Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed do this?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Okay so've changed my mind.

OMG like this is so like morally wrong or something like that you teacher won't let you grow beard. Like you should like totally go into school with a beard all the time to provee your point, like omg forget about actually concentrating on like schoolwork or anything and just keep fighting this like really serious moral matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jack157

amdublin wrote: »
    When you've left school and grown up a bit you're going to look back and cringe.

Doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ah now, he mightn't actually look stupid with the beard, a cousin of mine was able to grow a massive beard when he was 16.
    So in conclusion, pics or GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 onedaylikethis

Is that Kangaroo court now abandoned?

Was it not a kangaroo disco ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

OP Tell your principal that Jesus told you to grow it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

jack157 wrote: »
    Doubt it.

Don't fight it. You will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Okay so've changed my mind.

OMG like this is so like morally wrong or something like that you teacher won't let you grow beard. Like you should like totally go into school with a beard all the time to provee your point, like omg forget about actually concentrating on like schoolwork or anything and just keep fighting this like really serious moral matter.

Fcuking hell, you must really not like beards..

You one of those who couldn't grow one..weren't ya?:pac:

storm2811 wrote: »

He is just trolling

storm2811 wrote: »

Yep I was. (Thank god cos I'm female)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Tell the truth OP. Your really in your mid 20's and you have been failing the leaving cert for years.

• Advertisement

Tell the truth OP. Your really in your mid 20's and you have been failing the leaving cert for years.

Oh you got me! Its the foundation Irish thats getting me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Thanks for your legitimate response. I completely agree with you.

Legitimate response = agreeing with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We need a picture of this beard.
    She is just jealous because hers is not as impressive.

Good for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Again, her school, her rules. If you don't like the rules just go somewhere else.

When you've left school and grown up a bit you're going to look back and cringe.

Wow, pretty patronising response, there.

It seems pretty unfair to me alright. Do you have a copy of the school manifesto? If so, does it say whether or not you are allowed to grow a beard? if not, I don't think she has the right to tell you how to look, as long as it's not offending anyone.

Honestly, I can't abide this attitude of schools trying their best to make everyone conform and look the same as everyone else. Why be so intolerant of someone looking a bit different??

Stand your ground. Best of luck :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I got shit the whole time over my hair style and colour in secondary school.

OP, Feck em, its only another few months and you'll be out of their for the rest of your life and those same teachers will be still there in 15 years time annoying some other student for no other reason than to express a power complex and you'll be off living your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Suit yourself OP, don't be disheartened by sh1te talk! Remember having a bit of a spine and not blindly following the other 'sheep', will stand to you in later life. Pass no heed of the patronising condescension from some posters in here btw.

Here I agree - suit yourself - but on your own time!!!

You are attending a school. The rule is there. It's your choice: if you don't like the rule then just tell your principal to go and sh1te and go find another school where they let you wear a beard.

Simples.

(I just really do not think a beard is worth fighting over. Like jebus pick something that really is morally wrong that really shows your ethics not some bloody facial hair. Imo it is all a bit ridiculous getting het up over something so unimportant)

Like dude think about your moral standpoint and what type of things are worth fighting for and what are not! Are there other things in life far far more important than facial hair? IMO yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OP, you did bring this question to After Hours, where you were hardly likely to get the kind of answer you want, so you can hardly complain. I know some religions like adults to wear beards, but I'm struggling to see how it could be a moral issue at all. It's just hair, it grows all over whether you like it or not, and there will come a time when the hair on your chin is thicker than the hair on your scalp.

But hey, you're 17, and you don't need old farts telling you that it's silly to define yourself by your appearance - whether it's piercings, tattoos, jeans halfway down your bum, crusty hair, emo mascara, or a beard. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What the hell is a manbearpig?

(one of the tags)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Beard pics please, OP. Then and only then can we make a judgement on whether or not your facial hair is worth fighting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

What the hell is a manbearpig?

(one of the tags)

u serial?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Beards are in, tell her feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Here I agree - suit yourself - but on your own time!!!

(I just really do not think a beard is worth fighting over. Like jebus pick something that really is morally wrong that really shows your ethics not some bloody facial hair. Imo it is all a bit ridiculous getting het up over something so unimportant)

Like dude think about your moral standpoint and what type of things are worth fighting for and what are not! Are there other things in life far far more important than facial hair? IMO yes!

Seems to me, it's the principle making it an issue, not the guy himself.

In farness, it may not seem like a big issue to you and it probably isn't in the big scheme of things, but being told to conform to some ridiculous standard for no reason other than (imo) pettiness, why on earth shouldn't you question it?? Where would we all be if we never questioned authority?

Could you imagine a 13 year old girl being pulled aside after swimming class and told to shave her armpits, lest it offends some of the slower developers? PC madness!!

As long as this guy is doing well in school and isn't a troublemaker, why on earth should the principle pick on him over such a superficial and trivial matter? Surely schools would be better off encouraging individuality instead of trying to stifle it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

To all intents & purposes, yes, they are allowed to do this. Fighting it is potentially expensive, in terms of time, effort, lost tuition, etc. School principals know that they have LC students over a barrel, and will use that leverage shamelessly. The Boards of mgt are generally in the pocket of the school head.
    Your best bet is...
    - ignore the cow till you are on the brink of suspension
    - then shave
    - then let it grow again & repeat.
    -Wait till you have completed your last & final exam, then storm into the bitches offices & let rip.

You will then have achieved the moral victory. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

I'm 17 and in 6th year at the moment and i'm growing a beard, I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long. Anyway a few weeks ago I passed the school principal and she pulled me to the side and start asking me about my beard, She then told me to trim it because it looks un-hygienic and there used to be a rule in the school forbidding students from growing a beard because it wasn't fair to other students that can't grow one. As it stands I absolutely refuse to trim it as a matter of morals.

My question is can schools do this? Is it discrimination?

In my opinion that is just like saying "You can't have that adidas bag because other students can't afford it".

Thanks in advanced!

Quote her the relevant passage from the Book of Leviticus, then out her for the blasphemstress she is.Publicly dare her to defy the WORD OF GOD.Expose her satanic ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Suit yourself OP, don't be disheartened by sh1te talk! Remember having a bit of a spine and not blindly following the other 'sheep', will stand to you in later life. Pass no heed of the patronising condescension from some posters in here btw.
    It's a beard, not a way of life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Post a pic of your beard OP!!!!

Please!!!!

I used to have a beard too (though not when I was 17) I had it for about a year and I liked it a lot (felt like a manly man). Having said that when I eventually did shave it everyone commented on how good I looked and how much younger I now looked (I was around 25 at the time). So my advice to all men is grow a beard keep it for a bit and then shave it. It will do wonders for your self esteem.

If its not a school rule anymore I don’t think she can actual tell you to shave if it is then she can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Op you need to grow a pair.
    First thing tomorrow morning i want you to kick down her door, give her the finger and tell her the beard stays and you will not conform.
    To add some emphasis to this you may like to drop your trousers and take a dump on the floor.
    Wipe your arse on your hand, rub it on the curtains and tell her you bid her good day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, nobody cares...only teenagers care about such meaningless things

Advertisement