Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pyongyang wrote: »
    They don't hand out OBE's or Knighthoods in this gaf do they? How about an award for services to the soldering industry? :)

Yeah its called an SBE. TV already has a lot of them. Here's a snap I took while in his living room a while back

tumblr_lq4ify4OAw1qekrcno1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    They don't hand out OBE's or Knighthoods in this gaf do they? How about an award for services to the soldering industry? :)

Too kind gents, you are too kind. Hobbies are only worth doing if they're fun, and it doesn't get much more fun in the soldering stakes than a PS2 :pac:

Too kind gents, you are too kind. Hobbies are only worth doing if they're fun, and it doesn't get much more fun in the soldering stakes than a PS2 :pac:

Modesty does not become you Solder God. Embrace your new tag :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Is it possible to get the xval from a RRoD console by dumping the nand? I want to see if it was flagged for a ban (previously flashed) before I attempt any sort of repair

The contents of the XVal are in secdata.bin and I'm pretty sure they're encrypted with your CPU key. You could try extracting it from the nand dump and then opening it in a hex viewer to see if it makes any sense. I think the best option might be to write that secdata to a JTAg nand and try read the xval from there.

• Advertisement

Just picked up a Jasper 360 with blades dashboard hmm what to do with it? RGH (with dual nand) or JTAG

justryan wrote: »
    Just picked up a Jasper 360 with blades dashboard hmm what to do with it? RGH (with dual nand) or JTAG

Jtag that bad boy, plenty of RGH fodder around anyway

Jtag that bad boy, plenty of RGH fodder around anyway

JTAG it :)

Downloading a new Xbox update hopefully it plays nice with my dual nand

Edit: that's weird dashboard version didn't increment and RGH nand glitches fine

I've a Wii on 4.2E thats been softmodded for years. Will I need to update it to 4.3E to get the Netflix app off the Wii Shop Channel? Or will I be allowed download it whilst still being on 4.2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Might as well post this here ... than starting a new thread :P

Whats the deal with the ps3 and playing games these days?
    I only ask because i've seen quite a few ps3 games get uploaded recently. But I thought playing "unofficial" games was stopped by Sony ages ago?

Might as well post this here ... than starting a new thread :P

Whats the deal with the ps3 and playing games these days?
    I only ask because i've seen quite a few ps3 games get uploaded recently. But I thought playing "unofficial" games was stopped by Sony ages ago?

There are patches available that allow games to run on cfw 3.55. This is what True Blue was doing, but it has been killed off because hacking groups are releasing their own drm-free patches for games & there's no need for a dongle anymore.

You have to see if your game has a cfw patch/fix though, not every game has them...yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've a Wii on 4.2E thats been softmodded for years. Will I need to update it to 4.3E to get the Netflix app off the Wii Shop Channel? Or will I be allowed download it whilst still being on 4.2?

You can probably just get the Netflix WAD and install it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

we have saying in Poland: the better is the worst enemy of good.

I had Slim glitched with standard CoolRunner, booting every time in less than 20secs. Decided to change the chip to CR3 Lite - booting times varied from 30secs - 3 minutes, the I decided to use double shielded coax cable now it boots every second time and boot itme is around 5 minutes ;/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

strongly thinking of putting my ps3 and xbox in PC housing.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    strongly thinking of putting my ps3 and xbox in PC housing.

Why? :confused:

docentore wrote: »

I had Slim glitched with standard CoolRunner, booting every time in less than 20secs. Decided to change the chip to CR3 Lite - booting times varied from 30secs - 3 minutes, the I decided to use double shielded coax cable now it boots every second time and boot itme is around 5 minutes ;/

Not a dissimilar experience here too. Awful boot times on a falcon :/

docentore wrote: »

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Under 20 secs on a Slim is pretty good, I would have left the original Coolrunner.

RGH is good, JTAG is better

Thats another very wise old saying from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

RGH2 is pain in the ar$e, but it is better than nothing!

• Advertisement

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Been working on a Falcon RGH2 (Dash 14719) for nearing four hours, by far the worst board for the RGH2. Finally managed to crack this one I think. LK1 is soldered to disable the crystal, all the rest of them are left alone. As always the problems are with CPU_RST. I've tried double-shielded low-loss cable with no success, no matter what S2 settings are used. I've tried Kynar short and long with no success. I've tried over and under routing on both of those wires, no success. Swapped out to multi-strand like RGH1 and went under - no success. Going through the heatsink left me with a 2-3 minute boot time average and sometimes a freeze. Going over the fanshroud left me with <2 minute glitching, no freeze. Swapped to slim on the CR3 and finally I've a ~20-30s glitch most of the time. That's as good as it's going to get I think

Dash launch 3.04 is out now, fixes issues with certain games.

justryan wrote: »
    Dash launch 3.04 is out now, fixes issues with certain games.

Ffs, every single time, every single time...the next day

Ffs, every single time, every single time...the next day

Lol I'm gonna wait until they package it into the FSD installer

Trace repairs aren't fun!

What had you got? Spill the beans :D

What had you got? Spill the beans :D

I ripped the trace leading to stby_clk when wiring a Coolrunner. All better now though just scraped the trace and soldered a piece of wire to the exposed trace/resistor :)

A PS2 came to me this week with a Modbo 4.0 chip. The owner said it was working before but they think something must have been wrong with a firmware update to the Modbo as now it just showed a black screen and never booted. They bought a new modbo and wanted me to install it.

Unfortunately it didn't work with a straight swap leaving the install wires alone on the motherboard so I went for a full tear down and re-install this evening. While removing the wires from one of the ICs some leftover flux from the previous installed heated up and flowed residual solder from my iron, joining several pins together. I tried to remove it gently with wick but it didn't work. The solder sucker clean broke one of the legs off the IC right at the point it goes into the black casing :eek: The console didn't power on, I thought it was a goner but with a bit of perseverance, a sharp knife and a gentle hand I dug into the IC to expose about 1mm of copper and soldered a wire to that and then down to where the leg went on the motherboard. Success; the console sprung to life.

Here's a picture

And now we come to the thought - clean up your flux :o

Impressive stuff Danny, I said it before, PS2 hardmodding is a different beast altogether. Jtagging etc doesn't even compare to how difficult the soldering is, but if anyone can do it, Danny can!

On a semi related not, I snapped the leg of an IC on an arcade pcb before too, damn fickle things. I done the exact same thing you did, scrape away slowly at the IC casing until you see something, anything, that'll hold a bit 'o solder. Worked for me too, just about!

• Advertisement

You guys have to check out LiNK its awesome!

Advertisement