Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed do this?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm 17 and in 6th year at the moment and i'm growing a beard, I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long. Anyway a few weeks ago I passed the school principal and she pulled me to the side and start asking me about my beard, She then told me to trim it because it looks un-hygienic and there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one. As it stands I absolutely refuse to trim it as a matter of morals.

My question is can schools do this? Is it discrimination?

In my opinion that is just like saying "You can't have that adidas bag because other students can't afford it".

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Shut up child!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

As "matter of morals"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tell her to trim her minge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

jack157 wrote: »
    She then told me to trim it because it looks un-hygienic and there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one. As it stands I absolutely refuse to trim it as a matter of morals.

...Seriously? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh for god's sake.

17 year olds with beards look ridiculous. Shave it and stop being so silly.

Next you'll be going on about wanting to wear a cravat instead of a tie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jack157

humberklog wrote: »
    As "matter of morals"? :confused:

The fact that i don't think it is morally correct for her to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

of course they can unless of course you claim they are right wing conservatives and its not that you want to grow a beard but your genetics determine it and so not your choice other than to grow one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

Mattingly! I thought I told you to shave those sideburns! that's it you're off the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yes schools can do it.
    No, it's not discrimination.
    Shave!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

...there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one...

I would love to see your school journal that reads "Pupils are not allowed grow facial hair as it is unfair on those that can't"
    My question is can schools do this? Is it discrimination?

Yes. No.
    In my opinion that is just like saying "You can't have that adidas bag because other students can't afford it".

Your opinion is wrong. Fact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's for beard sex right?

liah wrote: »
    ...Seriously? :pac:

Yeah thats what she said, I think it is a load of bull to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You would think school would be preparing you for the real world. :confused:

OP you could argue that it's discrimination, you'd probably be better off saying that you suffer from acne and your beard covers it etc. Also remember that November is "Movember" so tons of people will be growing moustaches and beards for charity so you'll get away with it.

Regarding "morals" etc....jaysus OP....

you 're right she must be an intolerant so and so - begin your arguement on her intolerance and her non right to be so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Morally she can do what she likes. Her school, her rules.

You can always go to another school if you don't like her rules.

Seriously stop being so silly and doing and saying silly things. You're making a show of yourself. Just shave the beard and give her a big smile when you go back after the mid-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ah bless him.

Remember the days when such matters were terribly important? ah bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

OP - having a bit of bum fluff doesn't actually qualify as having a beard.

Talk to them and do it exactly like this.

"I shaved this morning, I just can't *pause**LOUD BELCH* help it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Fight the powwah.....

Then shave your pubes in protest and spend all day scratching instead of studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

themadchef wrote: »
    Fight the powwah.....

Then shave your pubes in protest and spend all day scratching instead of studying.

He should shave his pubes then make eyebrows out of them with double sided sticky tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 onedaylikethis

AH JEYZUZ. Give the girl a break, if she wants to grow a beard whats the problem. Nothing wrong with a hairy muff:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Young Men grow beards so they don't get carded.

You're fooling nobody OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Find a girl with a hairy lip and demand the principal tells her to shave as well!!
    After all, its unfair to all of the other girls who can't grow one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Years ago you would have just got a slap around the ear, a kick in the arse and you would run home and shave straight away...end of story

Nowadays, I'm not so sure, everything is gone so PC that it is hard to answer your question...

You might find this an interesting read:

http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/index.asp?locID=165&docID=1977

I skimmed through it :)

Find a girl with a hairy lip and demand the principal tells her to shave as well!!
    After all, its unfair to all of the other girls who can't grow one!!

Trust me there is plenty of girls with hairy upper lips to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Career in a Union planned?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Just shave it off and stop causing trouble ya big hairy communist! You're 17, you don't have the right to do whatever you want yet.

foxinsox wrote: »
    Years ago you would have just got a slap around the ear, a kick in the arse and you would run home and shave straight away...end of story

Nowadays, I'm not so sure, everything is gone so PC that it is hard to answer your question...

Thanks for that. That reminded me of a story last year about a girl that had her hair dyed purple and she got suspended and wasn't allowed sit her leaving cert, The evening herald actually covered the story.

oh god don't encourage him ...

aarrgghhh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Tell them you can't for religious reasons.
    Problem solved, if they ask what religion you are or they there records say you are "x" religion then ask them "Do you really want to ask that Question?"

They would be setting themselves up for a possible discrimination issues.

Advertisement