Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAGATE-Barracuda-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B005F306RY/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1326231962&sr=1-16

How does that look? Reading the reviews on Amazon seems promising, but would rather get some opinions of people who might know more about hard drives.

Would I be better of waiting and getting an extra 40euro and getting something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST31000524AS-Barracuda-7200rpm-Buffer/dp/B004HBAGSO/ref=pd_cp_computers_4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I would stay away from that one as reviews are very bad!
    I can't stay away from it, it's sitting on my desk here in front of me.:p

It's a good drive. Majority of people who write reviews do it to complain about something or because something was DOA on arrival, folk that are happy don't bother.

The only thing, only thing, if I was into complaining about stuff is that it's vertical. Makes knocking it over abit easier but it takes up less desk real estate like this so...in reality it's better for it.

I put 600GB onto it in one go and it didn't get hot or noisey. I don't use it for continuos backups, I've no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can't stay away from it, it's sitting on my desk here in front of me.:p

It's a good drive. Majority of people who write reviews do it to complain about something or because something was DOA on arrival, folk that are happy don't bother.

The only thing, only thing, if I was into complaining about stuff is that it's vertical. Makes knocking it over abit easier but it takes up less desk real estate like this so...in reality it's better for it.

I put 600GB onto it in one go and it didn't get hot or noisey. I don't use it for continuos backups, I've no need for that.

Oh. ;)

What about that software? It looks prety stupid to introduce such stuff, when external hdds are plug and play for the last few years!

I got few spare quid this week, so ofc like any addict I want to spend it on my drug! I am thinking between 120gb ssd just for steam games and use 60gb ssd as windows drive and 500gb I got for storage and video recording. Or getting external 1gb drive for storage and video recording, then 500gb drive just for games...

Ah it's a hard life to be a pc geek :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Software with an external drive is nothing new. It's usually for syncing (your data between multiple PCs) and backup. Better to format it clean unless you really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads you know MSI Instant OC

How much would that increase the clock speed on the i5-2500K?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    lads you know MSI Instant OC

How much would that increase the clock speed on the i5-2500K?

OC genie you mean?

for me it OCed my system to 4.2ghz. super stable for the last month now. i know i will be told to do it manually, but it works for me and 4.2ghz is more then enough for my gaming needs.

Yap OC genie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

its usually super stable cause the algorithms over volt by quite a bit, which isn't good for long term longevity. :(

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    its usually super stable cause the algorithms over volt by quite a bit, which isn't good for long term longevity. :(

i just checked and it is on stock voltage 4.2ghz...

edit: scrap that, its not lol

How does one check?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    How does one check?

its actually weird... i set it to stock and main CPU voltage did not changed. i kept on 1.3v and i checked online and stock is around 1.2v.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Anyone know where I could pick up a Microsoft WMO or IE3.0 cheap in town? I have an MX518 (two, actually) but I'm interested to see what it is about these mouses that make so many Quake Live pros still use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I didn't like the IE3 at all. Only used it for about a day and I could sell it to you if you wanted it. Too big for my hands, I suppose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ordered a new Monitor from Komplett on the night of the 5th. Komplett say they shipped on the 6th, arrived today.

That's alright, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not bad at all, considering there was a weekend in there. What monitor did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Serephucus wrote: »
    Not bad at all, considering there was a weekend in there. What monitor did you go for?

As recommended, the 23" Dell IPS.
    Pulled it out of the box and set it up.
    Then had to go to stupid work!

Me, Skyrim and my graphics card are gonna have a nice chat when I get home, oh yes....

Happy days!

Monotype wrote: »
    I didn't like the IE3 at all. Only used it for about a day and I could sell it to you if you wanted it. Too big for my hands, I suppose. :(

Sure, how much do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

How the Palit NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB Graphics Card HDMI GPU for gaming? What level would it play BF3 on?

It'll do alright, but if you're getting it new, there are much better options available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Serephucus wrote: »
    It'll do alright, but if you're getting it new, there are much better options available.
    Nah about 60 second hand

Rest of your specs? If it's an ok system you'll be fine with it. If it's a powerful one, it'll be a bottleneck. It's very handy to have a spare GPU though, for problem testing, GPU RMAs, etc.

My poor auld razor respawn 3500 is on its death bed im afraid

Right click is a pain in the games at the moment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Bonesy. wrote: »
    Nah about 60 second hand

If you're ordering parts from HWVS, get this instead:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49395&agid=1004

Its the same price and roughly the same performance, but uses less power and will have full warranty. Otherwise its a decent enough deal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Built 2 gaming PC's today. It's not too hard at all once your careful and research a bit. Delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You lucky *ahem* I've nowhere to put a desktop in our house unless I replace the family PC and I'm not gonna spend 1k+ for my mother to play solitaire. But I'm still half thinking of upgrading it for the fun :D

Also bored so was just browsing around, I never read the first post in this thread before. Brilliant!!

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    You lucky *ahem* I've nowhere to put a desktop in our house unless I replace the family PC and I'm not gonna spend 1k+ for my mother to play solitaire. But I'm still half thinking of upgrading it for the fun :D

Also bored so was just browsing around, I never read the first post in this thread before. Brilliant!!

lol! FARMVILLE ON HIGH SETTINGS! IN YOUR FACE CRYSIS 2!

Forget Furmark. Bejeweled, on high, for hours!

Will bring any computer to its knees*

*Is completely untrue

There's an unopened SteelSeries Kinzu for €25 in Cash Connectors in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Baza210 wrote: »
    There's an unopened SteelSeries Kinzu for €25 in Cash Connectors in Cork.

They're meant to be a decent mouse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement