Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed do this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

The board of management are allowed to make up whatever rules they want as long as they don't contradict the Oireachtas or break any laws. I looked into all this in great detail when I was younger.

It's all well and good to say grow the beard if you want it. But too keep the beard the OP may very well find himself constantly suspended from school and possibly not allowed to sit his leaving cert if he turned up to it with the beard. Are you really suggesting that the OP go ahead and take that risk?

If the principal has really decided that she wants the beard gone then the only thing the OP can do to keep it is a) keep it and hope for the best, take the suspensions as they come, and run the risk of not being allowed to sit his exams. Or b) organise mass protests, get all students in the school to grow a beard. Given that most students can't grow a beard he would probably need to get a few schools involved to have any impact. This is a big task and would probably fail anyway.

It's pretty stupid and not very fair, but that's just the way it is

The BOM's rules in this case, according to the OP, don't ban his beard, they just used to -what the rule once was is irrelevant, the rule that applies now is all that matters. In this instance, according the the judgment at the link, such a rule would have contravened the applicable legislation and continuing to apply it now contraves both the legislation and the current school rules.

I wasn't telling him to keep his beard, I said do it if you want. He can make his own choice. If, as you suggest it might, this brings him problems, those problems arise from arbitrary application of a defunct rule and unreasonable behaviour from the Principal, not some harmless facial hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yes, they are allowed. If schools weren't allowed to enforce dress codes there wouldn't be school uniforms.

How is a beard a dress code issue? Uniforms serve a purpose and can be removed during non school hours...things like hair and facial hair are semi-permanent.
    This nonsense of wanting to homogenise every student is a pet hate of mine...the point of a uniform is grand but wanting you to comply with personal appearance "rules" is ridiculous...how long before pupils are too fat, too thin, too this too that?

Personally I'd ask to see the charter or rules that the principal is trying to apply here and when they don't show you it, ignore them.
    Such punishment as detentions/suspensions or threatening your exam attendance is a far bigger threat to your fundamental right ot an education than the offence of failing to comply with some code of appearance.

As for the unhygenic bit? WTF? What gives her any right to make that claim? None of this nonsense when I was in school...you complied with uniform and that was it...skinhead or dread, punk or goth, beards or 'taches...all were ignored once you were in uniform (or were at least wearing the tie)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Get a job, hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

OP don't mind all these haters, they're just jealous because they can't grow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Leonid wrote: »
    Mattingly! I thought I told you to shave those sideburns! that's it you're off the team!

Listen Mr Burns i don't know what you think sideburns are..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

OP don't mind all these haters, they're just jealous because they can't grow one.
    I wonder what this stuff is on my face then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

OisinT wrote: »
    i believe the term is ''bum fluff'' if im not mistaken :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

OisinT wrote: »

Erratic pubes?

I should have anticipated the replies. :( lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm 60 so guess the OP will ignore my comments.

Your beard is 1 1/2 inches. Should you be allowed attend school with a two foot long beard? Should there be any restrictions on beards, hair length, or clothes?

You are showing off to your peers that you are more physically mature. Now you want to show your peers that no one in authority has any authority over you.

Why does society educate young people? Why have exams? You might answer that it is for your benefit. I would say it is to allow employers to pick the most able / suitable for their business based on qualifications / exam results. These businesses are the engine that gives you everything you need to exist. When you get a job the employer wants you to knuckle down and do the job. They do not want employees who try to bend the business to suit the employee. They so not have time for that.

The school does not have time for this. There is no shortage of pupils. They do not need you. You need them. You are not in a bargaining position.

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    I'm 60...
    Damn son you old! :eek:

Sorry, nothing useful to contribute :( lol

My nephew, 17, name Jack, had a beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jack157 wrote: »
    Do you think i care if people look at me as a 17 year old retard with a beard?

The answer is No I don't care

http://omg.wthax.org/y8SnI.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

kincsem wrote: »

You are showing off to your peers that you are more physically mature. Now you want to show your peers that no one in authority has any authority over you.

Why does society educate young people? Why have exams? You might answer that it is for your benefit. I would say it is to allow employers to pick the most able / suitable for their business based on qualifications / exam results. These businesses are the engine that gives you everything you need to exist. When you get a job the employer wants you to knuckle down and do the job. They do not want employees who try to bend the business to suit the employee. They so not have time for that.

The school does not have time for this. There is no shortage of pupils. They do not need you. You need them. You are not in a bargaining position.

There is no indication in anything the OP has said on which to base your assumptions on why he has chosen to grow a beard. It's a wild supposition. Are all men with beards showing off that they can grow one? Are pupils who play on a succcessful school sports team "showing off" that they're more physically mature? Would you kick the tall kids off the basketball team? Should any kid with a greater ability than others, in any area, be expected to hide it so as not to make others feel like they can't achieve? Would you take that to academic ability?

School is suppsed to be based on a broader education than "pass exams, get a job, toe the line".

As to schools not needing pupils, who would you suggest they get paid to open the doors for if they don't have pupils? The entire relationship is symbiotic.

Industry and commerce produce goods and services. Exams and results save an employer testing candidates. If you don't the results they require then you don't get an interview.

This idea about getting a rounded education is nice but we are not learning Latin and Greek, reading Homer, and doing the grand tour.

You don't win the battle when you go up against the man. I'm trying to save the OP some grief.

What does the OP want from school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

shave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I tend to look at facial hair, especially around the mouth, as soup strainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

Just grow it until u get suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Is it facial hair or pubic hair we're talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

storm2811 wrote: »
    Ah now, he mightn't actually look stupid with the beard, a cousin of mine was able to grow a massive beard when he was 16.
    So in conclusion, pics or GTFO.

[IMG][/img]http://i52.tinypic.com/v5cxu1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I keep it neat and clean. It's roughly a inch to a inch and a half long. the school principal ........pulled me ...... and start asking me about my beard, She then told me to trim it .......... there used to be a rule........... I absolutely refuse to trim it .......

3 possible solutions..

1). I dont see where she asked for a complete removal,just a tidy up trim.There is no longer a rule so she cannot do fcuk all, ignore her.

2). It is also possible she fancies you as she pulled you and started asking about your super sexy beard...My advise would be next time she speaks to you drop the hand and see is she moist as this would be a good indicator that she likes you....

3). Explain that you are a traveller and it is discrimination to ask you to shave as you are old enough to sleep with your sister and marry your cousin so you are old enough to have a beard.....in fact contact Pavee point and there is probably a f*cking grant for travellers growing beards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Principals are pricks, make their life as hard as possible and get local papers involved, maybe even a fluff piece on RTE to embarrass the twat.

If that doesn't work say that she touched you in a bad place and see her jailed, serves her right, the bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Principals are pricks, make their life as hard as possible and get local papers involved, maybe even a fluff piece on RTE to embarrass the twat.

If that doesn't work say that she touched you in a bad place and see her jailed, serves her right, the bitch.
    Mine happens to be a lovely fellow, we get on very well.

Oh and i have long hair and dont shave very regularly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

haven't read most of this thread as it's rubbish really so this may have been posted before but you should tell her it's part of your halloween costume as jesus, then next week tell her you've been selected by a movie director or something to play jesus in the nativity at christmas and hope she doesn't know that the baby jee didn't have a one inch beard. then make up some crap about jesus for easter. The passion maybe. That'll nearly get you to leaving cert and you can give her the ' i can't study cause of this negative attention crap.' or you could do the withnail thing and tell her that your beard hair is your ariel to the vibes of the ether And are the source of your powers. Or shave, whatever.

Don't forget to tell you parents you are taking a moral stance against your school principal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Do you think i care if people look at me as a 17 year old retard with a beard?

The answer is No I don't care

You remind me of that Billy piper song. I think it's called something like "Because I Want To".

If your school has a uniform you don't have much of a battle to fight. In any case your original post said the principle cited hygiene as the reason. Maybe take that hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Fuzzy wrote: »
    If a school administrator called my kids facial hair unsanitary, I would be taking exception to it, and they would be getting a solicitiors letter telling them to back down. Too many people here are telling you to roll over and take it. If more youngsters would stand up for themselves against this sort of nonsense, Ireland would be a better country for it.

Right now the country is 90% full of people who apathetically acquiesce to everything.

But I can totally appreciate the reasons for going along with her, putting the head down and putting your energy into studying hard.

If more kids acted like the op nothing would be done. You go to school, do as youre told in a sheep like manner and go home where you can rebel against your folks with loud music and stupid posters. It's a proven formula. Why mess with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I would imagine this dinosaur cannot make you shave your beard off as it would be seen as some form of discrimination. I hope there are no girls in your school, I mean one guy can't grow a beard as its deemed unfair to those who can't. What would the dinosaur do about a bird with big tits ?????? tell her to lose them as its unfair on 2 back Tina in 4th.

hitbit

The school may be allowed to do it.

There is a uniform code which you must follow. If facial hair is against the uniform code then you are out of uniform if you have facial hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

There is no indication in anything the OP has said on which to base your assumptions on why he has chosen to grow a beard. It's a wild supposition. Are all men with beards showing off that they can grow one? Are pupils who play on a succcessful school sports team "showing off" that they're more physically mature? Would you kick the tall kids off the basketball team? Should any kid with a greater ability than others, in any area, be expected to hide it so as not to make others feel like they can't achieve? Would you take that to academic ability?

School is suppsed to be based on a broader education than "pass exams, get a job, toe the line".

As to schools not needing pupils, who would you suggest they get paid to open the doors for if they don't have pupils? The entire relationship is symbiotic.

A girl in my class grew this huge rack just to stick it to those other A-cup losers.

Advertisement