Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's working with Saorview - The List

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

No Freesat box can receive Saorview. The Humax is a good box though, and will allow you to watch and record satellite channels. It also does HD, and full 7-day EPG..

For Saorview, if you go for a combi box, you will lose the Freesat EPG. So you must choose.

Thanks Sam. I am confused though - I thought the Humax box was a combo box. If it's only FREESAT what is it combining it with ? Is it possible to get a SAORVIEW set-top box, a box like the Humax and run both off one remote ? Thought I saw that somewhere as a possibility...

Whatever about record capability, these boxes claim to allow viewing of both..

http://www.tvtrade.ie/satellite-receivers/combined-digital-receivers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

egpower wrote: »

They do but no satellite 7 day epg.

Another combi option here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056284276

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

egpower wrote: »
    Thanks Sam. I am confused though - I thought the Humax box was a combo box. If it's only FREESAT what is it combining it with ? Is it possible to get a SAORVIEW set-top box, a box like the Humax and run both off one remote ? Thought I saw that somewhere as a possibility...

Just to be clear, Freesat is a system that provides UK TV from a satellite with full 7 day EPG totally free to air. The same channels are available from a FTA receiver, but such a receiver is not licenced to use the EPG, and will only give 'now and next' programme information. The Freesat receivers do not have DTT capability and so are not combi boxes. Obviously, the Freesat is the better option.

As to Humax, they make the Foxsat HDR Freesat receiver/PVR which is a great bit of kit. They also make a few DTT receivers but unfortunately both types use the same remote, and further, the one remote cannot be made to control both receivers, but they can be made to co-exist (that is - not fight with each other).

Options.

1. Get a Humax Foxsat HDR and a Saorview box. Good satellite, but no, or poor, PVR for Saorview.

2. Get a combi box. One remote for both sat and DTT, but no satellite EPG.

The second option is cheaper. Saorview is not available on satellite. However, there will be a Saorview satellite service, but it is not available at present, the costs are unknown, and it is on a different satellite to the UK sations, probably requiring a seperate dish. Even this may result in an EPG difficulty.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Just to be clear, Freesat is a system that provides UK TV from a satellite with full 7 day EPG totally free to air. The same channels are available from a FTA receiver, but such a receiver is not licenced to use the EPG, and will only give 'now and next' programme information. The Freesat receivers do not have DTT capability and so are not combi boxes. Obviously, the Freesat is the better option.

As to Humax, they make the Foxsat HDR Freesat receiver/PVR which is a great bit of kit. They also make a few DTT receivers but unfortunately both types use the same remote, and further, the one remote cannot be made to control both receivers, but they can be made to co-exist (that is - not fight with each other).

Options.

1. Get a Humax Foxsat HDR and a Saorview box. Good satellite, but no, or poor, PVR for Saorview.

2. Get a combi box. One remote for both sat and DTT, but no satellite EPG.

The second option is cheaper. Saorview is not available on satellite. However, there will be a Saorview satellite service, but it is not available at present, the costs are unknown, and it is on a different satellite to the UK sations, probably requiring a seperate dish. Even this may result in an EPG difficulty.

I hope that helps.

It does - thanks Sam. So, I am kind of back where I started - looking at a combo box as my best option for the things that I value (Having 1 box and 1 remote for Irish & UK std channels with Sky + capability). The downside to that is that I don't have a sat EPG just now/next (can live without that).

So, just a few final questions:
    • If I want a single box with PVR (record) capability, would you go for some of the other boxes that take an external HDD via USB or the inbuilt storage like the Humax ? I happen to have an external storage device and it stands to reason that having external storage might be a better idea in case it crashes.
    • Also, does a PVR combo box take 2 feeds from the dish like Sky+ and so if I need to bring an aerial feed as well - is that 3 cables coming in ?
    • You know the way I lose the EPG if I go for the combo option ? With the combo, is it possible to do a manual recording for a future date (e.g. today is Thursday & I want to reconrd channel 1 at 10pm on Sunday) - can I still do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 humpty dumpty 74

Help!!

Quick question for you guys (and gals)

Trying to tune in a freeview box in the republic, am just getting 10 rte radio stations, is there something i'm doing wrong? or does it just not work here?

• Advertisement

Trying to tune in a freeview box in the republic, am just getting 10 rte radio stations, is there something i'm doing wrong? or does it just not work here?

Doesn't work here. Most Freeview STBs only decode MPEG-2 video, Saorview uses MPEG-4.

What make & model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 humpty dumpty 74

The Cush wrote: »

Doesn't work here. Most Freeview STBs only decode MPEG-2 video, Saorview uses MPEG-4.

What make & model is it?
    It's a goodmans gbd9

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭johnj1969

Anybody able to clarify this please!Even if a HDTV is not Soarview approved,can it still work with soarview?My tv is a Sony hx803 which according to soarview.ie,is not Soarview approved.My previous tv had same criteria :Wasn't SV approved but according to sources,it was compatible.,So,does anybody know for sure if a Sony hx803 is compatible? Thanks in advance.

johnj1969 wrote: »
    My tv is a Sony hx803 which according to soarview.ie,is not Soarview approved.My previous tv had same criteria :Wasn't SV approved but according to sources,it was compatible.,So,does anybody know for sure if a Sony hx803 is compatible?

It has a DVB-T2/mpeg-4 tuner and so should work OK with Saorview.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tv-117-46-lcd/kdl-46hx803?campaignId=12003038&s_kwcid=sony%20HX803|7794742991#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭creedp

Hi I've just bought a 32" Panasonic TX L32x20L and was told it is saorview compatible. I've now read through some of this thread and am worried its not. Can someone who can understand this stuff advise me?

Also I have a 32" sony KDL (don't have full code) bought 2 years ago and want to leave either the Sony or Panasonic in a rented house for a year or so when I move house. Which would be better the Panasonic or Sony - I know the Sony isn't compatible with Saorview but as it will have a UPC connection that doesn't matter. So sony LCD -v- Panasonic LCD?

Thanks

creedp wrote: »
    Hi I've just bought a 32" Panasonic TX L32x20L and was told it is saorview compatible. I've now read through some of this thread and am worried its not. Can someone who can understand this stuff advise me?

Also I have a 32" sony KDL (don't have full code) bought 2 years ago and want to leave either the Sony or Panasonic in a rented house for a year or so when I move house. Which would be better the Panasonic or Sony - I know the Sony isn't compatible with Saorview but as it will have a UPC connection that doesn't matter. So sony LCD -v- Panasonic LCD?

Thanks

To update, my sony is a KDL32v4000 - anyone know if saorview compatible? I currently have cable and no ariel but will shortly be moving house and will have no cable so wondering will TV work without converter box?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That particular model cannot decode Mpeg4 so no, it's not Saorview compatible.

Achilles wrote: »
    That particular model cannot decode Mpeg4 so no, it's not Saorview compatible.

Thanks I was afraid of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

Hi all, I live in London and I want to buy my mam & dad who live back home in Mayo a TV to watch Saorview on. Can anyone recommend a 32 inch LCD that I could get from a UK shop, online or in a shop that will work with Saorview. I'm looking to spend £200 to £300. Thanks.

alfreg wrote: »
    Hi all, I live in London and I want to buy my mam & dad who live back home in Mayo a TV to watch Saorview on. Can anyone recommend a 32 inch LCD that I could get from a UK shop, online or in a shop that will work with Saorview. I'm looking to spend £200 to £300. Thanks.

Anything marked as doing 'Freeview HD' should be able to pick up the Mpeg4 stream, you might want to make sure that it also has Mheg5 to be fully compatible with the spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

Thanks for the info achilles. I have found this one, http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002901&langId=-1&searchTerms=LG+32LD320#pdpFullProductInformation, It says its compatible in the Republic of Ireland and is for sale in Argos in the republic.

Anyone have any experiences with this TV

The LG LD320 is not compatibile with Saorview, however the LD350 from the next range up is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Are these two tvs the same, just different codes for different countries?

When I did a search on the pixmania one, a lot of the sites are in French so hence my question

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9309321/art/panasonic/tx-lf37e30-led-television.html

vs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L37E30B-37-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B004P1HVX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314822299&sr=8-1

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Are these two tvs the same, just different codes for different countries?

When I did a search on the pixmania one, a lot of the sites are in French so hence my question

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9309321/art/panasonic/tx-lf37e30-led-television.html

vs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L37E30B-37-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B004P1HVX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314822299&sr=8-1

They look the same alright. Both alos do MPEG4 so you'd pick up the TV stream at least. I don't see any mention of Mheg5 though so there'd be no interactive services available.

It's interesting that it has a DVB-C tuner though, means you could potentially pick up a few UPC test channels with it it if you have cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

Walker will have some new Led sets coming out in november and should be fully Saorview compatible. http://www.walker.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know if its possible to get a TV yet thats Saorview compatible and which allows you to record on to a USB stick that plugs into the side of the TV?

I think some TVs offer this feature (or perhaps its just pausing live tv?) but any that also get Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know how this USB recording actually functions in practice?

If your USB is plugged in, is it just a matter of hitting RECORD on your TV remote and thats it?

Anyone got any feedback on the quality of the Walker TVs? Good picture? Reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

If this Walker TV Saorview certificed, then why is the spec say 720p? when RTE2 HD is 1080i

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone got any feedback on the quality of the Walker TVs? Good picture? Reliable?
    They seem OK picture wise. On the Walker 16", the EPG is very basic - white script on a black background - only now and next info on the search and scan banner. Even on the main EPG there is only one line of information for each programme. The MHEG-5 services (digital text etc.) are very slow. I have no information regarding USB recording.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

scaller wrote: »

Interesting logo on that site.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Interesting logo on that site.

St. Bridget's cross?

Advertisement