Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolonged cold spell on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Finally finished work for the weekend , seems at lot has happened!, did i get on the rollercoaster at the end? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yup not looking to good

I can confirm that I can now see Lugnaquilla mountain co wicklow from my window and it is plastered in snow from top to bottom.

The first on that of the new 2010-2011 winter season!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Yup not looking to good

Its only just begging , We have a least 3 months of fun still to come .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

so is it actually going to snow:D
    in dublin/country

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    so is it actually going to snow:D
    in dublin/country

Dont think anyone knows for sure yet. On the boards here, we have thems that say it will, and thems that say it wont.

I think it will :) Donegal postie says hard winter, so Im with him. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Is there any chance that our winters will be colder from now on, seeing as the last one and this one look that way. Have we lost some of the milder air we rely on from the south winds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

I'm near Sally Gap, 1 degree Celsius and heavy snow falling (not sticking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Do you guys think we'll see a repeat of last Christmas' treacherous icy conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Winger_PL wrote: »

How near?
    Will you find it difficult to live up there if there is another hard winter ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

As said before some say yes, others are saying no, We will just have to wait and see, we were told we were in for a Hot summer, didnt really happen, the same could happen with a very cold winter, just have to wait and see

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yip....was just up there myself, 0c at one point and heavy snow. Some was starting to stick. Stopped for a bit and when the cloud cleared could see top of Kippure white.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS rolling out. Should be interesting...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think what everyone is looking at and waiting to see is what happens about that shortwave which the ECM has progged coming out of the waters to the west of Norway on Thursday.

ECM1-96.GIF?21-12

What this does is turn the wind more Northerly for a time and delays the main North Easterly flow for a day or two. The upside of this is that it means more precipitation across the country and away from windward coasts these would be wintry (probrably a mixture of rain, hail, sleet and snow). The other models don't make as much of it as the ECM does.

But anyway nothing has really changed - it's going to get very cold with wintry showers and harsh frosts and icy patches from Tuesday onward - that can be said with certainty. I think it's likely that snow will become more of an issue into next weekend but that's still a long way out.:)

12Z GFS....at 108 hours the -8 upper temp line is hundreds of miles further northeast of Ireland.

At 120 hours we have uppers of -2 in places where we had -8 on the 06Z.

Cold getting delayed yet again it seems...

I can confirm that I can now see Lugnaquilla mountain co wicklow from my window and it is plastered in snow from top to bottom.

I note artictree saw some on lug last week from the north side of the mountain.
    This is certainly the first snow on it I've seen of new 2010/11 season from my vantage point and certainly the first time I've seen it white from top to bottom since earlier in the year.It looks like a mini mont Blanc at the moment :)

12Z GFS....at 108 hours the -8 upper temp line is hundreds of miles further northeast of Ireland.

At 120 hours we have uppers of -2 in places where we had -8 on the 06Z.

Cold getting delayed yet again it seems...
    That would be the impact of the shortwave.
    Isn't it gas the impact they have shifting wind source.
    This one wherever it goes though,if it appears at all is only a delay I'd guess not a cancellation.
    Let it head off wherever and the airflow should resume from the E or NE [/hunch]

Yes, just a delay, but annoying to have the cold air getting pushed back again.

Further in FI then, widespread -8/-9 but don't don't quite get the -10 850's until deep in FI around 180 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Not sure if this has been posted already but

SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meteociel servers getting hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes, just a delay, but annoying to have the cold air getting pushed back again.

Further in FI then, widespread -8/-9 but don't don't quite get the -10 850's until deep in FI around 180 hours.

See what I mean??!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

pictures??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Still a good run, we are only in Nov, look how long the north northeast winds are to last, One thing for sure its going to be a cold week/ten days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Yea but from 138hrs on there has been a massive upgrade. Uppers of -10 were never shown to come any sooner than it is now.

Initial cold been put back but all cold from 135 hrs on is actually being brought forward!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

There seems to be more agreement on the shortwave coming south on Thursday and it has a mild sector like they all do. But it does not change the fact that a: that's ony a day or two delay and b: this is going to be an increasingly very cold week with wintry showers and snow likely by the weekend. Also harsh frosts and ice look like they will be slow to clear during daylight hours aswell as temperatures will be in the low to mid single figures generally. A big shock to the system whatever way you look at it. Expect very low night time minimum temperatures for November this week.

The 12z UKMO is excellent for Ireland aswell in terms of potential snowfall and temperatures if that is what you want - not so good for our neighbours at 144hrs though!

Rukm1441.gif

Rtavn1863.png

510 dam line reaching down as far south/west as the Welsh coast.

At 186 hours though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    There seems to be more agreement on the shortwave coming south on Thursday and it has a mild sector like they all do. But it does not change the fact that a: that's ony a day or two delay and b: this is going to be an increasingly very cold week with wintry showers and snow likely by the weekend. Also harsh frosts and ice look like they will be slow to clear during daylight hours aswell as temperatures will be in the low to mid single figures generally. A big shock to the system whatever way you look at it. Expect very low night time minimum temperatures for November this week.

Correct, there was never any question that this week willl not be brass-monkey - the issue is just with how much precipitation and the snow level.

I wonder though will we see some stratus coverage in the north and west, where the inversion will be strongest. It could be that low-level instability may not make it through the inversion and would yield layers of Sc. If that were to happen it might limit nightime cooling in places, so that could be one to watch for too if you're into cold. If this cloud deck were widespread then the whole week could be write-off with regard to record cold. But I'd say the chances of this are less than 50:50 so probably not going to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

2.6c here and bucketing rain:

Web_radar.gif

Its mad, the rest of the country looks bone dry. This is real lake effect precip and the roads are in floods around here. Just shows why we got so much snow in 09 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

NO pictures!? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Iancar29 wrote: »
    NO pictures!? :(

Probably a bit dark by now!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement