Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish/UK PVR

Options
  • 31-10-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Sorry folks probably been asked a 100 times but is there an irish/uk PVR on the market yet that will do both ? My Sharp TV LC-40-LE600E (with integral freeview) has both UK/irish digital channel, all with EPG

Have all the irish digital channels and some of the uk ones looking to get rid of the video recorder (tuned to the 8 analogue channels) dont have ITV or C4 digitally but i can live without being able to record these 2 for the time being).

Bough a decent Humax PVR but had to send it back as it (obviuosly)didnt pick up the irish channels so wasnt much use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is there a usb socket on the back of that tv? Any chance you can attach an external hdd to it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The Humax you bought was Freeview only, whereas the Freeview HD version would work for your existing Freeview, Saorview and (from Ocober 2012) Freevie HD. There is a Humax Freeview HD receiver which can record to an external USB Hard Drive, and a more expensive PVR version with inbuilt hard drive.

If you search this forum for Humax, you will find plenty of feedback. Start with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Newryrep

Is there a usb socket on the back of that tv? Any chance you can attach an external hdd to it that way?

there are 2
    sesswhat wrote: »
    The Humax you bought was Freeview only, whereas the Freeview HD version would work for your existing Freeview, Saorview and (from Ocober 2012) Freevie HD. There is a Humax Freeview HD receiver which can record to an external USB Hard Drive, and a more expensive PVR version with inbuilt hard drive.

If you search this forum for Humax, you will find plenty of feedback. Start with this thread.

cheers, I wouldnt be that technically minded but I think from reading the above thread

the Freeview HD reciever would work but i would need an external hard drive to store the recordings ? and there are still some minor gripes to overcome ?

the PVR version will work but again there are some minor gripes to overcome ?

Solution - wait a few months and an idiot proof one will be out in no time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Saorview and Freeview are based on different standards so there will always be potential for problems when using one receiver for both. The manufacturers may not be particularly interested in making their product work seamlessly with two different services at the same time.

I think the best that us border dwellers can hope for is that the technical people on the Saorview side will make allowances for people using Freeview HD equipment, so that important things like series link recording will be compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Have just purchased the Sony Freeview + HDT500 Twin Tuner PVR hoping to get both Freeview and Saorview on one EPG. Have been told by Sony representative that it will do both. Hope to unpack box soon and set it up. Will let you know what happens. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Have just purchased the Sony Freeview + HDT500 Twin Tuner PVR hoping to get both Freeview and Saorview on one EPG. Have been told by Sony representative that it will do both.

Thanks for the update following our previous posts on this.

Looking forward to your review.

The Cush wrote: »
    Thanks for the update following our previous posts on this.

Looking forward to your review.

Have unpacked box and set up Sony Freeview + HDT500 Twin Tuner. Here's my summary of what I experienced with positives first and then some negatives;
    (1) Easy to set up and install - did so in a few minutes hassle free. Menu is easy to follow and unit being quite small in comparison to other PVRs is easily placed.
    (2) Freeview and Saorview on one EPG - great for guide and for ease of recording.
    (3) Twin tuner means you can record 2 programmes at once and even watch another - better than Sky + in this matter!
    (4) Having HD for first time (RTE2) is great as we'll have to wait another year here in NI to get HD on Freeview.
    (5) All Saorview channels coming through with good signal - no break up despite fact that Saorview from Clermont Carn is still somewhat nulled to the north. Tuner must be quite sensitive.
    (6) Unfortunately RTE channels have appeared in a strange order with RTE1 coming last below TG4 TV3 and RTE2.
    (7) Can't find a way to reorder channels - only delete which of course I don't want to do for ROI channels. Tried manual scan for Saorview channels having channel scanned in Freeview ones second time round and still Saorview channels appeared in same order as before.
    (8) Programme info. on Saorview channels is very bare with title of programme and virtually nothing else. Freeview epg info is fine.

All in all despite the problems re order of Saorview channels I'm glad I got this PVR. It's still worth the price in my opinion.

Just to update re Sony Twin Tuner Freeview HD PVR having had a bit more time to check it through. Fast forward speed reaches 64x (quicker than Sky+), play and pause is great too and being able to have 2 screens in one is added extra. However inability to rearrange channels is a minus in my opinion. Also lost ROI Saorview channels this morning when I switched box back on and had to re scan them in. I think this is because of Sony update and fact that I did not have masthead amplifier switched on so no info. getting through to box when updating channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

If you set up a favourites list, can you place channels in the order of your choice there?

egal wrote: »
    If you set up a favourites list, can you place channels in the order of your choice there?

Thanks for that. Will check this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Just to update re Sony Twin Tuner Freeview HD PVR having had a bit more time to check it through. Fast forward speed reaches 64x (quicker than Sky+), play and pause is great too and being able to have 2 screens in one is added extra. However inability to rearrange channels is a minus in my opinion. Also lost ROI Saorview channels this morning when I switched box back on and had to re scan them in. I think this is because of Sony update and fact that I did not have masthead amplifier switched on so no info. getting through to box when updating channels.

Have you tried to set a weekly recording on the timer (not from the EPG) I tried the sony for rte and it had not got that facilty for this and RTE or others dont send a series link in their transmissions so a timer would be the only way to record a series

Just to update - I keep losing Saorview channels and have to manually install them. I think this is to do with the daily Sony update (c10..00am) when masthead amplifier unit is not switched on. Otherwise I can't figure out how they go missing. Must remember to keep amplifier power unit on.

Does this do the job? No?

Just to update - I can set up 2 recordings from epg on Sony Freeview HD PVR and record successfully if both are from Freeview or both from Saorview but if there is one from each system then the one that is the later one (or if at same time the one set secondly) does not record. This is strange and I presume may be something to do with the Saorview transmission signal from the epg. I can also record directly with 2 recordings one on Saorview and the other on Freeview by hitting recording button and not going through epg.

Just to update - I can set up 2 recordings from epg on Sony Freeview HD PVR and record successfully if both are from Freeview or both from Saorview but if there is one from each system then the one that is the later one (or if at same time the one set secondly) does not record. This is strange and I presume may be something to do with the Saorview transmission signal from the epg. I can also record directly with 2 recordings one on Saorview and the other on Freeview by hitting recording button and not going through epg.

any update on this in general ? would you recommend ? any failings

Newryrep wrote: »
    any update on this in general ? would you recommend ? any failings

Same problem exists unfortunately. Also noticed that when I set a timer recording for Freeview channel and the last channel the Sony PVR was tuned into was a Saorview one the timer recording failed. There seems to be a conflict between both systems when recording from epg as directly manually recording from both works fine. Fortunately manual recodring can be extended well beyond 2 hours and with fast forward up to 64x it's not a great problem to record both Freeview and Saorview but timer record does not work where there is one recording set from each system. I have e mailed Sony UK and got a helpful reply saying they will pass on my info. to relevant parties. I may try e mailing Sopny Ireland as well. The box itself is excellent - very quick and easy to use.

As I have got older my hearing is not as good as it once was. Will the Sony record subtitles from Saorview?

As I have got older my hearing is not as good as it once was. Will the Sony record subtitles from Saorview?

Will check this out and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fergmc69

Will check this out and report back.
    Hi there, this is my first post so bear with me. Digifriendly have u made any progress with problem recording both from saorview and UK EPG at the same time. I am having the same problem. Would firmware update improve things or make them worse? Regards fergmc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What happens when the clocks go forward?

• Advertisement

fergmc69 wrote: »
    Hi there, this is my first post so bear with me. Digifriendly have u made any progress with problem recording both from saorview and UK EPG at the same time. I am having the same problem. Would firmware update improve things or make them worse? Regards fergmc

Will try this again but I guess if you're continuing to have this problem so will I. Unsure about update. Will get back to you asap.

had a chat with the shop I got the sharp from in Newry and explained what the issue was ie i want a PVR that will record UK and Irish channels. He said there is a Toshiba out in about 4 weeks that should do the trick should be under £200

Ended up going for a Humax HDR Fox T2 and it genrally does what I wanted it to do. Record Freeview or Saorview but a couple of minor gripes

· When I now change from channel to channel either via P+ or thelist(or any method) instead of practically instantaneous as previously noted,the audio is instantaneous however it and the screen then disappears and the‘new’ chanel appears and the audio reappears both a good 2-3 seconds later –very frustrating as you are staring at a blank screen – the channel changingvia the Humax is actually better than my TV and when the digital is boosted inthe autumn will likely use the Humax principally.

· There were a series of strange intermittent noises coming fromthe unit – quite audible across the room (like a disc drive noise definetly not a fan)which didn’tsound particularily healthy, I never noticed any such noises during the testrecordings.

any suggestions ?

Advertisement