Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Here are my results with a Samsung LE32B652T4WXXU I picked up lately.
    Saorview works well, no problem with the tuning in, and the EPG is perfect, BUT in order to get the MHEG-5 teletext working properly, the TV needs the country to be set to United Kingdom instead of Ireland.

I only discovered this because somebody mentioned it regarding another Sammy in the first post, so thanks very much to whoever posted that information, as you saved me a lot of trouble.

Setting the telly up as Ireland numbers the channels the same way as Saorview set-top box. Setting it up with UK as the country requires a bit of moving about/renumbering of the channels after scanning, as they get allocated to the 800's instead of 1,2,3 etc., but this is not too big a job and well worth it to get the text working correctly.

Hope this bit of info might be of help to someone else with this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

im in confused mode at the moment-i need some hd clarity!:eek: so help a gassoon out...
    a few questions of mine need answering and i might get repetitive:

1) a DVB/T2 tuner is THE tuner you need to get uk freeview, irish saorview, hd channels, mheg5 content etc....that gets all you need, including future proofing the tv by default...that is correct no?

2) an ordinary DVB/T tuner can sometimes get only mpeg2, standard uk freeview channels, sound but no picture on irish saorview, and not whats wanted in irish market, is that nearly correct?

3)some dvb/t tuners can get irish saorview and uk and irish hd channels, but not always...it needs to be capable of mpeg4 as a minimum, may also be capable of mheg5 depending on, for example, the country setting perhaps??

4) if a tv is on saorview compatible list then it is capable of receiving hd channels(mpeg4,mheg5) including both here and in uk? but does not necessarily have a dvb/t2 tuner??

5)how does one DVB/T tuner get HD channels and another DVB/Ttuner cant? (not talking about a DVB/T2 tuner)

6) what is difference, if any, between dvb/t/c/s tuners? what does it matter on a tv in terms of getting or not getting hd channels or mheg5 content?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

1) a DVB/T2 tuner is THE tuner you need to get uk freeview, irish saorview, hd channels, mheg5 content etc....that gets all you need, including future proofing the tv by default...that is correct no?

2) an ordinary DVB/T tuner can sometimes get only mpeg2, standard uk freeview channels, sound but no picture on irish saorview, and not whats wanted in irish market, is that nearly correct?

3)some dvb/t tuners can get irish saorview and uk and irish hd channels, but not always...it needs to be capable of mpeg4 as a minimum, may also be capable of mheg5 depending on, for example, the country setting perhaps??

4) if a tv is on saorview compatible list then it is capable of receiving hd channels(mpeg4,mheg5) including both here and in uk? but does not necessarily have a dvb/t2 tuner??

5)how does one DVB/T tuner get HD channels and another DVB/Ttuner cant? (not talking about a DVB/T2 tuner)

6) what is difference, if any, between dvb/t/c/s tuners? what does it matter on a tv in terms of getting or not getting hd channels or mheg5 content?

The terrestrial standards in Ireland and the UK are as follows
    Saorview (SD & HD) - DVB-T/MPEG-4
    Freeview (SD) - DVB-T/MPEG-2
    Freeview HD - DVB-T2/MPEG-4 (backwards compatible with DVB-T/MPEG-2 & 4)

1. Yes.

Some Saorview approved TVs have DVB-T2 tuners eventhough there are currently no plans to use the DVB –T2 standard for DTT in Ireland. FreeviewHD approved (non Saorview approved) receivers will also work but may have problems with traditional text, subtitles, epg time etc.

2. Yes.

All Saorview approved products have DVB-T tuners with MPEG-4 video decoding which will also display the MPEG-2 Freeview channels if you're within range of a UK Freeview transmitter. If purchasing a non Saorview approved product be sure to check the specs for MPEG-4 L4.0 video decoding for compatibility with the Saorview channels.

3. A DVB-T/MPEG-4 L4.0 tuner will display the Irish HD channel(s) but not the UK FreeviewHD channels, they require a receiver with DVB-T2 tuner. A receiver with a DVB-T2 tuner has an MPEG-4 video decoder by default. MHEG-5 should be available by default for both country settings in newer products.

4. No.

A Saorview approved receiver will not display the UK FreeviewHD channels by default unless it has a DVB-T2 tuner. DVB-T2 is not a mandatory part of the Saorview receiver spec although some have DVB-T2 tuners.

5. For a DVB-T tuner to display the HD channel(s) it must be capable of MPEG-4 L4.0 video decoding. L3.0 decoders were only capable of decoding SD channels, the Triax TR110 comes to mind. Saorview approved receivers have MPEG-4 L4.0 decoding by default. The UK HD channels require a DVB-T2 tuner (MPEG-4 L4.0 by default).

6. The different standards refers to the method of transmission/reception

DVB-T = digital terrestrial TV standard via aerial
    DVB-C = digital cable TV standard via a commercial cable system
    DVB-S = digital satellite TV standard via a satellite dish
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Video_Broadcasting

Saorview approved receivers are tested to the Nordig receiver standard.
    Freeview approved receivers are tested to the UK's D-Book standard.
    This is the reason that one country's approved receiver may not work 100% with the other country's DTT service i.e. teletext, subtitles, epg time, etc. In the Saorview approved list there probably are products tested/approved to both standards but I haven't checked that closely, Sony maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

The Cush wrote: »
    Some Saorview approved TVs have DVB-T2 tuners eventhough there are currently no plans to use the DVB –T2 standard for DTT in Ireland.

A Saorview approved receiver will not display the UK FreeviewHD channels by default unless it has a DVB-T2 tuner. DVB-T2 is not a mandatory part of the Saorview receiver spec although some have DVB-T2 tuners.

Hi The Cush,

Can you, or anyone here on Boards.ie actually name equipment that is Saorview certified that is equiped with a T2 tuner, or point me to a link that has this info please?

Peddyr wrote: »
    Can you, or anyone here on Boards.ie actually name equipment that is Saorview certified that is equiped with a T2 tuner, or point me to a link that has this info please?

This was discussed here previously and at the time I remember looking at the Sony range.

Just had a look at http://www.sony.ie/article/id/1237480609206 and checked the specs of a few of the TVs with model nos. end in 3 and 4 and they all appear to have DVB-T2 tuners e.g. KDL32CX523 and KDL32EX524.

The same models appear on the Sony UK site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

This was discussed here previously and at the time I remember looking at the Sony range.

Just had a look at http://www.sony.ie/article/id/1237480609206 and checked the specs of a few of the TVs with model nos. end in 3 and 4 and they all appear to have DVB-T2 tuners e.g. KDL32CX523 and KDL32EX524.

Thanks The Cush. So only TVs so far - no Saorview STBs with T2 chip sets?

Peddyr wrote: »
    Thanks The Cush. So only TVs so far - no Saorview STBs with T2 chip sets?

None that we know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Yes. Also listed here in this online Sony manual. See page 24, Specifications/System/TV System. Models with T2 tuners are shown.
    Digital: DVB-T2 (KDL-55EX723/46HX723/46EX724/46EX723/46EX524/40HX723/40EX724/
    40EX723/40EX524/40EX523/40CX523/37EX723/37EX524/32EX724/32EX723/32EX524/
    32EX523/32EX424/32CX523 only)

2. Yes.

All Saorview approved products have DVB-T tuners with MPEG-4 video decoding which will also display the MPEG-2 Freeview channels if you're within range of a UK Freeview transmitter. If purchasing a non Saorview approved product be sure to check the specs for MPEG-4 L4.0 video decoding for compatibility with the Saorview channels.

3. A DVB-T/MPEG-4 L4.0 tuner will display the Irish HD channel(s) but not the UK FreeviewHD channels, they require a receiver with DVB-T2 tuner. A receiver with a DVB-T2 tuner has an MPEG-4 video decoder by default. MHEG-5 should be available by default for both country settings in newer products.

4. No.

5. For a DVB-T tuner to display the HD channel(s) it must be capable of MPEG-4 L4.0 video decoding. L3.0 decoders were only capable of decoding SD channels, the Triax TR110 comes to mind. Saorview approved receivers have MPEG-4 L4.0 decoding by default. The UK HD channels require a DVB-T2 tuner (MPEG-4 L4.0 by default).

:)Thanks the cush! im nearly...getting there..:o

...so a new dvb-t tuner can be capable of mpeg4, and also therefore mheg5..? and that means it would pick up saorview hd, but only a dvb-t2 tuner will pick up uk freeview hd!

So what is the difference between a saorview and a freeview HD channels?
    and why...? :confused:

...so a new dvb-t tuner can be capable of mpeg4, and also therefore mheg5..? and that means it would pick up saorview hd, but only a dvb-t2 tuner will pick up uk freeview hd!

A Saorview approved receiver is both MPEG-4 and MHEG-5. A non approved MPEG-4 receiver may or may not do MHEG-5. Ireland and the UK are the only European countries to use the MHEG-5 standard for interactive services while many countries use MPEG-4 video encoding standard hence the reason to go for a Saorview approved receiver.
    So what is the difference between a saorview and a freeview HD channels?
    and why...? :confused:

The difference is the transmission standard DVB-T vs. DVB-T2. The newer DVB-T2 standard is more spectrum efficient than DVB-T and allows for more services SD or HD to be carried in the same space. See wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭mbutler2007

PANASONIC TX-L24C3B LCD TV

will this work ok? it has a
    DVB-T, DVB-T/T2 tunner . will i get uk freeview as well?

It should work OK with the Saorview channels.

Freeview reception will depend on your location i.e. are you within the coverage area of a UK freeview transmitter located in N Ireland or Wales?

ah the specs:)...interesting use of the old * !!!!:rolleyes:

Question: how does the same model tv have a dvb-t and a dvb-t2 tuner at the same time?
    Answer: check out the small print!

....the small print takes you away from that perfect world where wishes come true.;):rolleyes:

and as the cush pointed out,in previous post, the lack of actual DVB-T2 tuner means it wont ever pick up the 3 ? UK HD channels.
    besides CI+ is the new big thing is it not? wherever its applicable..

not a bad price all the same?

Question: how does the same model tv have a dvb-t and a dvb-t2 tuner at the same time?
    Answer: check out the small print!

....the small print takes you away from that perfect world where wishes come true.;):rolleyes:

The TV has both DVB-T and T2 tuners. See the specs in the manual (Jun-2011 version).

so it will pick up

uk free view
    uk free view HD
    and

Saorview

yes??

so it will pick up

uk free view
    uk free view HD
    and

Saorview

yes??

According to the specs in the manual, it should do.

thanks

The TV has both DVB-T and T2 tuners. See the specs in the manual (Jun-2011 version).

cant open that link? but yes when i search further than the op's link i do see that for restof europe its dvb-t and uk dvb-t2, whod have thunk it...

but in general... disclaimers and small print..?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Hi I asked this question in another post, and found out that the TV IS compatible with saorview, i'm just wondering if anyone has an actual working one and can confirm everything okay before i purchase.

link;

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS43D490A1WXXU-spec

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi I asked this question in another post, and found out that the TV IS compatible with saorview, i'm just wondering if anyone has an actual working one and can confirm everything okay before i purchase.

link;

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS43D490A1WXXU-spec

thanks

It will be fine, not alone is it compatible, its actually Saorview Certified.

http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/samsung/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Thanks, same as what the other boardsie had advised. just wanted to make sure, just ordered it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Just in case someone picks this up wrong. The TV will only include one tuner. Now what tuner module is what counts.

A DVB-T2 tuner is backward compatible with DVB-T. So will decode MPEG4 HD on both DVB-T and DVB-T2. It will also decode MPEG2 that the UK use for their standard definition. It is one tuner module that does all this.

It obviously doesn't work the other way around - dvb-t tuners cant do dvb-t2 as it is a different platform .

Best way to remember

DVB-T2 >>> DVB-T > MPEG4 H264 AVC > MPEG2
    (Freeview HD) >>>> (Saorview) >>>>>>>>>> (Freeview SD)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I thought they have country code and then switch off one mode
    if set to Ireland, then T2 tuner is turn off, is that not so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

There is only one tuner and it has nothing to do with DVB-T or DVB-T2. The tuner is a module that tunes the incoming signal whether it be analogue or digital.
    It is the decoder that decides PAL, Secam, NTSC , DVB-T, or DVB-T2 etc. There are probably two decoders, one for the analogue and one for the digital side.

Souriau wrote: »
    I thought they have country code and then switch off one mode
    if set to Ireland, then T2 tuner is turn off, is that not so?

A very silly thing to do if it is the case. Known as crippling, a common Panasonic trick. Didn't know others did it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

homer911 wrote: »
    MHEG5 works fine on the LF7700
    Hi Homer Do you need a Saorview STB or not with this TV. Thank You

The LF7700 is not Saorview approved. It puts the channels in the 800's, EBU teletext does not work, and the clock is stuck on GMT all year round.

If you can live with this you don't need a STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vadakin

It occurred to me tonight while searching for a small, cheap TV, that if someone came out with a 16" Saorview TV in the €99 range they'd make an absolute killing. I spent an hour looking for such a TV and the cheapest I found was around €120. A €20 difference doesn't seem like much but when you're counting every cent during these hard times, it feels like a lot. There are lots of people with portable TV's in their bedrooms, on the kitchen counter etc with just a standard RF input and rabbit ears on top who may be looking for a replacement as the switchover draws closer. A €99 Saorview TV would be well placed to take advantage.

Incidentally if someone can recommend a Freeview TV that will work with Saorview in that price range, I'd very much appreciate it. Saving myself €20 actually counts a lot.

Vadakin wrote: »
    It occurred to me tonight while searching for a small, cheap TV, that if someone came out with a 16" Saorview TV in the €99 range they'd make an absolute killing. I spent an hour looking for such a TV and the cheapest I found was around €120. A €20 difference doesn't seem like much but when you're counting every cent during these hard times, it feels like a lot. There are lots of people with portable TV's in their bedrooms, on the kitchen counter etc with just a standard RF input and rabbit ears on top who may be looking for a replacement as the switchover draws closer. A €99 Saorview TV would be well placed to take advantage.

Incidentally if someone can recommend a Freeview TV that will work with Saorview in that price range, I'd very much appreciate it. Saving myself €20 actually counts a lot.

The only killing they'd make would be themselves. You cannot sell below cost and remain in business.

If 20 euros is really that important to you perhaps you shouldn't be buying another TV at all. It isn't exactly essential is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

winston_1 wrote: »
    If 20 euros is really that important to you perhaps you shouldn't be buying another TV at all. It isn't exactly essential is it?

most ordinary people using terrestrial I can think of aren't going to bother doing anything about 2nd,3rd etc TVs until AFTER analogue disappears, they will get it before ASO only for the main TV (unless one of their other TVs breaks down and has to be replaced).

The percentage of terrestrial homes which are 100% digital right now is tiny. Whilst a sizeable number of people now have Saorview, most of them still use analogue as well on another TV in the house.

Advertisement