Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Does this mean I shouldn't bother building a new computer this year with 8Gb of crappy old flash memory RAM and an SSD? This will be really cool, but it's probably going to take a year or two to hit the market, won't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ChimpyGamer

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Does this mean I shouldn't bother building a new computer this year with 8Gb of crappy old flash memory RAM and an SSD? This will be really cool, but it's probably going to take a year or two to hit the market, won't it?

Well, you could always upgrade, it's really down to whether you can wait for the new memory hardware to come out :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I would guess the technology won't be on the market for at least 2-3 years (if not more) so you should be fine.

deconduo wrote: »
    I would guess the technology won't be on the market for at least 2-3 years (if not more) so you should be fine.
    haha yeah that's what I was thinking. And if you allow for the initial crazy prices to go down a bit, then building a computer in the next 6-12 months is probably the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

yea there really is no need to hold off, its at least 2 years away. its just exciting stuff. I love that it'll go through a cheaper manufacturing process than flash memory, and still be a damn sight better than flash. in 3 years time I can see there being no need for RAM anyway. ultra fast SSDs will replace their dependancy.

/need an extra 8gb of ram for a project? no problem... *uninstalls a game to free up some space*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Cool. As everyone says, you won't see this for a while. They won't give all their best cards in one go, so expect to see an abundance of half-way and crippled versions to get the most money out of people!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

This kind of toss really offends me. A bunch of Boardsie friends are oohing and aahing over it. Because its only a normal size laptop yet it has an "i7" CPU with a "2GB" graphics card.

Yeah... an i3 dual-core with added Turbo and a GPU weaker than the one inside the CPU... and this steaming pile of dung is on "offer" for the low, low price of €1400...

I hate scammers, I hate Dell, and God I hate eGay :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

It could be worse. If it were a Mac it would be €2000. :D

If it says "i7" it must be good - and isn't the size of the graphics memory is the most important thing? - And not only that but you're getting an XPS. An XPS! Also, you're paying €20 more than the dell site, so it's reassuringly expensive.

In fairness, it's not a bad laptop overall. I'd give them the €399 for it. The only thing is that I'm not sure which one you'd be buying though as there seems to be two different laptops in the pictures!
    It's nice how they listed the turbo speed as the processor speed. Maybe adding up the cores (or even the threads) would make it seem even more amazing, but perhaps people have copped onto that one?

Everyone knows that i5 can mean a dualcore with HT or a quad without it. Nary a single non-techie realises that Intel released a few dualcore i7s as well. They've worked together with grifters to scalp a lot of people that way.

• Advertisement

Unless you're dealing with them every day, you're not going to know everything that Intel have out. Anyone with half a brain should know to search to see what you are buying. Fair enough if you don't know what a dual core is and most people won't know a 3.8GHz P4 from a 3Ghz i7 - But if you have even limited knowledge you should be able to make sense of some of intel's specifications page and not buy into the deceptive marketing and branding. The IT world is plagued with letters and numbers that mean nothing just to make whatever they're selling seem better than competitors.

Not sure if anyone here would be interested in this or have already seen the thread but I found it amazing and I'm guessing most people here would appreciate the article too. So I'm gonna link too it here :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056326018

There is a link to an article about an amazing virus that was released in 2009. It's a long long article but if you have the time it's extremely interesting, well worth a read.

What's a Virus?:pac:

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone here would be interested in this or have already seen the thread but I found it amazing and I'm guessing most people here would appreciate the article too. So I'm gonna link too it here :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056326018

There is a link to an article about an amazing virus that was released in 2009. It's a long long article but if you have the time it's extremely interesting, well worth a read.

Absolutely fascinating read. thanks

Didn't think I was going to read all of that, but it was a good read.

Well, I haz a sad.

Turns out Komplett were given a faulty batch of An Post tracking codes, which means everything ordered from the 6th hasn't even left the post office yet. :'(

Trust me to order on the 7th eh?

3 Weeks for an SSD. :'(

They should give you free delivery for the mess up! ...oh wait... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

got my Corsair Professional Series HX750W today, a sexy beast :D

Its amazing how fast Amazon are. Dispatched Wednesday, received today.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

10x0817oub235wefs.jpg

Stupid stock cooler had it coming! :pac:

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Stupid stock cooler had it coming! :pac:
    I disagree. I think the stock one is the hottest of the two.

/oh lord

short review on Gmails phone that they have now and HWVS RMA:

had to call HWVS for an RMA of my 2 6950's that were broken/wrong product.

dont have a landline, and knew it would cost a fortune from my mobile, so i was gonna use skype but ive never been impressed with them for calls. always flakey.
    tried gmail, topped up credit via my VISA and the credit came through in under a minute. €10 credit for €12.50. similar to skype if not €1 more.

calls to germany are 2c per minute. cheaper than skype anyway :)

HWVS lady that answered spoke good english and only struggled on technical details (BIOS switch on the 1 6950 is broken) but she knew what i was talking about anyway and was clearly tech savvy, more than i can say for any other customer support team.

she went straight to the point and told me she can have DHL pick it up tomorrow and i dont need to print any sticker or anything, just attach a copy of my receipt. happy days.

said i should receive my replacements in a week and a half, which isnt a bad turnaround tbf and she took that im in ireland into account for it.

gmail was spot on, no problems. i could have been calling from a land line for all she knew.
    cost me €0.14 in total, and thats only because i kept ringing the wrong number :(

all round, im very impressed with HWVS, and wouldn't hesitate to vouch for them in the future moreso than i do already.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    short review on Gmails phone that they have now and HWVS RMA:

had to call HWVS for an RMA of my 2 6950's that were broken/wrong product.

dont have a landline, and knew it would cost a fortune from my mobile, so i was gonna use skype but ive never been impressed with them for calls. always flakey.
    tried gmail, topped up credit via my VISA and the credit came through in under a minute. €10 credit for €12.50. similar to skype if not €1 more.

calls to germany are 2c per minute. cheaper than skype anyway :)

HWVS lady that answered spoke good english and only struggled on technical details (BIOS switch on the 1 6950 is broken) but she knew what i was talking about anyway and was clearly tech savvy, more than i can say for any other customer support team.

she went straight to the point and told me she can have DHL pick it up tomorrow and i dont need to print any sticker or anything, just attach a copy of my receipt. happy days.

said i should receive my replacements in a week and a half, which isnt a bad turnaround tbf and she took that im in ireland into account for it.

gmail was spot on, no problems. i could have been calling from a land line for all she knew.
    cost me €0.14 in total, and thats only because i kept ringing the wrong number :(

all round, im very impressed with HWVS, and wouldn't hesitate to vouch for them in the future moreso than i do already.

Yeah HWVS customer support is great, as long as you ring them and there's an English speaking rep around. You never get anywhere with them if you try emailing.

Yea I didn't have time to waste with emails. I wasn't put on hold or anything it was the first lady I spoke to so I guess I got lucky. She was so appologetic about her English the whole way through the convo but it was near perfect.

She did say though that pictures on the website were only representitives of the actual product. Not great news, and I doubt they'll be sending me stock 6950's so let's just hope I get decent custom cooled cards.

I emailed them due to an issue with my order and they fixed everything within 36 hours. In English :D

Why are you only on late at night sol?

... or so early.

Good to know that they're easy to deal with and your google phone review (although google probably record everything!).

AFAIK Microsoft is the only company with that patent who intends on listening for key words and terrorism stuff. I think Windows 8 will have a built in Skype competitor.

Skype use heavy encryption on both ends of the call so I'm not sure they're able to record you.

Come to think of it, Google usually doesn't care for privacy laws anyway so yea, it was possibly fully recorded.

Why are you only on late at night sol?
    Monotype wrote: »
    ... or so early.

Actually I'm on most of the day, just saw this now (and after an extended period of borked interwebs besides!) :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

AFAIK Microsoft is the only company with that patent who intends on listening for key words and terrorism stuff. I think Windows 8 will have a built in Skype competitor.

Skype use heavy encryption on both ends of the call so I'm not sure they're able to record you.

Come to think of it, Google usually doesn't care for privacy laws anyway so yea, it was possibly fully recorded.

You do realize that Microsoft bought Skype right? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement