Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolonged cold spell on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS is out to 120 hours and looks nice so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

you know i have been reading on here since the last year,

and norm i come on read all your great posts and 99% of the time your all spot on, does not matter what weather it is you all tend to get it right.
    And norm you all agree on what it will be.

Now this is a confusing time as 1 or 2 of you that i follow and trust in your wise words of wisdom are not agreeing.

ooooo i just dont know who to think is right.

so i shall be over here
    >

sitting on the fence:D
    is there room for 1 more on that fence isle of man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

18Z GFS is out to 120 hours and looks nice so far. :)

Yep, looks like a bit of an upgrade to me. Max temp in Dublin on Thursday at 2 or 3c and lots of precip around....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Two day snowfest in the East of the country on the 18z on Friday and Saturday - that will change but the trend remains the same. Looking good!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Progged max temps on the 18z for next Saturday :pac:

Rtavn16217.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

darkman2 wrote: »
    Two day snowfest in the East of the country on the 18z on Friday and Saturday - that will change but the trend remains the same. Looking good!:)

Jeez, complete snowmageddon. Pity its at t+144. Nice to look at though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

snow showers on higher ground for sure. And you can include northern third of country in that same bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

OK Handbags at 10 paces..... cant we not all just get along...

I just hope there will be snow in one form or another, Im off this week and it would be really nice to not be working when it is snowing for once. I have my 2 sleighs ready and I would really like to be able to use them instead of looking at the snow from work or being stuck in my car in it... oh yeah must buy some de icer while I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Towards the end of next week met eireann said the showers will be coming down from northerly direction instead of east so hopefully I will have my turn for some snow showers then.

you have to share Michael McIntyre's enthusiasm for snow:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Expect the week to work like this (Rough Guide):

Monday - Wednesday

Bright days with light Easterly and Northeasterly breezes.
    Cool days 5-9c, frost beginning to set in during the nights. Getting sharper
    as period goes on. Few hail, rain showers in East/ North on Wednesday

Thursday
    Cold digs in as shortwave low pushes into east Britain. Potential for some precip over east probably rain-sleet perhaps turning to snow on higher ground.

Friday
    East/NE flow sets up, true cold air, below zero DP's. Showers turn to sleet/snow. Sharp frosts.

Saturday - Sunday

Very cold air overhead, showers of snow, accumulating in places. Eastern regions at highest risk of snowfall. Daytime temps struggling to 1-2c while nightime severe frosts temps down to -7c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Hello to winter 2010/2011.

Ice, snow and cold hands on the way....

....plus the frozen pipes...

Very entertaining FI on the 18Z GFS. Doesn't seem to be any real breakdown of the cold there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Expect the week to work like this (Rough Guide):

Monday - Wednesday

Bright days with light Easterly and Northeasterly breezes.
    Cool days 5-9c, frost beginning to set in during the nights. Getting sharper
    as period goes on. Few hail, rain showers in East/ North on Wednesday

Thursday
    Cold digs in as shortwave low pushes into east Britain. Potential for some precip over east probably rain-sleet perhaps turning to snow on higher ground.

Friday
    East/NE flow sets up, true cold air, below zero DP's. Showers turn to sleet/snow. Sharp frosts.

Saturday - Sunday

Very cold air overhead, showers of snow, accumulating in places. Eastern regions at highest risk of snowfall. Daytime temps struggling to 1-2c while nightime severe frosts temps down to -7c.

Erm, we are looking at the most astounding charts in internet history.
    The above summarises an ordinary November week. Sharp frosts? We will have sharp frosts from tomorrow night with frost becoming severe from Monday night, very severe ther after with frost slow to thaw by day after wed if at all. I would also suggest away from windward coasts that from thurs on everything will be of snow. I'm surprised wc, perhaps you are getting 'gerrymurphyaitis':D

Have to say I thought his forecast was a disgrace tonight considering what's looming. Cool with a risk of sleet, come off it!!!!!
    Ok ok he mentioned the word cold

The above summarises an ordinary November week. Sharp frosts? We will have sharp frosts from tomorrow night with frost becoming severe from Monday night, very severe ther after with frost slow to thaw by day after wed if at all. I would also suggest away from windward coasts that from thurs on everything will be of snow. I'm surprised wc, perhaps you are getting 'gerrymurphyaitis':D

Have to say I thought his forecast was a disgrace tonight considering what's looming. Cool with a risk of sleet, come off it!!!!!

It looks like a very cold spell of weather and long-lasting but history has taught me that it takes a bit of time for cold to get inbedded and for the showers heading in over the irish sea to turn into 100% snow.

And then it takes the optimum microscale pattern to develop to allow this lake effect Irish sea train develop.

Any other developments of precip generally have big complications with warm sectors etc.

It is very hard to get synoptics that deliver snow here as we know.

But yes there will be lots of ice and it looks like a very impressive spell.

Some brave forecast calls flying around. I still think there is a lot of uncertainty with regards to 850 temps and precipitation or lack of.

If I had to make a forecast I'd go for "Cold, getting colder with a risk of wintry showers later in the week."

I just hope people won't be too disappointed if the latest GFS output doesn't turn out to be exactly right 5 or 6 days from now. :confused:

For example, look at the snowfall accum charts for the same period but based on the 12Z and the 18Z GFS runs from today.

12Z :
    10112800_2012.gif

18Z :
    10112800_2018.gif

Totally up in the air. Pardon the pun. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »

You're dead right it will change!

Disgrace? Because he decided to use common sense and not mention something that's more than likely not going to happen in the next five days? If the Eagle were on he'd have said the same - would you be calling him a disgrace too? :)
    It looks like a very cold spell of weather and long-lasting but history has taught me that it takes a bit of time for cold to get inbedded and for the showers heading in over the irish sea to turn into 100% snow.

And then it takes the optimum microscale pattern to develop to allow this lake effect Irish sea train develop.

Any other developments of precip generally have big complications with warm sectors etc.

It is very hard to get synoptics that deliver snow here as we know.

But yes there will be lots of ice and it looks like a very impressive spell.

Exactly
    Some brave forecast calls flying around. I still think there is a lot of uncertainty with regards to 850 temps and precipitation or lack of.

If I had to make a forecast I'd go for "Cold, getting colder with a risk of wintry showers later in the week."

I just hope people won't be too disappointed if the latest GFS output doesn't turn out to be exactly right 5 or 6 days from now. :confused:

For example, look at the snowfall accum charts for the same period but based on the 12Z and the 18Z GFS runs from today.

12Z :

18Z :

Totally up in the air. Pardon the pun. :pac:

Exactly

A fine fax chart, dismissing ECM shortwave.

ECM ensembles indicate shortwave development over N Norway not favoured.

brack4.gif

The Evening Hearld would love this :D:rolleyes:

192_24.gif

latest model runs have significantly upgraded the lifetime of this cold spell.

ADD ON from the weather outlook.

Notable cold spell expected, snow likely for many
    Cold weather is often marginal and difficult to forecast in Britain, but we do expect the next couple of weeks to bring quite a potent spell of wintry weather, which will be notable given that we are still only in November. Many people are likely to see some sleet or snow, with significant accumulations possible as we head towards next weekend.
    Snow
    The change to colder conditions will begin during the next couple of days as temperatures begin to fall in the north, and through next week much colder weather looks set to extend south across the whole country. By the middle of next week showers will be turning increasingly to sleet and snow, especially in northern and eastern regions. Towards the end of the week it looks as though there will be an increasing chance of more prolonged periods of sleet or snow pushing south across the country.

their provisional winter outlook also refers to that battleground i mentioned earlier regarding the upcoming cold spell when the atlantic tries to restablish istelf over us

The battleground between cold continental air and mild Atlantic air may well shift around close to the UK. In the UK the heaviest falls of snow often occur when mild and wet air from the Atlantic runs into dense cold and dry continental air. This can lead to the formation of heavy and slow moving bands of sleet and snow. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see some locations in the west of Britain and Northern Ireland having significant snowfalls, but the coldest weather is likely to persist for longer in eastern Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

M.T. forecasted this about a month ago . . .which is a pretty good forecast!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Some rollercoaster ride, Changing the whole time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Please please please please peeelease weather people make it come during the week :D
    I'm in the South East and a bit higher up than the rest (220 m asl) so fingers crossed I get a day off :p.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

All the models look good for this time next week but its still a bit off yet, thats me just being a bit on the safe side and not getting my hopes up too much. Personally any bit of snow would be a bonus but mainly id be happy with some very low night temps and a few heavy frosts. In my location we rarely get snow, last winter we had one day of wet snow and that was it. Its great to be on that roller coaster again though :D

i think the models have been going in one direction pretty much all the time. just dreading them heading the other way. so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

delw wrote: »
    is there room for 1 more on that fence isle of man :D

i come along, more the better :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    i think the models have been going in one direction pretty much all the time. just dreading them heading the other way. so far so good

Yea it has been nothing but upgrades, there is an inevetability about downgrades to come. Everytime i watch the models come out i feel like shouting ''BANK'', don't want to risk the next run being a horror story.

Yr.no are ridiculous, minimum temperatures forecast for all next week of -2 . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Could we get a Jean Byrne lay man prediction here? Is it gonna be hot or cold?
    Or you could try rearranging the above words ^^....lol

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Could we get a Jean Byrne lay man prediction here? Is it gonna be (she is) hot or cold?

Like that???:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement