Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thanks OP. Tippedy top.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

What needs to happen?
    First, the Government must go at once and be replaced in the short term by a technical administration (led by non-political people of integrity and competence) that will enter negotiations on the basis of the Irish public interest, not of continuing Fianna Fáil’s disastrous agenda.
    Second, at least two alternative plans need to be prepared by the political parties and put to the people in a referendum, restoring the idea of popular sovereignty.
    Third, before an election, a civic movement has to create a critical mass around the idea of radical political reform.
    How can these basic needs be forced on to the agenda?
    First, the people of Donegal South West have to refuse to vote for Fianna Fáil – at all. They can deliver a clear message that this Government has no mandate to conclude any deal.
    Second, hundreds of thousands of people have to get out on the streets for the Irish Congress of Trade Unions demonstration on Saturday. Forget what you think about the unions – this is the one chance citizens have to demand a choice. Whether you agree with Ictu’s alternative plan or not, the idea that there should be a coherent alternative is crucial to the survival of our democracy. Without it, an election will be an empty ritual.
    Third, in response to public requests, I intend to put up on my website (fintanotoole.ie) by the end of the week a list of 10 basic demands for changing our political culture and system.
    If people agree, they will be able to put their names to the demands, which include a €100,000 salary cap for public officials, a change in the electoral system, a shrinking and overhaul of the Dáil, and measures to kill the toxic three Cs: clientelism, cronyism and corruption.
    What matters most is that we cease to be an invisible people. That our government is irrelevant is their fault.
    That the people are irrelevant is ours.
    Sovereignty belongs, not to the State, or the government, but to the people. We have outsourced it for too long to an incompetent, amoral and self-serving elite. Now we face the starkest of choices: use it or lose it.

Fintin's website will be up by the end of the week.

C'mon lets change Ireland for the good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

on your bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

It seems our closest neighbour isnt too happy about giving us a loan. And they dont want the Micks flooding their country looking for work either !

From The Guardian (Left Wing paper)
    Cameron says he is being 'good neighbours' with the Irish. Why, when they have been such terrible neighbours to us?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/22/no-bailout-for-ireland

From the more right wing Daily Mail
    David Cameron has warned that Britain could be swamped by a 'huge' wave of migration from Ireland unless the country's economic future can be secured

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332360/IRELAND-BAILOUT-David-Cameron-predicts-influx-Irish-jobseekers.html#ixzz168ZOiMsv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

It seems our closest neighbour isnt too happy about giving us a loan. And they dont want the Micks flooding their country looking for work either !

From The Guardian (Left Wing paper)
    Cameron says he is being 'good neighbours' with the Irish. Why, when they have been such terrible neighbours to us?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/22/no-bailout-for-ireland

From the more right wing Daily Mail
    David Cameron has warned that Britain could be swamped by a 'huge' wave of migration from Ireland unless the country's economic future can be secured

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332360/IRELAND-BAILOUT-David-Cameron-predicts-influx-Irish-jobseekers.html#ixzz168ZOiMsv

The Guardian makes good points from an English perspective. How is it equivalent to racism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I find that both those news papers irritate my eyes if i read them and my ring if i wipe with them, so id imagine its not worth even debating.

Id rather ask Jamie Carragher his opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

We dont even need their bloody money. Get lost you English dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

eh, yea we do

Those brown envelopes aint gonna fill themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

We're taking the EU Stability Fund I think, which the UK contributes to, but then they're giving us a separate loan too.
    There is nothing to complain about in the EU fund... the extra loan is a bit odd IMO.

Unless I'm wrong and we're taking the Eurozone fund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'd take anything the Daily Fail says with a pich of salt.

Besides, as a graduate and a professional I would be more than happy to work in the UK in the new year, as I feel that I'd have a lot to offer.

What are my alternatives? Sit here on my hole and feel sorry for myself? Feed on negativity and self hatred like the Irish media encourage you to do?

So, if the Rt Hon Prime Minister doesnt want a graduate of my calibre, assuming this spin is true, I'll take it Stateside, or mainland Europe even.

Not bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'd take anything the Daily Fail says with a pich of salt.

Besides, as a graduate and a professional I would be more than happy to work in the UK in the new year, as I feel that I'd have a lot to offer.

What are my alternatives? Sit here on my hole and feel sorry for myself? Feed on negativity and self hatred like the Irish media encourage you to do?

So, if the Rt Hon Prime Minister doesnt want a graduate of my calibre, assuming this spin is true, I'll take it Stateside, or mainland Europe even.

Not bothered.
    Good luck getting a job in the US. Their economic situation makes us look like we're minted.

Canada on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

snyper wrote: »
    .... and my ring if i wipe with them...
    snyper wrote: »
    Those brown envelopes aint gonna fill themselves

Problem and solution.........signed and sealed, just needs to be delivered.
    Watch out for paper cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

We dont even need their bloody money.

We do, but I'm just gonna consider it rent arrears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

OisinT wrote: »
    Good luck getting a job in the US. Their economic situation makes us look like we're minted.

Canada on the other hand...

@OisinT, I'd prefer Canada actually, I just said the USA because it was the first thing that popped into my head. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No whiny people, no dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so we're getting a bit of money of the EU and UK so what,

they owe us after all the hundred of billions they've made out of fishing our box over the last 30 years rabble rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Neine Irisch, Neine Hunde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Snakeblood wrote: »
    The Guardian makes good points from an English perspective. How is it equivalent to racism?
    Snakeblood wrote: »

Exactly, it's from an English perspective and if the shoe was on the other foot it would be from an Irish one ie, why we we should /shouldn't lend the money and help our neighbours out .People should understand the difference between racism and plain opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

there's no jobs in England :confused:
    stupid thicks why would we go
    australia, canada and dubai now I'd love to emigrate there
    never, ever England not a nice place to live

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Right.
    Lets leave this conversation to the irish economy forum or the politics forum. Anywhere but here.
    That's a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Let's bring in a FAT tax. 50 euro per year for every pound overwight a person is. It'll bring in a load of cash and save millions for the hse. Our td's alone will be paying thousands per person;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

a stupendous plan..

BUT..

none of us will be fat after the budget..

we will no longer be able to afford food..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

A stupid tax would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Given the current climate of the media ane pretty much everyone else talking about how overpaid our public sector workers are my question is this. How much in your opinion do you think the average frotline public sector worker ( gardai, nurses teachers etc) should be paid. after tax what do you reckon they are woth for a weeks work...also tell us your average after tax weekly earning and job if you wish..i am interested to see how people really feel about the worth of these jobs..by the way i am an electrician and earn 800euro after tax per week just to start it off

Hey look dr b - another one to add to the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Throw in your credit card details while you're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Sher Jaysus, a guard wouldn't even ask a question like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Sher Jaysus, a guard wouldn't even ask a question like that!

The IMF would... when they get the average opinion from this thread, they're gonna slash it by 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - you seek an answer to the impossible! BTW if I tell you my take home pay, do you want me to include my RSI number and date of birth with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OP needs to learn how markets work. If I tried to guess how much someone should be paid, there's a 100% chance that I'd be wrong, and I'd just be interfering with the operation of the marketplace for labour. If you can't get people to do a job, you're not offering enough. And vice versa: if you're drowning in CVs, you're paying too much.

But ... but ... don't people have a right to a job? A right to get paid? Of course you do, but the right won't mean a thing if the money isn't there for the paying. Look at the UK: the public sector is threatening to swamp the rest of the economy, leaving fewer and fewer people in the private sector who actually create wealth.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement