Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

k_mac wrote: »
    You remind me of that Billy piper song. I think it's called something like "Because I Want To".

If your school has a uniform you don't have much of a battle to fight. In any case your original post said the principle cited hygiene as the reason. Maybe take that hint.

If it's clean the principal has no case. Most people have more hair on their heads than bearded guys have on their faces. So there's nothing unhygienic in a beard, per se.

Most schools flout their own uniform rules by making the girls wear skirts, dresses or pinafores, while not allowing the boys the same facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

hitbit wrote: »
    I would imagine this dinosaur cannot make you shave your beard off as it would be seen as some form of discrimination. I hope there are no girls in your school, I mean one guy can't grow a beard as its deemed unfair to those who can't. What would the dinosaur do about a bird with big tits ?????? tell her to lose them as its unfair on 2 back Tina in 4th.

hitbit

People need to learn more about discrimination. The word gets thrown around way too much.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If it's clean the principal has no case. Most people have more hair on their heads than bearded guys have on their faces. So there's nothing unhygienic in a beard, per se.

Most schools flout their own uniform rules by making the girls wear skirts, dresses or pinafores, while not allowing the boys the same facility.

Unfortunately beards tend to be near the mouth which means they are different to the hair on your head as they encounter more "hazards".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Unfortunately beards tend to be near the mouth which means they are different to the hair on your head as they encounter more "hazards".

Yep, that's why I started my post with "If it's clean..."

Some epic tags for this thread. Mince faced boy being one of my favourites but pubes for eyebrows being a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Most schools either have skirts or pinafores, rare you will see both in the one school. If you are suggesting it is unfair that boys are not allowed to wear these things, then it is equally unfair that women aren't allowed to wear pants. I know some schools allow it, but not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Most schools either have skirts or pinafores, rare you will see both in the one school. If you are suggesting it is unfair that boys are not allowed to wear these things, then it is equally unfair that women aren't allowed to wear pants. I know some schools allow it, but not many.
    the girls in my school complain about not having skirts O_o

Not really unfair. Boys and girls are fundamentally different in many ways. It's Science. Blanket equality is just stupid.

Not really unfair. Boys and girls are fundamentally different in many ways. It's Science. Blanket equality is just stupid.
    We should be allowed to wear kilts if we wish to celebrate our Scottish heritage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Step 1 : Shave Beard

Step 2 : 'accidentally' cut oneself

Step 3 : Sue the bi1ch back to the stone age

Step 4 : Profit :D

• Advertisement

Yep, that's why I started my post with "If it's clean..."

So you would suggest she send a sample of his beard to some lab for testing?
    Teutorix wrote: »
    We should be allowed to wear kilts if we wish to celebrate our Scottish heritage. :pac:

Why? Nobody really cares.

Why? Nobody really cares.
    but its discrimination :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

jack157 wrote: »
    I'm 17 and in 6th year at the moment and i'm growing a beard, I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long. Anyway a few weeks ago I passed the school principal and she pulled me to the side and start asking me about my beard, She then told me to trim it because it looks un-hygienic and there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one. As it stands I absolutely refuse to trim it as a matter of morals.

My question is can schools do this? Is it discrimination?

In my opinion that is just like saying "You can't have that adidas bag because other students can't afford it".

Thanks in advanced!
    No they cant stop you.Keep growing it till you look like robinson crusoe:D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I'm 17 and in 6th year at the moment and i'm growing a beard, I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long. Anyway a few weeks ago I passed the school principal and she pulled me to the side and start asking me about my beard, She then told me to trim it because it looks un-hygienic and there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one. As it stands I absolutely refuse to trim it as a matter of morals.

In my opinion that is just like saying "You can't have that adidas bag because other students can't afford it".

Thanks in advanced!

Hilarious. I haven't read anything as funny since "An Act, that he that will be taken for an Englishman shall not use a Beard upon his upper lip alone, the offender shall be taken as an Irish enemy"(25 Henry VI; 1447 AD):

"For that, that now there is no diversity in array betwixt the English marchours, and the Irish enemies, and so by colour of the English marchours, the Irish enemies do come from day to day, to other into the English counties as English marchours, and do rob and pill by the high ways, and destroy the common people by lodging upon them in the nights, and also do kill the husbands in the nights, and do take their goods to the Irishmen : wherefore it is ordained and agreed, that no manner man that will be taken' for an Englishman, Shall have no beard above his mouth, that is to say, that he have no hairs upon his upper lip, so that the said lip be once at least shaven every fortnight, or of equal growth with the nether lip."

I suggest you talk to your history teacher and tell him your principal's ideas are up there with the Statutes of Kilkenny (1366), that her ideas are an affront to your Irishness and that she needs to catch herself on. Given the historical connotations, no self-respecting Irishman would take this shít.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thanks in advanced!

simple tell her you have a skin complaint and cant shave!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

steddyeddy wrote: »
    simple tell her you have a skin complaint and cant shave!

+1000000

And pick your battles in future. You meet arsehole people everyday of the week, don't make the mistake of running to authority anytime anybody 'wrongs' you.

This is one of the many reasons we have a goddamn nanny state and red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

aDeener wrote: »
    a proper beard on a 17 year old doesn't look any more ridiculous than a beard on a 27 year old :rolleyes:

^^^What he said!

When I was in first year one of my classmates who was 13 could grow a beard. A proper beard too not just a face of bum fluff.

I could also grow a beard in first year.................................of college :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Demand to see the rules that she has made reference to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I bet your principal is mad for a bit of hairy gee, dirty cow! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kincsem wrote: »

Why does society educate young people? Why have exams? You might answer that it is for your benefit. I would say it is to allow employers to pick the most able / suitable for their business based on qualifications / exam results. These businesses are the engine that gives you everything you need to exist. When you get a job the employer wants you to knuckle down and do the job. They do not want employees who try to bend the business to suit the employee. They so not have time for that.

The school does not have time for this. There is no shortage of pupils. They do not need you. You need them. You are not in a bargaining position.

I agree with you somewhat but I have a bit of a problem with this whole attitude that school is simply there to turn out drones for the world of work and business.
    I would like to think that some diversity in life is a good thing, that individuality should not be stifled or seen as a threat to mass conformity.
    I realise that we need workers and businesses to keep our economy flowing. but there has to be a balance between the education of the individual (who should be taught life skills alongside the plethora of useless temporary knowledge crammed in for college points) and the drive to keep the conveyor belt of potential employees rolling.

The school does not have time for this...time for what? The principal obviously has the time to take up the issue with the OP when his facial hair isn't really the issue, his failure to digress to some accepted "norm" is...
    No shortage of pupils, indeed...but a school definitely needs every single one they can get....since they are paid per capita to provide schooling.
    I'd argue that a school needs a pupil as much as a pupil needs a school...and after all, where do many schools get the majority of their funding from...the taxes and levies imposed on parents (and non parents) as applied by the dept of education.
    This principal would do well to get on with running the school and managing her teachers to teach rather than take umbrage with the appearance of a pupil's facial hair...I thought that's what they got paid for...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP unless you're gay I'd suggest shaving your beard off. Bearded 17 year olds don't get any poon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

OP - Stand your ground. Tell her you were told that it's only what's on the inside that counts, and that if she judges you for your appearance - you might turn into a ultra-racist - judging people at every given opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

tell the b!tch you'll shave your beard if she shave's her beard.
    Seriously though just ignore the b!tch and if she says anything just pay a visit to her house, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

tell the b!tch you'll shave your beard if she shave's her beard.
    Seriously though just ignore the b!tch and if she says anything just pay a visit to her house, problem solved
    Oh yeah, that'll solve things - I hear they have no rules against beards in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

OP I feel your pain. I went to a similar school to yours where teachers acted as mini dictators and made up rules as they pleased. There is nothing worse especially at your age than to be told what to do.

My best advice is knuckle down to your studies and beat her in the best way. By acing all your exams. This is most likely your first crack at a beard but trust me you have your whole life to go through the cycles-beard, clean shaven, smig etc..

Also for all the guys calling you gay, woman etc that really annoys me because there isnt one of them that doesnt get p'd off by some silly day to day rule.

Also you will have college soon where scruffy beards are almost encouraged :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I've changed my mind following the contributions of other posters. You should keep your beard and refuse to cut it. The Universal Declaration Of Human Rights passed on 10/12/48 by the General Assembly of the United Nations covers you.

Keep us posted on developments. Fight the power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

i was totally impressed by Wertz who used big words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Tell her that you're a homeless bum that can't afford shaving cream or a razor. Stop washing yourself to make it convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

kincsem wrote: »
    i was totally impressed by Wertz who used big words.

Ah come on now. At least address the points raised instead of the way I raised them. I'm a long time out of school and well out of the practice of pointless beard growing or exam cramming...I just enjoy arguing the loser's corner and I enjoy the scope the english language allows me to do that with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have to agree with [somebody?] here. OP, you are a child in school. You will have plenty of time to grow a beard when you're in College and beyond.
    Follow the rules and maybe spend less time worrying about your facial hair and more time reading or something.

Advertisement