Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eddison wrote: »
    Hi Dudes, and dudettes,

Have you seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdwtn0Hsc_w&feature=topvideos

Yes it does what it says on the tin.. The new method to deal with pesky protesters is to simply run them over ! this is much more politically correct than getting the Garda to beat them up, and deserves applause for a step in the right direction.
    Lets hope RTE think this new method of dealing with protesters is shown on RTE, as it is good enough for the BBC..

Ed
    There is a big thread about it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Saddam Hussein:

Pro - Strong leader. Good for resolving tribal disputes.
    Anti - Displayed a Fianna Failure-like disregard for his citizens. Pugnacious.

Adolf Hilter:

Pro - Good organiser. Did wonders with the infrastructure.
    Anti - Moustache nearly as bad as Willy O'Dea. Genocidal.

Stalin:

Pro - Crafty. Switched allegiances as the situation changed. Terrified subordinates in Haughey-esque manner. Would be popular with Unions.
    Anti - Slightly paranoid. Over-emphasis on central planning. Murdered millions.

Pol Pot:

Pro - Visionary. Reformist. Motivated his party very effectively.
    Anti - Fianna Failure-like disregard for actual people. Anti-intellectual on a Healy-Rae scale.

Idi Amin:

Pro - Cheerful. Contagious laugh. Man of the people.
    Anti - Murderous cannibal. Contentious industrial policies.

Osama bin Laden:

Pro - Good organiser. Inspires loyalty. Beard a Shinner would be proud of.
    Anti - Dogmatism approaches Fianna Failure levels. Hard man to find.

Genghis Khan

Pro - Not afraid of IMF or anyone else. Good for horse industry. Easier to understand than Fianna Failure bogmen.
    Anti - Not afraid of IMF or anyone else. Smelly.

Oliver Cromwell

Pro - Principled. Determined. Identified and achieved targets. Serious-looking. More respect for Ireland than Fianna Failure.
    Anti - Over ambitious. Strange hairdo. Bloodthirsty maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A proper kick ass president, Hugo Chavez Style!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving from Politics to After Hours (assuming that's OK, apologies if not)

Take it to After Hours please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

From the politics forum
    STATEMENT BY THE TAOISEACH AND FIANNA FAIL MEMBERS OF GOVERNMENT ON MONDAY, 22nd November 2010

There are occasions when the imperative of serving the national interest transcends other concerns, including party political and personal concerns.

This is one such occasion.

The vital national interests of this country require that financial stability be achieved:

by publishing a Four-Year Plan which sets out how the necessary €15 billion adjustment will be implemented by 2014;

by adopting a Budget which effects a €6 billion adjustment in 2011;

by taking the necessary legislative and other measures to give effect to the terms of the Budget; and

by concluding negotiations on a Programme for support from the European Union, the ECB and the IMF. These negotiations, in turn, are taking place in the context of the budgetary arrangements coming into effect.

It is a matter of the highest importance that Dáil Éireann should continue to consider and enact the relevant measures, and that the Government should continue to discharge its obligation to bring forward the necessary proposals.

There will be a time for political accountability to the electorate. The interests of the electorate, of all our people, will not be served by delaying, or worse still casting into doubt, the steps which are necessary to secure our economy and financial stability.

The Government will publish its Four-Year Plan next Wednesday; it will continue the negotiations with the EU, the ECB and with the IMF; it will present a Budget to the Dáil on 7th December and it will introduce the necessary Resolutions and legislation to give definitive effect to those measures.

We believe that there is a clear duty on all members of Dáil Éireann to facilitate the passage of these measures in the uniquely serious circumstances in which we find ourselves. The political and financial stability of the State requires no less.

It is the Taoiseach’s intention, at the conclusion of this budgetary process with the enactment of the necessary legislation in the New Year, to seek a dissolution of Dáil Éireann and to enable the people to determine who should undertake the responsibilities of Government in the challenging period ahead.
    All that remains to be seen is how much damage they can do before they leave. Funniest thing in that statement for me was "There are occasions when the imperative of serving the national interest transcends other concerns, including party political and personal concerns." So what you're saying is that in the normal course of events, the national interest takes a back seat to personal and party politics, eh lads?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd find these types of threads atleast semi interesting if they weren't created by some group that just want to pedal their own political views.

Given your username is the same of "your party" its clear your just going to do anything to put down other partys regardless of who is in power.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that in the normal course of events, the national interest takes a back seat to personal and party politics, eh lads?

Are you talking to me? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd find these types of threads atleast semi interesting if they weren't created by some group that just want to pedal their own political views.

Given your username is the same of "your party" its clear your just going to do anything to put down other partys regardless of who is in power.
    In fairness FF does a great job of putting themselves down, and this exit statement is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    From the politics forum
    Leave it in the politics forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

What about a discussion on what a discussion can be about?

I'm fairly new to the AH section. Been enjoying the pseudo political threads of late so I started a thread called 'Minimum Wage' yesterday. No more the 8 or 9 posts in it got closed.
    That in it's own right is not my issue. It just annoys me when mods close, delete, move or otherwise interfere with legitimate and unoffensive posts without any explanation to either the thread starter or any of the participants.
    I read the 'don't go bashing celebs for fear of lawsuits' post but maybe there is some other 'don't defend the lower earners lest they rise up' post I'm missing?

So in the AH section what is and what is not open for discussion? Is discussion open for discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

iamstop wrote: »
    Is discussion open for discussion?
    That depends on the type of discussion you want to have about the discussion of discussion. I suppose that's a discussion for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Mods are like bouncers. Some are pricks who like to throw their weight around and others are sound and only intervene when required.
    Luck of the draw which you get really!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I'm discussted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055747615
    Thems the rules though some mods do take them far too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a huge amount of IMF/Economy threads in AH at the moment though.

It was probably nothing against your thread in particular. Although you probably didn't help your cause with a weak opening post.

You gotta get to the point in AH or else provide good oppotunities for puns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can't use the "f" word in AH.

Not fuck, f**tball.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

trying to think of a whitty responce before thread is locked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

If you have an issue with how a thread is moderated PM the mod in question.

If you have a more general issue with what topics are open for discussion you can use the feedback forum or the help desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Peoples incomes are going to be very much reduced in decembers budget. Then there are bills like morgtage or rent, food, esb, clothing, etc. Then extra bills like property and water tax. People are not going to have money to spend. It will lead to more unemployment. What the hell are we going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Eat cake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Post about it in AH that is for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

or cheese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Starbelgrade is gonna explode when he sees this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

ilovesleep wrote: »
    What the hell are we going to do.

Make MORE threads about it!!!
    Threads make baby jesus cry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Panic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Oh gosh. Really? Things are going to get worse after a budget which is all about austerity? :eek:

I'm so glad I read AH today - I really wouldn't have known otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement