Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Modding Thoughts...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

docentore wrote: »
    hot air and swap the ports with some scrap one

*swoon* Hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

hot air and swap the ports with some scrap one

pfft effort ... fill it with glueeee

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

exactly my thoughts ....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Its easy enough to resolder th ports with Hot Air station, in the other brard the mounting holes need to cleand.

But I caee the pont, I actually did simiral fix and soldered external usb ports clued with epoxy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone know what the going rate of a hard-mod on a ps2 is? Fat or slim?

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anyone know what the going rate of a hard-mod on a ps2 is? Fat or slim?

with one of those 10.000.000-wires modchip to solder? I wouldn't do that for less than €70. Last time I spent 2 feckin days on the job

with one of those 10.000.000-wires modchip to solder? I wouldn't do that for less than €70. Last time I spent 2 feckin days on the job

I'll concur with docentore, about €70 excluding modchip costs. I hard-modded a PS2 v7 with a Modbo 4.0 chip there only a month ago for myself, took me a good while (3 hours) with its 25 wires, fiddly solder points, awkward strip down and even more awkward reassembly :)

I'll concur with docentore, about €70 excluding modchip costs. I hard-modded a PS2 v7 with a Modbo 4.0 chip there only a month ago for myself, took me a good while (3 hours) with its 25 wires, fiddly solder points, awkward strip down and even more awkward reassembly :)

I dont know much about ps2 modding,
    But dont you get similar results with freemcboot.
    And its much easier to set up and install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dont you get similar results with freemcboot anyway ?

Close enough, it's a bit more hassle patching some things for ESR with FMB though. Once you have the HDD adapter though the results are pretty similar.

I dont know much about ps2 modding,
    But dont you get similar results with freemcboot.
    And its much easier to set up and install.

Similar enough results yeah, but I found the modchip on a busted board and decided to port it over for fun :)

• Advertisement

finally worked up the guts to chance a winbond unlock.

Fingers crossed :p

Those plastic insulating bits in your electrical equipment are for reason. doc forgot about this and now he has door step in shape of DC and 42" LCD which doesn't power on anymore.

Those plastic insulating bits in your electrical equipment are for reason. doc forgot about this and now he has door step in shape of DC and 42" LCD which doesn't power on anymore.

As in a power strip shorted out or something? The DC may have an internal fuse you can change, not too sure though. As for the TV...I'd imagine they have some kind of protection but it's likely not something as simple as changing a fuse

EnterNow wrote: »
    As in a power strip shorted out or something? The DC may have an internal fuse you can change, not too sure though. As for the TV...I'd imagine they have some kind of protection but it's likely not something as simple as changing a fuse

I'm worried about DC, have few spare.

TV was connected via scart cable at the time, 220v went through common ground to TV. Mainboard is fried, I can see that, hopefully it's the only thing which needs replacement

My jtag was visiting another house over the weekend, when I set it back up here at home...E68 every time & no controller would sync.

Opened case, disconnected the internal 3.5" drive & all was well again. Reconnected, E68.

Disconnected drive again, booted fine. Reconnected 3.5" drive whilst the console was powered on [I know, I know]...console reset & booted to FSD.

Removed power connector for 1 min & retested, everything is working as it should. A quick dust down & reassemble...no problems to report.

I hate fixing problems without doing anything, because you never know what was wrong or if its indeed likely to reoccur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Is it possible to launch flash360 via Xell?

Dual nand Slim sold!

Will do the xd card mod next on a Phat Xbox 360, should be fun :D

justryan wrote: »
    xd card mod

The hell is that?

wlei42.png

This, its slightly easier than the nandwitch method but gives the same results plus if the memory card gets corrupted you can just slot in a new one.

wlei42.png

This, its slightly easier than the nandwitch method but gives the same results plus if the memory card gets corrupted you can just slot in a new one.

still have one or two 16mb cards, never got around to do this

• Advertisement

wlei42.png

still have one or two 16mb cards, never got around to do this

I'm gonna do this when I get back from holidays I'll post up pics of the mod, how much you want for an xd card?

I'm gonna do this when I get back from holidays I'll post up pics of the mod, how much you want for an xd card?

pm'd on the way;)

The PS2 is a very fussy machine but when you get a modchip into one and it works it feels pretty good :D

The Romeo Mod - very interesting idea, had me scratching my head at first when I looked at the wiring and thought some schoolboy wrecked a board :P

The v9 laser/drive unit - piece of ****

Slim PS2 - epic win for modding as it's tidier, less screws, less parts, less everything :)

The PS2 is a very fussy machine but when you get a modchip into one and it works it feels pretty good :D

The Romeo Mod - very interesting idea, had me scratching my head at first when I looked at the wiring and thought some schoolboy wrecked a board :P

The v9 laser/drive unit - piece of ****

Slim PS2 - epic win for modding as it's tidier, less screws, less parts, less everything :)

The hell is the Romeo mod?

Also, are the slim mainboards covered in a resin like the others are, which makes soldering difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Sir, you are a true master of the soldering iron.

Thanks for sorting out my PS2's! :)

carlton-dance_o_gifsoup-com.gif%3Fw%3D320%26h%3D239

The hell is the Romeo mod?

Also, are the slim mainboards covered in a resin like the others are, which makes soldering difficult?

The Romeo mod is a v9/10 specific mod related to the LA6508 IC that controls the CD/DVD drive. When a modchip is installed in a v9/10 there's a reasonably high chance that it will overdrive the mechachon (CD/DVD drive control chip) and burn the LA6508 or the drive's laser. By lifting Pin 17 on the LA6508 (+12v) and hooking it to a +5v source it'll reduce the power send to the drive when the modchip tries to overdrive it, saving the chip/laser :) Took quite a while to find out what it was though :D

The Slim's mainboard (at least in the v15) doesn't have any resin on it protecting it. I liked moving the modchip to the slim because it's much, much easier to reassemble & test and the wiring is on one side of the board only. It's a tad more difficult to solder but worked first time - on both phat consoles I've installed on I've had to review the wiring at least twice.
    Pyongyang wrote: »
    Sir, you are a true master of the soldering iron.

Thanks for sorting out my PS2's! :)

No hassle at all dude, had some fun in between the headwrecking times :pac: Hope you get lots of region free fun out of it!

So your basically disconnecting the 12v supply & feeding 5v instead. Pretty ingenious given that it works :)

So your basically disconnecting the 12v supply & feeding 5v instead. Pretty ingenious given that it works :)

I don't know enough about the LA6508 chip and can't find a pinout but I don't think it's just running off +5v forever, I think it's a load-based pin that only comes active when overloading occurs so that it'll only provide +5v not +12v, saving the laser.

The last two pics are the Romeo Mod. The first two is the initial mod & tidy up job from the v9 fail PS2 :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

They don't hand out OBE's or Knighthoods in this gaf do they? How about an award for services to the soldering industry? :)

Advertisement