Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed do this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jack157 wrote: »
    I'm 17 and in 6th year at the moment and i'm growing a beard, I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long. Anyway a few weeks ago I passed the school principal and she pulled me to the side and start asking me about my beard, She then told me to trim it because it looks un-hygienic and there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one. As it stands I absolutely refuse to trim it as a matter of morals.

My question is can schools do this? Is it discrimination?

In my opinion that is just like saying "You can't have that adidas bag because other students can't afford it".

Thanks in advanced!

for ****s sake, girls are not supposed to have beards

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jack157

Tell them you can't for religious reasons.
    Problem solved, if they ask what religion you are or they there records say you are "x" religion then ask them "Do you really want to ask that Question?"

They would be setting themselves up for a possible discrimination issues.

Oh yes, I am a married Amish man. That will go down well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Thanks for that. That reminded me of a story last year about a girl that had her hair dyed purple and she got suspended and wasn't allowed sit her leaving cert, The evening herald actually covered the story.

Years ago I was refused into a Hotel disco, because my hair was dyed blonde and spiky (apologies, it was the 80's)

Can you imagine that happening today?

I don't think so.....

I think people should be allowed have their hair whatever colour they want.

The beard thing:

If it is a "I couldn't be bothered shaving sometimes cos I'm lazy"
    I've no time for that messing and think in a professional environment it looks bad ..

If someone decided to grow a beard ...that's their business...

BUT... OP if you want to score girls, I'm sure there are statistics to back it up, I don't think the majority of women find beards attractive..

Personally ... bearded men ... I just couldn't go there... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Tell them you can't for religious reasons.

Problem solved, if they ask what religion you are or they there records say you are "x" religion then ask them "Do you really want to ask that Question?"

They would be setting themselves up for a possible discrimination issues.

good one for you Jack you new muslim convert - also do mutter under your breath "suicide" and "bomb" along with some unintelligable sh1t and you're onto a winner other wise just shave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Absurdum wrote: »
    for ****s sake, girls are not supposed to have beards

Yes but they should have the RIGHT to a beard

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Is that Kangaroo court now abandoned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Unless you can CLEARLY show its religious discrimination (such as the Sikh religion or your an orthodox Jew abiding with their codes), yes, they can ask you to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Maybe she's trying to spare you the embarrassment of looking like a retard 17 year old with a beard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake.

17 year olds with beards look ridiculous. Shave it and stop being so silly.

Next you'll be going on about wanting to wear a cravat instead of a tie.

a proper beard on a 17 year old doesn't look any more ridiculous than a beard on a 27 year old :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Trust me op, it looks silly.
    I can picture it.
    Let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kneeelix

I needed a laugh!the comments on this are priceless.
    on a serious note i came across this twice in my time in school. I had two friends, one was white with a large beard the other was black with a large blue afro. one of them got hounded by the principal. can anybody guess which one?

why not just shave it off and you and your mates wear some of those joke shop abe lincoln beards for a week. then everybody can have a beard if they so wish:D

Maybe she's trying to spare you the embarrassment of looking like a retard 17 year old with a beard.

Do you think i care if people look at me as a 17 year old retard with a beard?

The answer is No I don't care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Bob Z wrote: »
    Yes but they should have the RIGHT to a beard

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

stop oppressing transsexuals :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I thought you were a mod because of the bold, turns out I'm totally wrong. But please explain how it is a fact that he is wrong

Your opinion is wrong. Fact[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

kneeelix wrote: »
    on a serious note i came across this twice in my time in school. I had two friends, one was white with a large beard the other was black with a large blue afro. one of them got hounded by the principal. can anybody guess which one?

the transexual one?

...Lucky guess sligopark.......you win this round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Tell her it is religious discrimination because if you were a sikh then you would be allowed a beard.They treat you differently because you are not a sikh..........discrimination.

Hated rules like that when I was in school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Shave the beard and stop bein a pain in the arse, not shaving on "moral" grounds, give me a break. You're 17 not 50, i blame the dude in the hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I'm 17 and in 6th year at the moment and i'm growing a beard, I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long.

An inch long eh?

I think you should wait til Movember 1st, then style it into a Hercule Poirot.

• Advertisement

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Shave the beard and stop bein a pain in the arse, not shaving on "moral" grounds, give me a break. You're 17 not 50, i blame the dude in the hangover

Who ever said that 17 year old's can't have a opinion on morals?
    CoalBucket wrote: »
    i blame the dude in the hangover
    You blame the "dude" in the hangover for me standing up for myself? Hmmm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

How is wanting a beard a moral issue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

amdublin wrote: »
    How is wanting a beard a moral issue :confused:

The moral of it is been told to trim it because its unfair to other students that can't grow one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

You blame the "dude" in the hangover for me standing up for myself? Hmmm

It's not a moral arguement whether you are allowed to grow a beard. Do what you are told by the principal and stop taking up her time by exagerating the situation into a "moral stance". It's the school rules whether you like it or not, or whether you think it is morally correct. Thats why you are being a pain in the arse.

You are not standing up for yourself. Find an actual arguement to be morally offended by.

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for your legitimate response. I completely agree with you.

simple response....life's unfair. better they find that out now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The moral of it is been told to trim it because its unfair to other students that can't grow one.

Yeah that seems fair to me.
    So does your analogy about the addidas bag (or something).

Again, her school, her rules. If you don't like the rules just go somewhere else.

When you've left school and grown up a bit you're going to look back and cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

they can ask you anything, anyone can, but at the same time you don't HAVE to do anything (realising that there are consequences to this) If you love your beard keep it. simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I was in a similar situation to the op many years ago. I held out for about 2 weeks ignoring a few teachers telling me to shave the scruff. Then one day the co-principal pokes his head in the door while i was in class, points at me does the c'mere you gesture & 20 minutes later im walking home having been given a weeks expulsion! but i could come back the next day on the condition that i shaved my precious scraps of facial hair. Couldn't feckin believe it. Checkmate. Crafty bastards.

I shaved & went back up to the school the next day having been roared at by the folks for many hours over the issue. Thing is i was a fairly quite lad so i think my fellow classmates were quite impressed.:D

Advertisement