Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Got an Xbox 360 here no power at all completely dead, no visible shorts inside the case or on the motherboard I am stumped :confused: any suggestions? PSU is fine as it works on every other Xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

justryan wrote: »
    Got an Xbox 360 here no power at all completely dead, no visible shorts inside the case or on the motherboard I am stumped :confused: any suggestions? PSU is fine as it works on every other Xbox.

Have you tried these?

rac-jump-leads-large.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The SMC is wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

could need a southbridge reflow.
    Or as I saw lately from someone on the CVX repair forums they had this problem and reflowed the hana chip and it worked

On a totally unrelated note -
    Removing a nand chip by hand is a pain.
    Should have removed a few with hot air before I sold my rework station :(

EnterNow wrote: »
    Have you tried these?

rac-jump-leads-large.jpg

:D

Your on a roll today :D

• Advertisement

Your on a roll today :D

Must drink less cola :p

The SMC is wrong?

Could be smc but it isn't modded and the owner said he didn't turn it off during an update just happened out of the blue.

could need a southbridge reflow.
    Or as I saw lately from someone on the CVX repair forums they had this problem and reflowed the hana chip and it worked

On a totally unrelated note -
    Removing a nand chip by hand is a pain.
    Should have removed a few with hot air before I sold my rework station :(

Are you going to try the dual nand hack?

Are you going to try the dual nand hack?

TRY is the word :o

Did you take it of by hand or did you use hot air ?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Must drink less cola :p

Yes umm .....cola ;)

• Advertisement

TRY is the word :o

Ah the dual nand hack, where few men have gone before may the force be with you

Ah the dual nand hack, where few men have gone before may the force be with you

Well I was thinking of doing it a little differently to your one.
    I was thinking of wiring it to the back of the board in the same points were a cygnos would be installed.

Still just looking into it as of yet

Well I was thinking of doing it a little differently to your one.
    I was thinking of wiring it to the back of the board in the same points were a cygnos would be installed.

Still just looking into it as of yet

I dont think it works that way just a heads up ;)

Thanks for the heads up.
    Just throwing out ideas out loud on what would be the easiest way to do this.

The XD card mod can be wired into the back of the board... an option maybe ?

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah but it's more cost effective to do the nandwich I couldn't get my head around the xd card method and wanted to work with what I had available.

Once you get over the learning curve of attaching the donor nand and making sure there is continuity in the pins then your good to go.

Yeah but it's more cost effective to do the nandwich I couldn't get my head around the xd card method and wanted to work with what I had available.

Once you get over the learning curve of attaching the donor nand and making sure there is continuity in the pins then your good to go.

I'll have a look into the XD card mod it seems to be the easiest way about it.

Out of curiosity how did you get the nand chips off,
    I was flooding the legs with solder and trying to remove the nand chip then

I'll have a look into the XD card mod it seems to be the easiest way about it.

Out of curiosity how did you get the nand chips off,
    I was flooding the legs with solder and trying to remove the nand chip then

You really need a heat gun to desolder the nand chip, put some paste flux along the pins, preheat the area at 140 degress and slowly climb to 450 degress the nand should come up very easily at this heat. It also helps to wedge something underneath the nand to stop it sticking to the pads while you work on the other side.

You really need a heat gun to desolder the nand chip, put some paste flux along the pins, preheat the area at 140 degress and slowly climb to 450 degress the nand should come up very easily at this heat. It also helps to wedge something underneath the nand to stop it sticking to the pads while you work on the other side.

That's what I was thinking.

Must buy a heatgun for myself now if I decide on the nandwich :eek:

Never thought I'd be using one of them on a xbox

I use the heat gun on my rework station, as long as it has temperature control you should be fine remember to use plenty of flux as it will help conduct the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I use the heat gun on my rework station, as long as it has temperature control you should be fine remember to use plenty of flux as it will help conduct the heat.

I've got one of them
    13258293220.jpg

the work great on nands , tsops etc

EDIT: btw, I mentioned few times that I have 1 or 2 spare 16mb xd cards in anyone is interested

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up.

check again 2 usb ports. I bought few machines without power at allm the had some pieces of metal shorting +5V in usb port

docentore wrote: »
    I've got one of them
    13258293220.jpg

the work great on nands , tsops etc

EDIT: btw, I mentioned few times that I have 1 or 2 spare 16mb xd cards in anyone is interested

Yeah I had one of them nozzles for my rework station before I sold it.
    Very handy nozzle for salvaging bits and pieces alright.

Might be interested in the XD card,
    I'll look into the mod a bit more and I'll pm you if I decide to go ahead with the mod.
    Thanks

docentore wrote: »
    check again 2 usb ports. I bought few machines without power at allm the had some pieces of metal shorting +5V in usb port

Doc you are a genius looked at USB port in the front and two of the pins were bent back touching the metal casing, I bent them back to normal position and the console boots fine!

Doc you are a genius looked at USB port in the front and two of the pins were bent back touching the metal casing, I bent them back to normal position and the console boots fine!

.....your slipping ryan :p
    I presumed that was the first thing you checked lol

You should break the pins off in the port or fill it with hot glue or the same thing will happen again as the ports damaged.
    Either that or replace the port.

And most people charge €40 for no power repair :P

I presumed that the first thing you checked lol

You should break the pins off in the port or fill it with hot glue or the same thing will happen again as the ports damaged.

Haha thanks to doc I'm €40 richer, I put some insulating tape over the USB port and told the owner not to use it.

Haha thanks to doc I'm €40 richer, I put some insulating tape over the USB port and told the owner not to use it.

Insulating tape makes Touching Virus cry :(

I did that once or twice then the owners child plugged a play and charge kit in and shorted it again.

So after that I always just broke the pins off in the port and told the owner that I "disabled" the port :)
    No problems after that

No power in general is a handy repair

It's the first time I'd seen this kind of short, I know there is a similar short problem were the fans turn a quarter of the way with flashing red lights.

Did TV have a bad experience with insulating tape?

Did TV have a bad experience with I insulating tape?

Lol, not that I know of. I imagine he shudders at the thought of a repair involving it though :D

• Advertisement

I presumed that was the first thing you checked lol

hot air and swap the ports with some scrap one

Advertisement