Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentored thread for Conn Ultra training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Sorry to hear that wally..
    Well I did marathon distance today in 4.15.... Which for me is really good.... But My plan would be to aim at 4.30 ish...( Still a bit uncertain on that,)
    And take it from there,tried some cereal bars today and gels... On any other day I'd rather starve.. But on a lsr they're yummy( kind of!)
    as we get closer I'd be greatfull to hear any taper advice.. It's one of my many Achilles.... !!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Just to update I am still up for this. It will be me, another and I think Aimman?
    Any thoughts on start time? I will open with 10.30 in Howth?

Not sure if I can make 12th.... Have you a time in mind ?... I am hopin to do another 30 and I'm thinking 17th might be a bit closer to conn Than I'd prefer,as I do take a while to recover... I normally run in ph. Park as a non driver I can build it in to my route.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Just to update I am still up for this. It will be me, another and I think Aimman?
    Any thoughts on start time? I will open with 10.30 in Howth?

I think Oisin and Menoscemo are still coming with us, but they are on their way back from the Barcelona Marathon today, I'll check with them later. I'll be leaving the car in Greystones and taking the Dart to Howth. Only problem is that its a 90 min journey via Dart. I think if catch the 9:30 Dart, I'll arrive in Howth just before 11.

Looks like it's going to be a cold weekend with chance of Snow. Have to wrap up well, but will mean more pockets to cary stuff. :D

Back into the winter gear......

• Advertisement

My 'other' is also back from Spain, there will be some chat so. We will go with 11.00 if that suits the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Im still planning a run around Connemara on the 19th if anyone is interested ? There will be a few gathering for it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Aimman wrote: »
    I think Oisin and Menoscemo are still coming with us, but they are on their way back from the Barcelona Marathon today, I'll check with them later. I'll be leaving the car in Greystones and taking the Dart to Howth. Only problem is that its a 90 min journey via Dart. I think if catch the 9:30 Dart, I'll arrive in Howth just before 11.

Looks like it's going to be a cold weekend with chance of Snow. Have to wrap up well, but will mean more pockets to cary stuff. :D

yep. I am definately up for this one. I think Oisin can't make it because of work.

menoscemo wrote: »
    yep. I am definately up for this one. I think Oisin can't make it because of work.

He's probably worried about the pace being too slow for him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

He's probably worried about the pace being too slow for him. :D
    Yeah no good for me im afraid. Cant get anymore time off work. Not to worry you guys plough ahead ill do something on sunday.

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah no good for me im afraid. Cant get anymore time off work. Not to worry you guys plough ahead ill do something on sunday.

Sure I'll probably be still doing the run on Sunday, you can catch up with me. :-)

This is just a quick and rough plan for Saturday, it is not set in stone but I am guessing we need to set some parameters:

1. Meet for a 11.00 am departure from the Dart Station in Howth.
    2. Pretty much along the coast road/Dart line to Bray/Greystones (30 mile target). Keep the Irish sea of your left!
    3. Pick up drinks, nibbles along the way. Same for restrooms.
    4. I may take in the two piers in Dun Laoghaire and some loops in Shanganagh Park so I can end in Bray rather than Greystones. Option also of the South Bull wall.
    5. Those who plan to end in Greystones could park in the Dart car park and take the train to Howth,(9.30 train) therefore have a change of clothes in the car and I think there was talk of showers in the sports track at Greystones.
    6. Ditto if you want to end in Bray, I can provide showers/lunch.
    7. We should exchange mobile numbers and I guess carry them with us and some money, less we need to change plans along the way etc.
    8. Pace, I think I will be 10.00 minute miles and I guess you can be whatever you like.

I may take in the two piers in Dun Laoghaire and some loops in Shanganagh Park so I can end in Bray rather than Greystones. Option also of the South Bull wall.
    5. Those who plan to end in Greystones could park in the Dart car park and take the train to Howth,(9.30 train) therefore have a change of clothes in the car and I think there was talk of showers in the sports track at Greystones.

Me and Menoscemo might stop at Bray too if I can leave the car for free. Is there free parking along the promenade or by the amusements?

You boys are btter off having a lie in. You dont want to be running 30 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

You boys are btter off having a lie in. You dont need to be running 30 miles.
    ;)

There is free parking below the dart station but it can get sea spray! Otherwise I am sure the day rate in the Dart Car park is something like €4.00?

There is free parking below the dart station but it can get sea spray! Otherwise I am sure the day rate in the Dart Car park is something like €4.00?

Thats Fine. Menoscemo usually runs out of salt at 30M, he can lick the paintwork when we finish! I'll get free parking and a clean car. Double bonus!!! :-)

Thats Fine. Menoscemo usually runs out of salt at 30M, he can lick the paintwork when we finish! I'll get free parking and a clean car. Double bonus!!! :-)
    haha:D

Just wondering Wally Runs, Do you have a 30M run already plotted out to arrive in Bray?

Any advice on final few weeks
    tapers for the newbies!!!!?....
    Cheers.!

• Advertisement

aigster wrote: »
    Any advice on final few weeks
    tapers for the newbies!!!!?....
    Cheers.!

I'm a newbie too but my plan is a 20 miler this weekend, a 10 mile race next weekend and then pretty much take it easy for the final 2 weeks. What about yourself?

I'm a newbie too but my plan is a 20 miler this weekend, a 10 mile race next weekend and then pretty much take it easy for the final 2 weeks. What about yourself?
    You doing to 20 on saturday meno?
    IF so you doing in the park?

That's about right.... Allthough I'll do the 20 pAddys...as weekend a bit packed up....Just unsure , do I try doin the 20 at my expected pace or a bit quicker...as satrdays run was 29 mile...lost a mile!!!!?!! I haven't done back to back lsr s but I'm hopin I've eneogh done.... Lookin forward to a satrday lie in!!..... Are the race numbers issued yet!!!....?

You doing to 20 on saturday meno?
    IF so you doing in the park?

No, doing it on Paddy's day. Aigster, if you are interested, feel free to join us in the phoenix park. It should be at a nice gentle pace (9:30-10m/m)

Yeah that be good, I've been aimin at a 10 minute mile for conn ... Allthough that may change after mile 30!..Done a lot of solo runs of late .. Tough going!

aigster wrote: »
    Yeah that be good, I've been aimin at a 10 minute mile for conn ... Allthough that may change after mile 30!..Done a lot of solo runs of late .. Tough going!

Cool. We are meeting at 9am in the papal Cross car park if that suits?

That Sounds good....cheers hope to see you there...I'm guessing 9 am paddys day... Should be easy to work out whose who!!! Cheers!!

No, doing it on Paddy's day. Aigster, if you are interested, feel free to join us in the phoenix park. It should be at a nice gentle pace (9:30-10m/m)
    In work the night before so i cant but enjoy, ill have to do mine solo on saturday:p

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Just received Email with race number etc...It wont b long now :)

• Advertisement

Category . Senior.... Great now it's official I'm slow and old!!

Advertisement