Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,063 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads what ya think this problem is

computer starts up but you cant click on anything for awhile (extremely slow)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Headshot wrote: »
    Lads what ya think this problem is

computer starts up but you cant click on anything for awhile (extremely slow)

too many startup processes , press windowskey+R , type in msconfig , go to startup and untick anything non essential

explains it well > http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so lads, anyone using that netflix?

any catch on that 1 month trial? will i still need to subscribe to get that 1 free month?

problem is i am really not impressed with those choises showed on website andi cant get a full list of stuff they have on offer...

so anyone here can give some more details on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's a thread about it on the bargain alerts forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509234

Monotype wrote: »
    There's a thread about it on the bargain alerts forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509234

**** it, subbed.

just checked and it does look like an good selection.

there are faulty towers, little britain etc. i allways wanted to watch all of them. i am not irish, so i only playing catching up :D. i already know father ted line by line :D

for ****s and giggles i got "Army of darkness" on now on second screen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I just registered with a pre-paid visa card with no money left on it.
    No chance of them taking money of me now :)
    Movies on there don't look that good anyway, not a lot of new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

adox wrote: »
    Got this off another thread and it works a treat. Change your DNS settings on your PS3, reboot the PS3 then enter Netflix. When you hit the Netflic icon, hold down select and start and it will ask you if you want to re enter your log in details. Say yes, re enter your username and password that you set your Irish account up with and hey presto, you are on the US store. Huge difference in the library. :)

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530-setting-up-ps3
    From this page of this Thread. If you read on their's more about setup.

Edit:Actually, it's mentioned in the Bargain Alerts Thread also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Hey, just looking to get a can of compressed air to clean out a few PC's.
    On amazon I see one that is listed as flammable :O I assume that's not air in there.

Does anyone here have a link to an online retailer that's not going to blow anything up?
    I checked dabs, komplett and I could only find a can on scan but that comes to £10. Is that the price they normally are?

Links:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MQ7DZC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g229_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1R2D8ZMMBQD1DQK3C5HT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/falcon-gaming-gear-dust-off-compressed-air-duster-300ml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The only brick and mortar place I've found them in - mind you, I haven't exactly been looking - was an office supplies place in Maynooth. Maybe check places like Reids?

Serephucus wrote: »
    The only brick and mortar place I've found them in - mind you, I haven't exactly been looking - was an office supplies place in Maynooth. Maybe check places like Reids?
    I hate walking :P

• Advertisement

I've had a look around too. Unfortunately, it looks like the kind of thing you're going to have to venture... outside *shudder* for.

The light buuuuuuurns!! :P

Thanks for helping, I may have a venture out, or I might try the flammable stuff. Better the motherboard go up in flames than me.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    On amazon I see one that is listed as flammable :O I assume that's not air in there.

Does anyone here have a link to an online retailer that's not going to blow anything up?
    I checked dabs, komplett and I could only find a can on scan but that comes to £10. Is that the price they normally are?

Links:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MQ7DZC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g229_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1R2D8ZMMBQD1DQK3C5HT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/falcon-gaming-gear-dust-off-compressed-air-duster-300ml

The amazon looks like the one I get but the only difference is that flammable logo in the red star. I dont have that on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Fluffy88 wrote: »

Links:

I picked this stuff up last week. Eur26 delivered for 4 cans. Actually posted about this here a few pages back. Realised the mistake I was making was google'n compressed air can instead of "air duster". Easy mistake. This stuff is flammable too but been using it the weekend and both myself and a couple of old Dells are still here.
    Also from what I see if your lucky, and you go to the right store you will find them in Tesco. Stock comes and goes it seems.

is this hard drive any good as an everyday use hard drive?

Someone is selling the RE2-GP Model on on Adverts for 80euro but most the reviews on Newegg.com are very poor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

is this hard drive any good as an everyday use hard drive?

Someone is selling the RE2-GP Model on on Adverts for 80euro but most the reviews on Newegg.com are very poor.

Its an old enough green drive, so not great if you want it as your boot disk. It would be fine for storage though. Probably not worth €80 seeing as its second hand and probably a few years old.

EDIT: I just looked at the ad, he's lying about it being 7200rpm. Western Digital never officially announced the speed, but xbitlabs tested one and found it to be a 5400rpm drive. Its a green drive anyway so thats what you would expect.

EDIT2: This is probably a better buy. I don't know the exact model, but if there's still 3 years warranty on them they're gonna be pretty new.

deconduo wrote: »
    EDIT2: This is probably a better buy. I don't know the exact model, but if there's still 3 years warranty on them they're gonna be pretty new.

Thanks, never saw that ad.
    Its not a boot drive though, I have an SSD for that but thats not big enough to hold games and other stuff so I need to buy a HDD.

Thanks, never saw that ad.
    Its not a boot drive though, I have an SSD for that but thats not big enough to hold games and other stuff so I need to buy a HDD.

Yeah I wouldn't run games off it. Videos/music would be fine.

Yeah I wouldn't run games off it. Videos/music would be fine.

That guy accepted my offer of 90euro inc. postage so I'll go ahead and get that hard drive.

Take a look at this beast of a gaming rig:

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/gaming-pc-new-4gb-hd6990-xigmatek-pantheon-rig/1248996

Featuring:
    -AMD HD 6990
    -ASRock P67 Extreme6
    -Antec 1200W PSU
    -Windows 7 Enterprise
    -No RAM
    -Pentium G620

-World class cable management.

Still, probably a good deal for €800. The GPU + PSU alone would make up that. Swap out the G620 for a 2500k and you've got a flying rig for €1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Take a look at this beast of a gaming rig:

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/gaming-pc-new-4gb-hd6990-xigmatek-pantheon-rig/1248996

Featuring:
    -AMD HD 6990
    -ASRock P67 Extreme6
    -Antec 1200W PSU
    -Windows 7 Enterprise
    -No RAM
    -Pentium G620

-World class cable management.

Still, probably a good deal for €800. The GPU + PSU alone would make up that. Swap out the G620 for a 2500k and you've got a flying rig for €1000.

*shudders*

Makes me want to get off my ass, buy the extension leads and tidy up the cables in my machine. Almost.

nesf wrote: »
    *shudders*

Makes me want to get off my ass, buy the extension leads and tidy up the cables in my machine. Almost.

Almost here too :D

I have to admit, my case is not the most tidiest thing. I did cable managment on all hdds, fans, CPU, etc, but I just left all spare psu cables inside case. They are really thick and there are tons of them and it will be very hard to hide them all in cable in cable managment area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've put in a bid for it. I've to build a PC at the end of the month as you probably know, and i gain allot more for the same money on that build, particularly if the software is legit, hopefully I can sell on the excess stuff and plough back a bit of cash.

ill have the most overpowered PSU of all time, but theyre not worth selling on. my server is also gonna be mucho overkill in every department except for its CPU, though benchmarks place it above quad core athlons.

we'll see if the deal goes through. ill update ye lot on the cable management.

as a side, can anyone link me to where the Xigmatek Pantheon is for sale?

I dunno, I sold my 1200W Thermaltake unit the other day for €150 (was about €235 three years ago). You'd get around €180 for it, I'd think. Pop in a good €80 600W unit and you've got €100 in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    I dunno, I sold my 1200W Thermaltake unit the other day for €150 (was about €235 three years ago). You'd get around €180 for it, I'd think. Pop in a good €80 600W unit and you've got €100 in your pocket.

interesting. I was judging it by the fact your man had one up on adverts for 4 days @ €150 and no takes. I thought it would have sold fast enough at that price.

also, I'd be moving over to trifire eventually (6990 + 6970) and your at the limits of my 850W psu there. rather over spec now and be sorted for my next gen upgrade than push my PSU @ 100% while gaming. ah decisions.

if the deal goes through, my server will be

asrock p67 (God I wish it was z68) extreme6
    Pentium :shudder: g620
    HD6450 (I've blown my budget)
    4.7Tb of HDDs
    4gb RAM
    a storm scout or xigmatech pantheon case (depending on which I can shift)
    and.... even worse than my gaming overkill, the psu, either an XFX core pro 850W or preferably my (and I suspect your choice too) M600 silent pro. ill advertise both and keep the extra. any estimate on prices I can get for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Almost here too :D

I have to admit, my case is not the most tidiest thing. I did cable managment on all hdds, fans, CPU, etc, but I just left all spare psu cables inside case. They are really thick and there are tons of them and it will be very hard to hide them all in cable in cable managment area :(

I've no cable management at the moment, I got so sick of swapping out motherboards, cards and whatnot when the system was giving trouble that I didn't have the heart to tidy it up the last time around thinking I'd have to take it apart all over again.

I probably should get around to it given that this system has been completely stable for 3 weeks hard use.

My case is the same. Trying to round cables for six fans, five hard drives, and a pump leads to a fairly messy interior.

Having said that, my motherboard is still giving me problems* - I hope it's my motherboard - so at some point I'm going rip the case apart and repaste the heatsinks. Hopefully that'll help with heat issues.

* I think it is. I'd say it's my GPU, except all the temperatures are well within check, and for the moment it's even at stock clocks, and games are still artifacting slightly and crashing (after about an hour or less) on me.

@Tea Bag, that looks like one hell of a server! Mine was/will be a G530 based thing, maybe a 35W 21xx or whatever that one is. 16GB RAM, and probably about 8-10TB of hard drives.

Edit: 2120T. 35W 2.6GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Headshot wrote: »

1500 sterling...I`ll have 2 lol.

• Advertisement

Inside the X51 can be either an Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processor. That can be complimented by either a 16GB Nvidia GeForce GT 545 or an Nvidia GeForce GTX 555.
    the core thing for Alienware is we're not willing to trade on performance.

hahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement