Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Achilles wrote: »
    St. Bridget's cross?

Formally of RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Elmo wrote: »
    Formally of RTÉ

Not another one for the logo police :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 crocked77

Hi,
    does anyone know if the Panasonic TX-L19D28EP tv would work with Saorview? It's a european model but I can get it half price today and was thinking of picking it up for my parents if it would work and would bring it back next time I'm home.

It has dvb-t but I don't know if the normal analogue will work as I recall something in the past that uk tvs wouldn't work (VHF vs UHF??)

Cheers,
    Crocked

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

One would imagine that that's for an Aldi-sold product (Tevion) and they just did everything else they made also.

crocked77 wrote: »
    Hi,
    does anyone know if the Panasonic TX-L19D28EP tv would work with Saorview? It's a european model but I can get it half price today and was thinking of picking it up for my parents if it would work and would bring it back next time I'm home.

It has dvb-t but I don't know if the normal analogue will work as I recall something in the past that uk tvs wouldn't work (VHF vs UHF??)

Cheers,
    Crocked

It has MPEG 4. I think all analogue tuners need to have both VHF and UHF installed under EU law, no???? No Panasonic iDTVs have been approved, according to the saorview site.

Someone confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    It has MPEG 4. I think all analogue tuners need to have both VHF and UHF installed under EU law, no???? No Panasonic iDTVs have been approved, according to the saorview site.

Someone confirm this.

Haven't come across a regulation that requires a TV to both VHF and UHF analogue tuners. But the Saorview spec requires both UHF and VHF tuning.

Maybe Panasonic are going the self certification route in relation to Saorview?

The Cush wrote: »
    Haven't come across a regulation that requires a TV to both VHF and UHF analogue tuners.

Could have been in the US, due to the high number of analogue signals on both VHF (The Big Three) and UHF (Local, Independents, Community and PBS). Old TVs had just VHF and were not compatible with UHF so a regulation was brought in to prevent UHF only TVs. I thought it was Europe though. Before Digital with the emergence of UHF.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Anyone tell me what 32/37" models support saorview + freesat. I know some of the panasonics will work with workarounds - looking for approved option for parents.

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

i have a panasonic TX26LMD70 TV digital radio but analog Tv does this mean set Top Box for me....??????????

Bruffkid wrote: »
    i have a panasonic TX26LMD70 TV digital radio but analog Tv does this mean set Top Box for me....??????????

Radio and no Saorview digital TV channels would indicate a non compatible TV, STB will be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭michaelheno

does anyone have the LG450u 32 inch and is it saorview ready

does anyone have the LG450u 32 inch and is it saorview ready

It may be a fully approved Saorview TV but without the full model no. hard to tell.

See the full list of Saorview approved LG TVs here - http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/lg/

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Hi I have tried searching the thread but can't find the exact model. Also tried to find tech specs online to no avail (including the manufacturers website) so please help if you can.

I have a Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU

Can anyone confirm wether or not this is saorview compliant?

Thanks!

I have a Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU

Can anyone confirm wether or not this is saorview compliant?

Based on the manual it seems to be a model for the UK market with reference to MHEG-5 for example, now discontinued.

But found this in the manual
    Digital TV (DVB-T) Notice

1. FUNCTIONALITIES RELATED TO DIGITAL TV (DVB) ARE ONLY AVAILABLE IN COUNTRIES OR AREAS WHERE DVBT (MPEG2 AND MPEG4 AVC) DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL SIGNALS ARE BROADCAST. DVB-T is the European consortium standard for the broadcast transmission of digital terrestrial television. Please check with your local dealer about the availability of DVB-T service in your area.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200903/20090326222441796/BN68-01900J-00Eng-0220.pdf

MPEG-4 AVC is the Irish DTT video encoding standard and so should receive the Saorview channels. This thread in a Polish forum refers to MPEG-4 (HD) in the spec also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tireeg1

Will the new Playstation 3DTV be Saorview Apporoved? I see it for sale in the new Smyths catolog. But I don't think they'll know inside if I ask. I was hoping to get it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Based on the manual it seems to be a model for the UK market with reference to MHEG-5 for example, now discontinued.

But found this in the manual

MPEG-4 AVC is the Irish DTT video encoding standard and so should receive the Saorview channels. This thread in a Polish forum refers to MPEG-4 (HD) in the spec also.

Great! Thanks for your help. Strange I couldn't find the model when I went through the website. Will fork out for rabbit ears I guess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I saw a TV today that could pick up saorview without any cable or anything being fed into it.
    My guess is that there is some sort of transmitter aerial inside the tv.
    I didn't know this was possible?
    Is there a specific spec that someone needs to look out for if they want to buy a tv with this feature?

Pangea wrote: »
    I saw a TV today that could pick up saorview without any cable or anything being fed into it.
    My guess is that there is some sort of transmitter aerial inside the tv.
    I didn't know this was possible?
    Is there a specific spec that someone needs to look out for if they want to buy a tv with this feature?

Make & model? Where did you see it?

Wouldn't be much good in an average signal strength area that would require an external aerial.

Some old portable analogue TVs had a set of attached rabbit ears which could be unplugged to attach an external aerial co-ax, would it be something similar?.

Make & model? Where did you see it?

Wouldn't be much good in an average signal strength area that would require an external aerial.

Some old portable analogue TVs had a set of attached rabbit ears which could be unplugged to attach an external aerial co-ax, would it be something similar?.

I seen it in a friends house. Im not sure about the co ax etc. But he said he didnt need an aerial or anything for it.
    Im nearly certain this is the tv.

http://www.sony.ie/product/tv-80-32-lcd/kdl-32cx520?source=rss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Looking at the specs supplied in the link (a Sony KDL-32CX520) it has an RF input so an aerial is needed to send a signal to the TV's tuner.

Its also able to connect to the internet via a wireless dongle. Perhaps its this you saw on the TV when you were at your friends house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Looking at the specs supplied in the link (a Sony KDL-32CX520) it has an RF input so an aerial is needed to send a signal to the TV's tuner.

Its also able to connect to the internet via a wireless dongle. Perhaps its this you saw on the TV when you were at your friends house?

It actually doesn't need a dongle - it has wifi built in. Has apps for Skype, Facebook and an internet browser too and can access online catchup services from Tv3, Sky News, Eurosport etc.

It does, however, need a connection to an antenna or stb to receive "regular" tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

evilivor wrote: »
    It actually doesn't need a dongle - it has wifi built in. Has apps for Skype, Facebook and an internet browser too and can access online catchup services from Tv3, Sky News, Eurosport etc.

It does, however, need a connection to an antenna or stb to receive "regular" tv.

Think it does need one. This from the features section:
    Ready for wireless connection to the Internet - Wireless LAN-Ready so you can add a UWA-BR100 USB Wi-Fi® adaptor from Sony and connect to your Internet router without cables

Hi, He had an aerial plugged into it that was used to get the english analogue channels, but he plugged it out and showed me that he can get the irish saorview without the aerial feed.
    It has me perplexed! It was picking up saorview without any feed coming into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I was looking to buy a Panasonic TV (40-42) but I don't see any Saorview approved ones, I have found a few good ones with the DVB-T Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners.

My question is, once a TV has Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners, will they be fine or is there something I need to look out for?

I don't know if I need to start a new thread.....

I was looking to buy a Panasonic TV (40-42) but I don't see any Saorview approved ones,

There isn't any Saorview approved Panasonics yet - http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/
    I have found a few good ones with the DVB-T Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners.

My question is, once a TV has Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners, will they be fine

Yes, it'll be OK but be sure to check it out in store before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Think it does need one. This from the features section:

Apologies - I presumed it was one of the newer models that has wifi built in - got one recently enough and works really well wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭peking97

I was looking to buy a Panasonic TV (40-42) but I don't see any Saorview approved ones, I have found a few good ones with the DVB-T Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners.

My question is, once a TV has Mpeg4/Mheg5 tuners, will they be fine or is there something I need to look out for?

I don't know if I need to start a new thread.....

I can confirm that the GT30B series work fine. Just took delivery of the TX-P46GT30B today (Friday) and all good including Freesat and Saorview plus MHEG5 text. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

There isn't any Saorview approved Panasonics yet - http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/

Yes, it'll be OK but be sure to check it out in store before you buy.
    peking97 wrote: »
    I can confirm that the GT30B series work fine. Just took delivery of the TX-P46GT30B today (Friday) and all good including Freesat and Saorview plus MHEG5 text. HTH
    Panasonic it is, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Panasonic are well known for hobbling their sets to only work properly in one country, in this case the UK.
    Does it, for instance, put the Saorview channels on their correct LCN's or in the 800's? Will it decode EBU teletext on the Saorview channels that need it?
    I would avoid Panachronic, there are plenty of other good brands out there, and Saorview approved as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭peking97

winston_1 wrote: »
    Panasonic are well known for hobbling their sets to only work properly in one country, in this case the UK.
    Does it, for instance, put the Saorview channels on their correct LCN's or in the 800's? Will it decode EBU teletext on the Saorview channels that need it?
    I would avoid Panachronic, there are plenty of other good brands out there, and Saorview approved as well.

Well it does put the Saorview chanels in the 800's if country is set to UK but that doesn't bother me. I'm not too concerned about EBU text either...it decodes the MHEG5 text fine. There are other brands but not many doing plasma sets, I can't stand LCD I'm afraid. HTH.

Advertisement