Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Ireland launched. 1 month free trial

Options
  • 09-01-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Probably of interest to a lot of BA users, Netflix Ireland has launched today.

Unlimited streaming costs €6.99.

You can sign up for a free months trial now at www.netflix.com

Currently BBC, Miramax, Lionsgate and MGM content is in place but Sony, Disney, paramount, Channel 4 and ITV are expected to be added soon as agreements to streaming rights are made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, read about this today.

To be fair, it beats paying €30 a month to Sky.

PS - And let's not use this as an excuse to bring in the whole "I'm so l33t.. I just download from torrents.. ROFL!" schtick!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll give this a spin tonight. :)

FYI, Xbox 360 Netflix Installation Instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Apparently works with the Logitech Revue too if you picked one of them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hmm, is this only for Facebook users? I can't browse to see what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think if you use another device (iOS Device / Xbox / PS3 etc), you can bypass the Facebook registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

if you use a vpn can you get american account?

can any existing users with a us account share their experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Anyone know how these work on smart tvs. Have a Philips with NetTV. Do you have to download an app for the telly? Do you use the browser?
    Had a quick look on their site. Not very informative and not a great range of recent films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Cool, been waiting for this!
    I'll check it out once i get home from work, unless there's any reason not to??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Basq wrote: »
    Think if you use another device (iOS Device / Xbox / PS3 etc), you can bypass the Facebook registration.

Is there a specific iOS app on iPhone for this? I've signed up for the free trial ... what is the best way to watch on iPhone? What is the best way to watch on HP TouchPad?

/edit/ just see there is a free iPhone app. Anyone know about the TouchPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Anyone confirmed it's working on Apple tv? I'd rather use that than the xbox. The iOS app is available now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a bit wary of the small print whereby you'd be billed after the month period is up. Consider me a paranoid xbl user.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Does everybody think it will be straightforward to cancel your membership once the free month is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Netflix CEO will be talking with Ivan Yeates on Newstalk radio tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I've been looking forward to this, but the "browse selection" doesn't seem to work.

So, what I'm really wondering is whether this will have available a good selection of current primetime US TV shows. For example Game of thrones, Fringe, etc etc...

Certainly this is going to make things interesting. I fear though that if it does become popular here, it may have serious effects on the internet infrastructure.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

etcetc wrote: »
    if you use a vpn can you get american account?

can any existing users with a us account share their experiences?

I have a US account that I got a few months back. I signed up through a us VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Just signed up for this. At first glance, Really disappointed by the selection available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Before you sign up, the below article is worth reading. Also, past experience has shown that Netflix have had teething problems. It might be worth waiting a few days to see what everyone else is experiencing before you take the plunge and end up possibly wasting your free trial on an unusable service.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-23/netflix-u-k-debut-without-downton-abbey-shows-europe-squeeze

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

Does everybody think it will be straightforward to cancel your membership once the free month is finished?

I had Netflix in the states, so really looking forward to this, and the cancellation was no problem when I moved. It was all done online and they had great customer service when I needed it. I can't speak for the Irish version of course, but just to let you know their track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Here's a list of hardware that supports Netflix by the way.

List of Netflix-ready devices:[72]

Apple TV set-top box[73]
    Boxee Box set-top box[74]
    Insignia Blu-ray Disc players and home theater systems
    LG Electronics Blu-ray Disc players, TVs (LH50 series LCD and PS80 plasma), and home theater systems
    Logitech Revue Google TV Buddy Box
    Microsoft Xbox 360, (Xbox Live Gold Subscription Required)[75]
    Nintendo Wii[76] and Nintendo 3DS[77] (Wii U support also confirmed)
    Panasonic Some Blu-ray Disc players, televisions and home theater systems
    Philips Some Blu-ray Disc players and TVs[78]
    Popbox set-top box (announced)
    Roku set-top box[79]
    Samsung Some Blu-ray Disc players and home theater systems[80]
    Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Players
    Sharp Some LED/LCD TVs and Blu-ray Disc players[81]
    Sony Blu-ray Disc players, TVs, Google TV devices, and PlayStation 3[82]
    TiVo DVRs (HD, HD XL, Series3, Premiere and Premiere XL boxes)[83]
    Viewsonic VMP75
    Vizio Some Blu-ray Disc players and TVs
    Western Digital WD Live plus Media Player

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I don't have a Facebook account,
    Under the Signup, you can alternatively sign up with email..

I entered details using my o2 card, and it says i have insufficient funds to place a security deposit, skipped it, and can at least see what's on offer, but it does still remind me to start my 1 month trial.

2m7i1d3_th.jpg

Comedies
    Classics
    Popular Picks

Pretty crappy selection. Presumably these selections are only available for the months free trial? Or is there a "page 2" etc.. on each selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

There is a VERY small link under the Facebook logon that lets you sign up with just an email address.

Just be warned if you sign up with Facebook it will POST every time to watch ANYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I can't sign in or sign up... "Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country... yet" on UPC BB..Anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Netflix app is also available to android devices. Have tested it on Galaxy Nexus (over 3G) and ASUS Transformer (wifi) and the quality is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

@Allyall No there is a lot more than that.

Sign in fully and then browse.

Im looking forward to when they get the rest of the film labels added soon.

Scrubs, southpark and top gear should keep me busy for a while and will take a look through the movies again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭cena

They don't stream sports right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Anyone know how these work on smart tvs. Have a Philips with NetTV. Do you have to download an app for the telly? Do you use the browser?
    Had a quick look on their site. Not very informative and not a great range of recent films.

There should be an app for it. Actually, I think I recall seeing one there before (Ive a 7000 series), but that was from before NetFlix was available here, so it might be for the US only

I'll be holding off on my 1 month trial till they get a few more decent flicks up - the 'browse' wasnt particularly inspiring :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

6.99 a month??? That's pretty decent. Gonna give the trial a whirl first.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fermeen

Belfunk wrote: »
    I can't sign in or sign up... "Sorry, Netflix is not available in your country... yet" on UPC BB..Anyone else getting this?

Nope , I'm on UPC BB and it comes up fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Belfunk wrote: »

Just guessing... you are logged into a VPN... going through some other country?

Ix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There is a VERY small link under the Facebook logon that lets you sign up with just an email address.

Just be warned if you sign up with Facebook it will POST every time to watch ANYTHING.

just a heads up some people on twitter/hacker news are saying you need to sign out of facebook for this link to appear as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement