Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noire

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

turnfan wrote: »
    Prebook in Ireland:

http://www.gamestop.ie/core/common/Default.aspx?quickSearch=LA%20Noire%20+%20Exclusive%20Pre-Order%20Bonus!

Slip of the Tongue Case, one of the guys in store said there was soundtrack DLC yet to be announced.

From that link,
    LA Noire + Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus! Buy new for € 44.97 Buy pre-owned for € 46.99

Game of . Expected Release Date: 20/05/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

F1ngers wrote: »
    From that link,

hahaha SALE FAIL

Is this just pre-ordering it online tho? If not, I wil def be pre-booking this in my local gamestop!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

FGameStop wrote:
    Buy new for € 44.97 Buy pre-owned for € 46.99

It's Gamestop, so it actually wouldn't surprise me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

man cant wait for this game a new fresh idea fair play rockstar:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-main-l-a-noire-story-25-30-hours-long

Great news! I love games that have a really long story/campaign.... Hopefully it's an engaging story though unlike GTA 4 imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

eugeneious wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-main-l-a-noire-story-25-30-hours-long

Great news! I love games that have a really long story/campaign.... Hopefully it's an engaging story though unlike GTA 4 imo.

You think 25-30 hours is long for a single player game?

stuckin wrote: »
    You think 25-30 hours is long for a single player game?

Well when you see games such as Arkham City which will be a single player only game only having 8 hours, then yes i would consider it long compared to the majority of games, and I haven't played many single player games for that length of time and that article does say that the 25 hour story doesn't include the side missions and DLC.... so if you include them it will be considerably longer.

Dragon Age: 80 Hours
    Oblivion: 100 Hours
    Mass Effect 1: 35 Hours
    Mass Effect 2: 34 Hours
    Red Dead Redemption: 32 Hours
    Mafia 2: Disappointing 20 hours
    Fallout 3: 40 hours

They're my times so for me, anything less than 30 hours is short. I don't spend the entire time doing side quests and the like, I don't ignore them either. I'm not a speed playing gamer, but I like to get a bit of meat on my game. When they say 25 - 30 hours, bet your life its going be closer to 25 than 30.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They're my times so for me, anything less than 30 hours is short. I don't spend the entire time doing side quests and the like, I don't ignore them either. I'm not a speed playing gamer, but I like to get a bit of meat on my game. When they say 25 - 30 hours, bet your life its going be closer to 25 than 30.

I'd disagree. 20-30 hours is just fine for this type of game. You don't want it getting old, and the story has to move along at a nice pace. Most of the games you posted there are only that long because you did every single side quest.

I'm quite happy with 20-30 hours.

I'm amazed you got so long out of Mafia 2 and Red Dead, I got through Mafia in about 12 hours and Red Dead 19 hours 21 mins to be exact including stranger missions.... and well Mass Effect and Fallout are always going to be longer than most games because there're RPGs so imo 25-30 hours is quite long for a game such as LA Noire....

• Advertisement

eugeneious wrote: »
    I'm amazed you got so long out of Mafia 2 and Red Dead, I got through Mafia in about 12 hours and Red Dead 19 hours 21 mins to be exact including stranger missions.... and well Mass Effect and Fallout are always going to be longer than most games because there're RPGs so imo 25-30 hours is quite long for a game such as LA Noire....

The reason I got so long out of Mafia and Red Dead was that its a sandbox game, so I could extend them a little. Less so with Mafia because there was so little to do in the game. Red Dead had a little more to do outside the main story. Which is why I'm really hoping the game has some other things to do other than the main story, maybe something like cruising looking for crime or something.

As for how long the main story is, I was hoping for 40 hours at least, yes RPG's are longer, as evidenced by Dragon Age and Oblivion, but there's no reason why you can't make a sandbox game as long as 40 hours. There is just as much gaming potential if not more in a sandbox game as there is in an RPG. Just because they're different category of game doesn't mean they can't be as long as another. What I do accept is that this game is going to be heavily dependent on actors based on their movements/emotions etc.

I was just hoping the game would be a little longer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

LA Noire isn't really pitched as a sandbox game like the others you mentioned. You take a case at a time and solve (or fail to solve) it, then move on. In those other games, you're free to pick up the main story any time you like, or head off and do side quests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Mafia 2 only took me around 10 hours whereas GTA IV took in the region of 22 hours for the main story and it had multi player and loads to do outside of the main story unlike mafia. 25 hours is long enough for a story based game and I think this game will have a more linear focus than GTA and Red Dead etc.

The reason I got so long out of Mafia and Red Dead was that its a sandbox game, so I could extend them a little. Less so with Mafia because there was so little to do in the game. Red Dead had a little more to do outside the main story. Which is why I'm really hoping the game has some other things to do other than the main story, maybe something like cruising looking for crime or something.

As for how long the main story is, I was hoping for 40 hours at least, yes RPG's are longer, as evidenced by Dragon Age and Oblivion, but there's no reason why you can't make a sandbox game as long as 40 hours. There is just as much gaming potential if not more in a sandbox game as there is in an RPG. Just because they're different category of game doesn't mean they can't be as long as another. What I do accept is that this game is going to be heavily dependent on actors based on their movements/emotions etc.

I was just hoping the game would be a little longer

Fair point but i would say that it is a long campaign if you compare it to other sandbox style games although this isn't exactly a sandbox game as pointed out. but i see your point in saying it could be as long as RPGs but for one reason or another sandbox games are a lot shorter so to me 25-30hrs is a long campaign for a game of its genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

anything less than 30 hours is short..

Bull****. Youve listed 5 RPGs and 1 sandbox game, all traditionally long as they can get extra mileage out of side quests, exploration etc. I dont get this point of view anyway. Quality over quantity any day for me. Some games are suited to epic lengths, some arent. I'll quite happily play something like Mass Effect for 40 odd hours, but if Gears of War or Bulletstorm went on for that long they would have bored me to tears (I really enjoyed both).

25-30 hours for this type of game is long. Its story driven, possibly moreso than we have seen in any game before. Trying to keep a story interesting and believable for 40/50/60 hours would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I wouldn't say its long, but I wouldn't say its short either. When a dev says a game is 25-30 hours long it doesn't necessarily mean you're deffo gonna beat it in that time.

For example stuckin beat ME 1 in 40 something hours, I beat it in 14 hours.

Demons souls is a game people can easily fly through , but I savoured that game and I think its 60 + hours I got clocked on my main character and I've not even beaten the game yet. (sometimes I savour a game too much and get distracted by other games before I get a chance to beat the initial one :p)

So the game may very well have 40 hours in it for some players and 15-20 for others. We'll see.

I'm with stuckin on this though in that I hope there is a bit more sandbox style gameplay to it then has been revealed. As there just really needs to be a sandbox cop game for once.

That and it'll add more to the game and so on. I mean KerranJast comes on here and has said he's seen the game in action, but literally just tells us stuff we already know, I'm waiting for footage of the city, or some other game play footage, at this stage we already know this game has a brilliant interview style gameplay element to it, I wanna know what else it has now.

I think this is gonna be an excellent game but I'm also assuming theres a lot more that hasnt been shown yet. Last thing I want is a 30 hour heavy rain:P

So I'm looking forward to seeing some proper gameplay footage instead of yet another trailer featuring the same interviews over and over. They look fantastic, but I've seen that trailer already :p Whats the rest of the game like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There was a time when I would have agreed that 20-30 hours for a game was short. But I'm a working /commuting man, and don't game as much - or as regularly - as I used to. So to be honest, the idea of a long ( and seemgingly) unending game of 50+ hours playtime is somewhat off-putting. Give me a game I can drop in and out of for about 25 hours or so & that's enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Anyone got some examples of these 50 hour games people keep talking about ? I'd be suprised if there were many that arent RPG's, most of which you could argue that the story isnt really a 50 hour one once you take away the boring grinds that you almost have to do to progress.

I have probably spent 50 hours+ the zelda games or even some of the mario games, but to just complete those games they're probably less than 20. With this type of game, i'd be suprised if there wasnt a **** load to do outside the main story, so a 25 hour game turns into a 40+ one depending on how you look at it. Like disko said these games dont really have a set "game length".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I like the 20/25 Hours Length it makes sense cause some cases might not offer much replay value when solved.What does annoy me about Length is when the superb Batman:AA could be completed in 2/3 sittings.I'm not asking for tacked on Multiplayer in my games that nobody would play more than once.Hope to see expansion packs of new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Magill wrote: »
    i'd be suprised if there wasnt a **** load to do outside the main story, so a 25 hour game turns into a 40+ one depending on how you look at it.

This is the hope but we've yet to see much about the game outside of the interview view game play

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    This is the hope but we've yet to see much about the game outside of the interview view game play

This is what I'm saying. The game seems to be purely about the story line and while that would be fine, I would want more than the usual amount of hours in the game because its so story driven and based on the fact that its a mystery game esque I don't imagine there will be much re-playability.

Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to the game, but I hope its a little longer than has been stated

I hope for a decent length game but more importantly i hope the story is engaging and that the gameplay is good....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That last video, just wow... I'm getting more and more excited about this the nearer it's getting released.

As for game length, he stipulates the main story is that long, and this is Rockstar we're talking about, so you can guarantee there will be shatloads to do outside of the story. They woulnd't recreate the city in that kind of detail to leave it all waste on the story alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

sheehy83 wrote: »

CANNOT WAIT.

CANNOT WAIT.

Exactly what I said. Sounds like there is gonna be a bit of free roam as well. Man just gonna get stuck into this the day its out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sheehy83 wrote: »

Yay a fairly obtainable 1000 GS , I'm guessing the secret ones are story related.

Some had me boggled like 'travel 194.7 miles' and rack up 47,000 dollars of damage till I checked it is set in 1947. I def wanna platinum this game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will there be multiplayer?

• Advertisement

Will there be multiplayer?

No thank God, will be a good old fashined single player.

Advertisement