Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Been streaming some TF2 6v6 matches http://www.twitch.tv/atmo_/videos (very low skill level)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,038 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I never even played Team Fortress 2 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

A 16GB video card?! I hope that's a typo...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    A 16GB video card?! I hope that's a typo...

if its allienware then its not!Serious-Business.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

@Tea Bag, that looks like one hell of a server! Mine was/will be a G530 based thing, maybe a 35W 21xx or whatever that one is. 16GB RAM, and probably about 8-10TB of hard drives.

Edit: 2120T. 35W 2.6GHz.

good lord what are you gonna do with 16Gb in a server?

I'd love to have 10Tb of HDDs too but theyre so expensive I'm just gonna have to wait out the drought. deleting stuff till then... I'd love SSD in there too.

• Advertisement

A few Minecraft servers, backups, streaming, a bit of web hosting, and the occasional virtual machine. Hey, RAM is so cheap now, why the hell not? :P

Yeah, I'm running out of space on mine fast. Down to 27GB free on my 2TB drives. I'll be picking up new hard drives before server parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Headshot wrote: »
    I never even played Team Fortress 2 :o

Give it a shot, it's free!

Here's a good example of a casted match http://www.own3d.tv/vanillatv#/watch/395507

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah, I'm running out of space on mine fast. Down to 27GB free on my 2TB drives. I'll be picking up new hard drives before server parts.

Yeah keeping backups of all those linux distros is a pain. (very old joke from around here)

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah keeping backups of all those linux distros is a pain. (very old joke from around here)

Linux distros... yup, that's it exactly. :P

In all seriousness, a lot of what I have to back up IS images of stuff. My ingrained hatred of optical media has meant I've made images of all my non-steam games.

The sooner MS makes an OS that can natively be installed from a USB stick or a networked computer or something, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The sooner MS makes an OS that can natively be installed from a USB stick or a networked computer or something, the better.

windows 7 can do both of those :D

and jokes aside, I actually have loads of Ubuntu and Linux distros. I went through a phase where I installed mint and others on everything. works wonders on old laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You can't just say that and not tell the joke!!

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    You can't just say that and not tell the joke!!

Many, many years ago when we were all on dial up there was a service called IOL No Limits that charged a flat rate regardless of how much you used the service. This was obviously great for many of us. Then after a good long while IOL unilaterally changed the service and introduced the infamous "Acceptable Usage Limit" and certain people started getting letters complaining about their downloading. So, since certain things, ahem, can't be discussed on here we started getting long threads from people complaining about how they couldn't download all the linux distros (on dialup these were *big* downloads) they needed because of these new download limits and it became a running joke and a code phrase for a year or two.

So for a good while if anyone came on here to complain about download limits they were greeted with a chorus of people sympathising about the size of linux distros these days and so on.

Many, many years ago when we were all on dial up there was a service called IOL No Limits that charged a flat rate regardless of how much you used the service. This was obviously great for many of us. Then after a good long while IOL unilaterally changed the service and introduced the infamous "Acceptable Usage Limit" and certain people started getting letters complaining about their downloading. So, since certain things, ahem, can't be discussed on here we started getting long threads from people complaining about how they couldn't download all the linux distros (on dialup these were *big* downloads) they needed because of these new download limits and it became a running joke and a code phrase for a year or two.

So for a good while if anyone came on here to complain about download limits they were greeted with a chorus of people sympathising about the size of linux distros these days and so on.
    ha, now that's a good one :)
    Well I had a little laugh at it anyway, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Finally got BF3... only to find out that it requires 20GB Hard Drive space... :/
    I ordered a 1TB HDD today anyway, and it should be here Monday so until then I've resorted to backing up all my steam games onto discs so I won't have to download them again :P

Question:
    Do all my Steam games have to be on the same Hard Disk? Would I be able to have smaller games such as Skyrim that requires a lot of loading on the SSD and then the other games on the normal hard disk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Question:
    Do all my Steam games have to be on the same Hard Disk? Would I be able to have smaller games such as Skyrim that requires a lot of loading on the SSD and then the other games on the normal hard disk?
    Yes, but you'll need to use junction points (I don't remember the name of a program to assist you with this, but I'm sure someone else can help (p.s. It's not called Steam Mover or anything along those lines, that is a different program))

No and Yes!
    Steam requires all your games to be in the places that it installs the game or it won't be able to detect them.

But ... Steam mover is your friend.
    http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

It sets up a function point (I think that's what it's called) which is basically a link to another place. So it moves the actual files to where ever you tell it to and then it just makes the original folder a link to the new one. It only works with folders and not individual files so games like Half Life 2 aren't moveable since most of their files are in the SteamApps folder but works really well with most other games.

The app will also work with any folder at all, so ever though Battlefield 3 isn't a steam game if you just browse to the BF3 folder using the Steam Mover app you can relocate it's folder too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

No and Yes!
    Steam requires all your games to be in the places that it installs the game or it won't be able to detect them.

But ... Steam mover is your friend.
    http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

It sets up a function point (I think that's what it's called) which is basically a link to another place. So it moves the actual files to where ever you tell it to and then it just makes the original folder a link to the new one. It only works with folders and not individual files so games like Half Life 2 aren't moveable since most of their files are in the SteamApps folder but works really well with most other games.

The app will also work with any folder at all, so ever though Battlefield 3 isn't a steam game if you just browse to the BF3 folder using the Steam Mover app you can relocate it's folder too :)
    It seems I must have mistaken Steam Mover for a different program

It seems I must have mistaken Steam Mover for a different program
    Yeah it's just a wrapper for running the function point commands.
    There is even a setting on it that won't run the commands it just lists the commands so you can run them yourself.
    I wouldn't recommend doing it that way though, coz it takes ages if your doing a few games or if it's a big one like BF3 and who wants to sit around staring at writing flying by waiting to paste in the next command :)

There is another one that's for general junction points. MoveDir or something, I can't remember it, but I've used it.

Thanks for the help guys :)
    I'll do that first thing when it arrives.

Also, its not that hard to install a hard drive is it? I've never done it before but I assume its just connect the SATA cables and place it in the track.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Thanks for the help guys :)
    I'll do that first thing when it arrives.

Also, its not that hard to install a hard drive is it? I've never done it before but I assume its just connect the SATA cables and place it in the track.

Yep, you'll also need to format it as well before it will show up as a drive. Loads of people panic when they turn on a computer and don't see a D:\ drive next to their C:\ drive.

To format it go to Control Panel -> System -> Create and format hard drive partitions.

I'm very amazed right now, ordered my hard drive from a guy on adverts at around 7PM last night, sent the money then, and today at 1PM it arrived.
    From Dublin to Mayo.
    I wasn't expecting it until Monday or Tuesday.

For fear of punishment I won't post this in the actual bargain alerts thread
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-500w-psu-24-pin-sata-793M.html?refs=55420000&src=3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

For fear of punishment I won't post this in the actual bargain alerts thread
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-ezcool-500w-psu-24-pin-sata-793M.html?refs=55420000&src=3

I've got a load of mishmash parts that I want to use as a dev box, just missing a case + PSU. I wonder would that be enough to handle a single 65W Phenom II with no GPU :pac:

Voltage Load +3.3V 28A; +5V 30A; +12V 34A; -5V 0.3A; -12V 0.8A; +5Vsb 3.0A
    According to the specs it has 408 watts on the +12 rail.
    It's probably only got 20% efficiency or something though :p

I wouldn't even trust my alarm clock with it :D

Okay I have another hard drive related question.

I got my new hard drive installed, everything works fine.
    But now I want to set that as my default drive (as in everything will save onto that from now on) and leave the SSD just for my OS and a few programs I use very often.

How would I go about doing this? And how would I move all my current stuff from the SSD to the new hard drive?

Sorry for all these questions, I'm very good at computer software, but when it comes to hardware this would be my first build so I don't know much.
    Installing the hard drive was very... stressful :P I kept hitting other parts and was getting worried everytime I did so. Everything still works though :D

The easiest way I think to do this is just put the "My xxxx" folders on the HDD and leave the OS and all the programs you install on the SSD.

To do this it's very simple,
    Right click which ever folder it is you want to move, lets say "My Music"
    Click the "Location" tab
    Now browse to a place on your HDD and select it.
    Click apply and wait for Windows to copy all the contents of the folder to the HDD
    Now just repeat for the other folders.

Depending on the size of the SSD you might want to install some of your larger less used programs to the HDD. You can use a function point to move an entire folder (e.g. a large game folder) from the SSD to the HDD and there is programs out there to help with that. Or if you want to change the default installation folder it's just a matter of changing a registry key.

I would use Steam Mover to make Junction Points, just because I've used it before and know how to use it and it's very simple.
    http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-directory-in-windows-7-vista/

just for ****s and gigles i went to check out some gpus.

i was shocked when i sow 5970 figures...

now i jumped from 8800gt to 6870 and then to gtx 570. as you see i skipped a few generations. i was not following technology mutch then.

i just wonder how come 6 series are so much worse then 6 series... were they cheaper when they came out?

http://www.hwcompare.com/9544/radeon-hd-5970-vs-radeon-hd-6990/

i dont know how accurate this is, but 5970 looks like a way better deal! less power used, more performance... a beast of gpu!

i just wonder will 7850/7870 be faster and better then 6 series? i bet alot of people were pissed of back then to see 6 series being so much weaker.

now like i said i was not that much in to tech side of PCs, so i might not know the whole deal when they came out. anyone want to share experiences?

• Advertisement

just for ****s and gigles i went to check out some gpus.

i was shocked when i sow 5970 figures...

now i jumped from 8800gt to 6870 and then to gtx 570. as you see i skipped a few generations. i was not following technology mutch then.

i just wonder how come 6 series are so much worse then 6 series... were they cheaper when they came out?

http://www.hwcompare.com/9544/radeon-hd-5970-vs-radeon-hd-6990/

i dont know how accurate this is, but 5970 looks like a way better deal! less power used, more performance... a beast of gpu!

i just wonder will 7850/7870 be faster and better then 6 series? i bet alot of people were pissed of back then to see 6 series being so much weaker.

now like i said i was not that much in to tech side of PCs, so i might not know the whole deal when they came out. anyone want to share experiences?

No real world usage benchmarks there so not that useful a comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement