Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they allowed do this?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Cabaal wrote: »
    OP, nobody cares...only teenagers care about such meaningless things

:confused:

Nobody cares? Yet you contradict yourself saying teenagers care only? :p

I went chaging schools after my JC. One school i went to refused me because I had longish hair. She said I would have to cut it, I lol'd and walked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

Enjoy the Beard fella :) don't let any nay sayers get you down.
    She has no right! Its not like you're a dinner lady

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What the hell is a manbearpig?

(one of the tags)
    he is real

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why has nobody suggested burning the school down yet? We could burn the beard down but burning hair smells awful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

jack157 wrote: »
    The fact that i don't think it is morally correct for her to do that.

Grow some hair on your balls and get some principles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

What the hell is a manbearpig?

(one of the tags)

Half man, half bear, half pig.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

humberklog wrote: »
    Grow some hair on your balls and get some principles.

Will the principal let him have hair on his balls tho? It's a slippery slope from ball hair to facial hair. Well. If you're hanging upside down it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

storm2811 wrote: »
    Half man, half bear, half pig.

no he it's half man, half bearpig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

mfceiling wrote: »
    Op you need to grow a pair.

i think thats where the problem originated from :pac:

put a birds nest in your beard op then they shave it or it would be cruelty to animals.

RESULT ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

A beard can do alot for self confidence etc for some people.

What grows on your face is not her concern. Calling you unhygenic is slander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

It's a school. They can order you not to wear certain clothes, or dye your hair, or wear visible piercings. For what it's worth, I think it probably is unfair (as are pretty much all the above rules), but you have to decide whether it's worth the effort of fighting it. Without parental support it'll be very difficult to beat, and you may simply find yourself spending time in detention or suspended instead of learning. I'd ease off on calling it a moral crusade, though: it makes you sound ridiculous. It's a question of school policy, not an act of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Leonid wrote: »
    Mattingly! I thought I told you to shave those sideburns! that's it you're off the team!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Oh and to actually reply to OP and his issue, of course the principle can tell you to get rid of the beard. Every school has rules for appearance, so she is well within her rights. But you should get all your friends to grow beards in protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It's a beard, not a way of life

Yeah, a gay way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

TheZohan wrote: »
    Regarding "morals" etc....jaysus OP....

i think this is the only thing that needed to be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

OP for the laugh you could tell her that you´ve been studying Islam for the last year and that you are trying to follow the writings of the noble Qu´ran.
    That the Prophet Muhammed, peace be upon him commanded it as his will that all muslim men should wear beards.

And that you´re fairly sure that this is religious discrimination to ask you to remove your religious facial hair.

If a school administrator called my kids facial hair unsanitary, I would be taking exception to it, and they would be getting a solicitiors letter telling them to back down. Too many people here are telling you to roll over and take it. If more youngsters would stand up for themselves against this sort of nonsense, Ireland would be a better country for it.

Right now the country is 90% full of people who apathetically acquiesce to everything.

But I can totally appreciate the reasons for going along with her, putting the head down and putting your energy into studying hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

When I was in school I had a friend who was dispraxic (pretty much means very little coordination in his hands) and the principal, knowing this, was constantly at him to shave his beard. Pretty insane to tell someone like that to take a blade to their face/neck. :eek:

I was forever getting in trouble for having my hair all sorts of insane colours so I know your pain OP. It's really not worth fighting tho, you won't win. Legally they are doing nothing wrong.

The tags for this thread are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Would you not get over yourself OP.
    Schools have policies regarding appearance, you and your parents signed up to these when you enrolled in the school. It's a bit late to be taking issue with them now. Some jobs have similar policies - no beards, hairnets to be worn etc. I'm sure exceptions would be made for religious or cultural reasons, but as you have only cultivated your moral beard in recent times, you will be regarded as a pain in the ass rather than a minority group.

In any case, while a beard on a man can look damned sexy, a beard in a school uniform always just looks a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Would you not get over yourself OP.
    Schools have policies regarding appearance, you and your parents signed up to these when you enrolled in the school. It's a bit late to be taking issue with them now. Some jobs have similar policies - no beards, hairnets to be worn etc. I'm sure exceptions would be made for religious or cultural reasons, but as you have only cultivated your moral beard in recent times, you will be regarded as a pain in the ass rather than a minority group.

In any case, while a beard on a man can look damned sexy, a beard in a school uniform always just looks a bit sad.

Get out of here. Cultural/Religous reasons should be no more valid than simply wanting one. They just want them because their imaginary god said so, I don't shave because I like how a beard looks.

OP if you like it don't shave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Saermegil

A muslim could probably grow a beard or a sikh could probably grow their hair as long as they wanted while other students are made to cut it short. Load of bull****. I got the same in school some years back, thing is teachers wouldn't let you in unshaven so I had to cave in.

Don't shave if there is no rule against it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Yes, they are allowed. If schools weren't allowed to enforce dress codes there wouldn't be school uniforms.

You should be glad your principal doesn't like your beard. It should make having it all the more enjoyable. As the old saying goes "the best beard is an illegal beard".

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭vonnie10

amdublin wrote: »
    Here I agree - suit yourself - but on your own time!!!

You are attending a school. The rule is there. It's your choice: if you don't like the rule then just tell your principal to go and sh1te and go find another school where they let you wear a beard.

Simples.

(I just really do not think a beard is worth fighting over. Like jebus pick something that really is morally wrong that really shows your ethics not some bloody facial hair. Imo it is all a bit ridiculous getting het up over something so unimportant)

Like dude think about your moral standpoint and what type of things are worth fighting for and what are not! Are there other things in life far far more important than facial hair? IMO yes!

Like anybody is going to change schools in the middle of their Leaving Cert year!!! How is that an option? don't be ridiculous !!
    Actually OP i think you have a point. If you keep your beard neat, tidy and Hygienic its absurd that you should have to shave it. It's definitely a stupid rule but unfortunately she is able to enforce it and i don't think a beard is worth getting on the wrong side of your teachers or sacrificing your grades for right in the middle of your leaving. I'd do what that other poster suggested keep it for as long as possible and then shave it and then grow it again !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

OP - the most sane answer so far is the link to the Equality Tribunal finding. I'd say you could ignore the rest of it really.

Surprising how many people seem to think Pricipals own schools and can run them how they please. They may be responsible for day-to-day running, but boards of management run schools and that Dept. of Education sets policy and disperses funds. The Oireachtas makes the laws that govern education, which schools arer not immune from - including the equality legislation. They are not oases from the law where teachers and managers can give free reign to prejudice and opinion and attempt to arbitrarily force compliance. In this case, it sems the Principal is not only ignoring all that, but also acting outside the scolls own rules. FFS.

As to the argument that you can do what you want on your own time, but not in school or comparing the beard to the school uniform - how do you suggest he grows a new beard at 4 o'clock every day, but hasn't the ability to take off his uniform when he gets home and put it on again in the morning? The argument that you're wasting her time is equally bone - she could have left you be and worried about something else, like...ohhh...your education say...

Grow the beard if you want, it's your face whatever age you find yourself at.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Judging by the amount of spineless wimps suggesting that the OP back down, I now realise where Ireland's complete inability to demonstrate or stand up for themselves comes from.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

OP - the most sane answer so far is the link to the Equality Tribunal finding. I'd say you could ignore the rest of it really.

Surprising how many people seem to think Pricipals own schools and can run them how they please. They may be responsible for day-to-day running, but boards of management run schools and that Dept. of Education sets policy and disperses funds. The Oireachtas makes the laws that govern education, which schools arer not immune from - including the equality legislation. They are not oases from the law where teachers and managers can give free reign to prejudice and opinion and attempt to arbitrarily force compliance. In this case, it sems the Principal is not only ignoring all that, but also acting outside the scolls own rules. FFS.

As to the argument that you can do what you want on your own time, but not in school or comparing the beard to the school uniform - how do you suggest he grows a new beard at 4 o'clock every day, but hasn't the ability to take off his uniform when he gets home and put it on again in the morning? The argument that you're wasting her time is equally bone - she could have left you be and worried about something else, like...ohhh...your education say...

Grow the beard if you want, it's your face whatever age you find yourself at.

The board of management are allowed to make up whatever rules they want as long as they don't contradict the Oireachtas or break any laws. I looked into all this in great detail when I was younger.

It's all well and good to say grow the beard if you want it. But too keep the beard the OP may very well find himself constantly suspended from school and possibly not allowed to sit his leaving cert if he turned up to it with the beard. Are you really suggesting that the OP go ahead and take that risk?

If the principal has really decided that she wants the beard gone then the only thing the OP can do to keep it is a) keep it and hope for the best, take the suspensions as they come, and run the risk of not being allowed to sit his exams. Or b) organise mass protests, get all students in the school to grow a beard. Given that most students can't grow a beard he would probably need to get a few schools involved to have any impact. This is a big task and would probably fail anyway.

It's pretty stupid and not very fair, but that's just the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Just shave the one side of you face, and make sure she only sees you in profile

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

This post reminds me of a bear I know. His name is Fuzzy Wuzzy...
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wuz a bear,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
    So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnae very fuzzy, wuz he?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's all well and good to say grow the beard if you want it. But too keep the beard the OP may very well find himself constantly suspended from school and possibly not allowed to sit his leaving cert if he turned up to it with the beard. Are you really suggesting that the OP go ahead and take that risk?

Conversly, would a head teacher actually go so far as to constantly suspend a student and ban him from doing the leaving cert over a bloody beard?

The question regarding board of management is fair - but have they actually made such a rule and has this rule been communicated to the students?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Conversly, would a head teacher actually go so far as to constantly suspend a student and ban him from doing the leaving cert over a bloody beard?

The question regarding board of management is fair - but have they actually made such a rule and has this rule been communicated to the students?

I don't know about the OP's school but this was definately the case in the school I went too. It was in the rules that boy's had to be clean shaven and no student was allowed any extreme hair styles. As I said previously I was suspended several times for having silly hair colours.

The year I was doing my leaving cert there was a case in an Athy school where 3 boys were stopped from doing their exams because they shaved their heads.

The OP's school definately has the ability to put him in that kind of situation, weather they would or not is down to the principal and the rules the board of management have laid out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

If they make you shave start a campaign to force the girls to shave their disgusting taches

Advertisement