Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

mrslow wrote: »
    Anyone else exhausted???

it's as if for the first 16 weeks of training my body was on high alert, ready to pounce into action at a moment's notice. now with the taper lull it's like my body's starting to relax and doesn't like to be disturbed anymore, even if it's just for a 4 miler. Feeling a bit lethargic before runs, but ok while running.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

outforarun wrote: »
    it's as if for the first 16 weeks of training my body was on high alert, ready to pounce into action at a moment's notice. now with the taper lull it's like my body's starting to relax and doesn't like to be disturbed anymore, even if it's just for a 4 miler. Feeling a bit lethargic before runs, but ok while running.

Same here, a 4 mile run last night and my legs weren't really into it, whereas 2 weeks ago a 10 miler in the middle of the week was no problem. Doesn't help that it was a hilly route I suppose.

First marathon on Monday so I hope it goes OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    Spotted Cork Running blog has posted details of relay leg 3 (section from blackrock to centre park road.

For anyonne running this section, you should note that just after the 13.1 mile mark, you cross over a bridge, then up a small ramp, turn right, and then go over the steep narrow bridge.

The small ramp is only about 20-30 m long, but it is not all one gradient. It rises, levels off, rises, level off etc. I have seen people stumble here, as they think the ramp should be a steady gradient, but the level patches kinda catch you out, and the brain cannot react. You expect the ramp to be steady but isn't.

Dunno if that is explained well enough. If you know the ramp, then you know what I mean.

To summarise, watch your step on the little ramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Is anyone staying down in Cork Monday night? Beers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Is anyone staying down in Cork Monday night? Beers?

Yes, and lots of them :) Last year we went to the pub opposite Reardans after the race and then headed into Rearrdans later in the night. (we wanted to head straight Reardens after the race but it wasn't opened yet).

We could do the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    Anyone from last year tell me whats guna happen to me garmin watch while running thro the tunnel? do i just leave it be till i get out the other side then it will pick up signals again?
    i know indoors it asks if im inside will!

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    Anyone from last year tell me whats guna happen to me garmin watch while running thro the tunnel? do i just leave it be till i get out the other side then it will pick up signals again?
    i know indoors it asks if im inside will!

Yeah apparently you lose signal, but when you exit the tunnel the garmin draws a straight line between the point where you lost the signal and the point where you regain it. It will affect your distance a little, but not too much.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Have to say whoever looks after http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/ does a bloody good job, there's so much helpful information on the site compared to the official website.

Seriously an excellent job on the site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)
    outforarun wrote: »

yes.... i thought it was just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah apparently you lose signal, but when you exit the tunnel the garmin draws a straight line between the point where you lost the signal and the point where you regain it. It will affect your distance a little, but not too much.

But make ABSOLUTELY sure you have auto-pause turned OFF, otherwise the Garmin will think you have stopped and re-start at the end of the tunnel.

A friend of mine got credited with almost a world record mile 2 or 3 years ago because of that.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    But make ABSOLUTELY sure you have auto-pause turned OFF, otherwise the Garmin will think you have stopped and re-start at the end of the tunnel.

A friend of mine got credited with almost a world record mile 2 or 3 years ago because of that.

Autpoause should always be turned off for races. Especially when you're pacing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Have to say whoever looks after http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/ does a bloody good job, there's so much helpful information on the site compared to the official website.

Seriously an excellent job on the site :D

Excellent site, just got a look at the tee-shirt for this year...looks better than last year but it'll be interesting to see what its made of.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    Excellent site, just got a look at the tee-shirt for this year...looks better than last year but it'll be interesting to see what its made of.:rolleyes:

Where did you see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    On the link woddle just put up...flick down a few pages to before where the relay legs are been explained..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

poconnor16 wrote: »
    We are a team of novice ladies, running the relay in 5 legs. Unforunatley for me, I've had to pull out with a bad back injury so I am now looking for someone to run the 6.6 mile leg for me. There would be no cost to you, all I need is someone to meet up on Sunday when we are collecting our race packs and obviously show up on the day!

Please PM me if interested. Any level of runner is welcome to this.

P.S I am sooooo gutted I cant run, best of luck to everyone on the day. Am so jealous.:(

This has now been filled, thanks all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by a little. Added .5 of a mile to much to mine. You cant depend on your garmin for average pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)

Picked up one this evening with the 'Team Sonia' logo on it, it's an Under Armour brand called 'heatgear catalyst' if that means anything to people. I'll wear it for a jog tomorrow just to make sure it feels ok but first impressions are that it's way better than the red t-shirt from last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Has anyone found a good alternative to gels for a marathon? I've used them before and they were ok-ish, but on my last 2 long runs my stomach wasn't great and I think I'm safer without them. i got around dublin marathon with none, (had 6 with me but felt I was going to get sick if i took them). I've used wine gums and sports jelly beans which are fine for my stomach, but is there any real benefit to taking them? I'm ok with a bit of lucozade sport, as long as I don't take too much in one go. Is there anything else that is of benefit and is light on the stomach? I don't have a particularly weak stomach or anything, it's just nerves get to me and I feel as if everything will go against me!!!!
    Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Corkie100 wrote: »
    Has anyone found a good alternative to gels for a marathon? I've used them before and they were ok-ish, but on my last 2 long runs my stomach wasn't great and I think I'm safer without them. i got around dublin marathon with none, (had 6 with me but felt I was going to get sick if i took them). I've used wine gums and sports jelly beans which are fine for my stomach, but is there any real benefit to taking them? I'm ok with a bit of lucozade sport, as long as I don't take too much in one go. Is there anything else that is of benefit and is light on the stomach? I don't have a particularly weak stomach or anything, it's just nerves get to me and I feel as if everything will go against me!!!!

Personally I'd be very wary of trying anything new at this stage, I think 'ok-ish' would be good enough for me.
    Of course there was a time when marathon runners didn't have all the fancy dan stuff available to us! I would think things like jelly beans and wine gums were pretty much the only show in town in them days. If you compare the Ingredients on the back of the gels and the sports beans there is little in the difference. Your simply looking to take on some extra carbs (sugar) to supplement your carb loaded body which can only store about 2000-2200 cals, most people need 2500+ to finish a marathon. Good luck on monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    WEATHER REPORT

14 degrees, dry, Winds from the NW at 24 km/h
    12 degrees A few showers. Decreasing cloudiness. Mild.
    7-14 degrees, chance of showers, Gentle breeze, 4 m/s (12km/h) from northwest

So there you go, it will be a dry wet day, with clouds and sunshine, temperatures between 7 and 14 degrees, and the light and strong wind will be from north west.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    WEATHER REPORT

14 degrees, dry, Winds from the NW at 24 km/h
    12 degrees A few showers. Decreasing cloudiness. Mild.
    7-14 degrees, chance of showers, Gentle breeze, 4 m/s (12km/h) from northwest

So there you go, it will be a dry wet day, with clouds and sunshine, temperatures between 7 and 14 degrees, and the light and strong wind will be from north west.

I don't care if it rains as long as its not too windy, I just don't want it to be a heatwave or I'm fecked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I don't care if it rains as long as its not too windy, I just don't want it to be a heatwave or I'm fecked :(

Think we're going to be lucky with the weather on Monday, currently 20C in Cork & climbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

opus wrote: »
    Think we're going to be lucky with the weather on Monday, currently 20C in Cork & climbing!

Yes, would not fancy running it today... at my pace I'd be at about 16 miles by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

4 stars (good)
    Corkie100 wrote: »

I'd echo what sideswipe said - don't try anything new at this stage. If you haven't tried isotonic gels, try those in future. I had a similar issue with gels and tried High5 Isogel orange flavour. I got a couple in Maher's Runner's Loft (Maylor Street, Cork), tested them while running and ordered a box of 25 from Wiggle.co.uk. I tried SIS Isotonic gels last year in Blackberry and found it disgusting, so the general rule is to test a good few. As I said in a couple of previous posts... I find High5 Isogel in orange to be not too dissimilar to Capri-Sun - very close to liquid (so no extra water required) as opposed to gooey gel (which I hate mixing with water in my mouth).

Jelly's / beans / gums should be fine if you've taken them racing before and they've agreed with you. They are almost as good as gels - just raw, easily processed carbs (minus sodium/electrolytes to guard against hyponatraemia and cramping). Just calculate how many calories each sweet has and make sure you take enough (see http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Four_steps_to_perfect_marathon_fueling.htm for a way to calculate how many sweets per hour) - you may find that this results in too many sweeties for a delicate stomach.

A couple of small cups of Lucozade at the relevant stations would be good to get some sodium/electrolytes into the system too if you can bear them.

But since you already got around a marathon without using gels, I'd say err on the side of caution for this one. And good luck on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

4 stars (good)
    mobitron wrote: »
    Yes, would not fancy running it today... at my pace I'd be at about 16 miles by now...

Yeah, I went for a 3-mile run just before noon. Blue skies, sweated like a pig and found breathing very laboured. According to the Norwegian site, 22 degrees, but feeling like 25. We've dodged a bullet, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to all running in Cork on Monday. Tempature looks set to drop big time after tomorrow, so it should be a nice cool day for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Taper Hell! Some advice/reassurance/common sense needed!

Slight twinge in my calf after a 10k training run last Thursday so decided to skip the scheduled 10-miler last weekend and just do a few easy jogs this week. Picked up some kind of nasty virus last Sunday, aches and pains, headache, felt feverish but no high temp. Kids and missus had the same thing the previous week but they shook it off within 24-48 hours. I guess because it coincided with a taper it lingered with me and I'm only beginning to feel right last night/this morning. Therefore I've gone a full week without any exercise at all. Went for a brisk three-mile walk this morning and plan to do an easy three-mile jog tomorrow and maybe a light cross-train session on Sunday.

I am slow, but my training up to that point, including two 21 milers, indicated that I was on track for something just under four hours. Given the week I've had should I scrap that and set a more realistic target, say 4:15, which would still be a PB for me? Or maybe I should go for it anyway? A virus could leave me in bits if it hasn't cleared my system so maybe I should DNS? But then again, the virus forced me to get an excellent week's rest before the race! What to do?

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    Red Belly wrote: »
    plan to do an easy three-mile jog tomorrow and maybe a light cross-train session on Sunday.

Given the week I've had should I scrap that and set a more realistic target, say 4:15, which would still be a PB for me? Or maybe I should go for it anyway? A virus could leave me in bits if it hasn't cleared my system so maybe I should DNS? But then again, the virus forced me to get an excellent week's rest before the race! What to do?
    rb

It’s up to you but I would rest today/tomorrow and light jog on Sunday. As its not beneficial to do anything at this stage. You have to trust the hard work has been done and it’s a case of leaving the legs recover/refuel this week.

It’s hard to know about the target time. Its only you know what you are capable of although you have had a virus. After all the weeks training it be disappointing to DNS or DNF, so might be best to go for 4:15. It is was me I'd go for broke and aim for 4hr :D but that just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    I agree with RebelRunner, the work is done, the last week is just about ticking over. If you feel back to yourself on the day then go for 4! Good Luck!

Advertisement