Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

any chance of further channels being added to saorview??like bbc or anything else in the future?

No plans for any UK terrestrial channels, regarding other channels suggest you read this thread for the most up to date information - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056195645 and http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/27/00273.asp#N2

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Triax TSC114 - what about this combo box? Anyone have any idea, I came across it on the interweb. It claims to be all the british stations too. My tv works with just an aeriel but if one had to buy a box, why would you buy a saorview only box if you could get this? Anyone?

Cheers.
    B

http://www.tvtrade.ie/saorview-combo.html

Triax TSC114 - what about this combo box? Anyone have any idea, I came across it on the interweb. It claims to be all the british stations too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056557642

Satellite dish and aerial required.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

winston_1 wrote: »
    There is nothing on that description to indicate Saorview compatibility. No Freeview HD or MPEG4 mentioned. It appears to be a standard UK model and someone needs to ask Argos why they are selling it in Ireland. It claims to receive DAB. I'd bet my bottom euro that it doesn't. Argos should have the book thrown at them for misrepresentation.

As for you, you need to spend a little more and go to a proper dealer and get an Irish spec TV.
    If you spend too much you lose a few euros. If you spend too little you can lose a lot and have to start again.

Edit. That TV is also on the Argos UK site and I have now submitted a question re DAB compatibility asking them to be very careful how they answer and pointing out DAB is not the same as DVB-T radio.

Thanks, I hear ya. I'm thinking of getting this Saorview approved one instead...

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40ES550&pages=1&prod=40ES550&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

I'll lose the 3d but gain the Smart TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that looks like it'd pick up freeview too if your close enough for it

• Advertisement

Hey guys, i got a problem. I just bought the indoor aerial for my LG tv I mentioned a few posts ago....it worked perfect for first few days. But then the heavy rain came a few days ago and ever since I cant get any signal or maybe just intermittent flickers of channels. Right now it is sunny and the aerieal is in the same position where i previously got a good reception. Its frustrating....the Euros are only days away!Any idea why?

The only thing I can think of is that i reset the tv to defaults when the rain came and i first lost the signal. But ive since auto tuned several times...it finds the stations but states that the signal strength is rubbish. I live near ravenswell in Bray....is that near a transmitter??

Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

As has been stated so many times the TV network is designed for outdoor aerials 10 metres high. Yet you try a crummy indoor aerial and wonder why it does not always work.

You spent a lot of money on your TV. Don't spoil it for the sake of 22 euros.

I won it for free actually. I live in an apartment block-I will have to see if they are fussy about aerials. Cant understand how I got a perfect reception last week with the same setup.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

aaaaaaarrrghghghg I had the aerial unplugged!!!!1 mama noooooooo. big lol.
    big. lol.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm looking at 3 TV's on argos.ie. Two say "Freeview", and one says "Saorview", so I'm just wondering is it only the one that actually says Saorview that will pick up Saorview?

Toshiba 22DL504B

Bush 22 Inch Full HD1080p Saorview Back-Lit LED TV

Bush 22 Inch Full HD 1080p Freeview LED TV DVD Combi

I've no idea how to tell the difference between what tuners they have...

EDIT: Ok, an older thread says the Toshiba is MPEG2 only... which from reading I gather isn't Saorview. Dang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Help required, have a friend looking at this TV in Argos

Sony Bravia EX310BU for €220.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&productId=319502

according to

http://www.saorview.ie/product/sony/

the EX310 is Saorview approved, however the BU bit at the end of the model name does that change anything ?

main reason for the question is Argos say freeview, would have thought if its Saorview they would be advertising it as such.

Have looked through the posts and could not see this set mentioned already.

Would anyone know if it is Saorview ?, can't find tech specs on sony.ie

EDIT:

Found tech specs, had a Homer Simpson moment.

According to

http://www.sony.ie/product/tv-55-22-lcd/kdl-22ex310#/Overview

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4288091112.pdf

page 2 and 40

Any functions related to Digital TV
    ( ) will only work in countries or
    areas where DVB-T (MPEG-2 and
    H.264/MPEG-4 AVC) digital terrestrial
    signals are broadcast or where you have
    access to a compatible DVB-C (MPEG-
    2 and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC) cable
    service

Help required, have a friend looking at this TV in Argos

Sony Bravia EX310BU for €220.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&productId=319502

according to

http://www.saorview.ie/product/sony/

the EX310 is Saorview approved, however the BU bit at the end of the model name does that change anything ?

main reason for the question is Argos say freeview, would have thought if its Saorview they would be advertising it as such.

Have looked through the posts and could not see this set mentioned already.

Would anyone know if it is Saorview ?, can't find tech specs on sony.ie

EDIT:

Found tech specs, had a Homer Simpson moment.

According to

http://www.sony.ie/product/tv-55-22-lcd/kdl-22ex310#/Overview

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4288091112.pdf

page 2 and 40

Any functions related to Digital TV
    ( ) will only work in countries or
    areas where DVB-T (MPEG-2 and
    H.264/MPEG-4 AVC) digital terrestrial
    signals are broadcast or where you have
    access to a compatible DVB-C (MPEG-
    2 and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC) cable
    service

The letters at the end usually refer to the country or region it is designed for.

That manual you linked to is clearly for the UK. Whether it will work properly on Saorview is debateable. If it was approved I would expect Argos to say so.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I'm looking at 3 TV's on argos.ie. Two say "Freeview", and one says "Saorview", so I'm just wondering is it only the one that actually says Saorview that will pick up Saorview?

Toshiba 22DL504B

Bush 22 Inch Full HD1080p Saorview Back-Lit LED TV

Bush 22 Inch Full HD 1080p Freeview LED TV DVD Combi

I've no idea how to tell the difference between what tuners they have...

EDIT: Ok, an older thread says the Toshiba is MPEG2 only... which from reading I gather isn't Saorview. Dang.

For a start it is nothing to do with the tuners. It's the decoders that make a difference.

If Argos don't say Saorview and they are not on the Saorview approved list don't bother. Even if Argos do say Saorview I would take it with an enourmous pinch of salt. After all they claim those two Bush sets have DAB built into them. Argos are either deliberatly lying or are hopelessly mis-informed as they don't have DAB.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

For a start it is nothing to do with the tuners. It's the decoders that make a difference.

If Argos don't say Saorview and they are not on the Saorview approved list don't bother. Even if Argos do say Saorview I would take it with an enourmous pinch of salt. After all they claim those two Bush sets have DAB built into them. Argos are either deliberatly lying or are hopelessly mis-informed as they don't have DAB.

Meant to get back to this. I bought the Bush DVD Combi one I linked and it works fine with Saorview. I just assumed that both Bush sets would have the same decoder since they seemed to be basically the same set except one had a DVD player... probably a risk doing that, but it paid off. :)

Meant to get back to this. I bought the Bush DVD Combi one I linked and it works fine with Saorview. I just assumed that both Bush sets would have the same decoder since they seemed to be basically the same set except one had a DVD player... probably a risk doing that, but it paid off. :)

And, does it receive DAB as Argos claim?
    Even if you are not in a DAB reception area there should be a DAB tuning menu.

And, does it receive DAB as Argos claim?
    Even if you are not in a DAB reception area there should be a DAB tuning menu.

Not that I can see anyway. It receives the RTE Radio stations, but I'm assuming they come with Saorview.

Just had a quick look through the menus there, no mention of DAB whatsoever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Pointless having a DAB tuner in a Saorview TV considering all the stations are on Saorview and it would require an additional antenna for duplicated services.

EDIT: Perhaps the DAB tuner is disabled in the Ireland country option, it might be available in the UK country option?

Or perhaps it's a typo.

marno21 wrote: »
    Pointless having a DAB tuner in a Saorview TV considering all the stations are on Saorview and it would require an additional antenna for duplicated services.

EDIT: Perhaps the DAB tuner is disabled in the Ireland country option, it might be available in the UK country option?

Or perhaps it's a typo.

I'll take a look later on, will reinstall it and set it to UK and see how we go. :) But if it had a DAB tuner surely it wouldn't be pointless? It was my understanding that the attraction of getting a DAB radio was 1000's of stations, not just RTE's extra stuff?

EDIT: I just tried, changing it and (as I expected) it didn't change anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Argos aren't the only retailers who confuse ( knowingly or otherwise) DAB and digital radio via SaorView. I have heard it in several countrywide retail chains who should know better.

Or perhaps it's a typo.

Whether it is pointless or not is immaterial. They have stated that it does so therefore it has to as products must be as described. Disabling it with Irish country option is not allowed either as it is in an Irish catalogue.

Some time ago I had a question and answer session with Argos UK about another Bush set they claimed had DAB. It went like this:

ME. Does this TV really support DAB?

THEM. Hello, thank you for your question.

Having spoken to Argos technical helpline regarding your query, I can confirm the Bush 42 Inch 3D Full HD Freeview LCD TV with 3D Glasses does have radio channels, from the Freeview tuner.

Thank you for using Argos Q&A.

ME. I asked "Does this TV really support DAB ?"
    #
    You replied "I can confirm the Bush 42 Inch 3D Full HD Freeview LCD TV with 3D Glasses does have radio channels, from the Freeview tuner."

That is not DAB . It is DVB-T radio.
    I ask again "Does this TV really support DAB as you claim?"

The next reply took a week so I assume they researched it.

THEM. Thank you for your question.

After looking into your query, I can confirm that the Bush 42 Inch 3D Full HD Freeview LCD TV with 3D Glasses does support DAB radio.

Thank you for using Argos Q&A.

So there we have it. Bare faced lies from the horses mouth, definately not a typo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'll take a look later on, will reinstall it and set it to UK and see how we go. :) But if it had a DAB tuner surely it wouldn't be pointless? It was my understanding that the attraction of getting a DAB radio was 1000's of stations, not just RTE's extra stuff?

EDIT: I just tried, changing it and (as I expected) it didn't change anything. :)

DAB radios in the UK pick up extra stations depending on area, but in Ireland, the only channels on the DAB multiplex are the RTE ones (apart from the South East test multiplex).

In your neck of the woods, there's no DAB regardless.
    Argos aren't the only retailers who confuse ( knowingly or otherwise) DAB and digital radio via SaorView. I have heard it in several countrywide retail chains who should know better.

I've seen retailers selling "Saorview" compatible TVs with just MPEG2 tuners. Confusing DAB with radio over DVB-T isn't that bad, seeing as the average user wouldn't notice considering the DAB and Saroview radio lineups are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've seen retailers selling "Saorview" compatible TVs with just MPEG2 tuners. Confusing DAB with radio over DVB-T isn't that bad, seeing as the average user wouldn't notice considering the DAB and Saroview radio lineups are identical.

What if you are in range of UK DAB and find you've been sold a pup.

@Winston_1
    I had a very similar experience with a Argos over a Satnav that didn't do half the things they claimed.

Rubbish. Part of a retailers job is to know about the products he is selling and to be able to advise his customers correctly. That's why the customer pays the large markups over the trade price.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Hi, i bought LG42LW650T tely and could not pick up Saorview at all. It is from one of major chain retailers and i even did not considered it would be not so much use. I'm in Co Cork and my other TV gets Saorview channels with 10cm aerial attached to the back of TV.

On the box of TV it is written Freeview but same no luck, again i have a pleasure of plenty channels with older TV but not the new one.

I'm wondering should i just return TV to the shop before my 14 days period runs out ?
    Many thanks for thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I recently picked up an LG 42LG2000 second hand and while it has a digital tuner and can receive the Saorview channels, they're coming in with audio only meaning it only has an MPEG2 tuner (right?)

There is a CAM slot on the side though. Can anyone recommend a compatible one that won't break the bank and where to buy?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

rai555 wrote: »
    Hi, i bought LG42LW650T tely and could not pick up Saorview at all. It is from one of major chain retailers and i even did not considered it would be not so much use. I'm in Co Cork and my other TV gets Saorview channels with 10cm aerial attached to the back of TV.

On the box of TV it is written Freeview but same no luck, again i have a pleasure of plenty channels with older TV but not the new one.

I'm wondering should i just return TV to the shop before my 14 days period runs out ?
    Many thanks for thoughts

If you want Saorview then I'd say yes. Freeview isn't enough as I understand it. It has to have Freeview HD/MPEG 4 to work and MHEG 5 support for digital teletext (if you're bothered about having that)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Many thanks for thoughts

IMO .... Yes, return it, as unfit for the purpose. Demand a Saorview approved replacement.

Had a quick look at the spec and I think it has an MPEG-4 video decoder.

What aerial are you using with this TV? If you're using an indoor aerial move the TV to the same location as the other TV and try setting it up there, maybe you have little or no signal where you're setting up the TV.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    There is a CAM slot on the side though. Can anyone recommend a compatible one that won't break the bank and where to buy?

A compatible TV or CAM? If CAM there isn't one, STB required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Hi, i bought LG42LW650T tely and could not pick up Saorview at all.

The 42LW650T-ZC is on the Saorview approved list.

"T" suffix on LG models generally signifies the presence of a Freeview HD tuner, so any tv so designated should at least decode the Saorview channels.

Undoubtedly, for peace of mind you're better off with Saorview approved.

Advertisement