Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mentored thread for Conn Ultra training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Folks,

I'll be up in Dublin on either the 9th or 10th of December next (Thursday and Friday) and as usual I'll be getting a run in in the Phoenix Park at some stage. If it suited anyone on the thread to join me for the run I'd be glad of the company and I've always found that a run is a great time to swap tricks and tips on training.

If we could get some sort of a group run going it'd be great, but even a couple of runners would be worthwhile. I suppose we could run loops to suit different starting times and people who want to run longer or shorter.

Anyy suggestions/takers?

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Connemara more a long marathon than a real ultra.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Folks,

I'll be up in Dublin on either the 9th or 10th of December next (Thursday and Friday) and as usual I'll be getting a run in in the Phoenix Park at some stage. If it suited anyone on the thread to join me for the run I'd be glad of the company and I've always found that a run is a great time to swap tricks and tips on training.

If we could get some sort of a group run going it'd be great, but even a couple of runners would be worthwhile. I suppose we could run loops to suit different starting times and people who want to run longer or shorter.

Anyy suggestions/takers?

Mick.

Can't on thursday or friday I'm Afraid (damn work). We usuall have a group run there on saturday mornings though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

;)Would love to but doing a group run in Clonakilty that weeekend. Next time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Hi guys, I haven't enterd yet...I have six marathons done, up to now I have only been able to train three times per week...fastest marathon is 4hr... I'
    ve done dingle twice now, this year i did it in 4.20 my best but I'm more proud of it than the four hour... So I'm no speed demon!!...and I've never trained back to back days!!!....and the thought of doing so , well the head says yes, it's what my body says worries me!!..
    have enterd a 50k in feb but with recession and the timing, I'm thinking .. Just throw my hat in and do the conemara.... Oh and running without music would also be a first.
    So hello to all , all advice welcome, I may have tapped one or two of you allready for previous advice!...( most mileage I've done in a week is 50,and I train to a 12 week plan.)

• Advertisement

Just signed up....Now if the snow would bugger off.
    I also enterd a 50 k in London in feb. But the recession may interfere in that plan..

How's everyone's training going? The run up to Christmas can be a bit of a dead zone but it's a rally good time of year to start laying the foundations for a good run in the spring.

At what stage should we be looking at doubling up long runs?
    I have a few niggles that just refuse to go and dont seem to respond to anything I try , so am going to just battle on and see if they sort themselves out as they have done a few times before. They dont stop me running, thankfully. Recent tapers just seemed to have set me backwards so am going to try to up the mileage from now and get comfortable with it.

As mentionned before, my own opinion is that doubling up long runs is very much optional, rather than essential. We each find our own way, but if I was running with a niggle myself, I wouldn't even contemplate taking on back to back long runs for fear of making a niggle into an injury. As regards the niggle itself - get thee to a physiotherapist, if at all possible.

The majority of running injuries will respond well to rest or reduced running, but not all will do so. The real bonus with getting any injury or niggle diagnosed properly is often not in the identification of the problem, but in the identification of the cause so that it can be avoided in the future.

Good advice. But therein lies some of my problem. Havent had much luck with those I have seen so far. Perhaps I just need to travel further afield for another opinion/approach. Getting very disillusioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm in a similar injury situation. Have only run 4 times since DCM; ran on Monday for the first time in 6 weeks (:eek:) and injury flared right back up again. Could just ignore it and keep running but that would probobably not be the best idea. Looks like I'm gonna have to swop over to the standard distance or postpone until 2012. I'd rather try and heal the injury properly so that I can do an IM later in the year than banjax it pushing for Conn. I'm gutted:(

Mick Rice wrote: »
    As mentionned before, my own opinion is that doubling up long runs is very much optional, rather than essential. We each find our own way, but if I was running with a niggle myself, I wouldn't even contemplate taking on back to back long runs for fear of making a niggle into an injury. As regards the niggle itself - get thee to a physiotherapist, if at all possible.

The majority of running injuries will respond well to rest or reduced running, but not all will do so. The real bonus with getting any injury or niggle diagnosed properly is often not in the identification of the problem, but in the identification of the cause so that it can be avoided in the future.

Did my first decent length runs since DCM last weekend; 14 miles on Saturday and 10 on sunday. I am planning 16 on saturday and 12 on sunday this weekend but the weather is looking like it might scupper than plan :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar injury situation. Have only run 4 times since DCM; ran on Monday for the first time in 6 weeks (:eek:) and injury flared right back up again. Could just ignore it and keep running but that would probobably not be the best idea. Looks like I'm gonna have to swop over to the standard distance or postpone until 2012. I'd rather try and heal the injury properly so that I can do an IM later in the year than banjax it pushing for Conn. I'm gutted:(

Sorry to hear that griffin.

If it is any consolation, I'm planning to tackle the Conn Ultra more or less as a regular marathon, as it will hopefully be in the middle of an IM training cycle.
    Anyways, according to TFB, Conn is not really an Ultra, just a long marathon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Izoard wrote: »
    Anyways, according to TFB, Conn is not really an Ultra, just a long marathon:)

I stand by that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ive got a 50k in 5 weeks so in conjuntion with that and conn im doing the marathon distance once a week until mid jan. Its working out well for me.

first good two weeks done returning from niggles...just crammed a few hilly 8 miles together before weather sabotaged me....not feeling very productive as 8 miles is a tad shy of where id like to be....but sure no panic yet.... , my aim is to start and finish conn on same day!.

love the idea of the 30 mile in march...great motivation....maybe at that stage people could hook up according to predicted /hoped times...?.Happy Chrimbo to all....Enjoy.

(ps.if anybody could post my details in the previous box re. ultra targets)...be appreciated

Also been running for first time without the ipod (thanks Mick).

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Having a nice time myself and getting out. Bought those grips for running shoes, no slips or falls (fingers crossed) so far. Loving the snow! have most run routes to myself. I also feel well 'ard!

Slow progress but progress....Longest run at minute is 16 miles....average week 40 miles.been feeling a bit sluggish but working hard on setting a disciplined pace....not getting to carried away with miles/pace , just hoping to stay on target... Target ... Complete a 50 k in feb(behind schedule) and finish Connemara....enjoying it so far ..And groin injury behaving .. So far..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dietryin

progress seems to be going backwards at the moment rather than foward....lots of family stuff going on so its hard to find the time for even an 8miler at the mo! Am feeling a little stressed about my training so everything seems to be going astry and its only the first week!!

So being positive if I can only do 8 miles I'm going to make them the best 8 miles ever and just try do the best I can till the family situtation is resolved! Happy new year to everyone and good running.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I reckon we are all going back and forth at this point so you are not alone. The plan took a hammering over the break (but hey, that is what Christmas is all about, right!). Hang in there!

• Advertisement

Phew thanks for that! It's so good to know I'm not the only one thats having a though time with the training and its hard to stay positive with so much going on outside of your control!!

thanks for the suport xx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Just as a warning, don't use this as an excuse to get slack on training and then never pick it up again.

I've got 4 children, one of which woke at 12:30, 2:30, 4:00, 5:00 and 6:00 last night, each time required cleaning up the result of a tummy bug, and apart from the first incident his lucky mother kept sleeping peacefully through all the mayhem.

I still managed to run 10 miles before work.

Wise words Thomas. Sometimes the 'best 8 miles ever' are the quiet slow 8 miles that you got done rather than the 20 miler that you planned to do but didn't. Hang tough dietryin!

Hey lads, training going good. Managed to get in 3 weekends of double long runs so far (14-10, 16-12, 20-16). I Have been running one of the two long runs with a slower group slower than planned ultra pace (9:30/mile) and the other by myself/with someone faster at faster than planned ultra pace (8:30/mile). This seems to be working as the pace is not taxing 2 days in a row. Hoping to do double 18 milers this weekend in similar vein to the last few weeks (saturday fastish, sunday slow).

Anyway we were talking earlier about doing a group 30 miler in Phoenix park at some stage. I propose the weekend of 19/20 March. preferably Saturday 19th march. This gives those of us doing the Barcelona marathon 2 weeks to recover before it. It also gives us a 3 week taper for Conn afterwards. As I said before we can do 3 laps of 10 miles as that allows us to grab supplies from the cars each lap. Also I know some people doing the Marathon at conn who would come along and use this run as their last 20 miler. What do ye all think?

I'd be keen to try the 30 in march... Allthough my mileage well off much of what I'm reAding here , but I'm sure there'll be many in same boat ... Barring unforseen I can do a sat or Sunday but I'd rather satrday.....

That date in March looks good to me. Count me in...

Well done to all for keeping it ticking over during the holidays. We got badly hit with snow and ice here in the West. Believe me there were a fair few 'Yak-Trak' miles clocked up around the fields of Athenry this Christmas.

Have just a few weeks left now to get ready for my first outing of 2011 - a 24 hour indoor race in Finland.

Hopefully I'll be recovered in time for the 30 miler in March :-)

Best of luck in the 24hr race Mick.

Well Mick atleast it won't snow indoors!!!....so very best of luck, I can't even get my head around the concept....I'd love to hear how you mentally prepare for , and during an event like that...!...immense.

best of luck Mick . Is that the 24 hour Magnet is doing too? I reckon you both look good for a scratch close to the 200km. What date is it on and can we follow you online?

• Advertisement

Hey lads best of luck with your 24hour race be great to hear how you are getting on if we can follow on line as HTT suggests. Also can do the run in the park and I like the idea of the 3x10 mile laps as it means the slower of us will still have the suport and company of the all the runners while we all still can do our own pace. Though mine will defo not be anything like 8.30/9.30 pace but hey i can dream cant I ;)

Advertisement