Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Where is this "in house cable system" fed from & do you mean "cable tv" as in DVB-C or analogue or what?

From what he has given away in his posts, I gather thats what his apartment complex has installed Ronnie.

What these Pay companies are doing is rebroadcasting mainly FTA channels on UHF via an internal cabled system (probably via a CATV modulator/headend). Its not DVB-C, its a simple RF analogue system tuned by the most basic of TVs that have a UHF tuner. Believe it or not people are paying for this "service", awful quality and shocking choice. And by choice I dont just mean channel choice. In many instances the apartment dwellers dont have a choice as it is that shocking pay service or nothing, remnants from the golden age of developers doing deals with pay companies to get a back hander and hand over the problem to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Surely they could include the Saorview signal on this system, though?

Can't see the photos of the box btw, battries. :)

Surely they could include the Saorview signal on this system, though?

Can't see the photos of the box btw, battries. :)

You mean combine the signal with the cabled retransmission system ? Or rebroadcast them as stations ? They will do neither I would think. I know how these companies work and they certainly dont want their "customers" thinking. They control the content :) And they dont want to providing alternatives. I would say they dont want the headaches either with people who have incompatible TVs etc.

I meant combining it with their own signal, yes. Was just interested by a comment someone else made a few posts back about "charging extra for Saorview" & like them was wondering what this "box" does (or is it just a wall point).

I meant combining it with their own signal, yes. Was just interested by a comment someone else made a few posts back about "charging extra for Saorview" & like them was wondering what this "box" does (or is it just a wall point).

I didnt actually see the reference to the box! I have only seen the ones with the wall point (Sky Conway).

I gather this Cablewatch crowd have been packaging broadband with the TV "Service".

All these companies are doing is picking 20 or so FTA channels and redistributing them internally, so if you are not connected to the cable then you have nothing at all. As for charging extra for Saorview.... comboys Ted comes to mind.

Just google the company name and neighbours.ie. A lot of cheesed off people out there! The Competition Authority made a ruling on these cosy monopoly agreements some time ago. The management company need to step in here and get rid, and get a decent FTA combined sat and saorview system in. That at least forms the basis for opening up the options with the cabled sat connections to Sky for those who want more than FTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

just a query is there any TV's that can do both terrestrial , and sat. at the same time.
    one that works ok

anyone any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi There,

Just wondering does anyone have experience with the Toshiba LED TVs ?

I can see from the Saorview site that the 32HL834B tv is on the approved list.

I have been looking around and have found the Toshiba 32HL834G on pixmania ..

Would this be compatible with Saorview ?

I am trying to source a White TV and this is the only one that I can find in White ...
    The missus needs it in white to match her unit, Don't ask :-)

Thanks for any assistance,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This Saorview approved 32" is a bargain at the price
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360426712499&clk_rvr_id=308300121416&item=360426712499&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508

although you might need a UK address to get it! 33 reviews in Argos too, and mostly all 5 star.

I was very tempted but I really want one with a USB record.

Out of curiosity, is it safe to assume that any TV listed in Argos.ie is definitely Saorview approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

NIMAN wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is it safe to assume that any TV listed in Argos.ie is definitely Saorview approved?

all the one's listed in the catalogue say they are anyway if that's any help to you
    the site has both freeview & saorview tv's if you look at the description, since your in donegal I know if you get a freeview HD tv it'll pick up all the freeview channels(HD & SD) + the saorview ones, i'm not sure if freeview one will though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Christ no, Argos have a history of selling foreign muck. :(

If they say "Saorview" in the description then OK but most of what they sold last year was incompatible Freeview gear.

Surely they could be pulled up for selling something that doesn't receive the main TV transmissions of the country? Fit for purpose and all that?

I see they do have a section on the left hand side entitled 'non Saorview TVs', so I assume anything else is Saorview compatible.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If they say "Saorview" in the description then OK but most of what they sold last year was incompatible Freeview gear.

will they not work if your close to the border & receive the english terrestrial channels now?

I was told in this thread that if you get the english channels now a freeviewHD tv will pick up freeviewHD, freeviewSD + the saorview channels because of the tuner - DVB-T2 - and is the better option

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

batistuta9 wrote: »
    will they not work if your close to the border & receive the english terrestrial channels now?

I was told in this thread that if you get the english channels now a freeviewHD tv will pick up freeviewHD, freeviewSD + the saorview channels because of the tuner - DVB-T2 - and is the better option

If you want to be safe, get a set that is both Saorview certified AND FreeviewHD certified . I think some Sony sets are, and maybe a few more like Samsung or LG. Their new models for 2012 are more likely to be certified for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hi There,

I am proposing a bit of constructive lobbying of Panasonic on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76745994 The purpose of this initiative is to try to get Panasonic to provide firmware updates for TVs that have the hardware to be able to receive Saorview (i.e. that have MPeg4 tuners built in). Join the discussion and help lobby Panasonic for some customer service if would like to try to get some action on the issue!!

p.s. the specific post on the thread is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76745994&postcount=53

If you want to be safe, get a set that is both Saorview certified AND FreeviewHD certified . I think some Sony sets are, and maybe a few more like Samsung or LG. Their new models for 2012 are more likely to be certified for both.

I don't think they'll say that though. if you buy a TV in the north it'll probably only state about Freeview and in the south Saorview, they'll not say about both i'd imagine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I don't think they'll say that though. if you buy a TV in the north it'll probably only state about Freeview and in the south Saorview, they'll not say about both i'd imagine

The model number will be the same for Saorview and for Freesat HD. For example, the Sony Bravia 40KDL723BU is both Saorview and FreesatHD (it is on the list of both. I'm not recommending this - or any - TV.

Just find a TV that looks about right and check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Just to clarify, I am a complete Luddite when it comes to TV's and the various station providers!

However, I just want an opinion on a TV which is coming on sale this week in Aldi. Check it out on their website. Good value at €169 approx.

When it says it is SaorView ready, can a tecky out there explain what other apparatus I will need? This is just for the kitchen....not the major one.

We are with Chorus at present.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Do all Saorview approved TV's have analouge tuners as well ?

Anyone know, looking at the specs, if this TV would work with Saorview?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270905802170&clk_rvr_id=314078281281

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

DGM ETV-3276W 32" Ultra Thin LED HDTV USB PVR 1 Year Warranty
    4 x HDMI Freeview Inbuilt USB Media Player BRAND NEW

i do not think so mate , it would be coming from England different mpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

jamescc wrote: »
    Freeview Inbuilt
    That's important part there - unless it says 'Freeview HD' it's MPEG-2 only, and won't work with Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Anyone know, looking at the specs, if this TV would work with Saorview?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270905802170&clk_rvr_id=314078281281

It's a UK set and the specs make no mention of MPEG 4 so it is virtually sure it won't be compatible.

Better to buy a set from your own country that is Saorview approved even if it does cost a little more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anyone know if the Sony KDL-32V4000 works?

It doesn't, tuner is mpeg2 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 seanmack

I am looking to buy 22" or 24" LCD Saorview TV for a bedroom.

In Argos I find a Bush 22" and A Bush 24" marked as Saorview approved.
    On the Saorview site only a Bush 22" is listed.

In Power City they have a 22" and 24" Walker advertised as Saorview approved.
    On the Saorview site only the 22" walker is mentioned.

Anybody know what the score is?

Are the Argos and Power City sites correct or is the Saorview site the 'gospel'???

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

seanmack wrote: »
    Anybody know what the score is?

Are the Argos and Power City sites correct or is the Saorview site the 'gospel'???

Note this warning on the Saorview website regarding the Argos Catalogue
    SAORVIEW IN ARGOS CATALOGUE

Please note that there are some errors in the current Argos catalogue regarding SAORVIEW Approved products.

There are a number of pages within the TV section with the heading “All these TVs are SAORVIEW Approved”. While most of the models listed are Approved, some models are not.

If you intend to buy a SAORVIEW Approved product in Argos, we recommend that you check the Approved Product Listings section of this website to ensure that the product you choose is in fact SAORVIEW Approved.

http://www.saorview.ie/news/saorview-in-argos-catalogue/

I'd go with the Saorview site as being gospel as they licence the product after it passes testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 seanmack

I'd go with the Saorview site as being gospel as they licence the product after it passes testing.

Thanks for the advice will go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Will the Walker WP3210 work? I can't find much about it online, can only find info on the WP3212 which is fine.

Edit: I see it's not as the Walkers that do Mpeg4 are listed separately on their website
    http://www.walker.ie/products/WP3210LCD.html
    http://www.walker.ie/products/WP32MP4.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Advertisement