Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide is OK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Yeah I don't think suicide should really be dismissed as a selfish act or anything, but I honestly don't blame any angry or hurt family members left behind for feeling bitter. I know I would.

+1
    My guess is that people who commit suicide are so blinded by their own pain and seemingly inescapaple situatuions that they don't even consider the wider picture of devastated family/friends. Honestly I'd have much more sympathy with a murder victim, then a suicide victim. (rabble rabble I'm so cold and heartless rabble rabble) Really I'm not, I just think that YES as a matter of fact we do have a certain responsibility to the people who love us. Furthermore we have a responsibility to OURSELVES to give ourselves the chance at life we all deserve

+1

But we can't get away from it that some people are not so nice, selfish and heartless.

Not everyone, but some are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

CDfm wrote: »
    +1
    But we can't get away from it that some people are not so nice, selfish and heartless.
    Not everyone, but some are.

I think you've just hit the nail on the head there, some people are just no good, the fact of their death (by whatever means) doesn't change that and in fact in some cases it actually reinforces it.
    I think that if the girl i'm talking about had of died in a car crash, or of cancer or something, the bad things about her would be more or less forgotten, with time most people tend to recall the fond memories more so than the bad, well i do anyway!
    But now, because of the manner of her death that is impossible, it's impossible for me to hear her name without that being the very first thing i think of and then the fact that she once brought the kids to feed the ducks or whatnot just seems totally irrelevant. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for the kids, i know for a fact that my friend has to force himself to remember any good times, which lets face it, in a decade and a half there must have been loads!! This one event towers over everything else and always will do. It's just sad beyond imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think you've just hit the nail on the head there, some people are just no good, the fact of their death (by whatever means) doesn't change that and in fact in some cases it actually reinforces it.
    I think that if the girl i'm talking about had of died in a car crash, or of cancer or something, the bad things about her would be more or less forgotten, with time most people tend to recall the fond memories more so than the bad, well i do anyway!
    But now, because of the manner of her death that is impossible, it's impossible for me to hear her name without that being the very first thing i think of and then the fact that she once brought the kids to feed the ducks or whatnot just seems totally irrelevant. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for the kids, i know for a fact that my friend has to force himself to remember any good times, which lets face it, in a decade and a half there must have been loads!! This one event towers over everything else and always will do. It's just sad beyond imagination.

You can forgive something or someone without diminishing responsibility. What she did was monstrous. I dont dispute that, or the horror she left behind to her kids.

I listened to a radio program a while back on BBC radio called "A woman's right to be evil" and a psychatrist was talking about female psychopaths, killers, domestic violence perpetrators, and what she said about them and she included their male counterparts in this, was 'these people are lost." It was one of the most humane talks I ever heard and openned my eyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nhmgn/Night_Waves_Free_Thinking_2009_Free_Thinking_Gwen_Adshead/

Everyone can get to a point of being heartless. This same psychiatrist referenced Nazi Germany and pointed out that people were murdering other people without coercion and were totally willing to do it. [It was in a well known book but I cant find the link to the radio broadcast].

I dont know what causes it, what induces it, etc but a person can be so EGOLESS that they are unaware of their effect on others and can paradoxically appear egotistical and selfish.

It's an interesteing point alright, years back i read about Dennis Nilson the serial killer, i think the book was called killing for company, he describes the day he was finally caught and arrested as "the day that help arrived" He was certainly lost. In fact, i felt a little sorry for him, strangely enough!
    I suppose you probably don't know for sure untill you're in that situation yourself, but i can't imagine i would ever do what she did, i suppose, if i'm honest, i believe i'm better than that. I'm not really comfortable saying that but it's what it boils down to. I certainly hope i would never do anything like that to my kids, no matter what happens in my life, but if by some bizzare circumstance i did, i would fully expect to never be forgiven. I mean in the personal sense, i'm an atheist so i wouldn't be concerned about burning in hell or anything like that. I view it as more or less the ultimate betrayal.
    Maybe i'm just not a very forgiving person?

It's an interesteing point alright, years back i read about Dennis Nilson the serial killer, i think the book was called killing for company, he describes the day he was finally caught and arrested as "the day that help arrived" He was certainly lost. In fact, i felt a little sorry for him, strangely enough!

I don't think its the same - guys like Dennis Neilson are murderers and do not want to get caught and what was stopping him going into the police station all along. He is not a victim but a very dangerous evil person.

The phrase "red hot poker" springs to mind.

• Advertisement

Klaz, maybe i'm saying it wrong or something but my opinion is not a million miles from yours.

I'm afraid it is extremely different. Perhaps about suicide in general, but this example you provided puts us on opposite sides.
    Of course the girl deserves sympathy, it's sad when anybody feels their life is not worth living, i'm not arguing that,

And yet, despite that admission, it goes no further. Its like mouthing the words because there is no emotion or feeling behind them.
    i'm arguing that there was no need whatsoever to involve her children the way she did, and there wasn't, end of story. She deliberately caused them extra suffering and that is a horrible thing for any mother to do.

And I'd agree if this was any sort of rational thing to do. Why do people keep trying to place responsibility for rational behavior and thought processes, on people suffering extreme depression ( and probably a host of other conditions), and expect them to behave in a clear and logical manner? It boggles the mind.

I continue to wonder why nobody noticed any of the trouble she was having in the months before this.... If they had noticed, I'm assuming you would have mentioned it previously..
    Again i state my case that she owed them more than that, as a mother she failed in her responsibility to protect her kids and she failed them quite spectacularly, and again, to my mind, that overshadows everything else.

IMO, as a mother she perhaps performed the ultimate sacrifice by killing herself to remove the emotional threat to her children... IF she felt that there was no chance of recovery, no chance of getting support from others to help with the problems she was facing, then, perhaps she felt this was the only answer... for both herself and her children.

I meant to ask this earlier... where are the children living now? With the father or with someone else?
    The idea that she should be completely absolved of any blame, as if she had no hand, act or part in it, just doesn't wash with me and it never will.

Completely absolved? Nope. But given some degree of doubt regarding her actions? To be accused that she intended to kill her children but changed her mind? nope. I'm not saying she wasn't responsible. I'm saying the Father was responsible. I'm saying her (and his) family were responsible. I'm saying stop passing the buck entirely over to her.
    When you have kids in particular, you owe them, that's an absolute, we owe our kids better than leaving them to find our bodies hanging from the rafters, i will not ever accept that leaving them to find her was in any way forgiveable.

You owe children to be the best parent you possibly can be. Nobody is trained to be a parent except through experience. In many cases, people don't choose to be parents at all, and just have to deal with it. And others are forced emotionally, or practically to having children to suit their partners wishes.

Too often people focus entirely on the children and forget the needs of the parents. As it would appear to have been the case here.

I get the whole thing about not speaking i'll of the dead and all that, but you don't know who i'm talking about and either does anyone else, therefore i can be more candid than i would otherwise be for fear of causing offence. I honestly hope i'm not offending anyone here, if i am i apologise.

We may not know the woman personally, but from the information you provided in your posts we can get an image of the situation. TBH I believe there's a lot going on here that didn't involve the mother. I've known may relationships which broke up whilst having children in the mix, and there is always a lot more than one factor going on, and it always comes down to more than one person.

You have continuously sought to throw all the blame in her direction which is unrealistic considering she had managed to raise two children for years, while managing both a job and doing the housework. In spite of your speaking of the father in glowing terms, its appears (to me) from your description that she did most of the parenting.

To me, this is not so much about speaking bad about the dead. This is simply because I find your description of events so improbable. Perhaps others feel differently. They're welcome to. But the way you have described the situation over a number of posts screams cover-up about the lack of support for the mother, and that the father wasn't quite so wonderful on a relationship level.

A few months back my sister fell in the shower, banged her head an suffered a concussion. Went to the doctors and such but ultimately they told her she needed rest, quiet and relaxation for 4-6 weeks to get better. She was getting extreme headaches, reacted horribly to loud noises, and couldn't deal with decisions of any kind. Which is quite difficult with 2 small children aged 3 & 4, and working as a teacher. Her husband had a start-up business and worked 16 hour shifts so couldn't provide much in the way of help. She couldn't work, and she couldn't manage the children without getting irritable. She turned instantly from being a fantastic mother, to being a harridan. Without the support of her family she couldn't have managed things since we took the children every day for hours while she recuperated, taking them 4 nights a week and it still took just under three months for her to recover. So between the illness, the stress of being unable to be a parent (when she was the primary parents most of the time, and the financial stress of a single income, it took its toll.

She didn't get suicidal, but she did have a number of breakdowns and deep depression during this period. Now, consider what it would have been like without support...

This is why I'm so interested in your example... and why I have asked so many times regarding the level of support this mother received whilst working and parenting... and why she is being considered such a bad mother by you.

I suppose you probably don't know for sure untill you're in that situation yourself, but i can't imagine i would ever do what she did, i suppose, if i'm honest, i believe i'm better than that. I'm not really comfortable saying that but it's what it boils down to. I certainly hope i would never do anything like that to my kids, no matter what happens in my life, but if by some bizzare circumstance i did, i would fully expect to never be forgiven. I mean in the personal sense, i'm an atheist so i wouldn't be concerned about burning in hell or anything like that. I view it as more or less the ultimate betrayal.
    Maybe i'm just not a very forgiving person?

Sure. I look at Hanz Fritz and seriously, I cannot see any humanity in him. That is beyond the scope of my imaginative capacities.

Maybe you are better than the woman you speak of, but maybe you are not. You were not her, you did not walk in her shoes, have her upbringing- which may not have given her the ability to cope, bear children, have pnd, chronic depression, etc and raise two kids alone. You cannot look at what she did in isolation from the others around her.

There are people there who deserve our compassion.

Some don't.

I think it is easy to try to judge people but in the case of the mother who committed suicide -no-one knows what was going thru her head and we should really give her the benefit of the doubt unless we know that she acted deliberately.

Paula Yates, effectivelly committed suicide, and was found by her daughter. She had a messy life.

So we should not really speculate.Accidental deaths have always happened & it is the cycle of life. We should not really make an unhappy situation worse by sanitising death. Kids do recover and while it is awful -I often think it is sometimes modern day sensitivities that make it so.

I was at an open casket funeral recently and there were people there who had not been to one before and could not hack it. It was there issue.

& Klaz parenting is difficult and it involves everyone and your sister is lucky to have you and a hardworking partner. Parents are human and children don't break and are very resiliant.

Yeah I don't think suicide should really be dismissed as a selfish act or anything, but I honestly don't blame any angry or hurt family members left behind for feeling bitter. I know I would.

People will feel what they want regardless of what someone does in life or in death. My uncle died leaving three children behind him. Two spoke lovingly about him being a fantastic father who was always there to support them, and the third refused to go to the Funeral stating that he would give his father the respect he deserved by ignoring him in death, as he had in life. So.. was he a good father or a bad one? It doesn't matter.. because the perception of those closest to him were different depending on their circumstances.
    My guess is that people who commit suicide are so blinded by their own pain and seemingly inescapaple situatuions that they don't even consider the wider picture of devastated family/friends.

Or perhaps they feel that since people fail to care while they are alive, why should they care when they're dead..? Or that perhaps by dying they can release their family from the linkage of problems, and ultimately provide a measure of release & healing?

So many possibles considering the state of mind of the persons involved.
    Honestly I'd have much more sympathy with a murder victim, then a suicide victim. (rabble rabble I'm so cold and heartless rabble rabble) Really I'm not, I just think that YES as a matter of fact we do have a certain responsibility to the people who love us.

If they love us. Its amazing the number of people who are invisible when alive, but suddenly become loved when they're dead. The fact of the matter, is that not everyone's life is cushy and comfortable. Some people's lives are cold and uncomfortable because of the very people that are supposed to be loving us, and are.. not.
    Furthermore we have a responsibility to OURSELVES to give ourselves the chance at life we all deserve.

Totally agree, although not in the way you meant it. But then that's selfish the moment it means placing that responsibility over the needs of other people. i.e. your family or friends. Personally... I feel that our life is our own. To be done with in whatever manner we chose. After all, we're the ones that enjoy the successes or feel the failures ( and the subsequent consequences).

In life or death, it is our life. Not our families... not our children... not our husbands, and not our God's. One sole ownership. One sole person constantly that has to endure the consequences. For good or for bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

I don't see suicide as a selfish act, of course every case is different. I believe in certain circumstances, an incredibly painful terminal illness etc., a large amount of ppl would agree with it being understandable. (I could be wrong)

But I always hate how when the 'unbearable' illness is mental, ppl insist that the person should suffer with it. Of course most mental illness can be helped through medical intervention, but what if it's not a 'temporay problem', I think that it should be an option for them, one without the stigma. I don't believe they SHOULD, but I would never judge them for it.

Just my 2 cents

I don't see suicide as a selfish act, of course every case is different. I believe in certain circumstances, an incredibly painful terminal illness etc., a large amount of ppl would agree with it being understandable. (I could be wrong)

Terminal illness and pain management is different.

But I always hate how when the 'unbearable' illness is mental, ppl insist that the person should suffer with it. Of course most mental illness can be helped through medical intervention, but what if it's not a 'temporay problem', I think that it should be an option for them, one without the stigma. I don't believe they SHOULD, but I would never judge them for it.

Just my 2 cents

A person should behave responsibly too and you have obligations to others -like it or not.

So on that you can have a view on whether their overall behavior was responsible or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Yes, however, I believe at a certain point if pain management is affecting the person's quality of life to such a degree, then I believe it can be a reasonable comparison.

I believe our first responsibility is to ourselves. And I don't see how being miserable, but sticking around, just because of others is a more noble decision. I mean, we are all mortal, we will die at some point, why suffer needlessly?

And does that mean, if a person has no relations/friends it's ok to commit suicide ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anybody comitting suicide (barr those who are seriously mentally ill) know that someone is going to suffer for their actions, they must disregard this to proceed, now if there is a more dictionary perfect meaning of selfishness than disregarding the suffering of others to suit yourself, i have never heard it!

There could be a million different reasons why someone would do this but at it's core it is selfish, by it's very definition.
    Selfish, but from what I've seen, the person is usually in such a f**ked up state a mind, that suicide makes sense. Example: someone owed €5000 to a bunch of dealers in Ballymun. Rather than ask for a lend of the money from his parents, he jumped in front of a train.
    You need to take each individual case.
    Agreed.
    I heard of a local guy who had debt problems with a fairly good business
    Stress.
    Nice wife, kids etc.
    More stress.
    The downside may have been bankruptcy
    Lots more stress.
    The urge to commit suicide may be not being able to see the wood for the trees or being too focused on the downside.
    Pretty much it seems. Some can't seek help, be it pride, or just not knowing who to turn to. Some people think that others don't know what they're going through, and should they ask, and get told to "suck it up", or the ole "you're lucky to have a job", they'll only see one way out. And by then, they won't be thinking straight: they'll only be thinking about the escape.

=-=

I still call the majority selfish. That or cowards. Brave enough to take your own life? I think not. Too cowardly to strive on, imo.

I actually agreed with most of your post except for the next bit.
    the_syco wrote: »
    I still call the majority selfish. That or cowards. Brave enough to take your own life? I think not. Too cowardly to strive on, imo.

I dunno. Personally what I consider to be brave is probably easily acceptable to you, simply because I find such things more difficult to do. I can't handle heights at all, and I always think the people who work on high rise construction sites are either brave or nut cases.

The point is that being brave or cowardly is irrelevant. Its just like calling them selfish. Its projecting your own feelings/opinions on to someone else's actions without any real insight into the action itself. You will never have any true understanding of my life and what it means to live it without actually living it. So throwing out comments of selfish or cowardly towards forces you have little or no understanding of... seems rather selfish (since you're projecting your experience as being total), don't you think?

I continue to wonder why nobody noticed any of the trouble she was having in the months before this.... If they had noticed, I'm assuming you would have mentioned it previously.. .

The girl wasn't having any problems that i or anyone else knows of, she was having the craic with her new bloke until about 3 or 4 weeks before her death. To me it's a fairly clear case of the grass not being greener.

IMO, as a mother she perhaps performed the ultimate sacrifice by killing herself to remove the emotional threat to her children... IF she felt that there was no chance of recovery, no chance of getting support from others to help with the problems she was facing, then, perhaps she felt this was the only answer... for both herself and her children..

And this sacrifice was aided by them finding her was it?
    I meant to ask this earlier... where are the children living now? With the father or with someone else?.

They live with their father since the mothers death.

Completely absolved? Nope. But given some degree of doubt regarding her actions? To be accused that she intended to kill her children but changed her mind? nope. I'm not saying she wasn't responsible. I'm saying the Father was responsible. I'm saying her (and his) family were responsible. I'm saying stop passing the buck entirely over to her. .

Are you for real?

You have continuously sought to throw all the blame in her direction which is unrealistic considering she had managed to raise two children for years, while managing both a job and doing the housework. In spite of your speaking of the father in glowing terms, its appears (to me) from your description that she did most of the parenting. .

How you came to that conclusion is beyond me, read my posts again, she didn't raise the kids, HE did. The kids were never much more than an inconvenience to her. I can't for the life of me see how you could take anything other than that from what i wrote and if you did, then let me assure you it was unintentional. She hardly done any of the parenting, she certainly didn't do most!
    To me, this is not so much about speaking bad about the dead. This is simply because I find your description of events so improbable. Perhaps others feel differently.

Well all i can say is that's the truth as i experienced it, unembelished and largely uncensored. Sometimes as they say, the truth is stranger than fiction.
    But the way you have described the situation over a number of posts screams cover-up about the lack of support for the mother, and that the father wasn't quite so wonderful on a relationship level.

It might scream cover to you, but then you've already proven you aren't actually reading what i'm saying. This is the agenda, i mentioned earlier. Not every mother who commits suicide was a loving and caring soul, striving selflessly for the good of her family but battered into submision by a cruel and unsupportive world. Some people may well be, BUT NOT THIS PERSON. Some people are just no good, in life or in death, that's a point you seem to be ignoring. Everybody can't be wonderfull.

As for the father being all that? Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors, but i do KNOW for a stone cold fact that those kids are much better off with her gone and him raising them, than they would have been, had the roles been reversed.

I'm not tarring all suicides with the one brush (like you are), i'm saying each case needs individual treatment to form an opinion. This is my opinion of this one case and i'm quite happy that it's correct.

The girl wasn't having any problems that i or anyone else knows of, she was having the craic with her new bloke until about 3 or 4 weeks before her death. To me it's a fairly clear case of the grass not being greener.

Whereas it suggests to me that there were problems with the Father of the children on various levels and she sought some form of escape. Unfortunately she didn't receive what she needed from the new relationship and it bottomed. But then TBH she'd lasted longer in those two relationships than most of mine...

But I will repeat that its interesting that neither you nor those that knew her, had any inkling that she had serious problems.... Don't you find that curious, when you're an authority on everything else in that relationship?
    And this sacrifice was aided by them finding her was it?

You really can't get past that can you? You suggested alternative endings, so did I. At least mine, doesn't talk about killing her own children.
    They live with their father since the mothers death.

Good to know.
    Are you for real?

Damn right, I am for real. The Father had a direct input into the life of the mother at every point prior to the breakup and considering the raising of the children thereafter, the father would also have had to have contact with the mother.

Again, I say.. stop passing the buck entirely over to her. The Father was responsible, the families were responsible, and the friends were responsible.
    How you came to that conclusion is beyond me, read my posts again, she didn't raise the kids, HE did. The kids were never much more than an inconvenience to her. I can't for the life of me see how you could take anything other than that from what i wrote and if you did, then let me assure you it was unintentional. She hardly done any of the parenting, she certainly didn't do most!

Actually, this is the first time that you have said that he raised the kids. In the majority of your posts you give remarkably little information about the father or what he did, and focus the comments (negative) on the mother.
    Well all i can say is that's the truth as i experienced it, unembelished and largely uncensored. Sometimes as they say, the truth is stranger than fiction.

And yet, you said that the majority of information you know comes from the Father... From the horses mouth.
    It might scream cover to you, but then you've already proven you aren't actually reading what i'm saying. This is the agenda, i mentioned earlier.

Well, I will admit that I have read between the lines because you haven't really answered my questions about the situation about the mother, the father or the support that she might have received.

And it was me, that raised the agenda issue originally. :D About you.
    Not every mother who commits suicide was a loving and caring soul, striving selflessly for the good of her family but battered into submision by a cruel and unsupportive world. Some people may well be, BUT NOT THIS PERSON. Some people are just no good, in life or in death, that's a point you seem to be ignoring. Everybody can't be wonderfull.

Oddly enough I haven't sought to portray this mother nor any mother as being this manner of perfection you describe. In fact, I've spoken about how hard life can be, and how inadequate parents can be especially when they lack support from others. The problem I have is this focus you have on making her into a monster... and the ex-boyfriend a saint.
    As for the father being all that? Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors, but i do KNOW for a stone cold fact that those kids are much better off with her gone and him raising them, than they would have been, had the roles been reversed.

Apparently, you do know what is going on behind closed doors because you experienced it, and you've also heard it from the Father. Your words, not mine.

And perhaps the kids are indeed better off... But the mother isn't. She's still dead. And I still wonder what led her to commit suicide.
    I'm not tarring all suicides with the one brush (like you are), i'm saying each case needs individual treatment to form an opinion. This is my opinion of this one case and i'm quite happy that it's correct.

Well, if you're happy, then I'm happy. Although you might want to read my posts again, if you think I'm tarring all suicides with the one brush. :rolleyes:

All women are not perfect and neither are all men. Child abuse/neglect is more likely to occur at the hands of a mother than a father and child sexual abuse by women seems to be hugely under reported and on the increase.

This thread is not really about any of that & we should not be discussing this individual other than in the most general terms. One hopes she is at peace.

However, one thing that interests me is if there was a trigger event i.e. did she hit the booze or drugs for instance or loose her job and/or relationship or did she look for any help.

1 in 4 people will experience a mental health issue sometime in their lives.

Just because a woman/mother is a bit of a basketcase ( and I am not being specific to anyone here) does not mean she deserved to die or not get help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

the_syco wrote: »

It's an act of utter desperation and despair, I wouldn't be so judgemental as to call it cowardly, or even selfish. You have to factor in mental illness. The vast majority of people who commit suicide are suffering from mental illnesses such as clinical depression, personality disorder, schizophrenia...etc. In fact, suicidial thoughts are often systems of these illnesses.

I think a fairly safe assumption to make is - if a person didn't have an underlyng mental illness that person wouldn't commit sucide. Most mental illnesses, though unfortunatetly not all, are treatable to varying degrees. Therefore, most suicides are preventable. The key is to increase awareness of this fact.

However, one thing that interests me is if there was a trigger event i.e. did she hit the booze or drugs for instance or loose her job and/or relationship or did she look for any help..

The trigger as far as anyone can tell was when her new relationship broke down, it was more of a fling than a relationship and it appears she hoped it would be more. As for drink and drugs, she was a ladette for want of a better description, there was a fair bit of alcohol in her system the night she died.

Just because a woman/mother is a bit of a basketcase ( and I am not being specific to anyone here) does not mean she deserved to die or not get help.

Of course not.

Klaz, i think we're getting nowhere!
    You're obviously quite a compasionate person and thats admirable. But as far as i'm concerned it's misplaced here. It's the kids and the father that are the ones that are most deserving of it. That's always been my opinion and it's unlikely to change now. I do see your points and i even accept a lot of them on general principle, but i still can't forgive what she done, i really can't. On this case we'll just have to agree to differ!

• Advertisement

Aye, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I'm not going be satisfied because I don't have all the information.
    You're obviously quite a compasionate person and thats admirable. But as far as i'm concerned it's misplaced here. It's the kids and the father that are the ones that are most deserving of it. That's always been my opinion and it's unlikely to change now. I do see your points and i even accept a lot of them on general principle, but i still can't forgive what she done, i really can't. On this case we'll just have to agree to differ!

This isn't about forgiveness. Its about understanding why. Not once did you make any reference to why she killed herself, or what led her to such a drastic position. Instead, you've focused entirely on the end result.

Probably best to leave things as they are. We just see the true victims as being entirely different people.

The trigger as far as anyone can tell was when her new relationship broke down, it was more of a fling than a relationship and it appears she hoped it would be more. As for drink and drugs, she was a ladette for want of a better description, there was a fair bit of alcohol in her system the night she died.

Of course not.

If she was drinking for a long time and doing drugs she was committing chronic suicide for a long time. Anyone try to stop her? Did the dad and the kids try an intervention? Did they go to ALANON? Did they look into rehab? Did they confront her or enable her problem?

Cant you see the self loathing even in that behavior?

If she was drinking for a long time and doing drugs she was committing chronic suicide for a long time. Anyone try to stop her? Did the dad and the kids try an intervention? Did they go to ALANON? Did they look into rehab? Did they confront her or enable her problem?

Cant you see the self loathing even in that behavior?

I can't see self loathing as she had free will and these were lifestyle choices and she was responsible for her own behaviour.

The initiative would have needed to be hers.

I can't see self loathing as she had free will and these were lifestyle choices and she was responsible for her own behaviour.

The initiative would have needed to be hers.

Not always. Sometimes people are too entrenched in their own self destruction, that's why addiction recovery often starts with family intervention supervised by a rehabilitation specialist.

Not always. Sometimes people are too entrenched in their own self destruction, that's why addiction recovery often starts with family intervention supervised by a rehabilitation specialist.

Maybe -but I think its too precise here but it is probably fair to say thant the booze was a huge factor and at the very least people have theiir " most Brialliant ideas" drunk or stoned. One that fits into that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thegirls2

What's wrong with being selfish? The unhappiest people in this world are those who live their lives according to other people's needs.

Personally I think there is a lot more than "selfishness" to a person committing suicide. I have a lot of sympathy for those who have killed themselves. They must have been in horrible pain to do such a thing.
    I agree with you,we lost a dear friend of ours 3 years ago,yes it has devestated us and his family but ill never get it out of my head that he felt he was at a dead end with no where to turn,if only he knew we would have done anything for him,its not a selfish act in my opinion,no-one understands wats going through a persons mind.

thegirls2 wrote: »
    I agree with you,we lost a dear friend of ours 3 years ago,yes it has devestated us and his family but ill never get it out of my head that he felt he was at a dead end with no where to turn,if only he knew we would have done anything for him,its not a selfish act in my opinion,no-one understands wats going through a persons mind.

There is a lot of stigma attatched to mental illness and to the I cant let people see me not cope.

The confusion must be awful.

There is a lot of stigma attatched to mental illness and to the I cant let people see me not cope.

The confusion must be awful.

IMO there's a lot of stigma about counseling too, and what we consider acceptable grounds before visiting such. Consider the reactions of posters here when I suggested that everyone should go to a counselor. A wave of dislike of the idea. Simply put, we use words like mental illness towards these problems which does nothing to stop the problem. When I considered suicide, I wasn't mentally ill. Fact is, in my eyes, I have never been mentally ill. And such a reference is just as destructive as the emotions that the category is supposed describe.

Honestly, we need to get to the stage where a counseling session is no more serious than getting a massage.

Not everyone needs councelling and most people cope or have friends they can confide in or go to for advice.

However, I agree that for those who need it the stigma does put them off and for those who need it most practical help is not accessable.

Our society has limited resourses and even during the celtic tiger era when lots was being spent issues such as illegal immigrant care was higher up the aghenda than suicide prevention etc.Thats not criticising illegal immigrants but just pointing out that the trigger events and needs of suicides are normally of a very practical nature and it was an opportunity missed.

I think myself that GP care and voluntary groups are more effective then HSE/State run initiatives and it is there the funds should be allocated.

• Advertisement

Not everyone needs councelling and most people cope or have friends they can confide in or go to for advice.

Honestly, most people do not have the skills to get past their own problems or experiences enough to help their friends effectively when the chips are down. I'm not seeking to lessen the help that friends and family can provide. It is of immeasurable value, but its still rather limited.

The belief that counseling should be kept until a serious problem arises is part of the existing problem.

As for most people not needing counseling, I have to wonder what you believe counseling to entail... have you ever had a session?
    Our society has limited resourses and even during the celtic tiger era when lots was being spent issues such as illegal immigrant care was higher up the aghenda than suicide prevention etc.Thats not criticising illegal immigrants but just pointing out that the trigger events and needs of suicides are normally of a very practical nature and it was an opportunity missed.

The cost of four counseling sessions (per year) is covered under the Medical card scheme which anyone entitled to welfare can avail of. And those that are above the requirements have their own income to cover the costs, which aren't high to begin with. I've gotten the sessions per the card initially, and I paid for two more sessions myself with the money I received from my dole with enough to live on thereafter.

There is this belief that such care is expensive, and therefore most of us wouldn't be able to afford such a visit unless it was of serious need. Well, its not.
    I think myself that GP care and voluntary groups are more effective then HSE/State run initiatives and it is there the funds should be allocated.

I don't know much about that, except to say that the counselors that I have spoken with through sessions or externally (I'm involved in some private NLP organisations) have all been extremely good at their professions. But then they would have to be considering the investment of time needed for clinical psychology.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement