Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentored thread for Conn Ultra training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

liamo123 wrote: »
    It wont b long now :)

Oh, have they shortened it? :D

I suppose this is taper time now, just crammed in the last 20M yesterday and will have the Mallow 10M on Sunday just to take the edge off the taper madness. Other then that, I dont think I'll be going more then 10M over the next few weeks.

What's people's plans for the taper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Aimman wrote: »
    Oh, have they shortened it? :D

Brill.
    YOu will have to lend him your strap on !

Happy to say I got my race number as well and I have got younger. F40 ...havent seen that in a few years :D

What are peoples plans for celebration? Going to the formal do or hanging around somewhere, or just going home? Am trying to decide what to do . Dont really want to be on my own :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HTT; don't know about immediately after the race but a good few of us are planning a night out in Galway that evening.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Worth my while coming wesht for beers even if I'm not racing? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aww everyone getting their numbers makes me sad. :(

Ray better not have given my number away, I've been promised it has been retired in my honour this year. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Even though I am now off the demon drink I will hopefully be out in Galway that night. I suppose the official do should be attended for the year that is in it.
    It will probably have the biggest concentration of runners there. There isn't usually any post race party organised so this should be interesting. After missing the karoake in Barcelona I will definitely stay out for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    HTT; don't know about immediately after the race but a good few of us are planning a night out in Galway that evening.
    Yes mny many ciders will be consumed if im still alive:D

Getting anxious/excited now. Must look back and read some of last years race reports.
    Will come back to Galway too , Will be dying( probably ) and dying to hear how you all got on :D
    Pints of shider needed here too. Thoughts of them will get me up that last hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Hill, there's a hill!?!......Lookin forward now , last satrday run done...the pint will taste good.. And one way or another it sure will be earned!!!.

Spent the best part of the last 90 minutes trying to find peoples race reports from previous years ( for the ultra ) . If any of you wrote one , could you paste a linky thing please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

aigster wrote: »
    Hill, there's a hill!?!

No there isn't, that's Dingle you're talking about. :D

Spent the best part of the last 90 minutes trying to find peoples race reports from previous years ( for the ultra ) . If any of you wrote one , could you paste a linky thing please.

2007: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2007/04/hell-hath-no-mercy.html
    2008: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2008/04/it-never-always-gets-worse.html
    2010: http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2010/04/hell-conquered.html

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

I have to have been the worst training mentor ever. Sorry for my almost total absence from this thread, but tons of personal-life stuff has kept me almost completely offline for number of weeks. A quick glance back through the thread tells me that there's been a lot of training going on. My own training for the ultra has been patchy enough, but I did one last big effort yesterday which was promising enough. I havn't had the time to do the quantity so I had to try to go with some quality. Popped a 14 mile section into a 19 miler yesterday and managed a 6:06 average for that section. Was pleased with the run, but wrecked afterwards. If I don't make it back here before race day, please say hello out in Connemara. I'll be out on the course helping out the day before the race and so should be able to give a report on conditions, wind direction etc. In the meantime, good luck to all finishing off the last few training miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Great reports, TB. Really enjoyed the 2010 one...almost (!) makes me regret that I'm only running 26.2 this year. :)

Thats brilliant , Have just totally abandoned work this morning to read them. I know I will read them again so often I will be well familiar with the route before I get my feet on the road.
    Valuable lessons for us all there too.
    Cant wait for your 2011 report.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

In relation to the bag drops have ye decided on what contents to put it and where to locate them...

Atm my plan is to have 500mls of either Viper or Hi 5 sports drink along with half a banana and a couple of Fig Rolls and Tuc Crackers in each bag and probably collect them at miles 12, 23 and 31... Any oponions or suggestions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Will try and carry a bit with me though just incase....

Cant wait for your 2011 report.:D

Thanks for the compliments but sadly I have to disappoint you for 2011. I decided to have one goal only for 2011 and that is to break 3 hours in the marathon, hence, with a heavy heart, there will be no Connemara for me in 2011. :(

I'll be back. But not this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

aigster wrote: »
    Will try and carry a bit with me though just incase....

Same as....I am planning to carry about 8 gels and a few Electrolite tablets in a pouch so as I won't be in a panic if a drop-off goes missing. I'll leave some bottles of flat coke/sports drink attatched to a few bits of food at the Aid stations. Probably mile 13 / 26/ 33 (approx).

Getting nervous about the whole thing now. 39.3 miles is a long way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

menoscemo wrote: »
    Same as....I am planning to carry about 8 gels and a few Electrolite tablets in a pouch so as I won't be in a panic if a drop-off goes missing. I'll leave some bottles of flat coke/sports drink attatched to a few bits of food at the Aid stations. Probably mile 13 / 26/ 33 (approx).

Getting nervous about the whole thing now. 39.3 miles is a long way :(

Yep nervous aswell....I think its the fact that after 26 competitive miles we're( well Im defo) in unknown waters and when u add in the hilly nature of the last 13.1 its a worry...but we'l give it a lash anyway!!

• Advertisement

I seem to be a bit more laid back about it this year. Last year I had everything bought, checked packed and double checked by now and the whole strategy planned.

I reckon I'll have a bottle of flat coke (with carbo powder and Chia sees) with a Chocolate Rice Krispie Square and Red Bull Shot at each drop off.

I'll probably do the same as Menoscemo and bring the gels with me and possibly a couple of salt tablets just in case the halflings rob any of my stash.

liamo123 wrote: »
    In relation to the bag drops have ye decided on what contents to put it and where to locate them...

Atm my plan is to have 500mls of either Viper or Hi 5 sports drink along with half a banana and a couple of Fig Rolls and Tuc Crackers in each bag and probably collect them at miles 12, 23 and 31... Any oponions or suggestions :pac:

It sounds ok to me. I always had 500 ml of sports drink in each drop bag and sometimes a little extra as well like a gel.

The guys are right though, carry something with you as well and make sure you're not solely relying on the drops. Most of the time it works well but things can and do go missing.

TFB. will look forward to your alternative race report instead.:)
    Aimman I didnt realise you had done the ConneUltra before.

Can you drop your bags anywhere or is there a specific place(s) for them ? Is there a limit to what you can drop and what kind of stuff is recommended?
    Was thinking on a long late car journey last night about what to wear...for the weather of course , not a fashion perspective.:rolleyes: Guess we will see what the forecast has to offer. Will have to revisit this issue methinks.

Can you drop your bags anywhere or is there a specific place(s) for them ? Is there a limit to what you can drop and what kind of stuff is recommended?

There are aid tables at 5 and 10 miles and every 3 miles thereafter, except that the "mile 13" table is actually around mile 12 (and I have seen people run past it without realising). You can have up to 3 drop bags. They put them into a box for each table so they can't be too big, but that was never a problem as far as I know.

At least that's what it was in the years I was running it.

Aimman I didnt realise you had done the ConneUltra before.

Was thinking on a long late car journey last night about what to wear...for the weather of course , not a fashion perspective.rolleyes.gif Guess we will see what the forecast has to offer. Will have to revisit this issue methinks.

Yeah, was my first Ultra, only started my log a few weeks after finishing it.

You're better off packing for all eventualities, just in case. Ireland usually goes through all 4 seasons in one day, so a bit of everything i suppose. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    Ireland usually goes through all 4 seasons in one day, so a bit of everything i suppose. :D

Connemara more so than other places.
    In 2008 we had wind, rain, hail, snow and sun shine, all during the one race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Hey
    Just wanted to wish you all the best for Connmemara next week.
    Have been following all of your posts (in a jaw dropping, amazed look on my face way!!!:D)

Looking forward to reading all your posts afterwards, it must be such an acheivment.

I will be thinking of you next Sunday and urging you all on (oh and I have warned all of my friends doing half NOT to touch anybody's stuff!!!:p)

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks for the compliments but sadly I have to disappoint you for 2011. I decided to have one goal only for 2011 and that is to break 3 hours in the marathon, hence, with a heavy heart, there will be no Connemara for me in 2011. :(

I'll be back. But not this year.

Great minds think alike. Up until this weekend I was pretty disappointed to be missing out this year but sometimes you've to concentrate on other goals. Although mine aren't as fast as yours!

Best of luck to everyone doing this next week, it is such a special, special day. Especially if it's your first real ultra(50k etc etc.. :pac: )

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Especially if it's your first real ultra(50k etc etc.. :pac: )
    Saucer of milk for table 3 :pac:;)

Good luck to everyone next week! Not gonna lie, I'm kinda jealous of ye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Connemara more so than other places.
    In 2008 we had wind, rain, hail, snow and sun shine, all during the one race.

I was there for that one. I remember going to start line on the bus and looking out the window at the snow on the hills and mountains in the area around us, I then finished the marathon with some sun burn on my face.

Advertisement