or in this case, catastrophic collapse. Innovations? Several, including enhanced backward climbing and the ability to fight multiple baddies at once. Finally, Wells stressed that much time and effort is being lavished upon expanding Uncharted’s online multiplayer and co-op capabilities, too; expect more details to come in the coming months..

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/09/uncharted-3-first-look/

uncharted-3-desert_510.jpg

uncharted-3-village-art_510.jpg

After what they did with snow effects in U2, i can't wait to see what they do with the sand animations! Will defo be watching the VGA's this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I know it's not out yet but I have a feeling this will be my 2011 game of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

They must of started working on this as soon as uncharted 2 was done,fairy quick to anounce it only a year after the last game, though it would be ages before any news on it

The only thing that's worrying me is that there is no mention of Elena's character. I hope she's still in this.

More Victor is good, hopefully this may mean some co-op play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Official blog: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/12/09/uncover-the-truth-in-uncharted-3-drakes-deception/

Real (?) Screenshots? Look a bit too good to be true.

51-ML8rQGKL._AA300_.jpg
    51I3idvjuRL._AA300_.jpg

Click for full resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed.

Lookingfor - can you shrink those images a bit please?

I'd say they've been touched up a tad, will look spectacular though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sweet statutory !

Mr E wrote: »
    Thread renamed.

Lookingfor - can you shrink those images a bit please?

Smaller images:
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5085/5246990940_16280dca2d_z.jpg
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/5246388335_3f55ce22e9_z.jpg

Drake looks older and has more weight in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Soz about the images, thumbnailed now.

PR piece:
    UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception

Clandestine organisations, remote locations and ancient secrets

Drake is back on a high stakes expedition to the heart of the Arabian Desert

London, 9th December 2010: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is pleased to unveil the latest instalment in the multimillion-selling action adventure franchise, UNCHARTED. Developed exclusively for PlayStation®3 [PS3TM] by the team at Naughty Dog Inc., UNCHARTED 3: Drake's DeceptionTM blurs the entertainment boundaries, delivering the cinematic scale, adrenalin rushes, thrills and mystery that are the UNCHARTED trademark; together with its unique and enhanced multiplayer experience.

Fans of the franchise and newcomers alike will relish the opportunity to catapult themselves headlong into a real adventure, in a search for the fabled "Atlantis of the Sands." The journey propels fortune hunter Nathan Drake on a daring trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert, a journey that pits him and his mentor Victor Sullivan against the occult treachery of a shadowy clandestine organization and its ruthless leader. When the terrible secrets of this lost city are unearthed, Drake's quest descends into a desperate bid for survival that strains the limits of his endurance and forces him to confront his deepest fears.

Key Features:
    * Bigger set pieces and more explosive adventure, driven by Naughty Dog's signature storytelling and cinematic presentation.
    * Competitive and co-op multiplayer return with brand new experiences and massively expanded feature sets. The UNCHARTED universe provides online players with a unique Action Adventure multiplayer experience, bringing the cinematic elements of the single-player campaign into multiplayer.
    * Nathan Drake can now take on opponents in more ways than before: hand-to-hand combat with multiple opponents, contextual melee attacks, and new stealth options. UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception also features expanded and diverse traversal moves with deep gunplay.
    * Naughty Dog introduces new physics, visuals, and environmental effects. UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception features new innovations in sand, fire, smoke, and water dynamics and effects. UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception will be playable in Stereoscopic 3D.

With its award-winning storytelling, blockbuster cinematic action sequences, immersive high resolution 3D and stunning environmental detail and effects, UNCHARTED 3: Drake's Deception is the chance to lose yourself in the world of Nathan Drake - and to experience the true power of PlayStation 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

ongarite wrote: »
    Drake looks older and has more weight in his face.

And he's wearing a gay scarf. I hope Sully and him are just friends.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Yays! I must play the second one again, never got around to getting the Platinum.

Advertisement