Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yea, but as it currenty stands their new tech is not implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Has anyone ever tried or known someone who tried to build a mineral oil filled case? just ordered all new parts for my current rig barr a new case!

nothings broken just upgrading, so it seems like a fun project since i have nothing else to do with the parts!

Thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

TheJims wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried or known someone who tried to build a mineral oil filled case?

I've seen one first hand a friend of mine was retiring old gear and decided to submerge it in a fish tank filled with oil works great but you'd need a fork lift to move it also any moving parts need to be outside the oil naturally and your gpu unless passively cooled would need to have its reference cooler removed and it more than likely voids any warrenty

What do you replace the reference cooler with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    What do you replace the reference cooler with?

he removed them completely and the oil acts as the cooler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've seen it a few times around the net. Tom's hardware showed it a few years back. I don't think I'd be in a hurry to do it myself.

Pics please if you decide to do it!

Monotype wrote: »
    I've seen it a few times around the net. Tom's hardware showed it a few years back. I don't think I'd be in a hurry to do it myself.

Pics please if you decide to do it!
    i move my PC way too much. it would be an absolute nightmare to shift it anywhere with it covered in oil.

IIRC, it doesnt actually give great results as far as cooling goes, and most people run rads around with fans anyway?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i move my PC way too much. it would be an absolute nightmare to shift it anywhere with it covered in oil.

Umm... Tea... The case isn't covered in oil. Its full of oil :eek: Thus the weight issue :p

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

lol! well once its set up it wont be moved! itll be the 3rd pc in the house so itll be just hooked up to the big tv in the sitting room for streaming things...

im goin fishtank shopping this weekend so pics might be around next week!

Just reuse chip pan oil. ;) You'd get hungry every time you watch tv! :D

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Umm... Tea... The case isn't covered in oil. Its full of oil :eek: Thus the weight issue :p

har har har funny comedian is funny :p
    Monotype wrote: »
    Just reuse chip pan oil. ;) You'd get hungry every time you watch tv! :D

yea it'll smell lovely when the PC gets hot :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Shamelesly stolen from reddit:

wTTck.png

I think a small form factor case and board would make a better comparison.
    You're mostly paying for the brand like people who will blindly buy alienware. You can get nice gaming laptops for half that minus the fancy LCD keyboard section, but I don't think that's worth €1000.

Usually I'd complain about ridiculously overpriced computers on adverts, but for once theres a bargain. If I could afford to pick it up I definitely would:

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/powerful-gaming-pc/825290

The 570 + Windows 7 Ultimate alone would make up most of the cost. Shame its probably an OEM license so you can't carry it over from that computer.

Decent for games in mind. The 570 alone is worth quite a bit and I see you get a monitor. Very good for someone on a tighter budget.

Yay stickies are kinda back! Being mostly on my mobile I never understood the problem anyway.

Edit : ah nvm I could have sworn the 'how to ask for help ' was stickied but now Ira's not? Is someone trying to confuse me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can the mods merge the charter and FAQ into one thread? Seems a bit pointless having two, single-post, stickied threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys which is better AMD 64 OR AMD 64 X 2 5600 processor.

Anybody got experience with using a car seat as a desk chair? Sick of this wooden thing I have.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    Anybody got experience with using a car seat as a desk chair? Sick of this wooden thing I have.
    ha what car seat? get something like a BMW 7 series seat (with the electric massager)

like a BOSS.

Sure, if it takes molex.

I'm wondering if I could get something cheap from a scrap yard, around €20 or so.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Sure, if it takes molex.

I'm wondering if I could get something cheap from a scrap yard, around €20 or so.
    sounds like a great idea tbh. id be interested myself if you get on well. and im sure it can be converted to molex seeing as it'll be a DC motor??!!

I'm hosting a game of mafia in one of the other boards but its pretty dead there :P If anyone is interested you should head over and sign up, its great craic. I play lot on another forum and its always been something I've wanted to try out here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056444056

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I have a MSi 6950 2GB and I noticed when doing the default furmark test the screen kind of tears at certain points.

I had another spare 6950 card and tested that out in the same system and got tearing also so I would imagine its OK? Furmark is running at 30 FPS so It would not be the usual cause of tearing.
    Games that I played (BFBC2 and TF2) seem fine with V-SYNC enabled BTW.

On a side note, I like how MSi advertise that there cards will not explode

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=s27hp1&s=5 :P

Amazon.co.uk, you are the biggest load of f***ing w***ing arseholes this Earth has ever seen.

€17 shipping on a bag of cable clips costing less than €2. A collection of bits costing less than €20 and weighing less than 100g? You f***ers added over €60 to the delivery cost on the very last page of the checkout.

You have it in your power to display such information long before then. Indeed, you make it look like the subtotal on the penultimate page tells you the subtotal including shipping. The real subtotal is saved for the last page just below the Commit To Assrape button. Its a scam, pure and simple.

You f***ing f***ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

Amazon.co.uk, you are the biggest load of f***ing w***ing arseholes this Earth has ever seen.

€17 shipping on a bag of cable clips costing less than €2. A collection of bits costing less than €20 and weighing less than 100g? You f***ers added over €60 to the delivery cost on the very last page of the checkout.

You have it in your power to display such information long before then. Indeed, you make it look like the subtotal on the penultimate page tells you the subtotal including shipping. The real subtotal is saved for the last page just below the Commit To Assrape button. Its a scam, pure and simple.

You f***ing f***ers.

You're buying off 3rd party sellers who sell through amazon probably, go back to shopping and clikc "free supersaver". Things Amazon sell themselves from their own company nearly ALWAYS shps for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

You f***ing f***ers.
    You sure it's Amazon themselves that were selling it and not some merchant selling through Amazon? I've never had a problem with overpriced shipping for anything from Amazon.

• Advertisement

Its the way Amazon are doing it though - they refuse to show correct shipping until the very last page, AND this new total is hidden under the Commit button. It reeks of scam on Amazon's part. And is reminding me of why I didn't touch them with a bargepole for many years.

Its crazy how some items can't be purchased cheaply in Ireland at all unless you know a man with a van though :eek: That forces them into risking Scamazon and if they click the wrong button before reading all the small-print... ass-rape ensues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement