Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Can one saorview box provide digital to all TVs in a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

No. Each non Saorview TV will need a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

No. Each non Saorview TV will need a box.
    :eek:

Crikey!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i tried to tune in my sisters toshiba TV at the weekend but had some issues..

*the digital channels had subtitles on, i switched it off via the remote but everytime i changed back they'd be on again

*the following day all digital channels were gone, tried to retune but to no
    avail (i'm using a set top ariel)

*What does RF mean? and whats the RF for mid-west ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

RF= Radio Frequency. You can use the Saorview coverage checker to get an idea of the best transmitter to receive from at your location but, as it says: "Coverage shown is based on a rooftop aerial in good condition (indoor reception may be possible in areas with very good signal strength)."

Clicking on the transmitter icons on the map will display the UHF channel in use at that site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fryup wrote: »
    i tried to tune in my sisters toshiba TV at the weekend but had some issues..

*the digital channels had subtitles on, i switched it off via the remote but everytime i changed back they'd be on again

There'll be an option somewhere within the menu to switch them off permanently, check the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I got a Sony 26" for my computer room
    I first set it ip to Ireland and see what way the channel is layout
    RTE1 =1 RT2 =2 and so on then the UK Freeview channles is not in order as it should be.
    BBC1 = 45 BBC2 = 46, UTV = 75.
    I did a factory reset and set the TV to UK setting and rescan the channels
    Freeview came in correct order and the RTE are in the 800's
    What I like about this TV is even when is set to UK and have correct feature for UK Freeview, RTE Saorview also works fine
    like MHEG digital text on RTE1, RTE2, RTE News and teletext on TV3, 3e & TG4.
    Also this TV will allow both type of subtitles, DVB and teletext
    When summer time come, I will then know if the time is still correct.
    I will update with any other features
    So thumb up for this TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6 code_tweetie

Hello
    We recently bought the samsung UE40D6100 (40" LED smart tv & 3D) model from Currys (http://www.currys.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-UE40D6100-40andquot-Full-HD-LED-3D-TV/305725/339.0#product-information)
    It says Irish digital which I think means Saorview approved.
    I'm not having any cable connection, just have aerial.
    When I do auto tuning, to find digital & analogue channels from air, the TV finds 5 channels, but the picture quality/clarity is very poor.
    Also I live in Cornelscourt, Blackrock.

Please advise me how to tune or adjust the aerial to get good quality of these channels.
    Thanks.

Your tv is on the Saorview approved list, so it's not a question of compatibility.

Looks like you're just picking up analogue channels: what kind of aerial are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just bought an LG 22" telly in Tesco Tipp Town for €99, badged as "freeview" but just after switching it on, its fully saorview, happy out

Posted by Feardark in the Tesco Bargains thread over in Bargain Alerts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76120727#post76120727

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Can't help but laugh at the *Big Sale* being advertised by one retailer.

I noticed today that one tv has increased in price by €90 compared to what it was last week...

The big sale - yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

is this right if i get a TV with a DVB-T2 tuner i can get saorview, saorview HD, freeview, freeview HD

i live near the border so should pick up the UK signals, i can get them all except channel 5 atm

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

batistuta9 wrote: »
    is this right if i get a TV with a DVB-T2 tuner i can get saorview, saorview HD, freeview, freeview HD

i live near the border so should pick up the UK signals, i can get them all except channel 5 atm

For those in the border areas a Freeview HD (MPEG-4 DVB-T2) TV or box is a better option in my opinion than a Saorview ( MPEG-4 DVB-T) one. Freeview HD will give BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, UTV HD (or will it be ITV1 HD ?) and C4 HD when they begin broadcasting in NI in 2012, in addition to all the other Saorview and Freeview channels.

The fact that you don't receive Channel 5 would be a slight concern to me though, do you know why it is you don't receive it? Do you know what transmitter you receive the analogue UK channels from?

The fact that you don't receive Channel 5 would be a slight concern to me though, do you know why it is you don't receive it? Do you know what transmitter you receive the analogue UK channels from?

All the NI transmitters will carry the PSB HD channels, present analogue C5 reception is of no relevance as it only broadcasts from 2 sites with nowhere near as much coverage as the other 4 analogue channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

For those in the border areas a Freeview HD (MPEG-4 DVB-T2) TV or box is a better option in my opinion than a Saorview ( MPEG-4 DVB-T) one. Freeview HD will give BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, UTV HD (or will it be ITV1 HD ?) and C4 HD when they begin broadcasting in NI in 2012, in addition to all the other Saorview and Freeview channels.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    All the NI transmitters will carry the PSB HD channels, present analogue C5 reception is of no relevance as it only broadcasts from 2 sites with nowhere near as much coverage as the other 4 analogue channels.

i can't receive tv3 or 3e on analogue either if that matters( i can via sky though) but don't think people beside me can either, but the closest transmitter the does channel 5 to me is derry(i can also get this on sky through other channels).

going by the BBC site the closest main transmitter is limavady but the closest to me are strabane or castlederg

would a TV with these spec's be able to pick up all the channels(freeview & saorview) & show teletext for ireland as well?
    it's listed as having freeview HD so i think it should from what holidaysong said in his post
    Teletext (TTXT): Yes
    System DTV Reception (DVB-T/T2/C/S2): DVB-T/C
    DTV Tuner Built-in: Yes
    MHP/ MHEG (version): Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

*sigh*

I have the following TV ; (http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-ps43d490a1wxxu-43-inch-3d-hd-ready-plasma-tv/888756309.prd?cmtag=o&_requestid=106766&browseToken=/q/py265&totalResults=1)

it is listed as been SAORVIEW approved on their website. I don't have a satellite dish or upc, I have analogue cable.

The problem is my friend has a 32" tv with a MPEG4 built in to it, they live in the same block as me but when they plugged their new tv in with the cable they got the SAORVIEW channels automatic??

Does that mean I need to purchase a SAORVIEW box?

:(

batistuta9 wrote: »
    would a TV with these spec's be able to pick up all the channels(freeview & saorview) & show teletext for ireland as well?
    it's listed as having freeview HD so i think it should from what holidaysong said in his post

I would think so.

Some of the Saorview approved Sony TVs also come with a DVB-T2 tuner by default, have a look at the specs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

*sigh*

I have the following TV ; (http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/samsung-ps43d490a1wxxu-43-inch-3d-hd-ready-plasma-tv/888756309.prd?cmtag=o&_requestid=106766&browseToken=/q/py265&totalResults=1)

it is listed as been SAORVIEW approved on their website. I don't have a satellite dish or upc, I have analogue cable.

The problem is my friend has a 32" tv with a MPEG4 built in to it, they live in the same block as me but when they plugged their new tv in with the cable they got the SAORVIEW channels automatic??

:(

If the TV is Saorview approved, you do not need a seperate decoder box. It is only 1024 x 768 resolution which is not great on a TV like this. No mention of Saorview on the Samsung website, and no mention of MPEG4 either.

You can return it if you are not happy, but there is only a short time to do so.

Who is the analogue cable provider, UPC or some other provider? Is the analogue cable connected to an aerial? What analogue channels do you receive?
    The problem is my friend has a 32" tv with a MPEG4 built in to it, they live in the same block as me but when they plugged their new tv in with the cable they got the SAORVIEW channels automatic?

Your TV is Saorview approved and should receive the Saorview channels when connected to an aerial pointing at a Saorview transmitter. Have you done a digital scan.

Maybe your friend's TV point is connected to an aerial or if not, the co-ax cable to the TV point may be low grade and acting as an aerial picking up a strong Saorview signal.

Can you take your TV over to your friend's place and do a digital scan?

If the TV is Saorview approved, you do not need a seperate decoder box. It is only 1024 x 768 resolution which is not great on a TV like this. No mention of Saorview on the Samsung website, and no mention of MPEG4 either.

You can return it if you are not happy, but there is only a short time to do so.

Thanks the TV suits us fine as it's used in the game room :)

It is too late to return it now though

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Who is the analogue cable provider, UPC or some other provider? Is the analogue cable connected to an aerial? What analogue channels do you receive?

Your TV is Saorview approved and should receive the Saorview channels when connected to an aerial pointing at a Saorview transmitter. Have you done a digital scan.

Maybe your friend's TV point is connected to an aerial or if not, the co-ax cable to the TV point may be low grade and acting as an aerial picking up a strong Saorview signal.

Can you take your TV over to your friend's place and do a digital scan?

Just to clarify both my friend and myself are connected to http://www.cablewatch.tv/

Her TV has an MPEG4 built in to it.

I am not sure how to do a digital scan??

Basically I turned my TV on plugged the coaxial cable into the back of it and received my basic channels (none of them in HD) I am not sure where the aerial is pointing to as it must be up on the top of my apartment block.

I really not sure what the issue is as my TV is on the saorview list but I can't understand why I can not receive it?

:confused:

It is only 1024 x 768 resolution which is not great on a TV like this.

Thought that was a common resolution for plasmas?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Thought that was a common resolution for plasmas?

The picture is very crisp I find, suits us fine anyway :)

I am not sure how to do a digital scan??

Basically I turned my TV on plugged the coaxial cable into the back of it and received my basic channels (none of them in HD) I am not sure where the aerial is pointing to as it must be up on the top of my apartment block.

I really not sure what the issue is as my TV is on the saorview list but I can't understand why I can not receive it?

The TV's manual will describe how to do a digital scan/retune.

What basic channels are you receiving, the 4 terrestrial channels (RTÉ1/2, TV3, TG4) or a basic cable package of channels?

As to why you are not receiving Saorview, is your TV point connected to an aerial? If not you won't receive the Saorview channels.

The Cush wrote: »
    The TV's manual will describe how to do a digital scan/retune.

What basic channels are you receiving, the 4 terrestrial channels (RTÉ1/2, TV3, TG4) or a basic cable package of channels?

As to why you are not receiving Saorview, is your TV point connected to an aerial? If not you won't receive the Saorview channels.

hi, I receive a BASIC pakage of channels (around 20) which includes RTE, TV3 TG4 etc...

the TV is not plugged into any aerial, just a white cable from the cablewatch box.

will look again at the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

the TV is not plugged into any aerial, just a white cable from the cablewatch box.

will look again at the manual.

Saorview is a digital terrestrial (DTT) service only. To get the Saorview channels, the TV needs to be connected to an aerial which is pointed at the correct transmitter for your area.

We don't know where this "Cablewatch" is fed from though; might just be from a dish & aerial, maybe to multiple receivers & modulators (wonder what the 'box' does).

Maybe they charge extra for the Saorview feed ...

Battries not included, how about a pic of the Cablewatch box?

?ui=2&ik=13501d1bd5&view=att&th=13496c000717673b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1389760508078325760-1&zw?ui=2&ik=13501d1bd5&view=att&th=13496c004b21852e&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1389760538035093504-1&zw

whoops sorry the pics are very big!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

STB wrote: »
    ... They are feeding TV to you on an internal UHF Cable system.
    They are NOT providing a feed from an aerial but from their in house cable system, so when you plug in your cable you are getting cable TV not terrestrial TV.

Where is this "in house cable system" fed from & do you mean "cable tv" as in DVB-C or analogue or what?

Advertisement