Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

I have UNCharted 1+2 being delivered from play at the mo will have to play them first

Iv never played uncharted before.

anywere in dublin selling the 3rd for 45euro:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

biggebruv wrote: »
    I have UNCharted 1+2 being delivered from play at the mo will have to play them first

HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

biggebruv wrote: »

Your going to love the games. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally finished it today (after picking it up on release and playing an hour before going to Limerick for 4 days and coming home to MW3!). Like the previous installments, an absolute masterpiece of a game. Really makes use of the term interactive media. It's like playing a film.

I got extremely frustrated at times though, some crazy hard set-pieces, like the main hall in the ship. However, with the crazy hard set pieces came the fantastic scenes. My stand out moment came when
    the cruise shop overturned, and you're back in the main hall and look to the wall (previously the ceiling) and the ocean is half way up along it.
    That blew me away for some reason. But the game is jam packed with moments like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Like the previous installments, an absolute masterpiece of a game. Really makes use of the term interactive media. It's like playing a film.

As much as I like the series, I think Uncharted actually brings interactivity in gaming back a notch :pac: Sure, you have limited control in some respects (in combat particularly) but you are simply experiencing what Naughty Dog has determined you will experience. Heck, it's possible you might even miss it, because try as they may with nifty camera angles, you're not always going to be looking the way you're 'supposed' to be.

There are few truly interactive games - Minecraft being the main one that springs to mind - but most give the player considerable control over how the experience will play out within predefined limits. Uncharted is certainly at the lower end of the scale in that regard. It's no harm having a few of these types of games when they do it well, but it would be a shame it it became the dominant type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

well said. There's a lot of cutscenes that the game tries to trick you into thinking actually aren't
    wandering in the desert, the hallucinating scene for example
    but all you're really doing is pressing up on the left stick

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭LauraW7746

Hey guys my psn is Gamer7746 if ye want to play multiplayer sometime ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I think one of the problems is that it has a lot of contemporary settings in it. For me, part of the joy of Uncharted is exploring unseen, unknown locations, not something you've seen a million times in films and games. I'm at the airport now and can't wait to get into the desert, where I'm hoping it'll be more like the Tibetan levels in U2.

I'd compare it to Vice City - a very good game in its own right, but at the end of the day it's just a variation on the previous, revolutionary game in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

truth is the ending caught me out; was still waiting for it to start. And this was never going to live up to U2 in which I was determined anyhow.. but hey it's all geographical.

Also it ears the gizzards ourra me to see this score in the high 90s, seems most 'professional' revievers are kids caught in a tide of hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really enjoyed it, the opening levels and the
    airport/plane
    parts were the highlights.

However, I thought the
    Sully death hallucination
    was a bit of a cop out.
    Much as I like Sully, his death would've added a serious sense of danger to the series
    !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Mr. K wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, the opening levels and the
    airport/plane
    parts were the highlights.

However, I thought the
    Sully death hallucination
    was a bit of a cop out.
    Much as I like Sully, his death would've added a serious sense of danger to the series
    !
    I honestly fell for it. Thought it was very well done. It was sudden but seemed to fit in well with the motives of the Talbot and Katherine. I was actually gutted they killed him off. He's quite possibly the best character in Uncharted. It's because of him that I like Drake as much as I do. If his interactions with Sully didn't exist, I wouldn't like Drake as much. I though he was hallucinating when he saw him alive afterwards. Maybe I'm too gullible. Anyone else fall for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The constant "Large Man" fights bugged me actually. Same technique used for all of them, even the same animation for all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The constant "Large Man" fights bugged me actually. Same technique used for all of them, even the same animation for all of them
    Yeah. Were actually quite weak as a gameplay mechanic. Alright the first time or two, but it became tiresome after a while.

Anyone else fall for it?
    I did, briefly. I wanted to murder Talbot. But then I thought about the whole hallucination possibility! Actually, Talbot was a pretty good villain; dapper and smug. It was cool seeing Nate and Sully double-teaming him
    !

Agreed, these got dull fast!

I don't think it was as good as 2 overall. The lack of a
    final boss
    was better, but I don't think the set pieces were as good. Also, as stated by others previously,
    Chloe and Cutter
    were underused. I loved the Chloe/Nate interactions in 2; she's probably my favourite Uncharted character.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I liked Cutter, was really hoping
    they didnt go down the "he's good/bad/good" route, which it did briefly but he's good overall and his moments of badness weren't his fault

Sully is a great as always, the beginning really added to his and Nate's relationship,
    when he tells Nate "dont ever point a gun at me again" and he's deadly serious near the end after Nate hallucinates it added a little spark to the dynamic

I thought Marlow and Talbot could have done with a bit more fleshing out though, Talbot especially, he was a very cool villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Finished it there last night. Wasn't too impressed with it to be honest, and I loved the first two.

I think, to me, it felt like a buggy version of Uncharted. Why did they **** with the controls? :confused: Drake doesn't seem to know what he's supposed to be doing half the time.

Why the ridculous spikes in difficulty? It really takes you out of the experience. I've beaten the first two on the hardest difficulty, but I struggled with this one on normal.
    Did they ever explain what the story was with the dead guy they found in the chateau? If they did, I missed it :confused:

Unless they do something radically different with the next game, I think I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Chloe and Cutter spin off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Chloe and Cutter spin off?
    That be cool. Chloe has the best computer generated arse ever hahahaha. Cutter was cool in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Finished it yesterday, i thought it was one of the best experiences i had in a long time , some of the stuff they pulled off making this game was sheer jaw dropping. Granted it fell A LITTLE short to beat uncharted 2 for me but that does not take away the amount of enjoyment i had with this holy grail.
    Ive little to no complaints , only thing that got on my tits were the controls and even bout 3 hours into the single player i forgot all about it.
    For me with the series its..

Uncharted 2 among thieves
    Uncharted 3 drakes deception
    Uncharted drakes fortune

No doubt in my mind its my favourite game series off all time..

Finished it yesterday, i thought it was one of the best experiences i had in a long time , some of the stuff they pulled off making this game was sheer jaw dropping. Granted it fell A LITTLE short to beat uncharted 2 for me but that does not take away the amount of enjoyment i had with this holy grail.
    Ive little to no complaints , only thing that got on my tits were the controls and even bout 3 hours into the single player i forgot all about it.
    For me with the series its..

Uncharted 2 among thieves
    Uncharted 3 drakes deception
    Uncharted drakes fortune

No doubt in my mind its my favourite game series off all time..

I'd agree with you up to your last statement, the Legacy of Kain series holds that title!

And i know that alot o f the sequences were holding your hand, but to me it felt more interactive than most other games i've played. The same went for Uncharted 2, even though you couldn't do everything you wanted, the way they done it made me feel like i was Nate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Anyone know when the aiming patch will be out? Im dying to give it another playthrough but want to wait for the patch.

I'd agree with you up to your last statement, the Legacy of Kain series holds that title!

And i know that alot o f the sequences were holding your hand, but to me it felt more interactive than most other games i've played. The same went for Uncharted 2, even though you couldn't do everything you wanted, the way they done it made me feel like i was Nate.

Never heard of legacy of kain ..

Amy Hennig, who wrote the Uncharted series, also wrote the LoK series.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Amy Hennig, who wrote the Uncharted series, also wrote the LoK.

Ahh thats kick ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

:eek::eek: One of my favourite series of all time! If you can get over dated graphics of each game i would highly recommend picking up some of the games, although there is quite and few and some focus on other characters and exclude others...

:eek::eek: One of my favourite series of all time! If you can get over dated graphics of each game i would highly recommend picking up some of the games, although there is quite and few and some focus on other characters and exclude others...

Wouldnt be arsed unless someone were to throw them on my lap :pac::pac:

Wouldnt be arsed unless someone were to throw them on my lap :pac::pac:

I have them all except the original Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen.

LoK: Soul Reaver on PS1
    LoK: Soul Reaver on PS2
    Lok: Blood Omen 2 on PS2
    LoK: Defiance on PS2

Aside from the first Soul Reaver, I reckon the others hold up pretty well.

I would happily lend them to you. Everyone should have played these games. The voice acting is beyond superb, and the story is possibly the best story ever written!!! I'm hoping for a HD remake of them all, and a sequel. Preferably with Kain killing every Twilight vampire with minimal effort necessary.

Is anybody but me really not enjoying this game? I enjoyed the other two but i just can't get into this. Bad controls, boring uninspired puzzles, too much wandering around doing nothing or wondering where I'm supposed to be going, no objectives or waypoints of any kind, even when you're hopelessly lost for ages, bad combat sequences, Stop-start action, loads of "learning by dying", irritating hit and miss chase sequences, and a good few wierd bugs and glitches thrown in for good measure.

It just seems to be frustrating me and taking me out of the game experience way too often for me to enjoy it.

I've just escaped from captivity and cleared out a shipyard, battling pirates and the control scheme, and then spent 15 minutes having no idea where I'm supposed to go, swimming and jumping around aimlessly looking for a cut scene, or a doorway, or something. There's probably some tiny inconspicuous ledge I need to grab somewhere. Seriously, would a waypoint hurt? Even a hint would be useful. They seem to come up every two minutes when I don't need them.

Can anybody help me out? Where am I supposed to be going? Its rare I would quit a game before I finish it, but I'm perilously close to trading this in right now just out of annoyance.

I've just escaped from captivity and cleared out a shipyard, battling pirates and the control scheme, and then spent 15 minutes having no idea where I'm supposed to go, swimming and jumping around aimlessly looking for a cut scene, or a doorway, or something. There's probably some tiny inconspicuous ledge I need to grab somewhere. Seriously, would a waypoint hurt? Even a hint would be useful. They seem to come up every two minutes when I don't need them.

Can anybody help me out? Where am I supposed to be going? Its rare I would quit a game before I finish it, but I'm perilously close to trading this in right now just out of annoyance.

i know the part you're at, and i got stuck there for a while too. If it's the part i think you're on about, where you'd to fight a load of guys by about 5 boats and floating platforms, you
    climb the crows nest of the **** near the back of the area where the machine gunner was. Climb it all the way to the top, and there's part of a yellow ladder that you can jump to, there's birds on it. Continue on from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That shipyard part was the most annoying part of the game. I had to leave it for a few hours and come back to it such was my frustration. But I did manage to find the next bit after swimming about for a while.

Advertisement