Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

Lads where would be the best place to shift a copy of Windows 7(Full, Home Prem).... I had an OEM and taught there was a problem with it so went and bought one only to realise the problem was the HDD wasn't connected but I had already opened the packing and PC World won't refund on software.

I have it on adverts and Buy and Sell but they don't seem like the best places to sell it, I'm generally looking for someone who's built from scratch as most would either have it installed, or just need the upgrade version.

E150 just wasted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey lads

can anyone recommend a gaming keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for tips useful tips to bare in mind when re-installing Windows.
    I have made a the Windows section, please take a look:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056274843

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Oh god. my friend just went ahead with a new PC purchase without even consulting me, even though he knows i love this ****.....
    Dell XPS 8300
    Included in your system:
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)
    OS Windows® Recovery Media Not included
    1 year of coverage included with your PC
    DataSafe Online Backup 2GB - 1 year licence
    Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
    McAfee® Security Centre - 15 Month Protection - English
    Display Not Included
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn software
    6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory
    1.5TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Graphics : 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6670
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Dell Laser Mouse USB (6 buttons scroll) Black
    Sound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio

all for the lowly price of.... €950 (apparently a €390 discount applied) :mad:

no monitor or speakers included, so i get to pick them :rolleyes:

Why would you possibly get an i7 (not the K version) and bundle it with a HD6670?
    the 6950 was an extra €400!!

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

atleast im not tech support for the next few years i guess.

Does anyone know if the motherboard that comes with the new Dell XPS systems offer CFx support?

and how is the 6gb RAM in dual channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Oh god. my friend just went ahead with a new PC purchase without even consulting me, even though he knows i love this ****.....

Why would you possibly get an i7 (not the K version) and bundle it with a HD6670?

Does anyone know if the motherboard that comes with the new Dell XPS systems offer CFx support?

Wow i didn't think it was posible for dell to get worse but looks like i was wrong.

Dual channel WTF 2x 2gb sticks and 2x 1gb sticks!!!!
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Any chance your mate could cancel the order/ return it?

under the tech specs here it says that it only comes with one pcie16 slot, so no xfire unfortunately :(

and that is really odd, 6gig in dual channel :confused:

game4it70 wrote: »
    Wow i didn't think it was posible for dell to get worse but looks like i was wrong.

Dual channel WTF 2x 2gb sticks and 2x 1gb sticks!!!!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    and for €400 you could get 2 6950's in CFx!!

All i can really say is that my friend is an absolute ****ing retard. ive told him several times that id build him a great rig that would piss all over the best alienware/dell XPS systems out there.

he also works in the IT industry, and is a computer programmer by trade, so he has no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

and for €400 you could get 2 6950's in CFx!!

All i can really say is that my friend is an absolute ****ing retard. ive told him several times that id build him a great rig that would piss all over the best alienware/dell XPS systems out there.

he also works in the IT industry, and is a computer programmer by trade, so he has no excuses.

Its amazing the amount of IT people (no offense to the guys that do :p) that dont have the faintest clue about hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well at least he got reduced-functionality Word and Excel with ads in the bargain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its amazing the amount of IT people (no offense to the guys that do :p) that dont have the faintest clue about hardware.

I'm a consummate hardware guy and people always assume I'm an incredible top-notch IT whiz who builds websites and codes for NASA in my spare time.

I'm not. I'm a hardware guy with some decent experience of fixing Windows. Preferably Jeremy Clarkson-style. With a hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

It's amazing the amount of IT people that don't have the faintest clue about IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Saw this on digg the other day. Those of us old enough to remember (or care) will certainly nod in approval.

b1acf986c8d902d2499bb4ecb4f3eb737d7c3984.jpeg

Source

There's a thread about this in the games section. I would adjust that a little to...

161281.png

I would agree that games used to be damn hard to get past a few levels in. I thought that I had got far on some of the ones I used to play on the C64, but looking up completion videos, you realise that you're not even close.

Fail stock image is fail :P

Added irony is that it doesn't even have a three-year warranty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Where's the best place to order a custom built PC these days? My last PC was from when Komplett let you pick the bits and pieces and OS and put it together for you and I'd like the same sort of service.
    I'm not skilled enough and don't know enough about PCs to order parts and assemble myself, so I basically want it to arrive, I plug in the cables and it's good to go.

Requirements: I'll be using it for gaming, usual browsing and downloading. I'd like it to be able to run games like Battlefield 3 with zero problems. Also it would be nice to have it fairly as bulletproof as possible. Minor PSupply problems with my current PC wrecked my head before they were fixed.
    Budget is very flexible, I'll probably invest in a 22-24inch monitor and peripherals at the same time.

A quick search of the forums mentioned Ankermann PCs as being ok? Although some people mentioned issues with after sales service.

Your best options are to
    1) Build it yourself
    2) Get someone to build it for you (there a thread of voluteers who will do this for you)
    3) Pick out your parts and pay the €20 assembly fee to hardwareversand.de

Ankermann aren't very good. I'd recommend you seek alternatives.

What is the budget, do you need a keyboard, mouse, operating system.

Finally, post all this in a new thread to get everyone's attention.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

If you're in Dublin I'd be happy to help you build one :)

[rant]

WTF Nvidia you absolute ****s your cards are only marginally better than the AMD equivalent yet much more expensive.

case in point, the HD6970 vs GTX 580. you'd be very lucky to find a GTX 580 that isnt at least €100 more than the 6970 equiv.

and the bench comparison? a few fps shouldnt cost mahoosive extra power draw and a €100 slap in the face.

and why do you always have to be so skimpy on your Vram? 1gb just isnt going to cut it in near future games, and coming out with 1280mb... is just odd.

AMD isnt perfect either. get your fecking act together with 3D gaming. its here already, stop tip toeing around the subject. im about to spend €480 on a GPU i dont want from your competitors. if you had somethign comparable, id buy it. and ive never been impressed with your driver support. why does it add so much bloatware to my PC?

does anyone else just get angry with when reading through news/reviews about how these billion dollar companies still arent making stuff perfectly by now? there is always at least 3 faults you can find in their products, something with they should be able to correct in this day and age.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Monotype wrote: »
    Your best options are to
    1) Build it yourself
    2) Get someone to build it for you (there a thread of voluteers who will do this for you)
    3) Pick out your parts and pay the €20 assembly fee to hardwareversand.de

Ankermann aren't very good. I'd recommend you seek alternatives.

What is the budget, do you need a keyboard, mouse, operating system.

Finally, post all this in a new thread to get everyone's attention.
    Thanks for the replys!
    1) I've installed a new gfx card but thats as far as I've gone in terms of getting my hands dirty with a PC. Wouldn't know enough for anything more complicated.
    2) I wouldn't mind at all paying someone a few quid to do this, I'd be a bit worried about if something broke either during construction or at a later date down the road. Might just be less hassle to get it pre-made?
    3) This was my original plan, was wondering if hardwareversand.de is the best place or is there an Irish company that would be a good alternative?

Budget is likely around 1300 ish, could stretch that a bit as I'll probably need a bog standard keyboard, a gaming mouse, Win7, possibly a new monitor.

My current PC is going ok, just creaking a little, and I like shiny new tech, so I'll probably be looking to buy a PC or order parts in the next month or two.

That's the cost of high end hardware. You'll always be paying 50% more for 10% extra performance. Or 100% extra cost for 5% more power. You see this all the time with the top GPUs and who/whatever holds the spot for top processor (typically ~€1000 for destops).

TBH, I think the prices aren't too bad. You could always do with a bit cheaper, but for €150 you can run most games at today's standard resolution (HD) while previous generations required investments of €350 or so. This is more to blame on the slow pace of software rather than a fast pace of hardware though.

AMD said they'd have 3D in their 7000 series, or so? I think that they've done a good job dragging themselves from the dirt of their 2000 series - keeping in mind that they are heavily in debt.

Things that I find annoying are the re-labled GPUs (and both companies are especially guilty of that) and messing with naming schemes (5850 > 6850) is a bit sad too.

• Advertisement

Lafortezza wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys!
    1) I've installed a new gfx card but thats as far as I've gone in terms of getting my hands dirty with a PC. Wouldn't know enough for anything more complicated.
    2) I wouldn't mind at all paying someone a few quid to do this, I'd be a bit worried about if something broke either during construction or at a later date down the road. Might just be less hassle to get it pre-made?
    3) This was my original plan, was wondering if hardwareversand.de is the best place or is there an Irish company that would be a good alternative?

Budget is likely around 1300 ish, could stretch that a bit as I'll probably need a bog standard keyboard, a gaming mouse, Win7, possibly a new monitor.

My current PC is going ok, just creaking a little, and I like shiny new tech, so I'll probably be looking to buy a PC or order parts in the next month or two.

Start a new thread with this post as the OP and I'll have a build for you in that one :)

Lafortezza wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys!

It's not too difficult and easily learned if you are willing. With a bit of patience, you could have it set up inside a day. If you get stuck, there's always a forum to help you. You'll have learned something and will know your PC better and will be better able to solve problems yourself.

I haven't really come across any Irish building company that's recommend-worthy and komplett haven't done them in a while. Komplett often have a few good deals but their RAM and PSU selections were very poor last time I checked (RAM can be easily sorted with memoryc.ie).

lads when is the AMD Bulldozer out?

Headshot wrote: »
    lads when is the AMD Bulldozer out?

AMD seem to be following in Duke Nukem Forever's footsteps with Bulldozer :P Currently its scheduled for Aug/Sep but who knows.

deconduo wrote: »
    AMD seem to be following in Duke Nukem Forever's footsteps with Bulldozer :P Currently its scheduled for Aug/Sep but who knows.

thanks for the reply

Im thinking of upgrading my computer and this seems the right choice for me
    My poor computer doesnt like crysis 2 dx 11 :pac:

hence the upgrading

They said Q2 for a long time, which gives them 3 days to release, but a vague later or some time this year seems to be period given now.
    I have to say that compatibility is looking very good for these - MSI and Asus have a list of compatible AM3 motherboards which can take an AM3+ CPU with a bios updates - 890FX, 890GX and even 880G seem to be mostly compatible.

They said Q2, past tense, and AFAIK switched to saying Q3 or early Q4 a while ago.

Anyway, Komplett fixed that pic :p And in the middle of the heatwave (or humidwave :p) I get an email from those cheeky feckers in HWVS asking me if I'd like one of their wonderful fan offers :p

I'm sure everyone has read their fav tech news site today?

bye bye flash memory. its been good knowing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I don't have a fav tech news site, I don't even have a non-fav one :(

Linky please ... :)

• Advertisement

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I don't have a fav tech news site, I don't even have a non-fav one :(

Linky please ... :)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/30/embargo-ibm-develops-instantaneous-memory-100x-faster-than-fl/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement