Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolonged cold spell on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Looks like wetterzentralde.de is struggling with all the traffic viewing the 12z gfs i'd say..
    MUSEIST wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how the -5 uppers are being pushed back on every run (until eventually they never arive)

That nearly always seems to be the way when a cold spell is forecast..if you have faith they'll eventually arrive though;) The second half of next week certainly is looking very good at the moment, lets hope it stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Oh man 12Z GFS is starting to look good...very good...here come the -10 850's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how the -5 uppers are being pushed back on every run (until eventually they never arive)

From what I can see, it's being pushed back further SW with every run:
    Rtavn1682.png

Now this is just outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Yummy stuff on the 12z!
    135653.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

A bit FI but mad. -10 uppers? Some places could have a frost day.

• Advertisement

A shame that its in FI and will probably downgrade.

-10 850s covering the country :

vrer2b.png

Bitter :

5v992c.png

Precip :

2iu7yf5.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The GFS 122z puts the breakdown back another 36-48hrs:D

The GFS is looking scarrily similar to the charts for mid-december 2009 onwords!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Epic 12z run :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

this time next week.....

the temperature inland stays below freezing all day and the east coast has light snow showers all day,settling due to the severe cold,the country comes to a stand still as the government sold all the salt for cheese ;)

Kippure wrote: »
    Epic 12z run :eek:

FI is insane. At 189 hours (9am Sunday morning) there are maximum surface temps of -7 in places.

Meanwhile here is a closer look at the 850 temps around 160 hours :

993n01.jpg

:rolleyes:

I don't think this will happen. Its November.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

FI is insane. At 189 hours (9am Sunday morning) there are maximum surface temps of -7 in places.

Meanwhile here is a closer look at the 850 temps around 160 hours :

993n01.jpg

:rolleyes:

I don't think this will happen. Its November.

It wouldnt be to surprizing if it did happen. Based on the similar patterns we are seeing to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Kippure wrote: »
    It wouldnt be to surprizing if it did happen. Based on the similar patterns we are seeing to last year.

But its now much earlier in the year than last years cold spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

If it does happen like the GFS says (which it most certainly won't) it will be too early IMO. Yeah we get a fairly cold period November-early December, but the pattern would most certainly have shifted come our window for real cold - January - and it could be an awfully long month if it turned out be Atlantic-zonal, and this cold period would long since be forgotten.

So let this taxi pass - there'll be plenty more coming behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

In response to Su Campu earlier - im 100% confident I have this right;)

Anyway UKMO.....things are looking exceptionally poised right now

UW120-21.GIF?20-18

BNasically in a nutshell turning progressively colder with really very severe frosts next week inland, icy patches and wintry showers increasingly of snow to all levels later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Su Campu wrote: »
    If it does happen like the GFS says (which it most certainly won't) it will be too early IMO. Yeah we get a fairly cold period November-early December, but the pattern would most certainly have shifted come our window for real cold - January - and it could be an awfully long month if it turned out be Atlantic-zonal, and this cold period would long since be forgotten.

So let this taxi pass - there'll be plenty more coming behind.

What!?

These synoptics are fantastic and would deliver snow, yes the SSTs in the Irish sea are a little high but if we get our -10c 850hpas that will just mean juicier snow showers ;)

darkman2 wrote: »
    In response to Su Campu earlier - im 100% confident I have this right;)

How can you be 100% confident? You're reading models, which are never 100% right, especially 5-6 days away.

Maybe it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, which if it was, then grand ;)

What!?

These synoptics are fantastic and would deliver snow, yes the SSTs in the Irish sea are a little high but if we get our -10c 850hpas that will just mean juicier snow showers ;)

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I think I have to agree with SU on this one, It could all change again in the next few runs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

All eyes on the ECM 12z! Will it, wont it....

Time for a reality check lads.

http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gens/graphe_ens3.php?x=109&ext=1&y=2&run=12&runpara=0

The operational run was several degrees colder than the mean between 25th and 29th.

I expect we will see an adjustment to more realistic stuff on the 18Z.

Enjoy the 12Z while it lasts. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I have a bad gut feeling that were now at the top of the rollercoaster, and it may be a long way down to reality!

EDIT: OH NO! ECM at 120hrs high sinking south, disaster!:rolleyes::(

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I have a bad gut feeling that were now at the top of the rollercoaster, and it may be a long way down to reality!

Very possible. But it wouldn't be much of a rollercoaster if you didn't enjoy the ups and downs of the ride. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think su may be right on this one . . .it wont be the big freeze we're anticipating . ..

What!?

I think you'll need every bit of your below -8 850's and definitely -10 850's initially anyway to stop that snow turning to rain/sleet at times in the warmer air the precip passes through in last 1000ft to the ground over the irish sea and in coastal areas..
    Helping matters will be that the showers could potentially be massive ones with air that cold passing over what is currently a relatively very warm sea.

This is what I kind of like about the trend here.I'm thinking folks not to get the hopes up in the initial few days of this-I mean not to get the hopes up about next weekend.
    Theres too many things that can go slightly wrong .. as to be fair to Su Campu..you do want everything on board for the last week in november for non localised interesting weather to occur.
    If the trend is for sustained Easterlies/Northeasterlies,then we will increasingly be pulling in a colder surface layer to wipe out the effect of the warm seas on that first 1000ft or so above them.
    We'll also be pulling in better dewpoints onto the sea and coast.

Patience pedwans..Patience.

12Z ECM doesnt break down the cold in FI but it's a very different run than GFS/UKMO.

Nothing nailed at the moment apart from the fact it will start to get colder early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

12Z ECM doesnt break down the cold in FI but it's a very different run than GFS/UKMO.

Nothing nailed at the moment apart from the fact it will start to get colder early next week.

Please guys C'mon what lies ahead is a bit better than 'start to get colder'
    I back weathercheck on this, looks plenty cold enough for snow.
    Dew points SU ??????

I think su may be right on this one . . .it wont be the big freeze we're anticipating . ..

I guess it depends on what you'd classify as a big freeze but Met Eireann says "at night temperatures will plummet well below freezing across many parts". :)

Once were below -5 snow is likely, initially not on coasts, but I disagree with BB. It should be snowing on coasts by the end of next week if things hold together. I have no doubt whatsoever about that. Everything is in place at that stage.

Two points about tonights ECM - firstly we would take it anyway this time of year, it's still very cold with frost, ice and snow potential.

Secondly every other model supports the GFS in the evolution to 144hrs. Even the UKMO supports it. So I would not be too flustered.

Please guys C'mon what lies ahead is a bit better than 'start to get colder'

All we know for sure at this stage is it will start to get colder. How cold, for how long & if it will be a dry or maybe snowy spell are still all in the realm of FI. :)

I think the models look very good for this time of year. Its exciting to see stuff cropping up in these runs in Nov that you wouldn't expect to see until Dec or Jan. Very entertaining for weather fans. But we have to remember that things can and do fall apart & downgrade.

• Advertisement

All at 120hrs on the main models which is next Thursday

UKMO

Rukm1201.gif

GFS

Rtavn1201.png

GEM

Rgem1201.gif

JMA

Rjma1201.gif

GME