Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

No use for Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Alright lads, i have these two tv's and i'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if they will work off the bat or do i need some saorview boxes-

First is a 37" techwood, theres no model no but it says its IDTV, has DVB-T, MPEG2, DVB-T,MPEG4HD, MHEG-5. I have a picture of the Digital reception specs if needed.

Second is an AOC L32W781A i think. Can double check that when i get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Quick question, do all Panasonic TVs that have a DVB-T2 tuner, thus making them compatible with UK freeview HD....have the ability to receive Irish Saorview? And how could one record a show without a set top box?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭peking97

I can only speak for the Panasonic 2011 model TX-P46GT30B which I've got. It has a USB slot where an external HDD can be attached and Saorview and recording work fine. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

gebbel wrote: »
    Quick question, do all Panasonic TVs that have a DVB-T2 tuner, thus making them compatible with UK freeview HD....have the ability to receive Irish Saorview? And how could one record a show without a set top box?

Pick up one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002EHVP9C

& 1 of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017RW94A

Now you have Saorview on your tv AND laptop for £16. You can easily set your laptop in a way that puts Saorview on your TV & your desktop on your laptop screen so you can use your laptop while watching TV. You can record on channels you're not currently watching, saves it to your hard drive automatically in full HD in whatever format you like & can set it to record at specific times/days/weeks also, even recurring record at a certain time every week in case you forget to set it.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Would this be saorview ready ?

Alba 16" LCD HD Ready TV with Freeview Model LCDW16HDF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Any idea if my wharfdale lcd42f1080p works or do I need a separate tuner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Highly unlikely that it works with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Highly unlikely that it works with Saorview.

is it only freeview HD tv's that'll work with saorview because they're DVT-2 and MPEG 4

can someone confirm this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

If you're not buying Saorview approved, you just have to examine the specs of each tv.

Some 'Freeview' sets will have mpeg4 decoders that support the Saorview profile. All Freeview HD sets will, some of the Saorview approved tvs are Freeview HD certified as well.

DVB-T2 is not needed for Saorview.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    If you're not buying Saorview approved, you just have to examine the specs of each tv.

Some 'Freeview' sets will have mpeg4 decoders that support the Saorview profile. All Freeview HD sets will, some of the Saorview approved tvs are Freeview HD certified as well.

DVB-T2 is not needed for Saorview.

i know that saorview is DVB-T, but i live near the border - get NI/english channels now through the aerial - and want to get a TV that'll pick up both saorview & freeview

i though it was that freeview tv's won't pick up saorview - they're DVB-T & MPEG 2 i think but a freeview HD one will because they're DVB-T2 and it'll work with DVB-T as well & they're MPEG 4

so i'm looking to find out for definite what's needed on the TV to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i know that saorview is DVB-T, but i live near the border - get NI/english channels now through the aerial - and want to get a TV that'll pick up both saorview & freeview

i though it was that freeview tv's won't pick up saorview - they're DVB-T & MPEG 2 i think but a freeview HD one will because they're DVB-T2 and it'll work with DVB-T as well & they're MPEG 4

so i'm looking to find out for definite what's needed on the TV to do this

As you live near the border go for a receiver with a DVB-T2 tuner, this will give you the present Saorview and Freeview channels and the future FreeviewHD channels from Oct 24th.

Go for either a FreeviewHD certified receiver or a Saorview approved receiver that has a DVB-T2 tuner by default, e.g. any of the Sony Saorview model nos. listed here ending in 23 and 24 have a DVB-T2 tuner I believe (check the specs.).

Regarding Freeview Tvs and MPEG-4, as the lads said above if you're going for a non-Saorview approved TV always check the specs for MPEG-4 video decoding. I have 3 non-Saorview approved TVs in the house all working OK with Saorview (one of them 4 yrs old).

For you I would recommend a TV with DVB-T2 for the extra 4/5 FreeviewHD channels from Oct next.

The Cush wrote: »
    As you live near the border go for a receiver with a DVB-T2 tuner, this will give you the present Saorview and Freeview channels and the future FreeviewHD channels from Oct 24th.

Go for either a FreeviewHD certified receiver or a Saorview approved receiver that has a DVB-T2 tuner by default, e.g. any of the Sony Saorview model nos. listed here ending in 23 and 24 have a DVB-T2 tuner I believe (check the specs.).

Regarding Freeview Tvs and MPEG-4, as the lads said above if you're going for a non-Saorview approved TV always check the specs for MPEG-4 video decoding. I have 3 non-Saorview approved TVs in the house all working OK with Saorview (one of them 4 yrs old).

For you I would recommend a TV with DVB-T2 for the extra 4/5 FreeviewHD channels from Oct next.

yeah a lot of them (ending in 23/24) do seem to have a DVB-T2 tuner but some models have nothing listed about the video decoding see here ends in 23/24 while others do see here doesn't in 23/24 though but has DVB-T2 i think

where would i find out about the video decoding would it be in the manual or am i missing something on the page?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah a lot of them (ending in 23/24) do seem to have a DVB-T2 tuner but some models have nothing listed about the video decoding see here ends in 23/24 while others do see here doesn't in 23/24 though but has DVB-T2 i think

where would i find out about the video decoding would it be in the manual or am i missing something on the page?

Information regarding video decoding will be in the tech specs section of the TV's manual.

All DVB-T2 TVs have MPEG-4 video decoding by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Hi, will my sony TV KDL37S5650 compatible with saorview?

mudxfxa wrote: »

Do you have the manual? If so check the tech specs for H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

mudxfxa wrote: »
    Yes
    see page 33 / 37
    http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4159788121.pdf

Model name
    KDL-37P36/P56/ S56xx
    Analogue: B/G/H, D/K, L, I
    Digital: DVB-T, DVB-C (Except for KDL-40/37/32P36xx)
    Colour/Video System
    Analogue: PAL, PAL60 (only video input), SECAM, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43 (only video input)
    Digital: MPEG-2 MP@ML/HL, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.0, MP@L3.0
    Channel Coverage
    Analogue: 46.25 - 855.25 MHz
    Digital: VHF/UHF

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

sponge_bob wrote: »

The information on the page states "This TV will not work with digital signals in the Republic of Ireland, you will require a digital set top box or satellite source"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

sponge_bob wrote: »

Don't think so. It's freeview, it's full HD, but not freeview HD. Nor is it Saorview.
    Best advice is to get a proper Saorview model from your own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

From first post in this thread
    SJxxDMAB / DMBB series - MHEG5 OK

I don't use teletext but do have one of these TVs, which indeed has MHEG5, but will not display the MHEG5 teletext.

I recall reading an opinion that *maybe* it would when the older teletext disappears.

Is there any news on whether this TV might or should do MHEG5 from RTÉ in the future?

As I said, I do not normally use the teletext function, and am quite happy with the TV as is, but would be interested in knowing if MHEG5 will function in the future ..... as there will possibly be future services I would have an interest in.

Any updated info gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Hi guys, I couldnt find much on teh net about my TV....I won it off 2fm radio about 2.5 years ago. The model is the LG 50PQ3000. In the menu it states it is freeview ready for England. Anyone know what I have to do to get a saorview up and running?

Is Saorview purely 4 Irish channels? We dont have tv at the moment and dont wanna get a package as we dont loo at it that much.

Many thanks,
    Brian.

I couldnt find much on teh net about my TV....I won it off 2fm radio about 2.5 years ago. The model is the LG 50PQ3000. In the menu it states it is freeview ready for England. Anyone know what I have to do to get a saorview up and running?

Did a quick google search on that model of TV and it appears to have the correct MPEG-4 video decoder for the Saorview channels. To check you will have to attach an aerial and do a DTT/digital terrestrial/aerial/antenna scan/tune.

Check for Saorview coverage in your area here - http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/
    Information on aerials here - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Saorview-DTT-October2010.pdf
    Saorview FAQ - http://www.rtenl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/RTÉNL-SAORVIEW-FAQs-May-2012-Rev-7.1.pdf
    Is Saorview purely 4 Irish channels? We dont have tv at the moment and dont wanna get a package as we dont loo at it that much.

Saorview is the direct replacement for the 4 channel terrestrial analogue TV service, via an aerial, which switches off on Oct 24th. It carries the 4 existing channels and a few more, see here - http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Hi guys, I couldnt find much on teh net about my TV.... The model is the LG 50PQ3000. In the menu it states it is freeview ready for England. Anyone know what I have to do to get a saorview up and running?

MPEG4 HD capability only listed as part of 'just scan' mode, can't find any tuner specs. You'll probably need a box, but worth a try with an aerial beforehand.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    MPEG4 HD capability only listed as part of 'just scan' mode, can't find any tuner specs. You'll probably need a box, but worth a try with an aerial beforehand.

On various French (TNT-HD) and Polish links it is listed as being MPEG-4 capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ryange

Hi, just wondering if this TV LG 42PQ6000 is compatible. Spec says DVB-T tuner. thanks

ryange wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if this TV LG 42PQ6000 is compatible. Spec says DVB-T tuner. thanks

It's from the same range as the above LG 50PQ3000 so it may be compatible but can't confirm 100%.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-42PQ6000#

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Can anyone tell me if this Bush tv in Argos would work with Saorview? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5299263/Trail/searchtext%3EBUSH+3D.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

CashMoney wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this Bush tv in Argos would work with Saorview? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5299263/Trail/searchtext%3EBUSH+3D.htm

There is nothing on that description to indicate Saorview compatibility. No Freeview HD or MPEG4 mentioned. It appears to be a standard UK model and someone needs to ask Argos why they are selling it in Ireland. It claims to receive DAB. I'd bet my bottom euro that it doesn't. Argos should have the book thrown at them for misrepresentation.

As for you, you need to spend a little more and go to a proper dealer and get an Irish spec TV.
    If you spend too much you lose a few euros. If you spend too little you can lose a lot and have to start again.

Edit. That TV is also on the Argos UK site and I have now submitted a question re DAB compatibility asking them to be very careful how they answer and pointing out DAB is not the same as DVB-T radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Just bought a indoor tv digital aerieal today in power city for 22 euro. it works with my LG 50PQ3000. no saorview box needed. basic rte channels etc. any chance of further channels being added to saorview??like bbc or anything else in the future?

Advertisement