Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    corked wrote: »
    12 Mile Marker for the Half Marathon :)

Ah 12 Half. Would never have figured that one out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

4 stars (good)
    RJC wrote: »
    I try and run the racing line every year but sometimes it's not possible - In the tunnel last year the racing line was coned off for emergency vehicles forcing everyone to take the outside of the radius. Similarly on the South Link Road - From Brownlows to Boreenamanna Road - The water station was way off the racing line - like in the hard shoulder -

If I saw the line marked on the ground - a dot every 20m would be fine - I'd stick to it like glue.

can you please elaborate on the racing line (spr?) i ran cork last year but would like to know what i missed and how to follow this?

extra road marking? what colour?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    There are no pacers for the Half Marathon

Thats a great pity, ran the GLR 1/2 Marathon last month with 1.50 pacers, which took the pressure off me having to attempt to pace myself.
    What are the chances of the half marathon runners catching/joining the marathon pacers? ( my head hurts trying to figure this one out:confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Ha ha, the caption on the first one should be-

"What the F**k is that weirdo taking a picture of"

For sure, I didn't really notice him when I was taking the pic only afterwards when I looked at it on the PC :) I kept going along the marathon route but didn't see any more markings after the 12m half marathon one.

Anyone going to Sonia's pre-marathon run this evening?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    I have accom booked for the The Best Western Montenotte Hotel on Sunday night, anyone suggest suitable parking in that area as the hotel doesn't appear to have any (might be wrong?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have accom booked for the The Best Western Montenotte Hotel on Sunday night, anyone suggest suitable parking in that area as the hotel doesn't appear to have any (might be wrong?).

Almost certain there's parking up there Cabaal. If not you'll enjoy the walk up from town and the views en route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Thats a great pity, ran the GLR 1/2 Marathon last month with 1.50 pacers, which took the pressure off me having to attempt to pace myself.
    What are the chances of the half marathon runners catching/joining the marathon pacers? ( my head hurts trying to figure this one out:confused:)

4.15 pacer for 1.45 1/2 finish but no way thats going to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

wfdrun wrote: »
    can you please elaborate on the racing line (spr?) i ran cork last year but would like to know what i missed and how to follow this?

extra road marking? what colour?

thanks
    There is no marking for the SPR in Cork. You'll just have to run it yourself - it's (relatively) easy when you know how (if only all the other participants weren't in the way! :rolleyes: )

From the USATF:
    "A race course is defined by the shortest possible route that a runner could take and not be disqualified. A given runner might not follow the shortest possible route, just as a runner on a track may be forced to run further to pass another runner. The actual path of any given runner is irrelevant. The shortest possible route is a reasonably well-defined and unambiguous route that ensures all runners will run at least the stated race distance."

SPR+B.jpg.htmlSPR A

SPR B
    The section from 17.75 to 18.5M (or 5.75 to 6.5M in the Half) looks very much like this.

You can save an awful lot of time (and distance) by running as close as possible to the SPR.

Keep looking ahead and, where possible, run each bend, in a straight line, tangent to tangent. Thats' the way it was measured. Take the 'scenic route' and you could be running well over 26.22 (13.11) Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    Almost certain there's parking up there Cabaal. If not you'll enjoy the walk up from town and the views en route :)

Definitely parking in the hotel, I was there last year when it was the hq for the Cork->Cobh run.

Just checked the website & they have both car & coach parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Yes, that really pissed me off last year, especially as I was thinking "I bet Condo measured it going the other lane".
    Pissed me off too! ...and yes it was measured right in at the wall in the other lane! ..........and I ran that leg of the relay!

It'll be coned off again this year, but the course has been remeasured. This time the Tunnel has been measured up to the centre-line of the tunnel, i.e. along the continuous white line.
    And at one stage, close to mile 20, there was an overzealous steward telling people to run the other side of the road even though the road was closed for traffic.
    I presume this is at the Clashduv/Glasheen Road junction. In the 2007 CCM relay, I practically had to shoulder a Garda & steward out to the way to run the line. F'ed them out of it too. :mad: Garda probably wouldn't have known any better, but the steward was an experienced marathoner. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Definitely parking in the hotel, I was there last year when it was the hq for the Cork->Cobh run.
    +1
    There is parking at the hotel. smallish car park near entrance to hotel, but more around the corner down the hill, below the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GaylaBells02

slight alteration i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Pissed me off too! ...and yes it was measured right in at the wall in the other lane! ..........and I ran that leg of the relay!

It'll be coned off again this year, but the course has been remeasured. This time the Tunnel has been measured up to the centre-line of the tunnel, i.e. along the continuous white line.

Does that mean last year the course was long, I'm taking a few seconds off my official time last year for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Ran the first 7 miles of the course this morning. Out at 05:45 so I could run on the road. Course is looking good - markings in place etc. Felt great to run in calm weather - kept expecting to be buffeted by a gale every time I turned a corner. The smallest of drags up onto the dual carriageway at Maddens buildings and up onto the skew bridge at Tivoli but otherwise totally flat.

It felt strange running down the middle of an empty Pana, the Mall and the quays but it will be some buzz on Monday :cool:

Let's hope the wind keeps off

4 stars (good)
    Ran the first 7 miles of the course this morning. Out at 05:45 so I could run on the road. Course is looking good - markings in place etc. Felt great to run in calm weather - kept expecting to be buffeted by a gale every time I turned a corner. The smallest of drags up onto the dual carriageway at Maddens buildings and up onto the skew bridge at Tivoli but otherwise totally flat.

It felt strange running down the middle of an empty Pana, the Mall and the quays but it will be some buzz on Monday :cool:

Let's hope the wind keeps off

Sounds like a nice way to start the day.

Regarding weather.....

Options available:
    A) 16 degrees - mostly cloudy. Winds from the W at 6 km/h.
    B) 14 degrees Sprinkles of rain. Broken clouds. Mild.
    C) 9 degrees in morning , 14 degrees later on, Gentle breeze, 4 m/s from north-northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    what does 12 H mean?

12 miles for the half marathon? Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

12 miles for the half marathon? Just a guess.

That, Sir, is absolutely correct. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

4 stars (good)
    thanks Condo very helpful

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Thanks everyone for the help with the parking, now just need to make it to Cork at a decent enough time and collect my number :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    Anyone else exhausted???

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    mrslow wrote: »
    Anyone else exhausted???

Yes - a few good nights sleep planned ahead though.

4 stars (good)
    Anyone else exhausted???

Its strange I'm tired this week yet all I've done is a 4km run and yesterday I did a handy enough 40km cycle yet nearly fell asleep on the couch lastnight

Going to take it easy and get an early night or two before Monday

3 stars (average)
    Yes - a few good nights sleep planned ahead though.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Going to take it easy and get an early night or two before Monday

I've 2 kids under 6, sleep is a gift rarely given in my house!

4 stars (good)
    I've 2 kids under 6, sleep is a gift rarely given in my house!

Have 4 kids, 2 under 5. I know your pain!

Maybe leave an open bottle of Dozol lying around in the next few days????

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

3 stars (average)
    my wife was due to do the 1/2 marathon with me but was sick for a number of weeks so didn't get enough training done and had to drop out of the 1/2 marathon. she is interested in doing a stage in the relay instead though - is anyone looking for an extra member on a relay team?

3 stars (average)
    Maybe leave an open bottle of Dozol lying around in the next few days????

I've tried that but I don't like the taste ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

fitzie79 wrote: »
    my wife was due to do the 1/2 marathon with me but was sick for a number of weeks so didn't get enough training done and had to drop out of the 1/2 marathon. she is interested in doing a stage in the relay instead though - is anyone looking for an extra member on a relay team?

poconnor16 was - see post #316

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    Anyone else exhausted???

Absolutely wrecked - falling asleep on the DART on the way home all week

3 stars (average)
    Absolutely wrecked - falling asleep on the DART on the way home all week

I wonder will we wake up on Monday morning feeling great or will that be a 20 min window in the middle of the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    I wonder will we wake up on Monday morning feeling great or will that be a 20 min window in the middle of the race?

If you're feeling great in the middle of a race, you're doing it wrong! :D

Advertisement