Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

winston_1 wrote: »
    Panasonic are well known for hobbling their sets to only work properly in one country, in this case the UK.
    Does it, for instance, put the Saorview channels on their correct LCN's or in the 800's? Will it decode EBU teletext on the Saorview channels that need it?
    I would avoid Panachronic, there are plenty of other good brands out there, and Saorview approved as well.
    What's the EBU text? Is they're anything else to watch for?

Panasonic LEDs have great Spec on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

EBU text is the standard text you get on RTE 1. Mheg 5, on the other hand, enables you to look at a fancy version of the same content. Mheg 5 also handles red button services on Saorview, though thats currently not even on the horizon.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

EBU text is the standard text you get on RTE 1. Mheg 5, on the other hand, enables you to look at a fancy version of the same content. Mheg 5 also handles red button services on Saorview, though thats currently not even on the horizon.:rolleyes:
    So their's no real addition having EBU really?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What's the EBU text? Is they're anything else to watch for?

EBU teletext is the regular teletext you're familiar with from the analogue channels also carried on Saorview channels RTÉ1, TV3, TG4 and 3e. RTÉ2 and RTÉ News Now carry MHEG-5 digital text only. RTÉ1 on Saorview carries both but digital text take priority if present.

RTÉ plan to switch off the old teletext around the end of 2012, TV3 or TG4 haven't announced their plans.

The newer Panasonic models should be pretty much compatible with the Saorview channels and services eventhough not Saorview approved, as I said before check them out before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I have a friend who is just after getting a new Samsung TV, model ue32d4003bw. After Googling, it has a Freeview Tuner, it's HD Ready with a Digital Tuner, Built-in DTV-tuner, DTV Reception DVB-T / C , but no mention of Saorview, MPEG-4 or MHEG5. Will this work with Saorview?

Assuming it isn't fully Saorview compatible, at this point in time is it still legal for shops in the Republic to still sell non-Saorview TVs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I have a 2010 model panasonic plasma....tx-p42v20B

Can anyone pls tell me if it is saorview enabled....I have spent ages googling but can't find out.

Tks.

gebbel wrote: »
    I have a 2010 model panasonic plasma....tx-p42v20B

Can anyone pls tell me if it is saorview enabled....I have spent ages googling but can't find out.

According to the manual it has a DVB-T2 tuner, MPEG-4 video is part of that standard.

Saorview uses MPEG-4 also, so the TV should display the Irish digital channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

mdfire wrote: »

It's Saorview approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s210272h

Hello everyone,
    New member so i have a question that might be silly. I was looking at a UMC 22" widescreen LED TV with freeview in the north. Will it tune in the saprview channells as i cant see mpeg4 or 5 mentioned on the box anywhere?. It just makes a big splash about "freeview"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Almost certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

s210272h wrote: »
    It just makes a big splash about "freeview"

Freeview is the UK equivalent of our Saorview. I looked at what I presume is a link to the same TV, and as there is no mention of MPEG-4 it's not compatible with Saorview.

http://webstore.luzernsolutions.com/products/umc-m2220-umc-19-tv-lcd-freeview-with-built-in-dvd-player-and-ipod-dock.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Anyone know if this tv is compatible, I can't find a manual online

http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LK450U.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Anyone know if this tv is compatible, I can't find a manual online

http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LK450U.jsp

Yes, check the list here.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

The following is the blurb from my Samsung B550 TV, which is not listed on the Saorview site (Only D series are compatible), but, could anyone please give me an idea what it does mean? Is it just that it can deal with the signal from a suitable set-top box, or what?

Thank you.

Functionalities related to Digital TV(DVB) are only available in countries/areas where DVB-T (MPEG2 and MPEG4 AVC) digital terrestrial signals are broadcasted or where you are able to access to a compatible DVB-C(MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC) cable- TV service. Please check with your local dealer the possibility to receive DVB-T or DVB-C signal.
    ■ DVB-T is the DVB European consortium standard for the broadcast transmission of digital terrestrial television and DVBC is that for the broadcast transmission of digital TV over cable. However, some differentiated features like EPG (Electric Programme Guide), VOD (Video on Demand) and so on, are not included in this specification. So, they cannot be workable at this moment.
    ■ Although this TV set meets the latest DVB-T and DVB-C standards, as of [August, 2008], the compatibility with future DVB-T digital terrestrial and DVB-C digital cable broadcasts cannot be guaranteed.
    ■ Depending on the countries/areas where this TV set is used some cable-TV providers may charge an additional fee for such a service and you may be required to agree to terms and conditions of their business.
    ■ Some Digital TV functions might be unavailable in some countries or regions and DVB-C might not work correctly with some cable service providers.

DamoRed wrote: »
    The following is the blurb from my Samsung B550 TV, which is not listed on the Saorview site (Only D series are compatible), but, could anyone please give me an idea what it does mean? Is it just that it can deal with the signal from a suitable set-top box, or what?

Basically the tv is DVB-T/MPEG-4 AVC compliant i.e. the Irish DTT standard and so with the correct aerial and Saorview coverage you should receive the DTT channels OK but as the TV is not Saorview approved some functionality cannot be guaranteed. STB will not be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Thanks, Cush. It never crossed my mind that it would just need an aerial. I'll try an inside aerial first and see if that's good enough. If not, then an external.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

3 questions -

1. With a saorview set top box, will i be able to tune in the channels separately? i.e is it video friendly can i watch one channel and record another at the same time?

2. With a TV with a built in saorview tuner can i tune in the channels seperately?

3. With a TV with a built in saorview tuner will i still need an aerial?

thanks in advance

fryup wrote: »
    3 questions -

1. With a saorview set top box, will i be able to tune in the channels separately? i.e is it video friendly can i watch one channel and record another at the same time?

2. With a TV with a built in saorview tuner can i tune in the channels seperately?

1. No, two STBs or Saorview STB with Saorview TV would be required with a standalone recorder. A twin tuner PVR would allow you to record one/watch one or record two.

2. No, all channels are carried on a single multiplex/frequency so all are installed automatically.

3. Yes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

3 questions -

thanks in advance

As there is intended to be more than one mux, no single tuner can receive all channles at once, so a second tuner is required to be able to watch one and record a second programme. One tuner could be built into a iDTV, and a second one into a recorder. This is how it was with the old VCR setup.

The STB is only a way of updating the internal tuner with an external one.

Since Saorview is a terestial service, it must be received by an aerial (as opposed to a cable feed or a satellite dish). The aerial can be quite small if the signal is strong, but typically an external one would be best. All current plans are to be on UHF, as TG4 and TV3 analogue broadcasts are currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Cush wrote: »
    1. No, two STBs or Saorview STB with Saorview TV would be required with a standalone recorder. A twin tuner PVR would allow you to record one/watch one or record two.

what one would be best to purchase?

and can i get one with a built in hard drive?

what one would be best to purchase?

and can i get one with a built in hard drive?

A PVR has a HDD by default.

There is no Saorview approved ones yet but Mary Curtis, RTÉ's Director of DSO, said when I asked her about a PVR for Saorview at the Ploughing Championships in Sept, there would be at least one on the shelves by Christmas. That's less than 2 months away so we live in hope.

Digifriendly posted this about the Sony SVR-HDT500 PVR which appears to work OK with Saorview - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75261444#post75261444.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

The Samsung LE32D450 is listed on the Saorview compatible list on their website.
    What about the LE32D450ZF? I'd assume it would!

staker wrote: »
    The Samsung LE32D450 is listed on the Saorview compatible list on their website.

Yes it should be exactly the same with respect to Saorview.

staker wrote: »

You cannot assume anything. The ZF must mean something.

For a start it's a European grey import. The fact that it needs a plug adapter gives this away.
    Europe does not use MHEG, perhaps this model doesn't support it.
    Does Ireland appear in the menus list of country codes? If not it will almost certainly put the channels in the 800's and the clock will be stuck on GMT throughout the summer.

winston_1 wrote: »
    You cannot assume anything. The ZF must mean something.

For a start it's a European grey import. The fact that it needs a plug adapter gives this away.
    Europe does not use MHEG, perhaps this model doesn't support it.
    Does Ireland appear in the menus list of country codes? If not it will almost certainly put the channels in the 800's and the clock will be stuck on GMT throughout the summer.

The model number is certified. Extra letters/numbers can signify order codes for specific retailers, different colours, different accessories etc. The way the TV deals with Saorview will be exactly the same.

sesswhat wrote: »
    The model number is certified. Extra letters/numbers can signify order codes for specific retailers, different colours, different accessories etc. The way the TV deals with Saorview will be exactly the same.

Maybe you are right in this case.
    But that logic certainly does not apply to Panasonic, Sony and many other brands.

I came across this post on AV forums..
    How to decipher the model?
    How to decipher the model?
    Model: LE40C652L2WXXXH
    L - means LCD
    * U - Led Backlight
    E - continental destination
    * E - Europa
    * A - Asia & Africa, Australia
    * N - North America, Korea, South America
    * S - Iran
    * F -
    40 - size in inches
    C - Year of Release Model
    * C - 2010
    * B - 2009
    * A - 2008
    6 - Series
    * 3 - base series
    * 4 - budget Series
    * 5 - budget Series
    * 6 - average series
    * 7 - top series
    * 8 - Premier Series
    * 9 - flagship series
    5 - downseries-determined features such care under 5 have a low chassis but with a series of withdrawals Corps
    * 2 -
    * 3 -
    * 4 -
    * 5 -
    * 6 -
    * 7 -
    * 8 -
    2 - set design and color of the hull, each set is different
    * 0 - Platinum Black
    * 1 - Rose Black
    * 2 - Platinum Black
    * 3 - Rose Black
    * 4 - Black
    * 5 -
    * 6 -
    * 7 -
    * 8 - Black
    * 9 - Platinum Black
    L - the first letter of the project / chassis /
    * L - / LE32C652L2WXZG /
    * M - / LE32C678M1SXZG /
    * A - / LE40B550A5WXZG /
    2 - variation of design (color, body size, etc.) and channels of distribution. Often directly linked to downseries.
    * 1 -
    * 2 -
    * 3 -
    * 5 -
    * 6 -
    * 7 -
    WX - responsible for the tuner / by region
    * WX - DVB-T / C (MPEG4/AVC) England
    * WP - DVB-T / C (MPEG4/AVC)
    * WW - DVB-T / C (MPEG4)
    * SW - DVB-T / C
    * RW - DVB-T / C (MPEG4/HD)
    * UW - DVB-T / C
    * QF -
    * PW - DVB-T / C (MPEG4/HD)
    * QW - DVB-T / C (MPEG4/HD)
    * VW - DVB-T / C (MPEG4)
    * XP - DVB-T / C (MPEG4)
    * XS - DVB-T/C/S
    * US - DVB-T/C/S2 (MPEG4/HD)
    * WS - DVB-T/C/S2 (MPEG4/HD)
    * WF - for Korea
    X - chassi ? a sign of a finished product (S-SKD and C-CKD)
    XH -area code (now two-letter)
    * XH - Eastern Europe
    * BT - Baltic
    * RU - Russia
    * XC - Western Europe
    * XU - England
    * UA - Ukraine
    * CS - Kazakhstan
    * XE - Northern Europe
    * XN - Benelux
    * ZF - France
    * ZG - Germany, Austria and Switzerland / LE32C652L2WXZG /
    * ZN - Arab Countries
    * ZA - USA
    * XY - Australia
    * XT - India, Thailand

According to that, ZF is the area code for France (which I suppose you would expect from Pixmania). The initial setup menu may be in French, but you could change this straight away. The power cable would also be intended for France, but with the relevant adapter thrown in.

Interesting.
    So I wonder what the difference would be between an XC, XE, XN, ZF, or ZG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Interesting linky there sesswhat.
    I'll post up what the start-up process on it when it goes through..
    Thanks again.

Advertisement