Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We don't want a thread on every little thing you think about the economy - superlock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Look at the bright side, if they're not working they can't do any more harm.

In a weird way, they could do as much damage by not turning up in certain situations. After all, it was failure to take decisive action that has caused our current difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I should hope that FF would get embarrased if the length of their holidays was mentioned around their friends in the IMF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

FF will be getting a nice long holiday in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If this has been posted before please delete

Ya know the way the Greens are sticking with Fianna Fail till January, Fianna Fail say it's impossible to hold an election before Christmas and the budget won't be brought forward is this all because of the students?

Think about it the biggest anti Fianna Fail movement is Students and in the past all the elections are held at awkward times making it hard for them to vote with collage. Now if an election was called it will run for a minimum of 3 weeks, in 3-5 weeks all students (well most) will be at home and able to vote much easier.

Is this a ploy by Greens and Fianna Fail to try everything they can to hold on to any seats they can by hoping that by making it hard for their opposition supporters to vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

ah another politics thread. lovely. prob so they can put together a campaign of sorts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Because it takes a little time to organise an election?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lets try and keep to the existing threads or the politics forum for the moment Danny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Palmerstown_guy

Good Article by Forbes...

http://blogs.forbes.com/beltway/2010/11/23/what-happened-to-the-celtic-tiger/

What Happened To The Celtic Tiger?

According to a sign in my office, it’s exactly 4,381 miles from Dallas, Texas, to Limerick, Ireland.

That sign, a replica of an Irish road sign, was given to me by a colleague, Mark Wynne, who took my place in a forthcoming speaking assignment in Ireland when I retired from the Dallas Fed in November 2004. Limerick was between the airport and the Irish venue, and I had looked forward to stopping there, musing with my muse, and getting a picture of the city limit sign. Mark, an Irish-born economist, had the sign made for me.
    I had visited Ireland previously in the go-go years of the 1990s when its booming economy had earned it the title of Celtic Tiger. Ireland was enjoying the benefits of lower tax rates than its European partners. Instead of copying Ireland’s success with lower tax rates, they tried to get Ireland to raise its rates to ease the competition.
    A gratifying aspect of the Irish boom was that it was slowing emigration and even attracting many emigrants to come back home. Beginning with the potato famine, which probably accounts for my presence in this country, Ireland had consistently lost population. Happily, the Irish population was growing again and optimism was in the air. Good economic policies were working.
    The last time Mark and I had visited Ireland was on the eve of the adoption of the new European Central Bank and the common currency, the Euro. Our conversation with the Governor of the Irish central bank focused on how a common monetary policy for Europe at that time would probably be too easy for the booming Irish economy. Nevertheless, he was a good sport about turning over his monetary policy to the ECB. (We had earlier visited with Bundesbank officials as well as those of the new ECB. I wasn’t sure about going from Buba, to a shiny high rise, but that’s another story.)
    Having left the Fed six years ago this month, I had lost track of the goings on in Ireland, so I tracked down my friend by email and asked him what happened to Ireland. He gave me permission to reprint his quick informal e-mail reply, which follows.
    “That is a great question. I think a combination of hubris, incompetence, corruption and too much believing their own PR. One might usefully distinguish between the “Celtic Tiger” boom years of the 1990s when growth was driven by a rebound from the great depression that Ireland suffered in the 1980s and other strong fundamentals (such as the low corporate income tax rate), and the “bubble” years of the 2000s when growth was driven by a huge property bubble, and construction became one of the main drivers of growth (as the Prime Minister at the time observed “the boom was getting boomier”). This was partly fueled by the low interest rate policies of the ECB. The government became more dependent on tax revenues tied to property, so when the property market collapsed they found themselves in a deep fiscal hole. The banks engaged in an orgy of property-related lending that should have been nipped in the bud by regulators but was not, probably in part due to the tight political ties between property developers and leading politicians. So when the property market began to implode, the government and the banks found themselves in deep water. The government’s problems were then compounded by the perceived need to bail out the banking system, leaving them in an even deeper fiscal hole. Now we have the IMF/EU coming to the rescue, in part to prevent contagion to other euro area countries. I think it is really interesting to see the difference in the attitudes of the Irish and the Greeks to having to go to outsiders for help. As best I can tell, the Greeks are happy to take money from anyone who will give it to them, while for the Irish it is regarded as the greatest humiliation of the state since its founding in 1922.”

Hello folks. Please try the irish economy forum or the politics forum.
    PM for clarification if needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Someone may have mentioned it before but maybe the time has come to ditch europe and the euro and the bond holders and join America. We have lost our soverinty anyway. We could elect a governor and scrap the oireachtas, adopt their constitution and laws and take their hand out, thats if they'll have us!! Anyone on for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

no

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

joining china would make more sense at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I am married to an American and much as I love many things about America, I would never want Ireland to be part of it.

It is a ticking time bomb and China pretty much owns it now. Some day they will call to collect.
    Can you imagine a Billion debt collectors being sent forth?

The image of "The former United states" in V for Vendetta might not be too far off the mark in our lifetimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

LMFAO!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

It's not like a gym, that you can just leave and join another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Saruman wrote: »
    The image of "The former United states" in V for Vendetta might not be too far off the mark in our lifetimes.
    Wasn't V for Vendetta set in Britain? Hence the Guy Fawkes stuff? Saw it a while back, so if there was some reference to the US somewhere I don't remember it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I didn't know Michael Soden had registered with boards.ie. Rubbish idea. Move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Ireland is in default anyways so America wouldnt touch us.

Please try another forum. Politics, irish economy, both available.
    Please don't start this thread in AH again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm in sales, months sales depend on your following months commission, i I'll get bonus at dec for this months sales.

Has anyone else noticed this month had been woeful?

Can't wait to see my child play with her lump of coal this year!

Ps, shes only a minor, not a miner!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gucky wrote: »
    Can't wait to see my child play with her lump of coal this year!

Fancy git!

Mine will get half a briquette if he's lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hardly surprising that people are terrified to spend what they have given the situation we find ourselves in, and the woeful "leadership" being shown by our government

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

uQKF1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Definitely been a bad month. Don't care though because they were kind enough not to give me any motivation (better wage and commission) or even transport to facilitate my sales job. Morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Cheer up OP, you're kids will hate you when they turn 15 no matter what you buy them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Quazzie wrote: »
    Fancy git!

Mine will get half a briquette if he's lucky.

Fossil fuels are expensive, get him renewable energy, like a jar of wind.

GO ON MARY!!! She is the ****! MARY FOR TAOISEACH!

Would be optimal if she moved to Fine Gael though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Even atheists would say "God help us".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

GO ON MARY!!! She is the ****! MARY FOR TAOISEACH!

Would be optimal if she moved to Fine Gael though!

if you lived here in the early 80s when her father des was doing his catholic nazi impressions in anti divorce referendums you would have very serious doubts about this lady as a future leader . what this country needs is new untainted leadership not discredited individuals like her

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement