Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

There were some people last year who took longer than that to finish the Women's Mini-Marathon :eek:
    Don't I know! :rolleyes: Several years ago, when stewarding the Cork Mini-mar (5 miles at the time, I was asked by a group of women participants "where's the water station? We were at about 1.5 miles. I replied "It's at 2.5 miles". Their response, "C'mon girls we'll have another pint!"... and off they went to a pub across the road. They said that they'd already had 2 pints en route! :eek:

I never did find out if they finished! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

There were some people last year who took longer than that to finish the Women's Mini-Marathon :eek:

It takes a lot of time to stop, open the Monster Munchies, consume them and then hold hands again in a line.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    DC wrote: »
    Just remember that the SIS Isotonic gels (And High5 Isogels, my preferred choice in Orange flavour) are usually taken every 20 minutes (starting at 40 or 60 minutes into the race), so that would be 9 or 10 for a lot of people. And at 60ml each, they are quite bulky, so you need to do a practice run carrying all of them to make sure they don't fall around your ankles. The High5 Isogels in orange flavour aren't a million miles from drinking Capri-Sun - okay a slighty slimey Capri-Sun, but still...

Good luck in the race!
    Cheers DC.

I'm with MrSlow on this though, I don't think I could possibly consume 10 iso gels, I usually can just about manage 4 (and bring a spare just in case). I think i'm correct in saying 4 gives you about 450 extra cals, so this combined with some sports beans, ride shots and some of the sports drink provided gets me to about 650 extra cals consumed on route which I hope gets me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    It takes a lot of time to stop, open the Monster Munchies, consume them and then hold hands again in a line.....:rolleyes:

Don't forget sheltering from the wind to spark up your Johnny Blues!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭DC

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Cheers DC.

I'm with MrSlow on this though, I don't think I could possibly consume 10 iso gels, I usually can just about manage 4 (and bring a spare just in case). I think i'm correct in saying 4 gives you about 450 extra cals, so this combined with some sports beans, ride shots and some of the sports drink provided gets me to about 650 extra cals consumed on route which I hope gets me home.

4 would only give you 360 calories (352 for High5). Most gels have around 115 cals, so 450 would be correct in that case.

So you'd need to find an extra 100 cals somewhere if you've calculated 650 as what you need (I based my own calculations on http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Four_steps_to_perfect_marathon_fueling.htm). An extra isogel should do the trick. I found the High5 ones very easy to take. I had major issues downing non-isogels at my last marathon, hence the switch - and they're not much worse than drinking Capri-Suns ---- but stick to what you've already tried. I'm going for 9 or 10 on the basis that I won't have any other nutrition on route and I'd rather over than under compensate.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Good stuff, if I'm short I can always pick a few up off the road as they fall off people who haven't attached them properly;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    I took 10/11 hi5 gels in DM 08 and Pb'd and felt the best I've ever felt post marathon aswell. I did try it again and it didn't have the same benefits but I think I had changed to sis iso gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Condo131 wrote: »
    Timely reminder to everyone to run 'the racing line'.

Every year I see people taking the 'scenic' route in Cork (and elsewhere). Taking the scenic route can add quite a bit to your run, e.g. between Turner's Cross Church (approx. 17.75M and Tramore Road (approx. 18.5M), a distance of 0.75M, you can add approx. 37 metres by going long.

The only time I'll take the longer route is when I'm 'hiding' behind someone due to strong headwinds!

I try and run the racing line every year but sometimes it's not possible - In the tunnel last year the racing line was coned off for emergency vehicles forcing everyone to take the outside of the radius. Similarly on the South Link Road - From Brownlows to Boreenamanna Road - The water station was way off the racing line - like in the hard shoulder -

If I saw the line marked on the ground - a dot every 20m would be fine - I'd stick to it like glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

4 would only give you 360 calories (352 for High5). Most gels have around 115 cals, so 450 would be correct in that case.

So you'd need to find an extra 100 cals somewhere if you've calculated 650 as what you need (I based my own calculations on http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Four_steps_to_perfect_marathon_fueling.htm). An extra isogel should do the trick. I found the High5 ones very easy to take. I had major issues downing non-isogels at my last marathon, hence the switch - and they're not much worse than drinking Capri-Suns ---- but stick to what you've already tried. I'm going for 9 or 10 on the basis that I won't have any other nutrition on route and I'd rather over than under compensate.

Have you tried running with 10 gels around your waist? thats about 600g. If you do make it around it's either pull the short off you or chaff your waist to shreds from the fuel belt.

You could hide some on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    How is taper madness going for everyone? Heads banging off walls yet :pac:

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)

The formula on that website doesn't make any reference to the calories already in your system, it seems strange to run a marathon trying to replace exactly what you're using given that if your training was effective you should be able to run past 20 miles on those calories alone and anything taken along the way to 20 is extra to push back 'The Wall'.

3 stars (average)

Laugh now but DCM won't be long coming around :P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    Laugh now but DCM won't be long coming around :P

Yes, that will be fun watching you all lose your reason again in the week before it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)

Going slightly mad - flipping between being mad for road - "can I run it tomorrow"; to "what am I doing, I haven't done enough training. I am going to suffer after 20 miles. I am not looking forward to the straight road. What pace should i run."

I think the solution is to go for a run straight after work. Get rid of some of this excess nervous energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    RJC wrote: »
    Have you tried running with 10 gels around your waist? thats about 600g. If you do make it around it's either pull the short off you or chaff your waist to shreds from the fuel belt.

You could hide some on the route.

I took four gels in my last marathon & felt a bit knackered from around 38k onwards so going to experiment with taking five this time round to see if it helps. It could of course just be lack of fitness on my part as well ;) There's no way I'd manage ten!

The P&D between marathons plan has me doing something (mostly recovery runs) everyday until Monday so it's going fine :)

3 stars (average)
    Yes, that will be fun watching you all lose your reason again in the week before it :cool:

Stop pretending, you'll be worse than any of us.
    Going slightly mad - flipping between being mad for road - "can I run it tomorrow"; to "what am I doing, I haven't done enough training. I am going to suffer after 20 miles. I am not looking forward to the straight road. What pace should i run."

I think the solution is to go for a run straight after work. Get rid of some of this excess nervous energy.

I'm conviced my last hard session was me using up all my training and my body is now effectively in a post marathon condition :(

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mrslow wrote: »
    Stop pretending, you'll be worse than any of us.
    I'm not doing Dublin :pac:

3 stars (average)
    I'm not doing Dublin :pac:

Sure! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)

I'm not tapering yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

4 stars (good)
    RJC wrote: »
    In the tunnel last year the racing line was coned off for emergency vehicles forcing everyone to take the outside of the radius.

Yes, that really pissed me off last year, especially as I was thinking "I bet Condo measured it going the other lane".

And at one stage, close to mile 20, there was an overzealous steward telling people to run the other side of the road even though the road was closed for traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    I'm not tapering yet :D

Brilliant - Commence carbo load in advance of the taper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    If anyone knows anyone who is an 8 min pacer for the 1/2 it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    rom wrote: »
    If anyone knows anyone who is an 8 min pacer for the 1/2 it would be great.

There are no pacers for the Half Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks. I really enjoy the pacing actually. Nice to be part of the big race atmosphere.

While we pacers do the races for pleassure rather than financial gain, we do accept payment in the form of pints after the race :pac:

Sorry i dont drink :-) will a banana half way round do? ha ha
    trying to convince her to stand at half way with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    Sorry i dont drink :-) will a banana half way round do? ha ha
    trying to convince her to stand at half way with them

I never asked you to buy you a drink. I asked you to buy me a drink :pac:

But hey, a half way banana will do nicely in place of a pint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    I'd saw these will be welcome sights on Monday ;)

3 stars (average)
    opus wrote: »
    I'd saw these will be welcome sights on Monday ;)
    Ha ha, the caption on the first one should be-

"What the F**k is that weirdo taking a picture of"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Ok Im stupid- what does 12 H mean?

3 stars (average)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Ok Im stupid- what does 12 H mean?
    Ah come on seriously! You don't know of the famous 12H mark?

*me either:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Ah come on seriously! You don't know of the famous 12H mark?

*me either:confused:

12 Mile Marker for the Half Marathon :)

Advertisement