Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    13C, 8 k of wind and a bit of rain for Monday. Lovely for running when you compare it to today.

good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck to all doing Cork on Monday - hope it's not too hot :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    Am i the only newbie marathon runner bricking myself?
    just read the runireland guide scared the s@%t out of me! up hill from20 to 22?
    i trained in cobh so used to hills but all my long wrongs were done on the mostly flat! im really worried i messed up here

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

elnino23 wrote: »
    i trained in cobh so used to hills but all my long wrongs were done on the mostly flat! im really worried i messed up here

Sounds like you've done plenty of hill training. You've nothing to worry about. Just try to relax, make a sensible race plan, and stick to it. Wish I could take me own bloody advice!

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)

Your first marathon is all about the experience, fast or slow, just relax and enjoy it!

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    guna be stickin to menoscemo like glue

3 stars (average)
    Not if he's been at the spicy food in that Italian he's booked on Sunday;)

3 stars (average)
    mrslow wrote: »

Its ok im a sailor i know how to stay up wind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    mrslow wrote: »

I'd be more worried about the Guinness farts :p

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the Guinness farts :p

Why do you think I'm running 15 mins ahead of you?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Is anyone staying down in Cork Monday night? Beers?

According to the email we got sent out, there is a free BBQ between 3-6pm and after part till late in the Sextant Bar. So maybe that is the place to go for post race refreshements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IOW

sideswipe wrote: »
    Personally I'd be very wary of trying anything new at this stage, I think 'ok-ish' would be good enough for me.
    Of course there was a time when marathon runners didn't have all the fancy dan stuff available to us! I would think things like jelly beans and wine gums were pretty much the only show in town in them days. If you compare the Ingredients on the back of the gels and the sports beans there is little in the difference. Your simply looking to take on some extra carbs (sugar) to supplement your carb loaded body which can only store about 2000-2200 cals, most people need 2500+ to finish a marathon. Good luck on monday.

First time marathoner here, hoping for anywhere between 4:30 and 5:00hrs. I'm from Cork but living in the UK. Very excited and nervous. I haven't done a huge lot of long runs, a few 10 miles and one 18 but I'm sure I'll get around, although haven't done huge amount in last 2 weeks, two 5 miles.

I've been using some Aptonia gels while training here in the UK but I don't think I'll be able to bring them on the flight with me tomorrow as they don't state the volume on the individual packs. So can someone tell me where I could source some gels in Cork on Sunday?

Sideswipe the gels I have been using say they contain 90kcal so from your reckoning I should be taking about 5 or 6 during a marathon?

Best of luck to everyone on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Flying in from the UK, now there's dedication IOW! Best of luck on Monday. You're obviously doing the full marathon?:P

4 stars (good)
    IOW wrote: »
    First time marathoner here, hoping for anywhere between 4:30 and 5:00hrs. I'm from Cork but living in the UK. Very excited and nervous. I haven't done a huge lot of long runs, a few 10 miles and one 18 but I'm sure I'll get around, although haven't done huge amount in last 2 weeks, two 5 miles.

I've been using some Aptonia gels while training here in the UK but I don't think I'll be able to bring them on the flight with me tomorrow as they don't state the volume on the individual packs. So can someone tell me where I could source some gels in Cork on Sunday?

Sideswipe the gels I have been using say they contain 90kcal so from your reckoning I should be taking about 5 or 6 during a marathon?

Hey, the gels should be fine as they are definitely less than 100ml. Just put them in a clear plastic bag for security. I recently packed 8 gels for the Barcelona Marathon (Ryanair flight) and no-one even checked their volume (they were 60ml which is quite big). The worst they can do is take them off you.

I wouldn't advise trying to pick up gels in cork as they are not going to be the ones you are used to. It's a bad idea to take something new on marathon day.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Flying in from the UK, now there's dedication IOW! Best of luck on Monday. You're obviously doing the full marathon?:P

Yep doing the full! I'm from Cork originally but living in the UK about 3 years, watched the London Marathon go past my house a few times and it's such a fantastic day, the atmosphere is great. I tried and failed to get into it this year so decided to do my home town one then instead. However shortly after starting training I started to get severe pains in my ITB so had to stop. The physio diagnosed that one of my hips was higher than the other so he gave me exercises to do which I did for about 2 weeks then my football season came to an end so stopped all exercises and training completely. Was seriously considering not doing the race but about 8 weeks ago thought I'd go for a run and test the knee and it was completely fine so decided to start training again! As i said done an 18 mile about 2 weeks ago so just hoping to finish really as its my first and then aim for a better time next marathon! Cheers for the wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)

I'd go with Meno's advise re flights having never travelled abroad for a Marathon before.

In relation to the amount you should bring I'd always gauge off what you used on your long runs but given the fact you said you did 1x18 miler and could be out on the course for up to 5 hours I'd maybe bring a couple of extras "just in case", if you have family or friends cheering you on perhaps they could meet you a a set point to see if you need the extras.

Here is a piece I came across re calories burned per hour for marathons which you might find helpful-

Calories burned depends upon the runner's gender, size, body composition and, most importantly, speed; however, as a generality:
    Elite marathonners burn around 1,400 calories per hour
    "Typical" marathonners burn 800-1,200 calories per hour.
    If you are asking about "calories ingested while running" instead of "calories burned," marathonners will typically take in 400-600 calories while running. The remainder of the calories burned come from the body's stores (e.g., muscle glycogen and body fat).

Good luck and most of all enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    guna be stickin to menoscemo like glue

There's 2 other 4hr pacers too, so you'll be spoiled for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)

Like already said I'd never try anything new on marathon day as you don't know how you'll react to it.....but since your coming from the Uk and if you do need to pick anything up, I'd say the best place would be the Expo at the city hall where you'll be registering....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/ now referers to the running in cork blog for the stage reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    rom wrote: »
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/ now referers to the running in cork blog for the stage reviews.

I really hope I don't run as slow as it takes whoever it is to update the cork marathon site:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    Just collected my race pack - apparently there's no small t-shirts - FFS - hope that's the only hiccup

3 stars (average)
    Just collected my race pack - apparently there's no small t-shirts - FFS - hope that's the only hiccup

I am doing the 1/2 and got a red t-shirt with navy sides. Is this the right one as I thought red was for the full ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    According to the email we got sent out, there is a free BBQ between 3-6pm and after part till late in the Sextant Bar. So maybe that is the place to go for post race refreshements?

Worth a visit I'd say, I'm running with Sonia O'Sullivan's charity team & she's meeting us there in the afternoon. Very close to the bag drop in City Hall as well.
    rom wrote: »
    I am doing the 1/2 and got a red t-shirt with navy sides. Is this the right one as I thought red was for the full ?

The one I got for the full is red with grey sides.

Btw when you're collecting your bag, check the t-shirt size before you go as I had to go back to swap a large for a medium today even though the bag came from the medium pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    I'm doing the full and got red with grey sides

3 stars (average)
    opus wrote: »
    Worth a visit I'd say, I'm running with Sonia O'Sullivan's charity team & she's meeting us there in the afternoon. Very close to the bag drop in City Hall as well.

The one I got for the full is red with grey sides.

Btw when you're collecting your bag, check the t-shirt size before you go as I had to go back to swap a large for a medium today even though the bag came from the medium pile.

Thats the one. God thats annoying. I am going to get "Did you run the Cork Marathon". "No I did the half" "Oh so why are you wearing the full t-shirt" ...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)
    to quote the running blog:
    In terms of weather suitable for a Marathon, it looks as if this will be best one in 5 years. 2007-2009 were sunny and warm. 2010 was wet and dreary. This time, it will probably be dry with light winds and reasonably mild. Good for runners, good for spectators.

hallelujah...............:)

Thanks for the advice guys! I've solved the gels on flight issue by deciding to book a hold bag, it also meant I could bring home some liquid presents for the family!

In terms of the red tshirts, are many people going to wear them? Do the organisers want everyone to wear them?

This shows my complete novice status here but do people usually pin their numbers on with safety pins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    I'll be coming from Passage east on race morning, is there any particular roads I should be taking to get to city hall (in time to get the bus to the half start) with road closures and stuff. Thanks

also where to park car while I'm racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

In terms of the red tshirts, are many people going to wear them? Do the organisers want everyone to wear them?

This shows my complete novice status here but do people usually pin their numbers on with safety pins?

Wear whatever you're used to, don't try anything new on the day!! THink most don't wear the t-shirts given for the marathon itself. Yes, do pin your number on the front of your top with safety pins- pin all 4 corners to avoid flapping!!!!!
    Great you can bring the gels you're used to. Plenty available when I was at city hall today but they may not have the exact ones you use. Best of luck on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

I'm not sure what roads are closed but it's probably safest to get onto the South Ring (small bit of a detour from Passage but not much), then the Southlink and park up at the Black Ash Park and Ride as they've suggested - I've used it before for the marathon and service is pretty good for the day - I'm doing the half myself and that's what I'll be doing.
    IOW - yep, safety pins all the way.

Have to say I think the t-shirts are pretty nice, big improvement on previous years. I think they're all red and grey but mine clearly says 'Half Marathon' on the front.
    Think the two numbers for front and back is a good idea, I know from previous years some people doing the full get distracted by relays (and halfs this year) passing them but it should be fairly clear who's who now.

Advertisement