Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolonged cold spell on the way

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

3 Day Outlook
    We are moving into a very cold, wintry spell with an Arctic airmass down over Ireland and Northern Europe. This arctic spell is forecast to last through to the coming weekend and our 10-day model gives no indication of any mild weather before the second of December. So severe night frosts can be expected with sub-zero air minima and falling possibly below -5 on some nights with ground temperatures down to -10 degrees. Freezing fog may also occur. Daytime maxima will be typically around 5 degrees but could be as low as 1 or 2 degrees next week. In general there will be a lot of sunny, clear weather around but some showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Snowman10 wrote: »
    3 Day Outlook
    We are moving into a very cold, wintry spell with an Arctic airmass down over Ireland and Northern Europe. This arctic spell is forecast to last through to the coming weekend and our 10-day model gives no indication of any mild weather before the second of December. So severe night frosts can be expected with sub-zero air minima and falling possibly below -5 on some nights with ground temperatures down to -10 degrees. Freezing fog may also occur. Daytime maxima will be typically around 5 degrees but could be as low as 1 or 2 degrees next week. In general there will be a lot of sunny, clear weather around but some showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur. :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ready for our SW Donegal rollercoaster again this year Pangea? :)
    Indeed my friend, them storms were so last week bring on the sneachta :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Think we will have to start a thread for specifics shortly. Currently Wednesday night and Saturday morning onward look good for snow at all levels esspecially in the North and East. Some mixing of slightly milder air might at times change the precipitation on coasts back to sleet or rain.........oh and watch out for ice especially from Friday! I think that definately become an issue esspecially inland. Very cold at night. I reckon lows could get down lower then -8 in some places inland at some stage in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Back on topic. Ocean FM (local south Donegal radio) had met spokesman on forecasting -10 by night and snow lightly at all levels by the weekend :)
    Very good ,was this after the news ,or was this a special report?
    -10 :eek:

• Advertisement

ECM teeing up the East and Northwest nicely for snowfall on Saturday

ECM0-96.GIF?23-0

ECM1-96.GIF?23-0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Haha, ecm at 96 Hours has a tongue of -8 uppers extending over Ireland but completely missing England.

Euro bailout? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Am I right in thinking the reliable timeframe for forecasting snowfall amounts is t-36 or so? (I'm wondering about possible disruption to flights at Dublin airport)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pangea wrote: »
    Letterkenny town i.e main street itself is on fairly high ground , not to mention mountain top.

I dont buy into the no snow near sea level stuff too much, I live a few miles from the sea here and get a good bit of snow. Maybe its because the land here in donegal isnt actually at sea level, there is plenty of hills and mountains touching the sea. What I am saying is that living near the sea isnt a disadvantage from what I have experienced.

True the town centre is on a hill but the I.T is on the flood plain which is only 20 metres or so above sea level I'd guess. Had a few heavy hail showers there earlier and one sleet this morning.

I'm in Glencar which is on top of a hill, 71m asl according to earthtools but generally if we get snow here the whole town does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

bring it on!!!

84m ASL here (Knocklyon D16)

ECM1-168.GIF?23-0

ECM0-168.GIF?23-0

ECM cold throughout. Again the chance snow showers could turn to sleet or rain on coasts at times but overall that's stunning for November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Around 230m asl here on the castlecomer plateau. The hill rises then flattens out before rising to about 330m asl.

Met Eireann are giving widespread showers tonight, they talk of sleet so that means possible snow around here tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

ongarboy wrote: »
    Kerry is one of the mildest counties in Ireland so gets less snow at sea level but as much of Kerry is mountainous (including tallest mountain in the country included in this picture), altitudes above 800 feet would see as much snow as low lying areas in parts of Ulster. Kerry's main arteries to the rest of the country via Limerick and Cork involve crossing high altitudes (eg county bounds to Cork ) and can result in snow and ice being an issue for access during winter months

Kerry does get snow but admittedly predominantly the higher altitudes of course, the whole county got a pasting on Jan 10th 2010 but strange phenomena can give localized heavy snow on the western half of Dingle Peninsula to sea level from overnight shower on a northerly wind in an otherwise dry frosty night in the rest of the county such as in March 2009 i think when i drove west from dry roads to heavy snow in Dingle town half an hour later:D The pic was Jan 11th last

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Jean Byrne dressed as a leopard... niiiice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im closely watch and indication that the low sucks some maritime airmass into the flow towards Monday, i would suggest the rise in 850hpa temp is as a result of a disturbance, band of precip.

Quick Rundown for 850hpa for Dublin for the ECM

Thursday: -6c

Friday: -5c

Saturday: -8c

Sunday: -7c

Monday: -6c

Tuesday: -9c

Wednesday: -6c

The important think to note is generally ECM can slightly underdo the 850hpas and once the cold easterly locks in Dewpoints will drops and the successive frosts will suppress temperatures, there will be also a feed of a cold Britain.

I would imagine at times the situation may become marginal on coastal counties of east, however it will be a waiting game as usual, watching the DP's and M4 buoy data.

Overall smashing charts, just the low to the South which adds instability and liklihood of lots of precip for the east anyway may drag up some less cold air at times from the continent.

Notice: I am being very cautious;)

Not a great forecast for widespread snow, clearly going to be some on higher ground but it seems very marginal for anyone lower. At ~70m I'll be lucky to get any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Starting to think it's goin to be rain , it's simply not cold enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yeah didnt look great for the weekend, compared to the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ANOTHER, disgraceful (imo) forecast from Met E tonight.
    She barely mentioned anything of note.
    This is not what the charts are showing, indeed EVEN with downgrades this event looks very serious for disruptive snowfall by later in the wkd.

Why oh why are they always afraid to mention the 's' word
    It's becoming a pain in the....

• Advertisement

Wouldnt go as far as disgraceful as they did say snow on high ground which may turn out to be accurate but like I said the other day they do seem to have a big problem with saying the word snow.

Surely if theres a risk of it (as there clearly is) then at least say theres a possibility? They only seem to mention snow once its already fallen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I was wondering which one of these charts are the most reliable!

GFS Charts, ECMWF Charts or the Uk MO.

Many Thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Have to agree they normally only mention the word snow about a day or so before, even the temps for the weekend looked higher according to Jeans forecast and a lot different to the chrats that are being posted here and netweather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Harps wrote: »
    Wouldnt go as far as disgraceful as they did say snow on high ground which may turn out to be accurate but like I said the other day they do seem to have a big problem with saying the word snow.

Surely if theres a risk of it (as there clearly is) then at least say theres a possibility? They only seem to mention snow once its already fallen

Your spot on they need to be careful not to cause snow panic at this stage,
    If the charts still look like this thur morning then we will see warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Please continue here any further discussion on the cold spell here:)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056099054

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

trogdor wrote: »
    Please continue here any further discussion on the cold spell here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056099054

2 threads open with the same title there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement